• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 Mega Thread: 2009 Edition!

FrankT

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/692337/Aaron_Greenberg_Interview_Xbox_360_in_2008_and_the_Future.html

G4: As far as games, the two big exclusives that we know about for 2009, are both Halo related. We get Halo Wars early and then we got Halo 3: ODST later. What are some of the other big exclusives we’re looking at for 2009?

Greenberg: We think the Grand Theft Auto 4 downloadable content will be huge for us in the Spring. We've also got Xbox Live Primetime which is something that we’re really excited to launch and that’s going to be a really big. It’s an entirely new category of gaming. Yes, it's a big year for Halo fans starting with Halo Wars and then Halo 3: ODST, but if you look back at January 2008 when we started the year you'll see that as a company, our philosophy is that we try to under promise and over deliver. We tend to save things until they’re much closer to being ready to be brought to market, and I think that that is a little different than traditionally how this industry has worked. Not just Sony, but how 3rd-party publishers work, how this industry historically has worked. People tend to like to talk about games for years. I mean we’ve been waiting for games you know for four, five, or six years to come to market. Take the NXE for example. We showed it at E3 and a few months later we launched. We announced a lot of games at E3 that came at holiday – Lips, You're in the Movies, Scene It. We have a lot planned for 2009, but we absolutely have not shared what our lineup looks like.

Interesting question for Greenberg at CES, which fits perfectly for this thread. It looks like they are definitely using the same strategy as they did last year.

Oh yea, may want to add in the sports franchises for the year.

Steeven

I don't own a 360, nor a PS3 or Wii (PC gamer), but if I compare the lists of all these consoles then I would buy a 360 for sure. Impressive line-up.

Kydd BlaZe

Jtyettis said:
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/692337/Aaron_Greenberg_Interview_Xbox_360_in_2008_and_the_Future.html

Interesting question for Greenberg at CES, which fits perfectly for this thread. It looks like they are definitely using the same strategy as they did last year.

Oh yea, may want to add in the sports franchises for the year.
Sounds nice. VERY nice indeed. I suspected as much, though. In fact, I think I prefer this strategy rather than announcing games prematurely.

I'm probably underestimating the hell out of this year for whatever reason. Even though we get Resident Evil 5 and Street Fighter 4 in a couple of months I've still felt overall that it would be something of a down year. Looking at the list and knowing that MS has some things in its pocket, I can see I've grossly underrated the year.

Star Ocean, Dragon Age, Alpha Protocol, Dragon Age, Aliens, Borderlands and the Witcher are just a few games this year that might have flown under the radar that I think will be terrific. I think there are going to be a lot of experiences that just take me by complete surprise that will be very good.

It's going to be a bloated year starting with the summer onward if most of these games actually see release.

goldenpp72

Alrighty I updated with new banners (thanks to robotnjik) and added sections for primetime and XNA, as well as the tomb raider underworld content. If anyone wants to give a name and maybe image of GREAT xna titles id be happy to list them but please, there is already some shitty looking games in the retail section and xna is filled with so much ass that i'd rather only put in the good ones to keep it clean.

goldenpp72

Kuroyume said:

XNA or XBLA?

GhaleonEB said:
Add to DLC:

Halo 3: Mythic Map Pack | 800 MS Points | Only on Xbox

Screens here: http://www.bungie.net/projects/halo3/asset_thumb_viewer.aspx?at=59&cc=21

Three maps, the big one - Sandbox - not yet revealed. To be bundled with the Halo Wars LE, and Marketplace release TBD after.

Right now my 2009 puchase plans are:

Fable II DLC
Sonic Genesis Collection
Fallout 3
Halo 3 Mythic Map Pack
Halo 3 ODST

With some XBLA games tossed in the mix.

Will add

goldenpp72

-ImaginaryInsider said:
Isn't it more likely to be Dragon Age: Origins this year, and Mass Effect 2 next year?

Not really, my thought process is like this for ME2.

ME1 came out in november of 07, gears came out in november 06, gears 2 hit in november 08, and ME2 coming in november 09 seems to line up pretty well since they have the engine work and all that done.

Bioware was to make a lot of content to bridge between ME1 and 2 but never did, so I assume their in full force to get a sequel out soon.

On the flip side, id be in no way shocked if it doesnt make it, but if it takes them 3 years for the first sequel how will they get the last one out in time for 360?

FrankT

Francias Castiglione said:
It won't stop the doom-mongers! :lol

I know. :lol

Dark FaZe said:
Mass Effect 2 probably won't see the light of day until 2010.

One of the rumors from a mid year issue of OXM last year was that not to expect the next RPG on the system from Bioware to be ME. Of course, that is going to be DA, but if they could get that out by August I think ME is possible for late Nov 09 release similar to the release date of the original (in Nov). I really didn't think 2009 was going to happen until we had that GDC slip. With 2 full years in the oven I believe it's possible. With the infrastructure they have in place and considering it is a totally different team from the DA guys it maybe more than possible for 09.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Francias Castiglione said:
It won't stop the doom-mongers! :lol
Dunno why, though. MS did the same thing last year, they announced Gears 2 at GDC (this year looks like we'll see something from Lionhead, at least), and then proceeded to show off (effectively re-announce) Banjo, as well as Trouble in Paradise, then they had Lips, Scene It and You're in the Movies at E3 time.

