• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 Very Unstable

White Man

Slashdot is pretty much the weekly world news of tech rags. They can buy themselves some credibility by putting out my RMS/Woz fanfics.

monkeyrun

when this news spread, it'll be good news for people who wants to get their hands on a 360.

the artificial shortage will be over so fast that, microsoft would wish they've shipped more in the first place :lol

vas

monkeyrun said:
when this news spread, it'll be good news for people who wants to get their hands on a 360.

the artificial shortage will be over so fast that, microsoft would wish they've shipped more in the first place :lol
I think the shortage problem is directly related to overheating problems. Imo they are not getting good yields on either the GPU or CPU chips.

-james-

From teamxbox:

MICROSOFT SUCKS.... We wait in the cold weather for 9 hours just to get a faulty machine and then they tell us wait another 4-6 weeks...... I am having the same problem..(freezing up after 5 min) MS tech support dont know jack.. they are supposed to be sending me a box to send it back in, and they told me I would have a new one or fixed one in 6-10 days... i will let you all know what happens....

Ok I phoned tech support, I was on hold for about 40min. The first guy didn’t really know what he was talking about, he kept trying to tell me to do things I had already tried like unplug everything or “read the manual” so he connected me to someone else. This guy seemed like a gamer or he at least knew what he was talking about. He told me that they were having several problems with the launch consoles, the hdd problem, overheating, something to do with the HD to SDTV thing on the back, game disks being scratched , problems with the operating system and a few disk read errors.
He said the overheating problem will be the most common and that this is what I have. (If your console turns off or the screen freezes 90% of the time its an over heating issue. If you get one of the error screens its and OS problem.) he said for both of these problems they need to replace the console and that it would take 6-10 weeks!!! I asked why and he said that they are experiencing more problems then hey had hoped and that he is supposed to say 6-8 weeks, but last week he was telling people 4-6 and those people would be waiting until mid-january. He wouldn’t go further into that though. He did tell me that I could hold onto the system and use it as much as I can for 2 or 3 weeks, send it in then and I would still get it back 6-10 weeks from now.
Anyways the warranty covers any of those major problems I stated above so that’s good. I guess #1 on MS list is to sell all of their consoles to new customers and let the people with problematic ones wait until after the holidays.

Striek

If X360 is having such serious problems (which mostly seem attributed to some very bad heating issues), I fear for the Revolution. Maybe this is the reason for the low amount of shipped units, hardware difficulties?

-james-

From the avsforums:

Partial XBOX 360 recall?
I just called around to a dozen local stores to see who would have the most inventory for a camp out tonight. Sadly, most stores were getting only 2-12 units of each. Any a few told me they were blocked with pre-orders well into 2006.

But what surprised me the most was when I called the local ToysRus, they said they were receiving less than originally expected because Microsoft recalled some of the 360's? Has anyone else heard anything about a recall? I'm just wondering if this lady had her info mixed up? Maybe some were re-directed to another store and not actually recalled?

There will be enough shortages as is without MS recalling some of them!

BS or not? Would make sense due to how few machines showed up for launch and preorders.

-james-

Ive been browsing around various xbox forums and this seems to be a widespread problem. Apparently people cant even get through to tech support and are told that they have to call back later due to the volume of calls coming in......worst launch EVER?

from xbox.com:

Call the Customer Support number and press the number for the Xbox not the Xbox 360. The 360 is having a HUGE amount of calls with their defective product and will tell you to call back later. Once the Xbox service tech answers, tell them to switch you over to the 360 tech. I was on hold for 30 minutes and the 360 tech couldn't fix my system. They are sending out a box for me to mail my system back for repair. Can you believe this CRAP?

Raven.

Banned
Wow wonder what's gonna happen in japan(within those small crammed rooms, I've heard are common over there.)... and as said summer...

Chiggs

-james- said:
Ive been browsing around various xbox forums and this seems to be a widespread problem. Apparently people cant even get through to tech support and are told that they have to call back later due to the volume of calls coming in......worst launch ever?

from xbox.com:

Here's the thing: With an event like this, there will always be defective units - that's just how it is. And, of course, those that receive the defective units are going to be rightfully pissed - especially if they waited in line for eight hours - which then leads to the "vocal minority" rule.

There is no doubt in my mind that there are defective units out there; however, I think a lot of people are trying to blow this way out of preportion. In my opinion, the people that are complaining about this want to stir up as much shit as possible, and once they happen to find someone in a similar situation as them, the fun really begins; after all, misery loves company. Over the course of the last day or so, I've seen some of the biggest Xbots on the Team Xbox/Xbox.com forums unleash fits of e-rage at Microsoft after getting a defective unit, even going so far as to claim that they have jumped ship to Sony after this "debacle". This after defending the Xbox 360 for well over half a year; so that should tell you just how ridiculous, pathetic, confused and emotionally chaotic your average human is. The same thing happened with the PS2 in 2000, as well (Nintendo build-quality, FTW!).

