• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 vs. PS3, aka "these dicks haven't still been measured enough, must continue still"

LordOfChaos

I never understood how people forgave MS for the RROD. I believe it was something like 92% chance your xbox360 (before the slim) is prone to RROD. I got it, it burned through my motherboard and they told me I could sell it for parts or pay for another motherboard which was like 2/3 the price. And yes I lived in a country where the extended 3 yr warranty did not apply. It was just bonkers that MS got away with it buy giving extra warranty after which some peoples consoles would RROD for the third or 4th time.

It was pretty bad. What amazes me is that they never really changed much to fix it, there was the hackey addition to the GPU heatsink and some extra motherboard glue, but largely they relied on the natural progression of die shrinks to reduce heat enough to largely circumvent the issue by Jasper.

IMG_0887.jpg

When i took mine apart I almost couldn't believe they barely changed the production line, instead cutting out a part of the old heatsink block and sticking a heatpipe through!

Anyways, while it was bad, that was also 14 years ago, for another example Apples 2009-2011 soldergate wasn't really solved either, every replacement motherboard they gave within that program had the same flaw, probably one of their worst treatments of customers. But people move on if the new product is compelling.

golden age of console wars tbh, what were your account names on gametrailers guys
True! During 7th gen, lots of people migrated to PCs (mainly former 360 users, coincidence?) since Steam caused a "PC renaissance" (sort of), so 8th gen warz seem rather tame in comparison.

With 9th gen I expect lots of PC folks to migrate back to consoles (since mid-range/high-end PC hardware prices seem to be skyrocketing), so maybe things will get more heated once again... :p

ethomaz

Banned
It was more like 33-50 percent but the ps3 ylod was a big problem too.

All launch 360 and ps3s are doomed eventually.

People forgave 360 because the games were there and it was a graphical monster for 2005
I have a launch PS3.
I have a launch PS4 too.

To be fair I never had any issue with launch consoles.

Last edited:

Pidull

I will always be a PS3 apologist. System was garbage at first, but between a PC, PS3, and Wii, I had everything I wanted (except Halo). The $500-600 price was idiotic, but once the system dropped to $400 and especially $300, it was a complete beast.

For starters, the exclusive content blew the 360 away as far as I was concerned. They pulled off some amazing work with some of the games on the PS3, later exclusives especially looked great. 360 had Gears first, but as soon as MGS4 and Uncharted 2 were out, the PS3 exclusives took the crown. Killzone 2 neogaf gif thread FTW (shame about that input lag).

Beyond that, the online was free, it included a blu-ray drive that received regular updates (including for 3D content), and all units had backwards compatibility for PS1 games. It also didn't have nearly as many issues with hardware quality as the 360 did.

Grand scheme of things, if you could afford multiple systems but still wanted to save money, PS3 and Wii and PC was the best option.

frogger

I preordered a lunch PS3, then sold it on ebay and made $400, and bought a xbox 360 with the money. And it red ring on me 6 month later, good I bought extra insurance from Gamestop. I went through 3 Xbox 360 and two ps3 last gen total.

Last edited:

frogger

To be fair, it's not like the 360 went out with a whimper, at least graphically...the Rise of The Tomb Raider port was pretty bloody impressive, even out side of the pre-rendered cutscenes.

Crysis 2 and 3 were graphical show cases on the X360 too.

LordOfChaos

Crysis 2 and 3 were graphical show cases on the X360 too.

It's amazing it ran on the 7th gen, but it was at, err, "cinematic" framerates in the low 20s, often extended periods down to 20-22 on PS3 and only a few frames better on 360

Last edited:
All my third parties games i got on Xbox 360.

All the exclusive and jp only games i got for ps3.

Both are great! But as a nicho jp games lover, i still like ps3 more. But 360 is an awesome console also with great exclusives. It's a close tie for me....reeeealy close!

diffusionx

Gold Member
I got a 360 in 2006 and a PS3 in 2007. I remember booting up my PS3 and being amazed at how crude the whole setup was in comparison... it was really bad. Not Xbox One launch bad, but bad. The XMB was slick but that was it. Over time they added a lot but it seemed like Sony was always fighting against some bad design decisions they made way before, just like, well, the Xbox One.

Still it had some cool games and many I really wish Sony would have continued on PS4 instead of relying solely on single player action titles.

I never understood how people forgave MS for the RROD. I believe it was something like 92% chance your xbox360 (before the slim) is prone to RROD. I got it, it burned through my motherboard and they told me I could sell it for parts or pay for another motherboard which was like 2/3 the price. And yes I lived in a country where the extended 3 yr warranty did not apply. It was just bonkers that MS got away with it buy giving extra warranty after which some peoples consoles would RROD for the third or 4th time.

It's true, with the 360 it was not a matter of if it failed but when. That said, I think they fixed the problem for good before the Slim... I think it was the Jasper chipset. Sorry for your situation but people forgave them because MS replaced them for free over time.

My PS3 60gb Fat is still going strong, although I guess theoretically it could crap out at any moment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom