• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

Jhoan

Looks like tomorrow's Deal of the Week is gonna be pretty good:

Code:
16-Apr to 22-Apr
I Am Alive - 480 (60% off)

Gotham City Impostors - 600 (50% off)

Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2-  200 (75% off)

Warhammer® 40,000®: Kill Team™-  320 (60% off)

Lara Croft The Guardian of Light  600- (50% off)

HELL YEAH! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit-  480 (60% off)

Bionic Commando Rearmed-  320 (60% off)

Bionic Commando Rearmed 2-  480 (60% off)

Black Knight Sword- 400 (50% off)

http://majornelson.com/2013/04/09/coming-soon-to-the-xbox-live-marketplace-20/

I'm definitely going to check out HELL YEAH! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit and I Am Alive. I might check out Black Knight Sword as well, but I'm a little bit iffy about that one.

Xbox Live has some pretty good deals, like those highlighted above however I do think they could offer a free game now and then, Games on Demand specifically

Grisby

I've been on the fence about I am Alive for a long time. Might pull the trigger tomorrow. For some reason I've also been curious of Space Channel 5 because that was a game I missed back in my dreamcast days.

overcast

Definitely grabbing Geometry Wars 2. Such a great price.

Highly recommend Lara Croft for that price. Had a blast playing that game.

Vert boil

I'll update throughout the day.

DOTW

Bionic Commando Rearmed - 320msp (was 800)
Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 - 480msp (was 1200)
Black Knight Sword - 400msp (was 800)
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved² - 200msp (was 800)
Gotham City Impostors - 600msp (was 1200)
HELL YEAH! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit - 480msp (was 1200)
I Am Alive - 480msp (was 1200)
Lara Croft: GoL - 600msp (was 1200)
Warhammer 40K: Kill Team - 320msp (was 800)

-----

Fruit Ninja Kinect - 320msp (was 800)

----------

Released today,

banner.png

Capcom Arcade Cabinet
--1942, Pirate Ship Higemaru and Sonson - 800msp
--Commando - 320msp
--Exed Exes (Savage Bees) - 320msp
--The Speed Rumbler - 320msp

(Individual games from the last pack will be available April 30th)
(Complete pack will be available May 21st for 2000msp. The two bonus games are 1943 kai and Vulgus.)

Are Deal Of The Week prices normally restricted to gold account holders only? It's been a while since I bought, but I thought they were always open to all?

Montresor

Dammit, I was hoping nothing on sale this week would catch my eye, but that's a really good price for Geometry Wars...

Anyhow, I'm finally finished this retail game I was working on, so I can start fighting through this XBLA backlog I've built up thanks to the last couple of sales. I just started up ilomilo and it is such a beautiful game. It has that cute fuzziness I associate with Super Mario Galaxy. Everything looks so fantastic.

aku:jiki

ilnadmy said:
How does it play? It looks like a recreation of the original PoP with the Sands of Time engine, which is promising. Guess I'll look up some videos.
It plays like classic PoP but with a very agile and easy-to-use main character.

The game was changed to free to play on PC about 4 months after release if that says anything about it.
TF2 was changed to F2P too so that doesn't really say anything... GCI is a decent game, if laggy and laughably unbalanced.

The problem with this Play To Earn thing is not only do I have to buy the games I have to play them as well.

Wait... what?
I thought the promo was buy 4 games totaling $40 and get $10 back.
The hours played is only for the avatar item.
Then you also get a free month of Gold for buying 4 games over $5 each.

Wait... what?

That is right, going by the myrewards website you just have to buy four 800+ allard titles to get 800 allards back.

4 of any arcade title gives you 1 month live

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Wait... what?
Getting all three gets you the avatar item and guaranteed VIP Exclusive for next month.

OrangeOak

That is right, going by the myrewards website you just have to buy four 800+ allard titles to get 800 allards back.