As far as this being the worst launch ever... I'm not so sure; however, it most assuredly has been a real clusterfuck.

trilobyte

White Man said:
Slashdot is pretty much the weekly world news of tech rags. They can buy themselves some credibility by putting out my RMS/Woz fanfics.
lol what? I think you got them confused with The Inquirer

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Chiggs said:
Here's the thing: With an event like this, there will always be defective units - that's just how it is. And, of course, those that receive the defective units are going to be rightfully pissed - especially if they waited in line for eight hours - which then leads to the "vocal minority" rule.

There is no doubt in my mind that there are defective units out there; however, I think a lot of people are trying to blow this way out of preportion. In my opinion, the people that are complaining about this want to stir up as much shit as possible, and once they happen to find someone in a similar situation as them, the fun really begins; after all, misery loves company. Over the course of the last day or so, I've seen some of the biggest Xbots on the Team Xbox/Xbox.com forums unleash fits of e-rage at Microsoft after getting a defective unit, even going so far as to claim that they have jumped ship to Sony after this "debacle". This after defending the Xbox 360 for well over half a year; so that should tell you just how ridiculous, pathetic, confused and emotionally chaotic your average human is. The same thing happened with the PS2 in 2000, as well (Nintendo build-quality, FTW!).

As far as this being the worst launch ever... I'm not so sure; however, it most assuredly has been a real clusterfuck.

Well, I agree that people are over reacting against Microsoft, but however they are exposing their complains those problems are still out there. And I keep earing about them from different sources every time a log in a message board.

I'm actually scared. I hope I wont join the "vocal minority" once I get my PAL system at launch.

Juice

Chiggs said:

I think it's fair to say that somebody defending the 360 like it was their job for 6 months, only to pay out the ass for one that didn't work, would probably be ready to turn in their jacket.

What I really wonder is whether this noise will become loud enough that Microsoft will respond to it. I mean, just for being criticized that the screen scratched too easily, Apple has now included a protective sleeve with ever Nano and still faces a class action lawsuit. That didn't even have anything to do with the operation of the system, and it certainly wasn't a majority of purchasers complaining.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
TTP said:
Well, I agree that people are over reacting against Microsoft, but however they are exposing their complains those problems are still out there. And I keep earing about them from different sources every time a log in a message board.

I'm actually scared. I hope I wont join the "vocal minority" once I get my PAL system at launch.

:(.

I am in the same boat as you are.

Chiggs

TTP said:

Scared? You should be excited! They're not all broken!

Like I said, I'm not doubting that there are defective units, it's just that I've seen this sort of situation before get way out of hand. The person affected tries to push their reality on others by ranting and raving, desperately trying to make a big deal out of something that might not even be that big of deal except to them. This isn't true in all cases, but I still believe a lot of what you're seeing on forums lately is exactly what I've said it to be.

Look, If I had saved up $700.00+ (which I did), then taken time off of work (which I did), only to get a defective unit (which I haven't...so far), I'd be awfully fucking mad, too. I can understand that. That said, it's still pretty ridiculous for people to start lashing out and taking things so personally, while simultaneously having unrealistic expectations. My God, it's a piece of complicated machinery with 1700 parts - THERE ARE GOING TO BE SOME DEFECTS. Newflash - The human body also has deflects and flaws in it - some of which will possibly lead to your death! Time to get mad at God/Aliens/Whatever the hell you believe in.

In all seriousness, though, if this is actually a widespread issue (and I'm talking well over 10% affected), I will be very surprised.

Juice

Chiggs said:
Scared? You should be excited! They're not all broken!

Like I said, I'm not doubting that there are defective units, it's just that I've seen this sort of situation before get way out of hand. The person affected tries to push their reality on others by ranting and raving, desperately trying to make a big deal out of something that might not even be that big of deal except to them. This isn't true in all cases, but I still believe a lot of what you're seeing on forums lately is exactly what I've said it to be.

Look, If I had saved up $700.00+ (which I did), then taken time off of work (which I did), only to get a defective unit (which I haven't...so far), I'd be awfully fucking mad, too. I can understand that. That said, it's still pretty ridiculous for people to start lashing out and taking things so personally, while simultaneously having unrealistic expectations. My God, it's a piece of complicated machinery with 1700 parts - THERE ARE GOING TO BE SOME DEFECTS. Newflash - The human body also has deflects and flaws in it - some of which will possibly lead to your death! Time to get mad at God/Aliens/Whatever the hell you believe in.

