• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

aku:jiki

Randomly completed Madballs, since I was invited to join a party for the pesky 8 player online achievements, and I have to say, that was an impressive effort. It wasn't the most fun game in the world, but it was well-programmed and extremely detailed. A lot of love and effort went into that game. It's sad that the developer seems to be doing very poorly, I would've loved to see some other efforts from them to see what else they can create with that work ethic.

Doodle Jump trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiAm6P2KkIA

At least it's only $5, I guess.
I have no idea why that's a Kinect game... That looks like a pain in the ass to play, it better have a controller option. Smoking Gun does the most playable and responsive Kinect games I've seen so far, sure, but that style of game does not look fun with motion controls.

Serellan released the 1st official gameplay footage for Takedown: Red Sabre

http://youtu.be/a0VWxjEmq0s

I'm pretty happy with the progress after dumping more money that I've rather say into the Kickstarter. I can't wait to get a couple buddies together for some tactical co-op action.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Looks like there's another Arcade bundle incoming.

ilomilo, ITSP, Lazy Raiders and The Splatters.

BNV0kaYCIAESgt6.jpg:large

Rlan

I wonder what'll happen next generation with older digital titles. Will we see twisted pixel port over a Splosion Man compilation? Will we see a Castle Crashers One Edition? Will we see State of Decay have a port over and run fine?

And how many of these will be done by Iron Galaxy?

I wonder what'll happen next generation with older digital titles. Will we see twisted pixel port over a Splosion Man compilation? Will we see a Castle Crashers One Edition? Will we see State of Decay have a port over and run fine?

The lack of BC make me really sour on Next Gen. I wish they do take some of the best Xbox Live arcade game and make it available on One.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

The thought of paying for all this shit again makes me mad.

JDdelphin

The thought of paying for all this shit again makes me mad.

Indeed. Would it be so bad to give back to the staunch supporters of your last system a little?

Just a little hint that after the 360 is no longer supported, the XB1 will add BC to digital titles to get all of us to hop on over right away would be enough to make all thoughts of any sort of PS vanish from my mind

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The only reason I'm in any way annoyed by lack of BC... is because this gen lasted so long, and I spent more money in it, than probably any other. TE Stick, subscriptions, digital downloads, 2nd systems after first ones broke (I had to get like 2 or 3 PS2s, so this wasn't as bad, really)... yeah, there was a lot of history over these few years.

But in a way, I'm also kind of glad the line is being cut off. How much do we hear "Why would I buy this, when the system has a game, 4 years old, for a cheap price, that I can buy instead", within this, and many other threads?

There are a LOAD of games on PS1, 2, and Xbox (and older!) that I'd still like to play when I wish, so I understand the pain. And I wish the system publishers would just flat out say "We'll release software that allows you to play all your old digital content on the new systems, but it'll take time to develop! Expect it a year after launch!" right now....

.... but for the immediate future, I'm ok. I never once purchased a game with the thought of "Yay, now I'll be able to play this same game 23 years later! SCORE!". I bought them because I wanted to play them at the time, with my friends, or alone. Generally, I plan to get my moneys worth out of it, upon the time of purchase. Anything beyond that is just extra.

And GAF, being a place where those who MAKE games also hang out, has made me appreciate the game creators a lot more. I feel kinda bad, if I spend $100 dollars on some second-hand version of Lunar SSSC, and then see Victor Ireland hanging around a thread. "Man... my new purchase didn't give you a dime!" would run through my head.

Or to hear the recent passing of the Artist who made the cover for Secrets of Mana. "Hey, I loved Mana! I wish I saw more of your work in games!" comes to mind, but then "... you know, I probably purchased the game used..." and "I don't know if you ever saw any monetary support from my love of you work, in your entire lifetime :("

Feels Bad, y'know?

If digital libraries are respected going forward, and port-ups of games give a discount, but still cost something reasonable, I have no issue with this. Maybe I'll stop hearing about studio closing as often, and less "200 people lost their jobs!" Thread titles. That would ultimately make me much happier, than free Back-Compat.

G17

I'd definitely be willing to double dip to have Battleblock Theatre and Trials playable on the Xbox One. Especially Battleblock since it's only been 2 months since it's come out.

The only reason I'm in any way annoyed by lack of BC... is because this gen lasted so long, and I spent more money in it, than probably any other. TE Stick, subscriptions, digital downloads, 2nd systems after first ones broke (I had to get like 2 or 3 PS2s, so this wasn't as bad, really)... yeah, there was a lot of history over these few years.

But in a way, I'm also kind of glad the line is being cut off. How much do we hear "Why would I buy this, when the system has a game, 4 years old, for a cheap price, that I can buy instead", within this, and many other threads?

