• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox calendar Q4 2015 financial results: MAUs soar 30% to record 48 million

DieH@rd

Banned
MS financial report for last quarter is out, but for Xbox all we get is:

Xbox Live monthly active users grew 30% year-over-year to a record 48 million

“It was a strong holiday season for Microsoft highlighted by Surface and Xbox,” said Kevin Turner, chief operating officer at Microsoft. “

All hail the based MAU

http://www.microsoft.com/Investor/E...gs/SegmentResults/P3/FY16/Q2/Performance.aspx

Gaming revenue increased $192 million or 5%, primarily due to higher revenue from Xbox Live and video games, offset in part by lower Xbox hardware revenue. Xbox Live revenue increased 24%, driven by both higher volumes of transactions and higher revenue per transaction. Video games revenue grew 47%, driven by the Halo 5 launch in October 2015 and sales of Minecraft. We acquired Mojang AB, the Swedish video game developer of the Minecraft gaming franchise, in November 2014. Xbox hardware revenue decreased 9%, mainly due to a decline in Xbox 360 console volume. Xbox One revenue decreased slightly, due to higher console volume, offset by lower prices of consoles sold.

Shenmue

Banned
Does anyone else currently use MAU as a metric right now or is this just breaking their own records versus records in the industry?

Verendus

Banned
Gaming revenue increased $192 million or 5%, primarily due to higher revenue from Xbox Live and video games
Xbox Live revenue increased 24%, driven by both higher volumes of transactions and higher revenue per transaction
Video games revenue grew 47%
giphy.gif

Occam

How about actual sales data instead of "number of bullets fired in Call of Duty" kind of information?
How many consoles were sold?
mau-mau-606264441_00.jpeg

DieH@rd

Banned
How about actual sales data instead of "number of bullets fired in Call of Duty" kind of information?

They don't want to release numbers for a console that is being outsold in every country in the world.

[Sony did the same when PS3/PSP/Vita were in sales trouble]

Conduit

Banned
So, looks like Xbone sales are down if Xbone didn't pushed sales enough for positive hardware revenue even if X360 sales are low.

How many consoles were sold?

Sony and ms never usually released sales in quarterly reports often. And when they started to the other usually shaddupped when the other was winning.

Sydle

Nice growth. I'm very interested to see how the extension of exclusives to Windows 10/PC affects the MAU's over the course of this year with multiplayer games like KI, Fable Legends, Gears Ultimate, and Sea of Thieves. Would be cool if they broke down MAU's by device type, but I doubt they will.

ViciousDS

Banned
Don't all Windows 10 PC's come with xbox app built in? Coukdnt people just login and have it count even if they don't own an xbox?

Does anyone else currently use MAU as a metric right now or is this just breaking their own records versus records in the industry?

Social networks like Facebook & Twitter all use MAUs.

Playstation does as well, but it's not a reportable key metric, just additional info they share as and when. As of last year April their MAU was 65 million.

I thought it was already 48 million MAU?
No. As of the end of September, they were at 39 million. That was a 28% rise YOY. So over the 2015 holidays they did just a bit better than the 2014 holidays (from 28% above to 32% above the previous year's results).

However, I believe the Live number includes PC accounts as well as 360 and Xbox One, and we don't know which segment(s) contributed to the rise.

jayu26

All kind of meaningless without real numbers.

Did we ever figure out what MAU actually means. 48 million MAU sounds like a number I have heard before.

Gaf experts to inform us on how this is actually terrible and pat Sony on the back

What's with the preemptive persecution complex post?

No surprise there.

He didn't say this?

Anyway of course Win phone declined, they have their 2 flagships on one carrier because they fed up. Even BB just got on tmobile.

Oh, I will give them they are still 3rd when it comes to the top moneymaking smartphone manufacturers at like 2% with apple and same taking the other 98.. Unless that's changed.

Win is good but I have no clue how they are still running this well In comparison to other sphone companies given there cpnstant string of mistakes.

I signed up for a Live account using Win 10 on my Vaio. Therefore I am one of those 48 million? Or is this Gold members on console? Silver not included even though they may be active?

"Xbox One revenue decreased slightly, due to higher console volume, offset by lower prices of consoles sold"

"Xbox hardware revenue decreased 9%, mainly due to a decline in Xbox 360 console volume."

Xbox One sales didn't increase enough to offset the lower 360 sales. Not good.

Not doom and gloom, but combining Xbox family still adds up to taking a L now.

Sydle

And since they don't tell us the number of active Live members on Xbox, it makes the use of this metric completely pointless.

Xbox MAU is number of active Xbox Live users.

What if the increase came from Windows?

Then that bodes well for their strategy to extend Xbox across all Windows 10 devices. Should continue to climb as they roll out their exclusives to be on both Xbox One and PC.

Top Bottom