• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

DVI6voI.png

tcjSsTh.png

:eek:

What is this?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Looks like Guardian Heroes HD is permanently 160 points now, just checked the Marketplace and saw that, while all the rest of the Sega games went back to their regular prices - just a heads-up for anyone that might have missed that.

Montresor

Yeah, my mistake was trying to save my money and not buy gear. The game was frustrating and stupid-hard then. With some money spent on armor, the game got a lot easier and more fun.

This. That part of the game is god awful. I'm stuck in all three districts I'm currently trying to play through right now, because I cannot find a good dual sword or two-handed sword character. There's no point in me buying a rating 13 guy, that's just a waste of money. I just have to grind easy fights over and over and try to pass the time and pray that the game randomizes up some gladiators that don't completely suck ass.

Even worse is that I beat the first boss, Onomeus, and leveled up my fame by doing so. Leveling up your fame automatically refrehses the gladiator purchasing screen, which means that the game cycled away Onomeus! I can't buy him now... I hear he comes back but that's just annoying. I wanted him now, even killed off a gladiator to free up a slot.

This game sounds horrible man... You were bitching about it when you didn't spend money and now that you've spent money on the microtransactions it's fun? I'll try to keep an open mind if I ever try it but it sounds like a pay-to-win game rather than a free-to-play game.

I used to have reservations about Doritos Crash Course 2 but it is soooo good, and you don't have to spend a single cent. I haven't spent a dime on the game and I'm well on my way to the 400/400.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
This game sounds horrible man... You were bitching about it when you didn't spend money and now that you've spent money on the microtransactions it's fun? I'll try to keep an open mind if I ever try it but it sounds like a pay-to-win game rather than a free-to-play game.

I used to have reservations about Doritos Crash Course 2 but it is soooo good, and you don't have to spend a single cent. I haven't spent a dime on the game and I'm well on my way to the 400/400.

Haven't played the game yet, but the other posters it sounds like they're talking about the in-game money you earn, not actual money/MS points.

aku:jiki

Haven't played the game yet, but the other posters it sounds like they're talking about the in-game money you earn, not actual money/MS points.
Yes. Silver is free currency earned from fights, gold is the paid-for currency (that you also get free from leveling up). I haven't spent an actual cent on the game.

Lima

So I found Joy Ride Turbo on my HDD. Seems like I bought it and forgot about it (I do this a lot with digital titles).

Just started playing this today though and I'm having fun with it. It is actually pretty cool. Wouldn't have thought that since that Kinect game sucked so much.

mujun

I really like Spartacus except for the way the engine hitches, low framerate and the brutal jump in difficulty. How the hell am I supposed to beat the first boss Onomaeus or whatever his name is? Grinding?

Lima

Yup that is usually how a F2P game works. Either grinding out shit or just not wasting your time and paying to win. Fucking hate that game model. If this is the future of gaming I want no part in it.

Any word on wether Doodle Jump has a controller option or not? No way do I want to play a hectic platformer by jumping around in front of my TV. I'll be evicted after 20 minutes!

Or paying.
But it doesn't work like that and they fucked up the F2P model pretty badly. What you can buy with gold is just a shortcut to items/characters available at later levels, but it's not like the game offers you a level 45 character when you're level 5. It offers you a level 7 character. He's not going to have much more luck with the boss with that. Ubisoft is being incredibly stupid with this, they're trying to keep the game balance by not allowing pay to win, but that means that they're not offering anything worth buying.

On top of that, gold is incredibly expensive and absolutely not worth it. I'm level 13, out of 50, and I'm already seeing weapons that cost 35-40 gold, and they're just level 17 weapons. What's a level 35 weapon going to cost; 250 gold? That's over 1600MSP. For one weapon that you would be able to buy with free currency 2-3 hours later. Who the fuck does Ubi think is going to do that? This game is going to make 0 dollars.