There are a LOAD of games on PS1, 2, and Xbox (and older!) that I'd still like to play when I wish, so I understand the pain. And I wish the system publishers would just flat out say "We'll release software that allows you to play all your old digital content on the new systems, but it'll take time to develop! Expect it a year after launch!" right now....

.... but for the immediate future, I'm ok. I never once purchased a game with the thought of "Yay, now I'll be able to play this same game 23 years later! SCORE!". I bought them because I wanted to play them at the time, with my friends, or alone. Generally, I plan to get my moneys worth out of it, upon the time of purchase. Anything beyond that is just extra.

And GAF, being a place where those who MAKE games also hang out, has made me appreciate the game creators a lot more. I feel kinda bad, if I spend $100 dollars on some second-hand version of Lunar SSSC, and then see Victor Ireland hanging around a thread. "Man... my new purchase didn't give you a dime!" would run through my head.

Or to hear the recent passing of the Artist who made the cover for Secrets of Mana. "Hey, I loved Mana! I wish I saw more of your work in games!" comes to mind, but then "... you know, I probably purchased the game used..." and "I don't know if you ever saw any monetary support from my love of you work, in your entire lifetime :("

Feels Bad, y'know?

If digital libraries are respected going forward, and port-ups of games give a discount, but still cost something reasonable, I have no issue with this. Maybe I'll stop hearing about studio closing as often, and less "200 people lost their jobs!" Thread titles. That would ultimately make me much happier, than free Back-Compat.
I put this in another thread somewhere - but what if Sony sold an emulation wrapper for ps1 and ps2 games? I'd buy it. They could say, "hey, we spent some time developing this and it's an official way to play all your ps1 and ps2 discs. But it'll cost you $19.99 for the ps1 emulator and $29.99 for the ps2 one."

You know they have the tech. I believe someone got into the code of the ps2 classics they're selling on PSN and determined its pretty much universal code. I know the ps1 BC on ps3 is hardware based but, c'mon, you know a ps4 is powerful enough to do both of these.

Back to XBLA - I fully expect the top 50 or so hits to be ported eventually, either as stand alone titles or bundles. They WILL do it.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I put this in another thread somewhere - but what if Sony sold an emulation wrapper for ps1 and ps2 games? I'd buy it. They could say, "hey, we spent some time developing this and it's an official way to play all your ps1 and ps2 discs. But it'll cost you $19.99 for the ps1 emulator and $29.99 for the ps2 one."

You know they have the tech. I believe someone got into the code of the ps2 classics they're selling on PSN and determined its pretty much universal code. I know the ps1 BC on ps3 is hardware based but, c'mon, you know a ps4 is powerful enough to do both of these.

Back to XBLA - I fully expect the top 50 or so hits to be ported eventually, either as stand alone titles or bundles. They WILL do it.

I'd be totally up for it (it'd be much more through), though I'd prefer a way that gave some money to the original devs, too.

I had an old Atari when I was young, that I'd have to buy a new RF connector for every 2 or 3 months, because the things eventually would just... break. Tracking one down in the local radioshacks was a hassle. And then rebuying old consoles (of questionable quality) in order to re-play old games is a crapshoot in and of itself.

20/30 bucks to avoid all that hassle, and have official support, that can be updated online at any time, would be a bargain, and so low-hassle!

I must have spent around 60+ hours on Battleblock Theatre, really do enjoy the levels. I'm 3 levels away from A+ all of the levels on insane, already A+ them all on normal, single player.

Still haven't unlocked all the prisoners though, always like doing challenges for new prisoners. Behemoth have done a good job attaching them to specific highlighted user created levels.

Montresor

Any tips for Doritos Crash Course 2? I just started the game. I got a big message at startup saying I was receiving rewards for playing the original. Seems I have 15 medallions and I already have every single jinx and power-up unlocked when I browse through the in-game shop.

So how do I get medallions? I beat the very first level, and I have the choice of spending stars or medallions to unlock the next level. I don't think I'm going to spend any medallions until I know exactly how the game works....

Any tips for Doritos Crash Course 2? I just started the game. I got a big message at startup saying I was receiving rewards for playing the original. Seems I have 15 medallions and I already have every single jinx and power-up unlocked when I browse through the in-game shop.

So how do I get medallions? I beat the very first level, and I have the choice of spending stars or medallions to unlock the next level. I don't think I'm going to spend any medallions until I know exactly how the game works....
It's a free to play game; the coins are the currency you can purchase to buy stuff in the game. The point of the game, however, is to collect stars, so as long as you do that you can unlock every level and every alternate route.

And you didn't unlock anything permanently, aside from levels. Jinxes and powerups are consumables you buy with real money, but they're never needed for anything.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Take the game a level at a time, try to finish off one level before moving on to the next. Spend your coins on opening levels, not on buying cosmetic stuff, unless you want to have to spend or grind when you get to the end of the game.

