• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 HD-DVD addon info at E3

Mmmkay

PjotrStroganov said:
But explain to me then how Microsoft is going to promote this HD-DVD drive with a strait face to component only users. There is no point of buying the thing because the image quality of the signal isn't going to be any better that that of a DVD. Okay, maybe there is a little difference with at one side, the tv doing the upscaling and at the other side the Xbox 360/HD-DVD drive doing the upscaling of a normal DVD image. But in reality there is no point for these people to buy the drive.
These are the questions which need answering because that statement he gave by no means addresses this issue. You're reading way too much into what he said. There's also a DOT flag in AACS which can be used by content providers to only allow content to be passed over HDCP encrypted outputs, making component obsolete.

PjotrStroganov said:
I'm just saying that studios seem to get smart. After googling Image Constraint Token, I also got multiple links in which it is said that many studios won;t be implementing it in the first gen HD-DVD and Blu-ray movies. This could be a sign of future agreements on the implementation of the protocol.
Eh, most studios are using it as a sunrise clause so that they don't deter initial adoption not much more to it I think.

It would be a huge reversal on AACS's part to suddenly remove ICT from their spec when it gets finalised.

Mmmkay said:
These are the questions which need answering because that statement he gave by no means addresses this issue. You're reading way too much into what he said. There's also a DOT flag in AACS which can be used by content providers to only allow content to be passed over HDCP encrypted outputs, making component obsolete.

I think you're too pessimistic;)

Microsoft has made a point of their choice for using component for the Xbox 360. By providing a piece of hardware that can't be supported by a large amount of tv's they would be shooting themselves in the foot. A lot of people will make a point of it if Microsoft gives them an half-assed HD-DVD player.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
DarkMage619 said:
I thought I read somewhere that the first stand alone HD DVD player could output 1080i over component. Is Toshiba breaking the law or something by allowing this? I don't know if I'd bother with an HD DVD add on if I can't output the video via component seeing how I don't have an HDMI input.

The Dark One

The Broadcom BCM97438 decoder chip is what is needed for 1080p video out.....the Sammy, Pioneer Elite, Philips and Sony Stand alone Blu-ray players will all use it, while Panasonic will produce their own HD decoder chip...

Current Toshiba HD-DVD players(and the RCA clone) lack this chip which is why there is no 1080p video out capabilites....believe it or not, this is the only reason for no 1080p video out on HD-DVD players.....future HD-DVD players will have 1080p decoder chips, so no worries :)

Top Bottom