• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox avatars to get improved graphics, new features.

This better not be what Phil was referring to when he said he had just seen something new from Rare.

They're still there. I use mine to create my Xbox One gamertag photo.

Nah, definitely a new game from Rare, definitely not Kinect related as well.

The job apps, are unrelated to Rare as well.

ZF7XaEG.png

Derpyduck

Banned
Nah, definitely a new game from Rare, definitely not Kinect related as well.

Yeah, I was just kidding. I don't actually mind the avatars. Some of the Avatar games were good (namely the Dorito games and 1 v 100). My hope is that the game he saw at Rare was a 3D platformer.

Wizz-Art

The fact that some (online multiplayer-) games; Monopoly Streets, Scene It BOS, Crash Course, Motocross Madness etc. implemented them in game was a really cool and fun feature I think.

They looked good to me, don't see the necessity for improvements, but then again who knows what they have in plan with avatars on One.

Shin-Ra

I hate the sterile look the original Avatars had. They looked like they were designed primarily to not be offensive, which is commendable, but they looked so... bland.

Designed by committee is how I'd describe the original Avatars.
I find them offensive, really tacky looking. At least the Home avatars had the decency to stay inside Home.

Footos22

Cool. I like the Xbox avatars. Hopefully they let you scan in your face like in Kinect Sports Rivals. That was a really cool and overlooked feature.
Looked just like me. If I was 40 had a massive chin and a huge forehead. Such a bs feature. Everyone I know who's done it looks nothing like what renders on the screen.

abadguy

Banned
I really hope Avatars are optional. I really thought they gave a childish feel to the whole Xbox experience last gen. In fact, they were embarrassingly lame. I actually felt like Microsoft respected me as an adult with the One, for once.

Ugh.

Sorry i have to ask but...serious post?

Anyway, the Avatars were pretty harmless. Not sure why people make such a fuss about them.

synce

Just don't make it like playstation home where you needed to spend 9 hours just to create something that either looked like a way uglier or way better looking version of you. If it takes longer than 10-15 minutes to create an avatar it's a flawed system

Lazaro

Called it. Avatars will resemble the ones made in Kinect Sports Rivals.

Kinect will accurately capture your "facial features."

#UniquelyRare

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Kotaku did a story on the development of these avatars a few years back:

http://kotaku.com/5269441/the-untold-story-of-the-xbox-360-avatars

This quote shows why they were/are so bland:

"We labored long and hard on the look of the avatars from the outset", says Musgrave. "Our main goal was to create a style that did not alienate ANYBODY . . . this was about bringing people TO Xbox, not turning them off, and we deliberately went about creating something that was intrinsically human, but customizable to a point where people could express their personality within the system".

1 vs 100 confirmed? Please!

If this leads to them bringing back 1 vs 100 and introducing some other community games, I'm all for it.

Besides. I kind of like avatars. Not to the point of spending money on them or anything, but those achievement-based rewards are kinda cool.

Top Bottom