I really like Spartacus except for the way the engine hitches, low framerate and the brutal jump in difficulty. How the hell am I supposed to beat the first boss Onomaeus or whatever his name is? Grinding?
There is quite a lot of grinding to get your fame up, yes, but you can beat Oenemaus by buying a semi-decent dual dagger or dual sword character and, in the fight, holding down on the left stick and mashing X. Yes, the game is that easy to break!

Vert boil

Any word on wether Doodle Jump has a controller option or not? No way do I want to play a hectic platformer by jumping around in front of my TV. I'll be evicted after 20 minutes!

You can only play with the kinect. You just move sideways and do things with your arms, no need to jump.

It's Kinect only, and shit, naturally. The game itself actually could be pretty good, because it has decent scoring mechanics and so would be quite fun to battle on leaderboards. It also looks really good, it's bright and colourful, and Doodle Jump has always been a good game.

The problem, naturally, is the controls. They seemed to work well enough but the whole time you're asking yourself what the point is. It's just control by gestures, like basically every single "motion control" game aside from Dance Central is. You move left and right to move left and right, but you could do that on a controller. You clap to activate powers but that's just the equivalent of "press A." Every single thing the game does has its equivalent on the controller, and so it's just completely and utterly pointless.

When Kinect is exciting (so, just Dance Central) it's because it's giving us experiences that we simply can't get on a controller, or that are genuinely improved because of the way the controls are implemented. Doodle Jump is a controller game with its buttons mapped to gestures, and so is just a waste of time.

I'll probably get it if it's ever 160pts though.

You can only play with the kinect. You just move sideways and do things with your arms, no need to jump.

You jump to go higher on trampolines

It's Kinect only, and shit, naturally. The game itself actually could be pretty good, because it has decent scoring mechanics and so would be quite fun to battle on leaderboards. It also looks really good, it's bright and colourful, and Doodle Jump has always been a good game.
I really don't get the point of that. I can find some dumb fun in pretending to swing a baseball bat in Home Run Stars and likewise throwing the pitch in Diabolical Pitch, so even though both game designs would've been playable with a controller, I can understand why they're Kinect games. It just is kinda fun to pretend to bat.

But I don't understand the point of making a Kinect platformer at all. That doesn't sound any more fun than using a controller in any possible way.

excowboy

Major Nelson said:
Next week, the Xbox Live Marketplace will kick off their “Ultimate Game Sale” and they sent over this list of upcoming titles that are scheduled to be on sale. There will be different titles on-sale at different times during the week, and while I don’t know exactly what will be on sale when or for how much, I’ll tweet out details and make a blog post each time a new groups of titles goes on sale. Here’s the full list of titles that will go on sale over the course of next week:

Assassin’s Creed 3
Bioshock Infinite
Borderlands 2
Brothers in Arms: Hell’s Highway
Bulletstorm
Command and Conquer Red Alert 3
Crysis
Crysis 3
Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga
Dragon Age Origins
Far Cry 3
Far Cry Instincts Predator
Forza Horizon
Gears Judgement
Hasbro Family Game Night 3
Hitman Absolution
Kinect Sports 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Lego Batman 2: DC Superheroes
Lego Lord of the Rings
Mass Effect
Max Payne 3
Metal Gear Rising: Revengence
Monopoly Streets
Perfect Dark Zero
Prey
Rockstar Table Tennis
The Orange Box
Tomb Raider
Witcher 2
WWE 13 GonD
X-com: Enemy Unknown

I'll be looking out for Far Cry 3. Just picked up X-Com last week, so hopefully this won't be too cheap! (although its still £45 on GoD at the moment anyway... o_O)

SummitAve

Banned
Yup that is usually how a F2P game works. Either grinding out shit or just not wasting your time and paying to win. Fucking hate that game model. If this is the future of gaming I want no part in it.

I disagree. I think it is more representative of a licensed title than a f2p game. Regardless, the frame rate makes it damn near unplayable.