Still plenty of time, and I completely agree with him. There is zero point in showing games three, four, five years before they're even coming out like some other companies do.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I hope we can import our character but I doubt it. I got my guy to look almost exactly like me, well about 2 years ago when I was a bit more fit lol

Lakitu said:
Different teams.

Its not about that.

I just figured double-stacking two big releases in one year, especially since Dragon Age is supposedly coming out in Q4 of this year, would be like Bioware competing against itself.

For example, I don't see it being good for Bethesda to release both Fallout 4 and ElderScrolls 5 within 6 months of each other.

That being said, I really hope ME2 comes out this year. :D

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Wow... I had to come into this thread to see if I'd be proven wrong, but I wasn't. The 360 and Wii libraries really are night and day. And I'm not talking quality, but styles and genres.

We should rename the 360 "Western console" and the Wii "Japanese console", that sums it up :lol.

szaromir

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Now the question is which studio could possibly made a GOW2 caliber game for the Holiday season?

minx

I also have a feeling perfect dark 2 will be released this year. Also maybe killer instinct or a kart racer from rare. do we know anyhting that they are working on for this year?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
minx88 said:
I also have a feeling perfect dark 2 will be released this year. Also maybe killer instinct or a kart racer from rare. do we know anyhting that they are working on for this year?
No. If we don't see a new Perfect Dark/shooter/blow stuff up from Rare, or something from the PD team this year, then I don't think we will.

Banjo and Viva 2 didn't get announced till ~E3 last year (yes, I know Banjo was teased years before, but it wasn't properly announced till last year :p). So, there is definitely hope.

I'm sure we'll see one retail title from Rare this year, as well as a few offerings on Arcade as well (aside from Banjo 2 of course)

The concern might be that PD2 would release straight into Halo 3 ODST or CoD6's wake and get overlooked by the public, giving Rare another sales chump (and several more threads on gaf about 'why Rare should be dissolved' etc)

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
sionyboy said:
I'm sure we'll see one retail title from Rare this year, as well as a few offerings on Arcade as well (aside from Banjo 2 of course)

The concern might be that PD2 would release straight into Halo 3 ODST or CoD6's wake and get overlooked by the public, giving Rare another sales chump (and several more threads on gaf about 'why Rare should be dissolved' etc)
Perfect Dark wouldn't really compete with ODST, anyway. ODST is only going to be campaign.

It's part of the reason why I'm always banging on about a new Perfect Dark; I'm sick of standard shooters, and PD is a shooter with a distinct vibe which no other has managed to capture. It's just... different.

There is a definite market for another Perfect Dark, but that all depends on what route Rare were to take a sequel... :p

Dizzan

MINI Member
Non 360 owner here. Don't hate me.

09 lineup looks solid if not super strong. The biggest games seem to be 3rd party and non exclusive though. I don't think this is a problem though as the biggest games are often non exclusives ie COD & GH. Most will buy these on 360 (or 360 for them) based solely on price.

I don't think Halo ODST will sell Halo 3 like numbers.
I'm interested to see how GTA Lost and Damned sells. Hope they release sales figures for it.
Also curious to see if Halo Wars sells a bundle based on the brand alone.

Alan Wake. Has that been confirmed 09? I see it slipping into 2010. God I hope it's good. Will buy a 360 at some stage for it.

cjelly said:
Perfect Dark wouldn't really compete with ODST, anyway. ODST is only going to be campaign.

It's part of the reason why I'm always banging on about a new Perfect Dark; I'm sick of standard shooters, and PD is a shooter with a distinct vibe which no other has managed to capture. It's just... different.

There is a definite market for another Perfect Dark, but that all depends on what route Rare were to take a sequel... :p

Agreed. Look...CoD might sell more, but it's still a big shooter and if it's designed well it's going to sell well. I hope we see PD2 as well, but it has to be appealing to the hardcore fanbase who eat shooters up. No more of this cartoon shit.

Uncle

Dizzan said:
Alan Wake. Has that been confirmed 09? I see it slipping into 2010. God I hope it's good. Will buy a 360 at some stage for it.

AFAIK, they've never announced a release date for it. Unless you count "when it's ready".

Kydd BlaZe

Dark FaZe said:
Agreed. Look...CoD might sell more, but it's still a big shooter and if it's designed well it's going to sell well. I hope we see PD2 as well, but it has to be appealing to the hardcore fanbase who eat shooters up. No more of this cartoon shit.
Exactly. Rare woudn't receive any flak for it if the game is catered to the right audience...the hardcore. The game needs to capture the vibe that the original had...a dark, almost moody atomosphere, with some kick ass weaponry, and a plethora of modes. The game also had seemingly endless customization. I think a PD2, if done right, could definitely be Microsoft's big budget blockbuster holiday title. It wouldn't be a sales flop at all.

Hawk269

I think that Bungie has all of us fooled and they have something major brewing in them dev kits. Halo OSDT is a stop gap thing and not what they have really been working on.

For me, this year is going to be killer for both my PS3 and 360.

cjelly said:

Its going to have multiplayer support, forge as well as the Heroic and Mythic map packs bundled in with it as well.

Top Bottom