4 of any arcade title gives you 1 month live

You can also buy eight 400msp titles.
I think it's the same with time goal.You can play 20 hours of one game and it will count.
It's most definitely true for me because lately I have played almost only Happy Wars and I have this goal completed.
It wasn't clear for me at first because of this how it is showed on that picture on rewards site.

Jhoan

I'm definitely going to check out HELL YEAH! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit and I Am Alive. I might check out Black Knight Sword as well, but I'm a little bit iffy about that one.

I just checked out both games. Hell Yeah! was a lot of fun from what I played of the trial so I'm looking forward to the full game. Does anyone have any impressions on Black Knight Sword? I read that the game should be best played on Easy since the tougher difficulties make the game more frustrating.

Also, the Forza Horizon 1000 Club Expansion Pack is available to download for free so if you have the game (like me), check it out.

besiktas1

I trudged through it, that was a chore. What do you want to talk about with the end?
lol why the fuck and whoever the hell kidnapped the old man. Also the fact it felt like the game just stopped. Really bad.
Also the music/sound when your health was low. Being short/saving on resources you could walk around for 15 minutes while muffled NPCs tellingyou where to go, these sometimes important in where to go voices were also drowned out more by loud music looping.
Lol thinking of it know, definitely my Hydrophobia of last year. (Looking forward to it but playing it to find it, infuriating design choices, janky, dogshit in the end but persevering just to get a stupid ending.)

$1,500,000 revenue. Crazy when you think about it.

Yeah it is and that's only couple of weeks, game should have legs I reckon as word gets around just how crazy it is and of course a good laugh in local multiplayer.

Also highlights after a few not so exciting weeks and people talking it down that XBLA is still a viable platform, when the games are right for XBLA they will sell.

Will be curious to see how Monaco stands up next week, always had a hunch that local multiplayer games sell quite well on XBLA.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think I need to buy Geometry Wars 2.

I bought it before but my friend opened the guide on his stupid account when putting in the points so it's always a trial when I go to play it on mine -.-'

There's no easy way of only getting 200 points, is there?

Slygmous

I think I need to buy Geometry Wars 2.

I bought it before but my friend opened the guide on his stupid account when putting in the points so it's always a trial when I go to play it on mine -.-'

There's no easy way of only getting 200 points, is there?
The rewards system would take too long to get 200 points, so you'd probably have to spend money.
Why can't you play the full version though? I buy games and my roommate plays them all on her account fine. Did your friend transfer the license to another Xbox?

Btw, I'm thinking about Geo Wars 2 as well, but the demo wasn't that exciting. Are the other modes better?

Daigoro

How does it play? It looks like a recreation of the original PoP with the Sands of Time engine, which is promising. Guess I'll look up some videos.
Are this week's still up? I'm still 50/50 on picking up PoP Classic

probably too late now, but aku is right. the game is awesome. bought it last week and couldn't put it down until I beat it.

never played the original, but I loved the game. it was a good buy.

You can also buy eight 400msp titles.
I think it's the same with time goal.You can play 20 hours of one game and it will count.
It's most definitely true for me because lately I have played almost only Happy Wars and I have this goal completed.
It wasn't clear for me at first because of this how it is showed on that picture on rewards site.
I've only really played happy wars also ( and a little motocross) and have all the timer card stamps too.

Is I AM Alive a bit crap, then? Kind of assumed I'd buy it when the cheap sale price was announced but having played the trial, it's, well, yeah, a bit crap?

The general theme and platforming seems nice enough apart from a stamina bar which makes literally no sense. Climb up a ladder for 30 seconds and you'll fall off and die. A three-year-old child could stand on a ladder for 30 seconds without falling off and dying. And then your max-stamina gets reduced if you have to boost your stamina when it's run out. HOW DO HUMANS WORK?

Then there's the combat, which could have been fun. Every single fight could have been a puzzle like do you draw your gun? Who do you go for first? How do you kill them? Except then they included a totally arbitrary system of retries which means you get punished for experimenting. Really quite disappointed. Better than Deadlight though, at least.

Top Bottom