• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 makes big bucks in Australia

duk

Banned
http://palgn.com.au/article.php?tit...&id=6222&sid=557097160ee68cb9663b403c34f0bc0f

Console records its highest grossing week of hardware sales since launch.

Whilst we await Nintendo's press release which will outline just how successful the Wii launch was in Australia, Microsoft has beaten Nintendo to the punch by confirming that in the week ending December 10, the Xbox 360 sold $5.8 million worth of games, software and accessories. The consoles alone racked up $2.6 million.

David McLean, Regional Director Xbox Australia and New Zealand commented, “In terms of retail revenue, Xbox 360 has generated around $145 million in ANZ this year. We’re pleased to report that despite new competition in the market, sales are showing no signs of slowing down. I put this down to a combination of three things – demonstrable value for money backed by powerful hardware, plus a huge range of next-generation games and accessories."

"On top of this, Xbox 360 has set new records for console hardware and software sales in Australia since its launch in March this year. We sold 100,000 Xbox 360 consoles and 400,000 games in absolute record time compared to other home consoles, and the games attach rate on Xbox 360 has reached a staggering 4.8 – around twice the attach rate of any console in history at this stage of the life cycle."

The figure is actually quite astounding considering the Wii launched last Thursday, but this means that there were only a few days of sales for Nintendo's new console.

rod

Banned
both nintendo and sony are really pushing the wii and 360 here. i see commercials for both all the time, and everytime i go to the cinemas i see the gears of war commercial. good stuff for both companies.

GhaleonEB

rod said:
$650 is the OFFICIAL rrp, but most stores have it for $599 (aud)
Just going by the discounted price, that's ~4,300 systems in the week cited. Anyone know how that squares with average weekly sales down under? Microsoft keeps citing their launch and mid-term sales marks, but nothing more recent. Their citing sales dollars and not units is kind of telling, IMO.

Arsenal

Was this the Gears launch week as well?

Seems like a pretty fluffy PR piece, but it strikes me as pretty ballsy to put out something like this right before the Wii info comes out since you would think it would be kind of embarrassing if they were to be shown up badly.

stonedwal

There's a lot of bundling going on here at the moment too - you'd be hard pressed to walk out of a store with an Xbox 360 without at least one free game.

Wish they'd drop the price of the original Xbox (still $AU250), my lousy Thomson drive is dying, and I ain't waiting til MS releases BC patches for the other 50 games I own that don't work on 360.

pilonv1

Arsenal said:
Was this the Gears launch week as well?

Gears launched 3 weeks ago.

Seems like a pretty fluffy PR piece, but it strikes me as pretty ballsy to put out something like this right before the Wii info comes out since you would think it would be kind of embarrassing if they were to be shown up badly.

It is a PR piece. It's not really ballsy, it's just stating the facts - despite the launch of the Wii they still had their best week since launch. No need to spin anything here.

Mr Toast

How does "100,000 consoles and 400,000 games sold" equate to an "attach rate of 4.8"?

/pedantic

Are they counting XBLA games? I'd be mildly interested to see what the big sellers there are. Geometry Wars better be #1 :D

Newzboyz99

Losers! My wife has me on lock!
filmfiller.jpg

GhaleonEB

Mr Toast said:
How does "100,000 consoles and 400,000 games sold" equate to an "attach rate of 4.8"?

/pedantic

Are they counting XBLA games? I'd be mildly interested to see what the big sellers there are. Geometry Wars better be #1 :D
I think they are referencing two different points in time. They say it reached 100k in record time, which was a while ago actually, and then state the attach rate, which is probably current. The system hasn't crossed a major milestone recently that they can boast about, so they use the best of both at the same time. At least, that's my take.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
GhaleonEB said:
I think they are referencing two different points in time. They say it reached 100k in record time, which was a while ago actually, and then state the attach rate, which is probably current. The system hasn't crossed a major milestone recently that they can boast about, so they use the best of both at the same time. At least, that's my take.
Oh another great PR.
How on earth 4,000 console sales in a holiday week is impressive???
I saw a few months ago an australian sales figure which showed PS2 did 10k in a week in a non holiday period.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Tonche said:
I think so... Those were Aussie sales for last week and illustrate the 360's position compared to the other systems.