Lima

In all F2P games that I have played I hit a point where I had to grind or resort to paying money. That is just bad design for me. I don't like it one bit.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Boo at getting me excited over a GoD only sale in the XBLA thread!

Heh, not like the GoD thread is going to be the stage for much excitement :p

I own:
Assassin’s Creed 3
Bioshock Infinite
Bulletstorm
Crysis
Dragon Age Origins
Left 4 Dead 2
Mass Effect
Max Payne 3
Monopoly Streets
Perfect Dark Zero
Prey
Rockstar Table Tennis
The Orange Box

Maybe if the price is right:
Borderlands 2 - $5-7.50
Far Cry 3 - $5-7.50
Hitman Absolution - $3-5
Lego Batman 2: DC Superheroes - $1-3
Lego Lord of the Rings - $1-3
Tomb Raider - $7.50-10
X-com: Enemy Unknown - $5

Nope (either because I'd rather on PC or because you couldn't pay me to take them):
Brothers in Arms: Hell’s Highway
Command and Conquer Red Alert 3
Crysis 3
Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga
Far Cry Instincts Predator
Forza Horizon
Gears Judgement
Hasbro Family Game Night 3
Kinect Sports 2
Metal Gear Rising: Revengence
Witcher 2
WWE 13 GonD

JDdelphin

I just picked a double dagger guy and spammed hold down+XXXXXXXXX over and over.
Beat him first try. :/

You can get a long way with double dagger d+XXXXXXX I've found.

Anyone else have any move chain for another style the AI/a particular style can't really deal with?

Vert boil

Interesting to see the Cloudberry Kingdom cover.

Any word on when it releases?

Nothing official, devs have just said the next couple of months.

Wikipedia dude has it down for the last Wednesday of July but he's had a few misses lately, probably due to SoA shenanigans.

Maybe if the price is right:
Borderlands 2 - $5-7.50
Far Cry 3 - $5-7.50
Hitman Absolution - $3-5
Tomb Raider - $7.50-10

That's a stretch, even if this was a Steam sale. No way Microsoft would go that low on these.
I could definitely see the older games like Prey going for $1-3 though.

Holy crap at those Minecraft numbers!

Some more new heads in Battleblock, one for logging in and one for completing a playlist.

I've tried the solo playlist but I'm stuck as hell on the ninth level. I can't work it out at all. I can get to a bit with some fans where you have a one-block gap to jump through over some spikes but yeah, fans pointing down make a jump impossible. I've no idea what I'm supposed to do to get through that.

JDdelphin

Awesome! Thank you

I really wish they'd toss everything up at once, or at least let people know prices ahead of time... There's a few things I'd like On Demand [or would grab if stupid cheap]
-only I have a limited amount of points to spend and will more than likely pass up something I would get on the off chance of getting something else in the future [but then don't because what I was holding out for was barely on sale]
There were three or four games last GoD sale I would've gotten if I wasn't holding out... :/

sangreal

I'll be looking out for Far Cry 3. Just picked up X-Com last week, so hopefully this won't be too cheap! (although its still £45 on GoD at the moment anyway... o_O)

xcom will be $19.99

Borderlands 2 - $5-7.50
Far Cry 3 - $5-7.50
Hitman Absolution - $3-5
Tomb Raider - $7.50-10

Prepare to be disappointed

I just picked a double dagger guy and spammed hold down+XXXXXXXXX over and over.
Beat him first try. :/

You can get a long way with double dagger d+XXXXXXX I've found.

Anyone else have any move chain for another style the AI/a particular style can't really deal with?
Down+Y for trident, XXX for shield+spear, down+XXX for dual sword, YY for two-handed sword and forward+YY for two-handed hammer. The game has almost zero balance or thought behind the fighting mechanics. Can't believe this company thinks that they specialize in fighting games...

This weekend is double fame weekend, supposedly. They might skip it and focus on the server issues, I think. But if it does kick in, I'm going to give it a few hours to see how much it speeds up the grind before I decide if I'm going to bother with level 50 or not.

