• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 Dashboard and XMB through the years

Tenumi

Banned
I was honestly never a big fan of the blades. They look clunky, and I would hate to go back to them. 2008/2010 360 Dash was probably the best functionality-wise.

harSon

Banned
I don't get why people pay for Live even though there are ads.

Honestly, I like the presence of ads within the dashboard from an aesthetic standpoint. I think it'd look disgustingly plain without them embedded. Almost like Times Square without the the barrage of ads. The only type of ads that I dislike are those that interrupt the experience. Like commercials or popup ads. Any other type I'm completely indifferent towards due to the fact that they sort of just blend in to the point where I hardly notice them.

Blades only worked well during launch, once Microsoft started adding new features and the marketplace started exploding in amount of content, that design just didn't hold up. Got cluttered as hell and they had to squeeze everything under submenus and whatnot, just a complete mess. Their new UI is far better.

Totally agree. It would be amusing to see them switch the old blades back on with all the content and features we have now to see how quickly the nostalgia for that UI would disappear. It was already sluggish, slow to navigate and cluttered years ago!

I would like more customization out of the dashboard myself. The thing I liked about what they showed last week was the my pins section. It looked like they are giving a full screen to pin apps/games now.

YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO BOOT TO THAT. ALL PROBLEMS SOLVED.

Honestly, I like the presence of ads within the dashboard from an aesthetic standpoint. I think it'd look disgustingly plain without them embedded. Almost like Times Square without the the barrage of ads. The only type of ads that I dislike are those that interrupt the experience. Like commercials or popup ads. Any other type I'm completely indifferent towards due to the fact that they sort of just blend in to the point where I hardly notice them.

That makes no sense. There should be quick access tabs where the ads should be. So you can go straight to your customized destinations quickly.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Loved 2010 xbox.

Never liked Blades/current xbox/XMB

I will get hate for this but I like XBLA ONLY ads. It's a big reason why I ever knew those games existed. Now ads for movies/taco bell/COD can fuck off, but ad placement for small downloadable stuff? Fuck yeah.

Outside of playing a game stuff is never where I expect it to be in the XMB it drives me fucking bonkers.

Laranja

As much as I love the XMB and think it's one of the most usable UI ever to grace a console, a part of me still wishes Sony had revamped the PS3 OS, even if just to make it feel a bit fresher and new.

K' Dash

This is actually the original dashboard, note that Marketplace didn't even have its own blade:

xbox_360_ui_240505.jpg

The original didn't display the name of the game IIRC.

YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO BOOT TO THAT. ALL PROBLEMS SOLVED.
MS likes to find out what you want and add at least one small layer of annoyance to it.

Its been the basis of all of their latest dashes. They just have to poke you in the eye somehow.

What is the point of a pinned tab/page without being able to boot to it?

Yoda

It boggles my mind that people prefer the interface which was "recreated" purely to squeeze in more ads.

I honestly don't take notice to the Ads on Xbox LIVE because I have learned to just ignore them from over the years but I actually like the current Xbox 360 dashboard. I can understand while some would not like it in terms of the Ads but just the plain design of it I feel is both mainstream yet useful.

I don't mind the XMB either. I find it is a little bit less appealing than the Xbox 360 but not by too much.

That makes no sense. There should be quick access tabs where the ads should be. So you can go straight to your customized destinations quickly.

The Quick access tabs are on the left of the main dashboard so it's easily accessible, the ad is located on the lower right and you have to go your wait out to get the cursor there, and then mostly you get either sound or can click it to see the commercial.

The other stuff is DLC offers/Sign to Gold deals, Download this free Kinect game etc... Which is not different than when I launch my PS3 and I see all this games that I cannot play because I don't have PS+.

Shambles

Xmb at launch was the best by far. They have since cluttered it up with adds ads and the store. Plus there were some awesome themes. I miss the m0dus threads

Dunlop

I'm a fan of both the dashboards. I don't even really mind the ads on the 360 dashboard, I guess I'm easy to please.

Most of the world could no give a rats ass about the ads, it is just exaggerated here.

Think I prefer 2010
Not a huge fan of the XMB but as evidenced by the slow as hell store and awkward synches when trophies were introduced. Sony is not a software company and apparently XMB has 256k or Ram so it is good they did not change it...but how hard would it have been to put in fraking folders!?!?!?!?!?!

(joke)

VanWinkle

The thing is, for the next gen console, the Xbox One UI won't even feel like a big step up from the 360 since it was iterated so much. Everything will be practically the same. Going from PS3 to PS4 will be a huge difference. That's kind of the good thing about not changing the system UI throughout that system's life cycle; it makes a new gen feel more like a new gen.

harSon

Banned
The thing is, for the next gen console, the Xbox One UI won't even feel like a big step up from the 360 since it was iterated so much. Everything will be practically the same. Going from PS3 to PS4 will be a huge difference. That's kind of the good thing about not changing the system UI throughout that system's life cycle; it makes a new gen feel more like a new gen.

I made a thread about this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=564497&highlight=

Didn't catch on though, but I completely agree.

samwizered

PS3's dash is just horrible. Lifeless and isolated.

360's is miles ahead. You feel more connected and stuff like deals of the week or new game trailers, even stuff like tonight's NBA playoff games are immediately presented, not hidden and out of the way. It's really not even remotely close.

Oh god, what?

Personally, I don't want to see things like weekly deals, trailers, sporting events, and other shite I don't care about filling up my dashboard. I despise the new Xbox UI. Ads, ads, ads, ads, that's all I see. I've resorted to keeping my 360's ethernet cable unplugged for that very reason. They had it right with the blades - if only I could revert back.