Always hold down run, and get use to easing off the run button periodically to avoid tripping (typically I let go of run and press it again while I'm mid-air).

I concur with what's been said. Go for the first level in gold, then unlock its path and look for all the stars. With what you get, unlock the second level and its path at the same time then go for every star. After that, get at least the silver medal. Then repeat the process for every level at a time.

JDdelphin

So I've been trying to get into comic jumper... holy crap.
I wish Twisted Pixel had a forum where I could ask them if they intentionally brought in every annoying game dynamic on purpose or if they think annoying crap is fun or what...

'Remember all those parts of Contra that you hated as a child? Yo, we got those! Only now you can't even see what's going on! Yeah! Remember those awful shootinng gallery interfaces where your crosshairs are the speed of a cold slug? We put that with some slick and unresponsive downhill 'avoid the things because you can't stop' awesomeness! Hybrid!'

I'm waiting for a NES TMNT timed underwater bomb diffusion level, the Earthworm Jim Peter Puppy level, a Conkers Bad Fur day rocket skateboard lava race, and the rest of the game to become an exact port of RESCUE: the embassy mission... along with any other gaming widowmaker from my childhood...

At least let me see what the hell I'm doing... is that so much to ask?

So I've been trying to get into comic jumper... holy crap.
I wish Twisted Pixel had a forum where I could ask them if they intentionally brought in every annoying game dynamic on purpose or if they think annoying crap is fun or what...

'Remember all those parts of Contra that you hated as a child? Yo, we got those! Only now you can't even see what's going on! Yeah! Remember those awful shootinng gallery interfaces where your crosshairs are the speed of a cold slug? We put that with some slick and unresponsive downhill 'avoid the things because you can't stop' awesomeness! Hybrid!'

I'm waiting for a NES TMNT timed underwater bomb diffusion level, the Earthworm Jim Peter Puppy level, a Conkers Bad Fur day rocket skateboard lava race, and the rest of the game to become an exact port of RESCUE: the embassy mission... along with any other gaming widowmaker from my childhood...

At least let me see what the hell I'm doing... is that so much to ask?

Might as well expect a future chapter being devoted to every aspect of Friday the 13th for NES. And I liked the Peter Puppy stuff (we talking about the bouncing them with the giant marshmallow?).

But yeah, I know I've been fairly vocal in this thread a couple times in the past but I don't think Twisted Pixel makes fun games. The closest they've come has been Splosion Man (and what I've played of the sequel). But even then there's numerous frustrating elements and I also find both of those games incredibly hard to play for more than a few levels at a time. And to be fair I haven't played Gunstringer, so perhaps it's absolutely amazing.

I think they have some creative folks but it feels like they're too deep into their own game to see any flaws since there's obvious tweaks that need to be made. As every review and player has pointed out everything takes too many shots to kill. And that's the main gameplay. I recall not liking the general character movement as well but it's been awhile so I can't recall specifics.

Despite this I still give them a shot and I own most every Twisted Pixel game. And I'm sure I'll continue to support most their efforts because I like to see their creativity rewarded in the small way I can but at the same time it means I can't recommend their games to others in terms of providing a fun experience.

Rlan

So did anyone pick up the D&D Collection? Looks like I might be able to follow this one's leaderboards, but I need someone who actually owns it to check :p

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So did anyone pick up the D&D Collection? Looks like I might be able to follow this one's leaderboards, but I need someone who actually owns it to check :p

Surely. It's got no "quick scroll to the bottom" option, but it seems like it should eventually scroll to the bottom. I'll take a look next time I boot up the game.

Rlan

Surely. It's got no "quick scroll to the bottom" option, but it seems like it should eventually scroll to the bottom. I'll take a look next time I boot up the game.

If you've got a second account to play on, just do poorly or get one of the things it's asking for, and you should be on the bottom :)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
If you've got a second account to play on, just do poorly or get one of the things it's asking for, and you should be on the bottom :)

6,455 as of 10:18 AM EST. XP Gained -> My Score (+1 by 10:28)
6,440 as of 10:23 AM EST. SP Earned -> My Score boards.

It wouldn't take my "kill him and be done with it" score of 0, so I had to actually fight a bit, and scroll down for a few minutes.

Not bad numbers for something that was released on so many systems already, but I guess Local Co-Op could be over-inflating it.

Maxxan

Since I'm new to xbla, would anyone care to give me some insights into the following titles: Shadow Complex, Fez, Deadlight and Mark of the Ninja? I can afford two, perhaps three, of them :p

Since I'm new to xbla, would anyone care to give me some insights into the following titles: Shadow Complex, Fez, Deadlight and Mark of the Ninja? I can afford two, perhaps three, of them :p

Shadow Complex - amazing metroidvania game, must buy.
Fez - eh.
Deadlight - eh, avoid.
Mark of the Ninja - incredible game. Possibly the best stealth game released this gen.

