• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 compared to Xbox.. anyone else really impressed/surprised?

PhatSaqs

Banned
Rushing to launch first is definitely looking like it was the right move. It seems it had a domino effect on Sony which also rushed and is now in a MUCH (much) worse position than they were when the PS2 launched.

Kabouter

Not that impressed.
For me, there have been a grand total of four exclusives that I enjoyed (PGR3, Saints Row, Gears of War and Viva Pinata).
Which isn't so strange since exclusives are extremely rare on Xbox 360.

Most used function of the 360 for me this year has been the media center extender functionality.

I'm surprised at how well Xbox Live was integrated into the experience and how much I crave that connection with my friends (and achievements :)). Aside from Halo 2, I rarely played by Xbox online but I'm playing online games all of the time on the 360, thanks to both the interface and the great integration of co-op and multi into the newer titles. When I play any other platform (hello, Wii!) I just feel so disconnected and cut off from everyone.

Dr_Cogent said:
I thought you didn't own a 360 Ignatz. You do?

Nope. I have been wait-and-see on it personally. But I respect what it has accomplished quite a bit. I nearly bit twice-- once when Sony announced the PS3 price, and once a couple of months ago after the HD-DVD add-on was announces. (Movie playback is actually a significant part of my decision either way.)

If Sony hadn't basically delivered on every "maybe" on their list from 6 months ago, I probably would have. But they came through with Linux, good games (although delayed), and decent online service with downloadable XBLA-ish games.

The big stoppers for 360 for me-- software library (still partial to a lot of PS3 exclusives or likely exclusives and want better JPN support)-- and the noice factor and lack of studio support put me off the HD-DVD option. I would get it if I had a 360, but it's not appealing enough to get the system with that as a major draw.

For all that, 360 is a very nice package. Just not enough to sway me, though it was close, and there's always the future.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
You know until folks kept mentioning how loud their 360's were I never noticed how loud mine was. It's only recently I've noticed and that's only when there's some pause in the gaming otherwise my TV is usually up too loud to notice or care!

jarrod

Banned
I repeat, it needs more SEGA. Good SEGA, not Sonic Team SEGA or outsourced westren sholveware SEGA.

Other than that though, good so far and the future looks bright. :)

Alex

There are a *lot* of really solid 360 games. I've only had the damn thing for a couple weeks and I've already got like...7 games, and I am still wanting to buy a couple more (I don't even have Oblivion, but I want it!).

Not too expensive either, thankfully I got mine as a lot of price drops were coming in. It's a good system, next gen flair, crazy polished live support, media support and achivements for all games makes it really easy to cave in and buy a 360 game.

Will be better next year, too. Still though; needs Phantom Dust 2.

DarienA said:
You know until folks kept mentioning how loud their 360's were I never noticed how loud mine was. It's only recently I've noticed and that's only when there's some pause in the gaming otherwise my TV is usually up too loud to notice or care!

It's a personal peeve. I had been using my PS2 (old model) as a DVD player and it's too loud, too. I have my stereo equipment behind my head since I have a projector setup, and it's really distracting. The PS3's quiet was really good news to me. I doubt this is an issue for many people, but as I said, the media functions are important to me. I don't care during games, but I want a quiet player for movies.

Mojovonio

Banned
For me, i loved the dashboard and live and the basic fins and outs of the system. The games in the first year sucked till March, and it all went amazing after that.

Nonetheless, my 360 broke 2x which ruined the experience for me.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
It's about the same as the first Xbox as far as games go. I think the difference now is that 360 was released first. When Xbox was released, they had a lot of good games (Halo, Otagi, JSRF, Panzer Dragoon, etc.) in the first year, but it paled in comparison to what was on PS3; tried and true franchises (Gran Turismo, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy and Grand Theft Auto). I also think Xbox Live is great. Although I only have silver, it still makes the console feel more interactive and fresh than any system I've played. I can't see ever having a console not hooked up to the internet now. In addition to live and the cheaper price point, I think Microsofts biggest cuope would be to get the major Playstation exclusives ported over to it. If the rumors of MGS4, DMC4 and such are true, I really would have little to no interest at all in the other systems. Only time will tell, but next year is going to be crazy.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Ignatz Mouse said:
It's a personal peeve. I had been using my PS2 (old model) as a DVD player and it's too loud, too. I have my stereo equipment behind my head since I have a projector setup, and it's really distracting. The PS3's quiet was really good news to me. I doubt this is an issue for many people, but as I said, the media functions are important to me. I don't care during games, but I want a quiet player for movies.
Agreed about the loud issue. Hopefully they'll address that along with the overheating issue when they move the cpu to 65nm. After seeing the success of HDDVD, I'm starting to regret that Microsoft didn't go with it as it's disc format. Kind of a minor issue, but it would help with the loud noise issue, load times and storage capacity.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
I've played/owned more 360 games this past year than I would have owned had I an Xbox during its lifetime.

