• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox avatars to get improved graphics, new features.

Diknak

Neo Member
I know it's not popular, but I actually really like the avatars if they are done right. I would really like to see the 'friends' pane on the xbox one use the avatars to communicate who is online instead of just tiles.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I really hope Avatars are optional. I really thought they gave a childish feel to the whole Xbox experience last gen. In fact, they were embarrassingly lame. I actually felt like Microsoft respected me as an adult with the One, for once.

Ugh.

mollipen

Microsoft's Avatars were far and away my favorite implementation of the "virtual characters" idea from the big three, and I was sad to see how downplayed they were on the Xbox One.

So, I'm absolutely all for this, and them coming back to more prominence, so long as their overall style doesn't change. Sony's were far too realistic, Nintendo's far too simplistic—Microsoft's hit that perfect middle ground for me. If this is keeping the same style but giving them better resolution and whatnot (to look more CG), I'm (probably) fine with that. Just, seriously, don't make them more serious / mature / whatever.

And I weep for anyone who bitches about them being "childish". I don't know why people can't have fun, and that just perpetuates the stereotype that all Xbox gamers are dudebros.

bobawesome

o4Ukj0C.png

Finally I can see my beautiful avatar again.

I don't actually own an Xbox anymore.

Bessy67

I really hope Avatars are optional. I really thought they gave a childish feel to the whole Xbox experience last gen. In fact, they were embarrassingly lame. I actually felt like Microsoft respected me as an adult with the One, for once.

Ugh.
They're already on Xbox One, and they're optional.

Sydle

I liked my avatar and the implementation of it in several games, namely Kinect Sports, Doritos: Crash Course, JoyRide Turbo, and 1 vs 100. I bet we see them in Project Spark.

Hopefully they update all the current items to the new style (I like my Alan Wake outfit).

Stevey

I spent a fair bit of money on my old avatar- mainly adidas trainers, so looking forward to this in a way.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
They're already on Xbox One, and they're optional.
Right. How they are now is fine by me. But if Microsoft is putting money into revamping them, I can almost guarantee they're not going to be optional for long.

see5harp

I really liked Avatars and the way they integrated achievements into getting items. I don't mind them being optional, but based on the use of them with the large majority of people on my friend's list, A LOT of people like them, at least for creating their gamer pics.

Alx

Ugh.

You start being an adult when you stop caring about appearing childish.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I always kind of enjoyed Avatars.

I'll be curious to see how the graphics look.

Although with the Always running in the background/multitasking OS of the XBO I feel like this could waste resources on an already horsepower starved console..

Guess we will see.

Anion

If they are high enough in quality, I wonder if some games might utilize them

Fall 2014
I could see it being like smash, except you only can use your avatars. Would incentivize buying cool avatar items or getting them from other game unlocks. Heck they could even make a marketplace like in tf2. But the game would have to be a f2p and I don't see the mass appeal.

Avatars were so ugly and made the 360 UI look so lame.

Why not just let people upload their own pics, while selling gaming related avatars like on PSN? I much prefer uploading my own pic, even though it's limited at the moment to friends and uploadable only via the PS App.

Oh wait, I didn't know you could make microtransactions off of them, so I guess that explains that.

see5harp

Avatars were so ugly and made the 360 UI look so lame.

Why not just let people upload their own pics, while selling gaming related avatars like on PSN? I much prefer uploading my own pic, even though it's limited at the moment to friends and uploadable only via the PS App.

The PS4 made some strides this gen (although execution is pretty poor) but to actually say you'd rather them sell avatars as opposed to allowing users to create their own gamerpics is bananas. Hell, last gen you could actually take pictures with the xbox vision cam. They sucked compared to the custom gamerpics with avatars.

Im not against the idea of avatars having more of a presence on Xbox One. Just a little something to give the system some character and something to use across some games. Probably 70% of the people on my friends list still use Avatars as their gamerpic, but yet i have no way of actually seeing their Avatars. Im not against it, but it can be done wrong in a way that could really hinder the UI.

fred

Doesn't matter what they do with them, the same with Sony's equivalent. They're not going to have anywhere near as much character as the original, the Mii.

I don't know what it is about Miis that make them look so much better, perhaps it's because they're a great deal simpler.. ?

My Microsoft and Sony avatars look nothing like me, my Mii most certainly does.

Give us fat avatars Microsoft! I know some of my friends aren't as attractive as their avatars make them appear, it's unrealistic. Let them balloon themselves up. Then all of those people cosplaying like Storm Troopers will actually look people cosplaying as Storm Troopers in real life; Paul Blart: Space Mall Cop.
I'm the only fat person in Playstation Home.

Top Bottom