Tonche where you getting the figures from?

starship

GhaleonEB said:
did you post in the right thread?
Yes, he posted in the right thread, actually X360 sales in Australia right now is something like that.

GhaleonEB

Tonche said:
I think so... Those were Aussie sales for last week and illustrate the 360's position compared to the other systems.
gah, self-ownage. I had a blue dragon thread, discussing sales numbers, and this thread open and got them confused. I posted in the wrong thread. :lol

Tonche

VOOK said:
Tonche where you getting the figures from?

A friend of mine got them off his friend. Not the best sounding source but he's not been wrong before and has told me stuff that matches press release numbers (before they come out).

hirokazu

Tonche said:
A friend of mine got them off his friend. Not the best sounding source but he's not been wrong before and has told me stuff that matches press release numbers (before they come out).

those numbers do almost add up to the $2.6 million worth of hardware that Microsoft says got sold. almost coz multiplying it by $650 gives $2.4 million.

i'm amazed at how they managed to put a positive spin by not mentioning numbers since PS2 is still outselling it like crazy.

and :0 at DS.

starship

hirokazu said:
those numbers do almost add up to the $2.6 million worth of hardware that Microsoft says got sold. almost coz multiplying it by $650 gives $2.4 million.

i'm amazed at how they managed to put a positive spin by not mentioning numbers since PS2 is still outselling it like crazy.

Yeah this is like Sony PR about PSP sales in Spain and its leadership in terms of revenue, but actually its worse than that because in terms of actual sales the gap is a lot wider in this case.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
hirokazu said:

Considering the 360 is 3x the price of the ps2 and almost 4 times the DS its pretty freaking good actually.

Syb

What would the 360's install base be now? It reached 100,000 at the end of October, maybe it'll pass 150,000+ when Christmas is all said-and-done?

GhaleonEB

I think especially with the Wii PR out now, this can be seen as a pretty hollow preemptive PR by Microsoft. Nothing solid. The numbers at the end of the year for everyone will be telling.

starship

Ryudo said:
Considering the 360 is 3x the price of the ps2 and almost 4 times the DS its pretty freaking good actually.
So you want to say this the whole generation every time Wii outsells X360?
Damage control ftl.

starship

Syb said:
What would the 360's install base be now? It reached 100,000 at the end of October, maybe it'll pass 150,000+ when Christmas is all said-and-done?
With 4k weekly sales? I don't think so.

Syb

starship said:
With 4k weekly sales? I don't think so.
Its been 6-7 weeks since they reached 100k, so lets say they sell on average 3.5k per week. 7x3.5 is 24k, so that'd put the figure at say 124k as of now. Now considering how much of a cluster**** Christmas (and Boxing Day for that matter) will be for all platforms I think 20-30k could be obtainable.

starship

Syb said:
Its been 6-7 weeks since they reached 100k, so lets say they sell on average 3.5k per week. 7x3.5 is 24k, so that'd put the figure at say 124k as of now. Now considering how much of a cluster**** Christmas (and Boxing Day for that matter) will be for all platforms I think 20-30k could be obtainable.
But X360 sold 4k this pas week, right? Second week of December, one of the biggest weeks of the year. We saw reports that showed X360 sales was about 1.5k - 2k weekly in recent months.

Syb

starship said:
But X360 sold 4k this pas week, right? Second week of December, one of the biggest weeks of the year. We saw reports that showed X360 sales was about 1.5k - 2k weekly in recent months.
Oh, I wasnt aware sales were that low during October-November. Makes you wonder how the hell the PS3 will sell. :lol

GhaleonEB

starship said:
Where were those reports?

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
starship said:
So you want to say this the whole generation every time Wii outsells X360?
Damage control ftl.

I'm sorry, the facts dont lie. When the future comes i will be happy to take it as it comes.

FFS i didnt even mention the Wii :duh:

Striek

They sent out PR that is not particularly enlightening or good? Hey, just so you know we had a great launch, we sell alot of games but our hardware is flailing recently? What Microsoft.

Tonche said:
The 360 is having a crappy Christmas so far.

Sales last week (approx):
Looks exactly what it looked like ~DS Lite launch. Its still doing fantastic, but no Christmas upturn for the others?

Top Bottom