• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Boss Phil Spencer Calls For Cross-Platform Ban Program

Kev Kev

Uncle Phil is drunk

tumblr_inline_pbgzxyTrAk1rajuss_250.gifv

Last edited:

Tschumi

I have two PlayStation accounts, different emails, one made in behalf of my wife which I also use to get free upgrades for Japanese disc versions i own (final fantasy 7 r)

It would just be so easy for the crapheass to get around this.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Not even in theory is this not bad. Collusion between corporations against gamers? You violate one company's terms you violate them all? That's bullshit.

His alternate is a lot more reasonable and allows users to bring in their own white/black list to multiple platforms instead of the platform enforcing it:

Alternatively, Spencer said he would embrace a system that allows players to bring their "banned user list" to them on another platform. "And I'd love to be able to bring them to other networks where I play. So this is the group of people that I choose not to play with. Because I don't want to have to recreate that in every platform that I play video games on," he said.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
People can already do this on their own.

Individually, this is more like an 'import' system but that would in theory also need to allow you to import your profile across environments.

Again, this is all just hypothetical and I doubt will ever actually happen on closed platforms like consoles.

Topher

Gold Member
Individually, this is more like an 'import' system but that would in theory also need to allow you to import your profile across environments.

Again, this is all just hypothetical and I doubt will ever actually happen on closed platforms like consoles.

Who cares? None of that negates the collusion between corporations that Phil Spencer is advocating. There is no silver lining here.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Any policy that enables the possibility of "wrongthink" to be excommunicated from all aspects of any corner of society should be aggressively opposed.

It only takes a minute to think of all the ways an idea like this could go horribly wrong and be abused, and how difficult it would be to get someone banned for something nonsensical to be reinstated on all gaming platforms, because there isn't a button that would do that. It would be a lengthy process having to go to one platform at a time, each would take weeks/months if it happens at all. It would be an impossible task.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Given the current state of some games - Halo Infinite, Battlefield 2042 - cheating is literally the last thing you'll be banned for. This isn't about "cheaters", and anyone who thinks it is isn't paying attention. We already have some folks in the media openly propagating their own curated blacklists, which of course them ultimate power in terms of who is allowed to breath in a given sphere. American McCarthyism used to be a flag, indicating you've gone too far down your own ideological rabbit hole. Now, its applauded. Fuck this idea, and fuck anyone who supports it.

QFT!

I'd hope that all platform holders do permanent bans as an absolute last resort only. Over time you have a lot of software tied up with these accounts, I'd hate to lose my Live account that's for sure. And even my PS account, though I have less software attached to that one. I have zero issues with ignore lists or things that give players the ability to avoid contact with other players (since those other players are otherwise unaffected). Last thing we need is some weird ban wars where everyone is trying to ban everyone for no good reason.
This is the issue with these bans, they don't just remove access to communication and online games, you lose everything if they decide they don't like what you said... Not just on xbox either.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This is the issue with these bans, they don't just remove access to communication and online games, you lose everything if they decide they don't like what you said... Not just on xbox either.

Not a problem with the all digital folks supporting this ;)… because they a.) do not think about it and b.) even if they do they think it will never apply to them. Robespierre probably thought the same thing :/.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
how? He does a great job look at xbox now .
Well how to say you are not reading the OP and the other article about Xbox online content moderation without saying it ;).

Lot of cheaters in this thread that don't want to be banned on all platforms.
Sure, it is all about cheaters… meanwhile his own brand spanking new live service game has cheating issues they are not working very quick to fix ;).

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
nobody want this. not even phil himself.

That's what I thought. Then I thought I'd look at the comments on Eurogamer and Polygon. Low and behold, the top rated comments are from people who actually think this is a good idea.

Well how to say you are not reading the OP and the other article about Xbox online content moderation without saying it ;).

Sure, it is all about cheaters… meanwhile his own brand spanking new live service game has cheating issues they are not working very quick to fix ;).
I never had a problem. Its their house their rules its that simple.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That's what I thought. Then I thought I'd look at the comments on Eurogamer and Polygon. Low and behold, the top rated comments are from people who actually think this is a good idea.
Because they a.) have never really been in a war or some big seismic civil right fight and want to feel like they are on one (without having any clue of what that means and few but sociopaths ever enjoyed being in such scenarios, they had to be there) b.) they think it will never apply to them / affect them and it is easier to be self righteous against others (justifying suffering for the greater good) c.) they see themselves reflected in these laws/rules and they hate on others because they hate themselves.

More concisely… sigh 😞.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I never had a problem. Its their house their rules its that simple.

Yeah, just like North Korea.

LOL

I kid, but for real though: There's a trend of creeping authoritarianism in the name of "safety" both online and in the world generally today that's impossible to deny, and we're at a point where -especially if you're young- you ought to really start to question who's benefit this is for.

The reality is that, especially online, you're being given a say in pointing out who the "bad guys" are, and how they should be punished, but you're not given the same rights in terms of protections and recourses. Its a punitive one-way-street. That's tyranny, not safety.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Yeah, just like North Korea.

LOL

I kid, but for real though: There's a trend of creeping authoritarianism in the name of "safety" both online and in the world generally today that's impossible to deny, and we're at a point where -especially if you're young- you ought to really start to question who's benefit this is for.

The reality is that, especially online, you're being given a say in pointing out who the "bad guys" are, and how they should be punished, but you're not given the same rights in terms of protections and recourses. Its a punitive one-way-street. That's tyranny, not safety.

Give it a few years and the Western nations will have a system that is similar to the CCP social credit system.

Banned on XBL for whatever reason. Tut tut. Now you're unable to buy/rent a house, take out a loan, book a flight, take out a credit card, get employment etc.

People laugh, but honestly this is the way I see society heading. What Phil is suggesting is a slippery slope into an Orwellian nightmare.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
In theory .. what he's saying isn't bad, but there's just no way to enforce it so it's just a pie in the sky concept on Phil's part.

It really isn‘t. Let‘s use Reddit as an example.

Say you posted on G4‘s Subreddit and stated something like „I think people should focus less on immutable characteristics and more on the content of the person‘s character“ and you were banned (This literally happened just a couple days back). If there was „cross bans“ then for that common sense statement that angered one crazy cunt, you are now banned from all of Reddit.

It only takes one psychotic cunt to ruin it all for someone. And we have too many of those in power right Now.

Top Bottom