• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 Dashboard and XMB through the years

2011:

Current:

Love how they just shrunk the tiles down to squeeze in more ads.

Alchemy

Serious question, had you used an Xbox 360 for a nice amount of time?

I've used my 360 a lot, and I greatly prefer the XMB interface. Current 360 UI is atrocious. The blades were good, because they operate in a similar fashion to the way XMB does with grouping.

Portman

I loved the blades and it always amazes me that they changed them since they were super fast. Sure they wanted to make a media focus and they would have gotten cluttered but I kinda wish they had tried at least.

I find it hilarious that Microsoft has been through so many different designs over the years (and you always see people praising the original design) while Sony has had the XMB all these years. I wonder how many UI redesigns the Xbox One will go through or will they have their "unified" design in from the start this time?

Ha. Did anybody ever really use Windows Live Messenger on the 360?

I set it up, and it still signs in automatically. I get disconnected from Messenger often though, without losing my connection to XBL.

It was a decent idea. The problem is it uses the MSN Messenger friends list, and I have zero people on that list. What I really wanted instead was to have a messenger type program for Windows that would allow me to message people on XBL. You know how you can see people log on/off with Steam and send them messages? I want to do that with people on XBL from my PC. Yea, you can do that on xbox.com, but that site always seems slow to me.

The biggest problem I have with the dashboard (aside from the ads) is the fact that it's limited to 720P, while the XMB is 1080P.

When you're using a monitor, that shit becomes apparent immediately.

Sean

Banned
Blades only worked well during launch, once Microsoft started adding new features and the marketplace started exploding in amount of content, that design just didn't hold up. Got cluttered as hell and they had to squeeze everything under submenus and whatnot, just a complete mess. Their new UI is far better.

Teknoman

Sony needs to downgrade their store though. People complain about Nintendo, but the new PSstore is really unorganized...or at least looks that way. The Vita has the best version.

darthbob

This is actually the original dashboard, note that Marketplace didn't even have its own blade:

xbox_360_ui_240505.jpg

That's not even the original dash, but it's pretty goddamn close. That looks to be dash version 2.0.4532.0 which is the update that added the whole "Play: <name of game>" at the bottom of the XBL blade.

see5harp

The biggest problem I have with the dashboard (aside from the ads) is the fact that it's limited to 720P, while the XMB is 1080P.

That's really my biggest issue along with the decrease in speed over the 8 years. Still there's nothing truly as bad as trying to do anything using XMB while in game. At some point, you just couldn't even check trophies in game because of how long it took to both load and then close the menu. The way you responded to every notification from message, invite, friend request or party invite has remained identical since 360 launch. I really think opening a special guide menu works much better than rendering the entire home screen.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD

I just realized I quoted the wrong person.

I meant to quote the person who asked why they changed from blades to the newer versions. That's when the huge boost in ads started happening, and when they bought that advertising company to have those interactive ads or something.

I remember being so amazed at the blade design back in 2005. I don't see why they changed it.

This one. :)

Dizzy

Banned
Blades, XMB and the wiis tv menu were all awesome.

360 2008 onwards sucked and seems to get worse overtime.

Keep it simple. Don't bombard people with rubbish.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Serious question, had you used an Xbox 360 for a nice amount of time?
I only own a 360. It's good, but the UI is laggy, doesn't load games (the most important thing) as fast, and it's glitching more and more recently for me.

Also NXE was the best dashboard, blades were pretty bad and so was the old guide. Metro is not as clear, and needs more white space.

Naked Lunch

PS3's dash is just horrible. Lifeless and isolated.

360's is miles ahead. You feel more connected and stuff like deals of the week or new game trailers, even stuff like tonight's NBA playoff games are immediately presented, not hidden and out of the way. It's really not even remotely close.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
XMB is better than anything MS put out. But the blades was the best thing on the 360 and was DESIGNED for the 360. If you didn't get a 360 before the NXE update, you didn't have the "lag" that everyone that bought the 360 before that point had because they had to add a few megs RAM onto the motherboard (IIRC) just to make sure the NXE update was "snappy" for those systems.

ismk

Microsoft really pushed the 360 with the new dashboards. PS3 was great in the beginning but they never did anything after that. Sony could of at least made XMB faster/smoother.

Lingitiz

XMB is much easier to use, but its terrible at telling me what new content there is. The store being disconnected from the dashboard like an app sucks. 360's dash is pretty cumbersome to use, and the ads could be okay if they actually promoted the right things instead of new movies or "Kinect Central".

entremet

NXE is my favorite. Blades sucked. Get over it, guys.

XMB is more functional than anything, but its aesthetically a bore, kinda like a home without artwork on the walls or plants.

Whenever I hear the press complain about the XMB being "too complicated or hard to navigate" I can't help but shake my head.

I'm talking about you Jeff Cannata.

Its pretty smooth and fast now nothing is wrong with the XMB.

I disagree, is both ugly, cumbersome and disorganized. Sure is fast but it's not very coherent, I don't like how is filled with menus and sub-menus. A Sour experience, but I've only had a PS3 since December so maybe I get used to it.

Iacobellis

That's not even the original dash, but it's pretty goddamn close. That looks to be dash version 2.0.4532.0 which is the update that added the whole "Play: <name of game>" at the bottom of the XBL blade.

It's neither, looks like to me a prototype version. Notice how it had the first Xbox LIVE logo?

I booted up an old 360 at work that had been traded in, it still had the blades! i was so lost trying to navigate it. I really do like how the UI has gotten quite a bit better (despite ads).

I actually loved the XMB at first, found it sleek. Now i've lots of games installed, and keep my vita back up installs on there its just a mess and takes ages to find scroll through everything. I don't care for the Vitas UI either. I really hope the PS4 gets it right.

EvB

XMB is better than anything MS put out. But the blades was the best thing on the 360 and was DESIGNED for the 360. If you didn't get a 360 before the NXE update, you didn't have the "lag" that everyone that bought the 360 before that point had because they had to add a few megs RAM onto the motherboard (IIRC) just to make sure the NXE update was "snappy" for those systems.

That wasn't what happen at all.

No extra ram was added.

Estocolmo

The current Xbox 360 dashboard could be the one, but there are just far too many ads for it to be the best dashboard.

Xbox Dash is for ads, XMB is for using your console

XMB wins.

The current Xbox dash is so slow now too. I have *one* program pinned, but it takes 20 seconds just to bring up my "pinned" tab. What the hell is the point?

-PXG-

It feels like ages have passed since we've had the blades.

2010 dash was the best. XMB is still better though. Simple, to the point, no bullshit.

But it has the old Xbox Live logo. I recall MS having the new (and current) logo by the time the 360 was released. Preview/ beta builds has the old logo though.

The XMB design is nice. But the segregation of the OS and the store and the load times going between them brings it down a lot. If they'd manged to combine everything in one interface while keeping it looking good it'd be nice. As it is I think dashboard wins for speed of use, although its ugly.

I hate the way the friends list works and find sending and reading messages much worse too. The mini blades you get pressing the Xbox button is the best interface.

Kuroyume

Banned
2008 XBOX dash was the best of the bunch. Not ugly like the blades but neither a chore to use like the Metro dash. Metro is a piece of shit.

Top Bottom