JB1981

dark10x said:
It still feels like XBOX to me. Not necessarily a bad thing, but there is a distinct difference between the XBOX consoles and what the other two companies are doing with their platforms. I've had a good time with the machine, though, and Gears of War was truly AAA, but it hasn't been overwhelming by any stretch.

2007 looks fantastic, though.

I think you should qualify this statement by acknowledging that you basically have no interest in online gaming, 'cause it's clearly what the system's all about. It also has no peer in the console space in this particular area.

NinSoX

Banned
I'm loving it. Too many great games to list (Viva Pinata is my current favorite) and I don't think I'll be interested in a PS3 until late next year/early 2008. Halo 3, Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey, Lost Planet and obviously more titles that are going to be announced next year.

duk

Banned
NinSoX said:
I'm loving it. Too many great games to list (Viva Pinata is my current favorite) and I don't think I'll be interested in a PS3 until late next year/early 2008. Halo 3, Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey, Lost Planet and obviously more titles that are going to be announced next year.

same here, the live interface is a real gem

i`m not impressed at all on the 3rd party front, especially the almost abscent 3rd party JP titles

Jet Set Radio Future + Panzer Dragoon Orta sold me the Xbox1.

despite having some really great games, its the dashboard interface which always makes the 360 a joy to play! so slick..every console needs this..

the pad is also damned good, i think i can easily leave it for a year before i think about purchasing another console for this gen.

Mojovonio

Banned
gutter_trash said:
i`m not impressed at all on the 3rd party front, especially the almost abscent 3rd party JP titles

Jet Set Radio Future + Panzer Dragoon Orta sold me the Xbox1.

So Dead Rising and Lost Planet aren't enough?

Mojovonio said:
So Dead Rising and Lost Planet aren't enough?

kudos to Capcom to give the effort they are doing the right thing, but no that`s not enough.

75% of my gaming library is composed of JP 3rd party games

Mojovonio

Banned
gutter_trash said:
kudos to Capcom to give the effort they are doing the right thing, but no that`s not enough.

The 360 really might not be the console for you then.

MegaTen

Banned
gutter_trash said:

As is mine. I'm pretty open to what kinds of genres I'll play and enjoy. Are there any specific types of games you'd like to see more of or maybe some you'd like to see less of?

I don't know if you share the same view as others that have mentioned there are maybe too many shooters. I agree, as much as I like those types of games.. I'd like to see third party developers try a little harder to come up with some other ideas and create some titles that really stand apart from the rest. Jet Set Radio Future and Panzer Dragoon Orta were also among the games that really got me to pick up an Xbox.

Wollan

Tieno said:
I sold all my games, except for Oblivion, Gears of War and Viva Pinata. Nothing else worth keeping for me. Thank god for Oblivion or I wouldn't have been all that happy for most of 2006 (until GOW).

Sounds like my story.

J-Rzez

Well... I'm definetly happier with the 360 than I was with the original xbox... But it still needs a bit of work... I need to see some more exclusives that appeal to me on it first... but all in all, an improvement to say the least... Though I got slim pickin's as far as games go now: Dead Rising, Chromehounds, and Gears... which Chromehounds and Gears may end up going soon... Lost Planet, Blue Dragon, and Halo 3 are the next games I look forward to on it... the rest, i'm not really excited for... Forza 2 maybe, but I'm not too sure about it...

But, LIVE i'm completely and utterly disappointed with... besides not really liking the way the marketplace is set up, the microrapements, I'm terribly disappointed with the LAG that's more and more present... I shouldn't really see lag that often in a 6v6, hell, 4v4 games for example... I don't see it in a 40-player game that's free to play online, why do I see it here? If the service was free, i'd understand it... but even though it's a couple bucks a month, the simple fact that I'm paying for something on one side and getting lag, while not paying for anything and not getting lag on the other really pisses me off... I rarely had lag before on the xbox playing a packed room of Halo 2 team-deathmatch... it's frustrating...

MegaTen said:
As is mine. I'm pretty open to what kinds of genres I'll play and enjoy. Are there any specific types of games you'd like to see more of or maybe some you'd like to see less of?

I don't know if you share the same view as others that have mentioned there are maybe too many shooters. I agree, as much as I like those types of games.. I'd like to see third party developers try a little harder to come up with some other ideas and create some titles that really stand apart from the rest. Jet Set Radio Future and Panzer Dragoon Orta were also among the games that really got me to pick up an Xbox.

