• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 Dashboard and XMB through the years

Thought it would be interesting just to see how much of the OS for both platforms has changed throughout the years.

Xbox 360

Launch:
1888782-xbox_360_blade_interface.jpg

2008:
360nxe1.jpg

2010:
xboxlive-fall-2010-dsc0459-rm-eng.jpg

2011:

Current:

Sony

Launch:
10280_20090727184148!XMB_of_PS3.jpg

Current:
XMB_of_PS3.jpg

King326

The only thing I would take from 360 is cross game chat. Other than that I like the simplistic look and feel of PS3.

Jarek23

Banned
2008 Was definitely the best, especially for backgrounds. But I still prefer the XMB, so clean, too bad it's so damn slow.

The best part about all the Xbox dashboard updates was how it effectively rendered dashboard themes from the previous generation worthless.

Yup, I was a fan of the Blades UI, too.

Glad Sony kept things simple and consistent. Remember when everyone was worried about the XMB being replaced by Home?

The blade were simple and to the point. Microsoft should never have got rid of them.

This being said, the XMB still remains the best interface.

PS3 screenshots are a bit misleading, the original XMB didn't have a section/icon for playstation network, but otherwise, yeah the xmb hasn't changed much visually for better or worse.

Man, the swooshing sound when you moved between the blades was awesome. I'm pretty sure they have that when you switch between the mini-blades on the guide, but it's nowhere near as awesome as it was back then.

I also loved the small animation for how the blades bent as they moved from the left to the right side of the screen.

sTeLioSco

Banned
simplicity on a console is better.

i mean ps3 is the most used netflix device,not having fancy menus didn't stopped users from accessing it

jwk94

The 2011 interface is probably the best of the two imo. It's simple, sleek, and meshes the XMB in there a little.

Simpler is best. The XMB, followed by the new Xbox Experience, are the nicest ones (they're basically the exact same except one flows vertically and the other flows horizontally).

I really hate what the 360 dashboard looks like now. Such a cluttered, ad-filled mess!

watership

I remember being so amazed at the blade design back in 2005. I don't see why they changed it.

You'd be screwed looking for content on the blades today. 3 months out the marketplace had outgrown it and it was getting horrible to find anything.

RustyO

2008 and/or 2010 Xbox was good for me / the one I liked. After that they are just using it as an advertising platform / a total mess.

Love the minimal simplicity of the PS3

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I think both companies wanted you to learn their system and then use it across multiple platforms. The 360 ones from 2008 and up remind me what they were doing with the Zune. And Sony was pretty clear about teaching people to love the XMB on the PS3 and have them use it on their tv as well.

Xbox One will probably just be Windows 8, right?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm so sad Sony is dropping XMB. Best console/handheld UI ever. Fast. Efficient. Clean. Gorgeous. Every option imaginable quickly accessible and in a logical place.

Top Bottom