• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox calendar Q4 2015 financial results: MAUs soar 30% to record 48 million

They don't want to release numbers for a console that is being outsold in every country in the world.

[Sony did the same when PS3/PSP/Vita were in sales trouble]

I thought Sony switched to "PlayStation Family" sales numbers with those systems. I didn't realize they went with just MAU type reports.

Shenmue

Banned
"Xbox One revenue decreased slightly, due to higher console volume, offset by lower prices of consoles sold"

When they say this are they comparing to the same quarter last year or the quarter immediately preceding? If it's comparing Q4 2015 to Q4 2014 weren't the prices of consoles pretty much the same?

"Xbox hardware revenue decreased 9%, mainly due to a decline in Xbox 360 console volume."

Xbox One sales didn't increase enough to offset the lower 360 sales. Not good.

Not doom and gloom, but combining Xbox family still adds up to taking a L now.
They sold less 360s and more xbones, but on smaller price. Very clear.

singhr1

Don't all Windows 10 PC's come with xbox app built in? Coukdnt people just login and have it count even if they don't own an xbox?

Yeah but people putting the effort to make a Xbox Live account out of their MS account or otherwise is impressive. If they login and keep logging in is what's important for retention, making them long-term MAU.

Xbox hardware revenue decreased 9%, mainly due to a decline in Xbox 360 console volume. Xbox One revenue decreased slightly, due to higher console volume, offset by lower prices of consoles sold.

Really undercuts the narrative that Xbox as a platform is doing well if MS can't make up for lost 360 HW revenues with Xbox One HW revenues even as they're selling more units.

I thought Sony switched to "PlayStation Family" sales numbers with those systems. I didn't realize they went with just MAU type reports.
This is correct. Here, MS have buried Xbone console sales behind a number that includes users on Xbone,360, smartphones, tablets, and Pc's. 48 million seems awfully small considering how many PC's and windows smart devices are out in the wild.

e-gamer

Having 48 million users in their game ecossystem is a good number if you are working on integrate all the platforms (PC/Mobile/Console).

Sydle

I signed up for a Live account using Win 10 on my Vaio. Therefore I am one of those 48 million? Or is this Gold members on console? Silver not included even though they may be active?

It includes people who have a Xbox Live profile (a Microsoft account is not an automatic Xbox Live gamertag), is Silver or Gold, and has been active within the reporting period (e.g., month).

This is correct. Here, MS have buried Xbone console sales behind a number that includes users on Xbone,360, smartphones, tablets, and Pc's. 48 million seems awfully small considering how many PC's and windows smart devices are out in the wild.

But there aren't that many games on PC that require Xbox Live and their phone sales are tiny.

Yeah but people putting the effort to make a Xbox Live account out of their MS account or otherwise is impressive. If they login and keep logging in is what's important for retention, making them long-term MAU.
It takes zero effort. It literally creates an account for you. You're looking at Rapidfish428161 or whatever it was until I changed it.

This is what happens when you follow the ways of MAU. The Xbox brand will see great prosperity from here on.

The title of the thread made me laugh lol

When they say this are they comparing to the same quarter last year or the quarter immediately preceding? If it's comparing Q4 2015 to Q4 2014 weren't the prices of consoles pretty much the same?
All the comparisons are 2015 versus 2014. No, prices were not the same both years. Xbox One could be purchased for $299 during much of December last year; it never went that low in 2014.

cilonen

giphy.gif

...lower Xbox hardware revenue.
Xbox hardware revenue decreased 9%, mainly due to a decline in Xbox 360 console volume.
Xbox One revenue decreased slightly, due to higher console volume, offset by lower prices of consoles sold.

Cherry picking is fun!

Sydle

It's only logical.

It's actually completely illogical at this point considering MS finally rolled it into the OS group as part of their strategy to grow Windows users and usage against competition like Google and Apple, both of which have made huge inroads in terms of OS marketshare when you consider the entire OS market.

Occam

It's actually completely illogical at this point considering MS finally rolled it into the OS group as part of their strategy to grow Windows users and usage against competition like Google and Apple, both of which have made huge inroads in terms of OS marketshare when you consider the entire OS market.

Humor, it's not for everyone.

Bizzquik

Legit Question:
How big of a presence is Windows 10 supposed to have at the Microsoft gaming conference on February 25th...?

I want to hear more about the company's overall Windows 10 strategy as it relates to gaming. By that date, we'll be nearly a full year since Phil's GDC appearance when he discussed cross-buy and cross-play between Xbox One and Windows 10.

Shenmue

Banned
All the comparisons are 2015 versus 2014. No, prices were not the same both years. Xbox One could be purchased for $299 during much of December last year; it never went that low in 2014.

Ah yeah I'm remembering wrong. They were only $299 in 2014 after factoring in the gift cards.

onQ123

No. As of the end of September, they were at 39 million. That was a 28% rise YOY. So over the 2015 holidays they did just a bit better than the 2014 holidays (from 28% above to 32% above the previous year's results).

However, I believe the Live number includes PC accounts as well as 360 and Xbox One, and we don't know which segment(s) contributed to the rise.

Oh ok it must have been the 39 million that I seen before.

Ah yeah I'm remembering wrong. They were only $299 in 2014 after factoring in the gift cards.
To be fair, I bet Microsoft paid retailers back for some of those gift card incentives in 2014. So the revenue difference per One sold probably wasn't all that huge. Just enough that slightly higher sales couldn't make up for it.

Yes, but was the increase in Xbox One units more or less than the decrease in 360 units sold?

Assumption: Xbox One units are priced higher than Xbox 360 units
Assumption: When MS says lower Xbox hardware revenue is due to lower Xbox 360 unit sales, they mean lower Xbox 360 unit sales were the primary contributor to the revenue decline

The only conclusion I can reach is that that 360 unit sales decline must have been larger than the Xbox One unit sales increase, since even at the lower price Xbox One unit sales are more expensive than Xbox 360 unit sales.

Sydle

Legit Question:
How big of a presence is Windows 10 supposed to have at the Microsoft gaming conference on February 25th...?

I want to hear more about the company's overall Windows 10 strategy as it relates to gaming. By that date, we'll be nearly a full year since Phil's GDC appearance when he discussed cross-buy and cross-play between Xbox One and Windows 10.

I suspect it will be central to the event.

According to the invite:

the chance to hear from Head of Xbox Phil Spencer and get hands-on with the best games and platform experiences launching this spring on Xbox and Windows 10.

Top Bottom