I wanna see more variety across the board from all genres. Select shooters may be fun, but too many of them is not. We are in an age where action games and platformers are taking a back seat to shooters.. what`s up with that?

I bought a PS3 in anticipation to Virtua Fighter 5, MGS4, Devil May Cry 4, Heavenly Sword, Tekken 6, Soul Calibur 4 and the wealth of 3rd party JP games comming it's way.
And hopefully, arcade downloadables such as the mentionned Tekken 5 Dark Resurection arcade port will encourage more arcade downloads in the near future.

I dont own either of the xbox systems, but I have played both. The games are what I expected, just the same types of games we've always been playing with better graphics (note: I dont think this is a bad thing!) but the actual consoles themselves, when I first saw the 360, it was like a complete 180 from the design of the original xbox. the first xbox was all "Look at me, I'm big and powerful!" while the 360 is all "yeah, I'm powerful and all that..no need to get all in your face about it"

or something.

Troidal

I loved the Xbox, even love the 360 more.

The Live integration to all games is just awesome. Not everything is perfect (i.e. slow Arcade releases) but this is the best thing out there right now for online gaming (if you ignore PC, which I have been for years.)

I own 9 games since my purchase in August and 2-3 more coming at the end of the year. I actively play 8 of the 9 games, couldn't be any happier with it.

Didn't care much for the Xbox1, had it for a few months and got rid of it.
I have not been too impressed with the Xbox 2 so far either, got one for Gears of War and the game was no more than a rental. I am enjoying RR6 at least. I will probably trade it in for a PS3 when the time comes.

Tarazet

Yes, I have been extremely impressed. I stayed away from it for a while because I thought it would be like the original Xbox, without the superb lineup of Sega exclusives (due to the lack of Japanese support). It sounds silly, but it took Blue Dragon - the product of a bunch of geniuses taking the biggest chance of their lives - to change my mind. Once my mind was changed, I found a lot to like about it.

I never cared much for my Xbox. Only two games were able to really keep my interest: Metal Slug 3 and Rallisport Challenge 2.

With my Xbox 360, it has so much dust that I think if I turn it on, I will get the red ring of death. For the 4-5 months I played with it, I spent a lot more time on it than I did with the Xbox. So I guess I will give the nod to the 360. Ridge Racer 6 is still my favorite game on the system.

Am I impressed? Not really. I will probably get Gears of War and Blue Dragon over the holidays. Earth Defence Force 3 if its released now or will be released soon. That might get me to have a second honeymoon with the 360.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
sonarrat said:
Yes, I have been extremely impressed. I stayed away from it for a while because I thought it would be like the original Xbox, without the superb lineup of Sega exclusives (due to the lack of Japanese support). It sounds silly, but it took Blue Dragon - the product of a bunch of geniuses taking the biggest chance of their lives - to change my mind. Once my mind was changed, I found a lot to like about it.

I'm such a fan of the classic 16 bit Square RPGs that just hearing Sakaguchi + Uematsu + Toriyama were working on a game together was enough to sell me on a 360.

VALIS said:
High quality shooters, of course: Gears, CoD2/3
Great driving games: PGR3, Ridge 6
RPG: Oblivion
Sandbox/GTA style games: mediocrity
Survival Horror: mediocrity
RTS on a console!!: mediocrity
Sim/Management: Viva Pinata
Platform: mediocrity
Sports novelty: mediocrity... I suppose doax2 is ok
Fighting: DOA4
Stealth: mediocrity
Arcade: Only if you got broadband...

fixed.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Vangellis said:
I didnt care too much for the original xbox. This time around I think they got most of it right. Ive been rather impressed with live and its seemless intergration. The 360 interface is rather nice, clunky at times but i like it overall. Love the wireless gamepad, probably one of the nicest feeling pads in my hands. So i think im most impressed how well the os is shadowed and at anytime I can access friends, music etc. Oh and turning on and turning off the system from the gamepad is the best thing ever. I know all the systems do this know, but I first expereinced thi with my 360 and cant live without it.

Yeah exactly my thoughts.

The 360 has an amazing software lineup right now and 2007 is only the beginning of what's to come. Just goes to show many good developer's souls you can buy...err... harness ...when you have the money....

But the software lineup is amazing, in all seriousness.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Didn't like my Xbox much. It was a gift, technically (that I payed for -_-), but there was probably less than a dozen real titles for it that I played. It WAS the home of what little online gaming I did, though.

36o's made huuuge strides. Aside from Marketplace/XBLA issues (pricing, getting content out there), which can only be partially blamed on MS, I couldn't be happier. It's simply a great, viable platform for gaming which has a lot to offer.

Where it's place is in the future is to be seen. Luckily I don't play TOO many multiplatform titles (although that will seemingly change, to a degree), but alas.

Top Bottom