In all seriousness, though, if this is actually a widespread issue (and I'm talking well over 10% affected), I will be very surprised.

You know, there was a time (and I believe it's still now), where a manufacturer's default rate of above 1% was a really big deal.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Shompola said:
Well Gaming Age even had an article, a shitty one about how Xboxs were dying all over NA. Dreamcast is another one, and then we have the PS2 incident in Japan.... And who can forget the dead pixel issue with PSP in NA, and the disc drives dying in Japan. Nintendo hardware are the only one I cant remember hearing anything negative about.
I remember all of that except the piece that I bolded. When on earth did that occur? I don't remember ever reading anything along those lines, and I was actually paying attention. Can you dig something up?

Chiggs

Juice said:
You know, there was a time (and I believe it's still now), where a manufacturer's default rate of above 1% was a really big deal.

That's pretty low. You sure about that? Also, are we talking strictly electronics here - or does this apply to all manufacturers?

McFly

1% of what? 700'000 consoles? That's 7000 angry customers! 10%? 70'000! Trust me, everything above 1% is already a big deal. 10% would be reason enough for a recall.

Fredi

Excelion

Banned
That's pretty low. You sure about that? Also, are we talking strictly electronics here - or does this apply to all manufacturers?

Within the first year, 2% of Seagate HDD are dying, that's the lowest score for a HDD manufacturer (IBM was as high as 8% in 2000). A Seagate HDD is part of the Xbox360 premium pack ...

6 out of the top 10 stories at Gametab are about failing 360's

http://www.gametab.com/

xbox 360 defective launch systems common
Xbox 360 Very Unstable
Hours Old and PGR3 Crashing Like Mad
Xbox 360 Gets Executed
PS3 Not To Launch At $300-$400
Is your 360 Defective?
Best Buy Sold-Out Shenanigans?
Xbox 360 Crashes Reported
Getting an HDTV for the 360 is Hell
Don't Panic!: Reports of 360 Defects Overrated ...

pieyow

Well like I said in another thread ALL new console launches tend to have issues and one of the reasons why I wait on buying a new game system when it first comes out.
First release hardware tend to be "buggy" (similar to pc games) and end up being revised for various things (heating, better parts, software upgrades/changes, etc...). Consumers aren't informed of this because normally the problem cases don't effect everyone and the bad systems either get recalled (in worst circumstances) or current stock simply gets swapped out over time.
So far all game systems to date (that I'm aware of) have all had minor revisions for different reasons. And most have done some minor hardware changes.

Shompola

Banned
dark10x said:
I remember all of that except the piece that I bolded. When on earth did that occur? I don't remember ever reading anything along those lines, and I was actually paying attention. Can you dig something up?

When PSP was released in Japan, I thought we heard about that incident? I know it was inflated but still it was reported online.

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
This is to be expected. So basically of all 10 Xbox 360 units supplied to NA, how many had this problem? 2 of them? I kid I kid.

But seriously this could be the normal defective launch units ala ps2 or microsoft's early launch got them pre0wned...

Taibhse

Slashdot

M$

GAF thread.

Yes, this sample size is large enough to support our conclusions.

Also, M$, el oh el.

See now you don't have to read any threads at slashdot or gaf.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"I remember all of that except the piece that I bolded. When on earth did that occur? I don't remember ever reading anything along those lines, and I was actually paying attention. Can you dig something up?"

i don't recall that either.

Saying that, the drive on one of my unit is now dead. But hey, it's the emu unit, so no biggie

DHGamer

I've had one freeze-up while playing Halo 2. Downloaded the new patch along with the Live patch, started a new game and got to the point in the opening level where you're sealing off the docking bays and it froze up.

The ring of light stayed normal (just showing green for the wireless controller). The 360 itself was barely warm and the power supply wasn't even what I'd call warm at all. So I have no clue WTH happened but hopefully it's an isolated incident.

Juice

Shompola said:
When PSP was released in Japan, I thought we heard about that incident? I know it was inflated but still it was reported online.

I don't think it actually happened. I think he was just listing things.

Juice

MaestroRyan said:
How many of you that have had problems solved them? How many Xboxes are totally fucked? How many Xbox360 owners out of the GAF group had problems at all?

One thing I worry about for people who have a fucked up 360 is that when they hear they won't be getting another for 6 weeks, they might try to get it working via a home remedy that might end up voiding their warranty.

God knows if I had 6 weeks to stare at a broken game console I'd just spent $400 on, I'd probably give into the urge to just try and see whether the console would work suspended under an attic fan, under water, or at a 45-degree angle.

Top Bottom