Buy Shadow Complex and Mark of the Ninja. If you have 1600 left, also buy State of Decay. All three will keep you busy for a very, very long time.

RETROEX

only Deadlight is a bit meh... the rest of the games you listed are must own... unless you have a PC.. then is just Shadows Complex

OnPoint

Shadow Complex - amazing metroidvania game, must buy.
Fez - eh.
Deadlight - eh, avoid.
Mark of the Ninja - incredible game. Possibly the best stealth game released this gen.

Buy Shadow Complex and Mark of the Ninja. If you have 1600 left, also buy State of Decay. All three will keep you busy for a very, very long time.

I can't agree, FEZ was an accomplishment. Maxxan, download the demo for yourself and see for yourself before passing it up.

Maxxan

Cool, thanks for all the feedback guys! Looks like I will be passing on Deadlight (shame on such a cool concept though) and get the other three :D

Jhoan

I personally got bored of playing Fez so I cannot recommend it. I think State of Decay is pretty damn good and it's getting better with updates. Conversely, I think it's best to wait until tomorrow's decent sale.

I'll admit I haven't dedicated a lot of time to it, but what I have played of it I have found to be mostly average.
There is nothing average about a game that invents its own alphabet and forces you to decipher it, to just name one of the countless puzzles in the game. It's an extremely creative game. Though it gets minus points for having the biggest, most mysterious puzzle in the game lead to...absolutely nothing.

And normally I'm the harsh guy that hates every game, but I didn't find Deadlight as bad as other people did. It looks absolutely beautiful at times, and the gameplay was inoffensive when it wasn't at least pretty fun. I guess it's still 1200MSP, though, and I'm not sure it's worth that.

Labadal

Buy Shadow Complex and Mark of the Ninja.

SC is a game in the same vein as the Metroid games. Explore, see places you can't reach, come back there with new abilities.

Mark of the Ninja is an amazing 2D stralth game.

Two of my favorite games on XBLA.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I enjoyed all four. Only Shadow Complex is XBLA exclusive, so start with that.

Deadlight is the least well liked of the four for many people although I very much enjoyed it.

There is nothing average about a game that invents its own alphabet and forces you to decipher it, to just name one of the countless puzzles in the game. It's an extremely creative game. Though it gets minus points for having the biggest, most mysterious puzzle in the game lead to...absolutely nothing.

Sounds like I need to dedicate some time to it, but where to fit it in? Might serve as a good cool-down game after a session of TLoU or SoD.

I'm guessing there's no gameplay differences in that version? Loved the game so much that I would double dip if there was.

Also, the USB stick should've totally been the Hamdrax, not a stupid iron pickaxe.

Vert boil

Updating at the moment, double check prices before buying. I'll update throughout the day.

DOTW

Bloodforge - 600msp (was 1200)
Fire Pro Wrestling - 400msp (was 800)
Fruit Ninja - 400msp (was 800)
Limbo - 600msp (was 1200)
Perfect Dark - 400msp (was 800)
Sine Mora - 600msp (was 1200)
Spelunky - 600msp (was 1200)
Toy Soldiers - 400msp (was 800)
Toy Soldiers: Cold War - 600msp (was 1200)

-----

CoD: Blops 2 - 3200msp/40$ (was 4800/60$) US price, check your region
(lots of tat as well)

Deca Sports Freedom - 1600msp/20$ (was 3200/40$) US price, check your region

Gears of War: Judgement
--Digital Armor Skin - 200msp (was 400)
--Epic Armor Skin Pack - 1900msp (was 2800)
--Epic Weapon Skin Pack - 1100msp (was 1600)
--Total Skin pack - 2700msp (was 4000)
--VIP Pass - 1200msp (was 1600)

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier - 1600msp/20$ (was 2400/30$) US price, check your region

Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth - 2400msp/30$ (was 4000/50$) US price, check your region

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (2 and 3) - 1600msp/20$ (was 2000/25$) US price, check your region

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD - 1200msp/15$ (was 1600/20$) US price, check your region

Saints Row: The Third - 2400msp/30$ (was 4000/50$) US price, check your region

Silent Hill: Downpour - 1600msp/20$ (was 3200/40$) US price, check your region

Sonic Free Riders - 800msp/10$ (was 2000/25$) US price, check your region

Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2012 - 1600msp/20$ (was 2400/30$) US price, check your region

-----
Gold only offers,
These should expire at the end of this week, June 30th.

Fable 3 - free

Joy Ride Turbo - free (Japanese Gold account needed)

----------

Released today,

boxartlg.jpg

Kinect Sports Gems: Boxing Fight - 240msp, 301MB.
(cheaper in CA again, 160msp)

Top Bottom