• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbone Gamerpics are Poorly Implimented

Ape

Banned
Flipping through the shitty selection this morning I started to wonder - why can't I upload a .png file? Why can't I take a pic of myself with Kinect? Why doesn't MS have more pics by now (it's been over a year guys).

It feels like they want your identity to be an avatar picture, not sure though. Am I the only one who really likes the assortment of options available to me on the 360? Maybe this isn't a big deal, it just feels like it to me for some reason.

Madness

I was on earlier and I noticed my generic viking image was turned into some cartoon viking with an axe or something.

They definitely need a crap ton more gamerpics and it sucks that I couldn't use my Halo ones I had bought on Xbox 360. Made the mistake of trying out one of the new ones and I can't get my Xbox 360 one back with the small image and gray border anymore.

Ape

Banned
Because they'd like to sell you Gamerpics instead.

Dickpics.

You could take pics of yourself on the 360. A feature they removed for the Xbone.

Can't we upload files to the ps4? It seems like another backwards decision to keep that away from Xbox owners.

I just want to know why it was impossible to just resize the 360 ones so I don't see all these mini pics inside a frame from friends on 360.

Flipping through the shitty selection this morning I started to wonder - why can't I upload a .png file? Why can't I take a pic of myself with Kinect? Why doesn't MS have more pics by now (it's been over a year guys).

It feels like they want your identity to be an avatar picture, not sure though. Am I the only one who really likes the assortment of options available to me on the 360? Maybe this isn't a big deal, it just feels like it to me for some reason.

pimp shark proves the opposite of this claim
th

Portugeezer

Gold Member
You could take pics of yourself on the 360. A feature they removed for the Xbone.

Can't we upload files to the ps4? It seems like another backwards decision to keep that away from Xbox owners.

Yes, but only friends who requested real name will see it.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Not sure they cant do it like 360. Uploaded pics can only be seen by favourites/friends, everyone else sees generic.

Just like PS4 has now.

It really is amazing how much these two switched places this gen.

Ape

Banned
Not sure they cant do it like 360. Uploaded pics can only be seen by favourites/friends, everyone else sees generic.

Just like PS4 has now.

It really is amazing how much these two switched places this gen.

Is there a user voice on this anywhere

I still have my Gum from jet set radio avatar which is xbox 360 sized, I will never change it because I don't feel like it :p

For those who do not know, 360 profile images are smaller then the xbox one defaults so they have a huge empty space around them, it's annoying but I don't want to change it.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

I'm with you.I miss the option to buy gamerpics from the marketplace or use the live vision to take personal pictures into the profile.

Alx

I don't think it's a big deal, but I appreciate the current consistency of icons in friends list. Well not entirely consistent since there are also avatar gamerpics mixed with the new ones in vector graphics, but everything considered it's still rather homogeneous.
I don't mind diversity like with user pics like on Neogaf, but I'd rather not see pictures of people and their kids on my console. Nor of the latest pop star. It's already annoying when I see pictures of people I don't really know when using gmail.

Yeah I want personal pictures back. Idk wtf they are thinking forcing us to be avatars and all the stuff they made up. Yeah they look cool but guess how many people got the same damn picture.

danowat

Banned

Mature content, MS wants to keep it's "garden" as universally appropriate as possible.

you can
I just use my avatar from the 360

Avatars might not be as prominently featured on the Xbox One as they were on the 360's dashboard, but they're still around, and you can use yours to strike a pose and use as your Gamerpic if you don't fancy any of the pre-made ones on the console. Select your profile from the left-hand side of the Home screen, and choose Profile > Set Gamerpic > Make One With Your Avatar. Select a pose, move the avatar around the screen, and zoom in or out using the left and right thumbsticks. You can then change the background to make sure your profile pic is entirely unique
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/ga...etting-the-most-out-of-your-console-1249714/2

Maybe they are not vector graphics and would look utter shit if you blew them up to 1080x1080?

They might exist in vector form somewhere although I doubt it.

Here's a nice demonstration of blowing up the old gamerpics to the Xbox One size.

Old:
2000c

New:
2000cpfycz.png

I think this is pretty easy to explain:

Swastikas, ISIS symbols, dickpics, boods etc. can't be ruled out if you let ppl upload images. A manual approval process would be expensive.
So there you go.

I like mine.
nxeT1mb.png

Alx

Hahaha this one is awesome. Has been my choice since I bought the console.

The gamerpics are nice IMO, but they should add more.

Yep, more would be nice. I also liked how you could unlock game-specific items for your Avatar, so that on 360 I would update my Avatar to mirror what I'm currently playing. That would be a nice solution for customized gamerpic.

glaurung

Their gamer pictures are all very well done, but none of them immediately speak to me. It's like a parade of hipster bullshit with a couple mecha and space marine images thrown into the mix.

The first time I browsed through that wall of images, I felt like someone had tried really hard to be really hip. And had failed horribly. It also felt like a rag-tag selection of images by a committee.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
They've added more since it's release. But it would be nice for some to actually be related to the games we play rather than just fancy artwork and characters.

Maybe add a few in for each game you have and have another few unlock after requiring a certain achievement.

Dio

Banned
Maybe they are not vector graphics and would look utter shit if you blew them up to 1920x1080?

This is why I was pleasantly surprised when I got a PS4 and my PS3 avatar still looked good.

vnuK1lW.jpg

I'm glad they made the PS3 ones pretty high resolution back in the day. I'm not sure if this is the highest it goes, but I'm pretty sure the one on my PS4 is larger than this and still looks good.

GoxRx

Considering that the achievements now have very nice images, MS should allow us to crop those images and use them as gamerpics.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Because they'd like to sell you Gamerpics instead.

Dickpics.

Pretty much.
no

but i agree that more options is always nice

Thats my GamerPic.
I do wish we had more options, taking our own pics or .png uploads through the media player would be nice, but im sure the hassle of moderating user is just too much of a chore.....immaturity is the reason we cant have nice things.

Into

That pimp shark is cooler than any of the default PS4 avatars

As far as i know, only people on your PSN friendslist that you have shared real name can see your facebook custom pic. Even friends just see whatever you picked

Azzawon

The selection of gamerpics on XB1 are very good IMO, but I agree, we should have something similar to 360 in terms of game-themed pics or the like.

I swear we were actually told we could use our own pictures as gamerpics in the lead up to the XB1 launch and could take our own 1080p pictures with Kinect to use as gamerpics too. Probably in the form of a 'coming soon' feature.

jesu

I've been using the hare since I got my X1.
Feels weird when I see someone else with it though.
Might change to my funky Avatar.

54394f2714e45b0e6721a37cc7ab19e7.png

All the people posting those 'because give me money' things,

You know all these gamerpics are free right? There's no customisation stuff on the Xbox One that has a paywall

Cynn

I think a lot of the Xbox One Gamerpics are fantastic! I do like using my own .pngs on PS4 better though.

Top Bottom