The XMB, on the other hand, is perfect. It's simple, elegant, fast, to the point, and best of all, not plastered with fucking ads. The only thing I don't like is the new UI for the Store, it's horrible. I'm really sad that Sony is ditching the XMB. From what I've seen of the PS4's interface, it looks like a total downgrade.

Can't believe they never changed the crappy XMB.

Don't fix what ain't broke, I say.

Soulstar

The main thing I don't like in the new 360 dashboard is the integration of the Marketplace with the rest of the Dash. I like to have a clear line between the stuff on my Xbox and anything related to the Marketplace.

So the good thing about the Playstation UI is that was so horrible that it will make the PS4 look like a Next Gen step in comparison? Kind of like the controller I guess, and hopefully the console itself.

Oh god, what?

Personally, I don't want to see things like weekly deals, trailers, sporting events, and other shite I don't care about filling up my dashboard. I despise the new Xbox UI. Ads, ads, ads, ads, that's all I see. I've resorted to keeping my 360's ethernet cable unplugged for that very reason. They had it right with the blades - if only I could revert back.

The XMB, on the other hand, is perfect. It's simple, elegant, fast, to the point, and best of all, not plastered with fucking ads. The only thing I don't like is the new UI for the Store, it's horrible. I'm really sad that Sony is ditching the XMB. From what I've seen of the PS4's interface, it looks like a total downgrade.

Don't fix what ain't broke, I say.
The XMB is more like a computer desktop. Its a slim-lined mechanism to navigate what is yours.

The Xbox dashboard is more like walking into a storefront. Its there to show you other things to buy, but hey, there is a little spot for you and your stuff over in the corner there.

Splint

this makes the xmb look like shit but who still uses no theme/wallpaper?

lbp_theme-e1306616080282.jpg

with running sackboy
mqdefault.jpg

for example. with custom sounds, etc. people make their own too. This is why its better

Xmb at launch was the best by far. They have since cluttered it up with adds ads and the store. Plus there were some awesome themes. I miss the m0dus threads
Yeah there are some great XMB themes, I haven't used the default one for years. Some of the dynamic ones are really good (e.g. Far Cry 3, Heavy Rain, etc.), but there are a heap of good static ones (including the m0dus ones, as you mentioned). I tend to use ps3-themes.com for free ones (you can download them directly to the PS3 using the PS3 web browser) but there are other sites out there as well.

I will really miss the XMB as an interface concept if they ditch it for the PS4, it suits a controller very well. Some of the PS3 implementation of it was dodgy, but the concept was excellent.

PS3's dash is just horrible. Lifeless and isolated.

360's is miles ahead. You feel more connected and stuff like deals of the week or new game trailers, even stuff like tonight's NBA playoff games are immediately presented, not hidden and out of the way. It's really not even remotely close.

Lifeless ? when you can customise it how you want with theme and create your own themes easily ?

Ever seen a animated theme on PS3 ?? this thing is anything but lifeless.

Laranja

Yeah there are some great XMB themes, I haven't used the default one for years. Some of the dynamic ones are really good (e.g. Far Cry 3, Heavy Rain, etc.), but there are a heap of good static ones (including the m0dus ones, as you mentioned). I tend to use ps3-themes.com for free ones (you can download them directly to the PS3 using the PS3 web browser) but there are other sites out there as well.

I will really miss the XMB as an interface concept if they ditch it for the PS4, it suits a controller very well. Some of the PS3 implementation of it was dodgy, but the concept was excellent.

I've never used themes on my PS3. I always feel like they make the OS a bit choppy, but it may just be my imagination. I love the way the default theme looks, though, so I don't really care either way.

neoism

PS3 is the king... its an AWESOME design... lets one have any background you want...
The 2008 360 was about the best and it got shittier and shittier lol at all who bought backgrounds for them to be damn near covered SMFH... I really hope PS4s wasn't final... nothing beats the PS3's XrossMediaBar I even use a custom one that gets rid of the icons and all I have is this...
http://i.minus.com/ibgog8vEDYGvfn.jpg evi <3 :p big pic

Kvik

The only two gripes I have with XMB is just that you can't change the font size and type, making it sometimes difficult to see when standing too far away from my TV.

B.O.O.M

XMB is awesome! I hope the system OS for PS4 is a natural progression of the idea and not something too different. Add a nice dynamic theme and the xmb turns into a real nice looking OS too. Love my dynmaic Samurai Clash theme

2008 xbox is the best imo

gfunkera

Banned
XMB da best.

Eye candy does not always equal functionality. I've always liked the XMB and I would say I preferred the second version of Xbox dashboard.

VanWinkle

So the good thing about the Playstation UI is that was so horrible that it will make the PS4 look like a Next Gen step in comparison? Kind of like the controller I guess, and hopefully the console itself.

No, I feel like you're trying to gather something from what I said that you know had not been implied. What I'm saying is that, a person going from 360 to Xbox One will feel far less like they are in a next gen experience because they already used nearly the exact same interface. That's not to say that it's not a good interface, or the XMB needs more improvement than the 360 UI, but I feel like its a good thing to have a dramatically updated UI going from one generation to the next. It needs a new experience.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Blades for life. When they changed it is when 360/MS started going to shit.

XMB is good but there are too many options and scrolling left/right/up/down. It sometimes takes me a while to find what I am looking for because there are so many options. Blades function similarly but you could see everything on the page instead of scrolling up and down if that makes sense. Made finding stuff easy/quick.

Top Bottom