Hope you don't mind me putting them into price order, from highest to lowest in $.
I did add the current GoD GBP £ price too, although that confuses things more as the prices really do vary from USA-UK.
So as region specific GoD sale amounts may apply?

Linkified w/pre-sale price (as of 6/28):

$60

Bioshock Infinite £49.99 UK

Crysis 3 £49.99 UK

Far Cry 3 £24.99 UK

WWE 13 GonD £19.99 UK

$50

Metal Gear Rising: Revengence £44.99

$40

Assassin’s Creed 3 £24.99 UK

Borderlands 2 £49.99 UK

Forza Horizon £39.99 UK

Gears Judgement £49.99 UK

Max Payne 3 £24.99 UK

X-com: Enemy Unknown £49.99 UK

Witcher 2 £19.99 UK

$30

Brothers in Arms: Hell’s Highway £11.99 UK

Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga £14.99 UK

Hasbro Family Game Night 3 £19.99 UK

Hitman Absolution £19.99 UK

Kinect Sports 2 £19.99 UK

Left 4 Dead 2 £19.99

Lego Lord of the Rings £24.99 UK

Monopoly Streets £19.99 UK

Tomb Raider £19.99 UK

$20

Bulletstorm £14.99 UK

Crysis £14.99 UK

Far Cry Instincts Predator £11.99 UK

Lego Batman 2: DC Superheroes£14.99

The Orange Box £14.99 UK

Prey £14.99 UK

$15

Command and Conquer Red Alert 3 £14.99 UK

Dragon Age Origins £14.99 UK

Mass Effect £11.99 UK

Perfect Dark Zero £11.99 UK

Rockstar Table Tennis £11.99 UK

Edit- For some reason I thought this was the sale thread and not the XBLA thread, may shift this into the appropriate thread as it's a great list compiled by blackMamba1187.

Disgraceful that games like BS:Infinite and Judgement are still £50. Even more so that were even put up for that price in the first place.

How does charging £10 more than retail even make sense?

Labadal

I bought Skulls of the Shogun yesterday and I'm really enjoying it. Not many turn based strategy games on XBLA, but I'd have to say that this is the best one from what little I have played. I did read/hear that it didn't do well in sales which is a big disappointment. I hope they do better on STEAM.

Brakara

Disgraceful that games like BS:Infinite and Judgement are still £50. Even more so that were even put up for that price in the first place.

How does charging £10 more than retail even make sense?

It's the official MSRP. Steam works the same way, as new and recent games are usually priced €10-15 higher than retail here. If Steam didn't have those mega sales, it would be as shit as GoD.

- Dragon's Lair
- Diabolical Pitch
- Wreckateer
- Haunt
- Home Run Stars
That's actually a pretty good pack. That's all the playable, even kind of enjoyable, Kinect games on XBLA. Aside from Fruit Ninja, I suppose.

labadal said:
I bought Skulls of the Shogun yesterday and I'm really enjoying it. Not many turn based strategy games on XBLA, but I'd have to say that this is the best one from what little I have played. I did read/hear that it didn't do well in sales which is a big disappointment. I hope they do better on STEAM.
Wait, Skulls is a Microsoft-owned game. Do those actually show up on Steam? I thought they just went to the Windows Store or whatever it is.

Also, there's Military Madness, Vandal Hearts, Band of Bugs, Commanders, Greed Corp and Panzer General on XBLA. I don't know which one's the best but if you like the genre, there's lots more to check out after you finish Skulls.

Noogy

Wait, Skulls is a Microsoft-owned game. Do those actually show up on Steam? I thought they just went to the Windows Store or whatever it is.

Microsoft published, not owned. In this case they self-published on Steam, but Microsoft does publish plenty of games on Steam, including Deadlight, Mark of the Ninja, and my own Dust: An Elysian Tail.

Top Bottom