• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox E3 Conference 6/11 2pm PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponge

Banned
After Yooka-Laylee and the Crash trilogy, I think now is the time for a new Banjo game. Heck if Bubsy can come back there's so excuse at this point.

gamz

Here's hoping that MS is smart by having 80% of its conference focused on game news and the last 20% for Scorpio towards the end.

No way. Has to be first. You can't talk about Scorpio games throughout the show and show Scorpio last. That's goofy as hell.

Okay, here are my hopes and dreams:

- Scorpio is everything I want it to be and doesn't cost multiple limbs
- Ori 2 looks as good as the first
- AC: Origins is as good as it sounds
- OG Xbox BC
- Banjo-Threeie
- New Mistwalker JRPG
- Some Japanese 3rd parties on board for Scorpio
- New IP that isn't guns
- Rare Replay 2/DLC
- Cuphead and Below are finally coming out
- Borderlands 3
- Tales of Vesperia on BC

They could open with the reveal and end with the launch date/price
Exactly. They focus all conference on the Scorpio (also saying that those games are being released on the Xbox One) and then at the end Phil goes "You guys might be wondering how much will cost having this experience? I'm pleased to announce you can purchase this 4k goodness this fall for 399€!!"

Something along this would make for a great presentation flow. Start with the console itself, then the games and end it with the price.

Keinning

No, most BC games run better and they'll carry over to Scorpio. I thought DF already mentioned that.

BC games that were already bundled with the emulators for X1, sure.

You won't be able to run Ninja Gaiden on Scorpio just because though

SenkiDala

- OG Xbox BC
- Banjo-Threeie
- New Mistwalker JRPG
- New IP that isn't guns
- Rare Replay 2/DLC
- Borderlands 3

Well you have cool expectations, all of that sounds great. :)

jdmonmou

First doing Scorpio stuff is smarter. Then you have the freedom to talk about during the games stuff.
I think Scorpio is obviously the biggest news everyone is waiting for. They could build momentum for th unveiling with their game announcements and then towards the end announce these games were all running on Scorpio. Bring the console on stage, announce release date and price...the end. If this was truly a next-gen console I agree it would make sense to lead with Scorpio, but this is just an iterative upgrade. Sony played it smart last year to not even have Pro at E3. They just talked about games. The big elephant in the room with Scorpio is that it won't have a lot of upcoming exclusive 1st party games. They should address that concern right from the start before talking about Scorpio.

von zipp

- OG Xbox BC
- Banjo-Threeie
- New Mistwalker JRPG
- New IP that isn't guns
- Rare Replay 2/DLC
- Borderlands 3
Add renewed Splinter Cell and Crimson Skies...

My wishlist:

-4K, 60 FPS Halo MCC and 5.
-4K Sunset Overdrive
-Fable reboot
-Halo 3 Anniversary (seems pretty unlikely).
-New Banjo

As for confirmed things, I'm excited to see Crackdown 3. I like the Forza Horizon games, but don't care about the core series all that much. Sea of Thieves doesn't hold my interest at all, yet it could surprise me.

I still dream of an steam partnership

At the very least they need to repurpose their Xbox app into a well organized storefront/ games library. The Windows store is horrid, they need a store dedicated to games specifically.

iMax

I think the conference will start with a Scorpio design reveal video and the name—then straight into games until price/availability is announced at the end of the event—right before a Halo 6 tease.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
After Yooka-Laylee and the Crash trilogy, I think now is the time for a new Banjo game. Heck if Bubsy can come back there's so excuse at this point.

Xbox' audience was never the same as Nintendo's. It was Sega's and a lot of PC gamers. Sales of all experiments in extending the user base to those old IPs and a younger audience were lackluster. I think Killer Instinct is the first of those old IPs that actually had an impact and even there nobody knows if it was successful financially. Xbox audience mostly did not grow up with Banjo or those other N64 Rare games. And it wouldn't work now either, Switch and smartphones have that young audience covered. Xbox is about mature games, always has been, always will. Their core audience is the 21 to 35 year old male and that one mostly doesn't care about old Rare IPs. But most of all: Rare doesn't want to steal away any thunder from Sea of Thieves.

Crash trilogy is a thing because the Playstation audience of today grew up with those games on PS1 and 2.

gamz

I think Scorpio is obviously the biggest news everyone is waiting for. They could build momentum for th unveiling with their game announcements and then towards the end announce these games were all running on Scorpio. Bring the console on stage, announce release date and price...the end. If this was truly a next-gen console I agree it would make sense to lead with Scorpio, but this is just an iterative upgrade. Sony played it smart last year to not even have Pro at E3. They just talked about games. The big elephant in the room with Scorpio is that it won't have a lot of upcoming exclusive 1st party games. They should address that concern right from the start before talking about Scorpio.

Actually, that wasn't smart. Nothing they did with the Pro was smart. The Pro seems like a weird afterthought for Sony. I don't get half the decisions on it.

Chris1

They could open with the reveal and end with the launch date/price
This is what I think will happen. Leave price off, show games, get people to think it's gonna be $599.99 or something ridiculous

Then just as it's about to end

"Oh yeah we forgot one last thing, Project Scorpio will launch at $399.99"

Well you have cool expectations, all of that sounds great. :)

And you have an avatar from the greatest game series of all time, so clearly we share good taste. :)

Will be interesting to see if Phil's trip to Japan amounts to anything - the only notable Japanese release on Xbone in the near future is Valkyria Revolution, and that's an additional port for the West. More surprise ports like that would be cool, as would localised Xbone versions for the upcoming 5pb VNs announced for the platform.

That selling used games rumor is probably false...Someone pointed out he probably saw where it says "See all your digital purchases" and he thought it said "Sell all your digital purchases" when he clicked it, it obviously took him to his digital purchases..

Show will probably start with full Scorpio trailer featuring people breathing heavy with goosebumps, dilated pupils etc. Leading to the reveal of the console sitting next to a 4K HDR/Dolby set up.

I think Scorpio will bookend the show for sure.

Scorpio will be the entire show IMO. This is their updated Xbox One going forward. They will support legacy hardware and keep and Xbox One S sku out there but considering all games are supposed to function on the Scorpio I think we will see everything running on it. Why show software running on inferior hardware?

Actually, that wasn't smart. Nothing they did with the Pro was smart. The Pro seems like a weird afterthought for Sony. I don't get half the decisions on it.

It was smart. Because Sony doesn't need Pro to be a big success or cut away from PS4 sales. That system, without much in the way of good advertising, is still trucking along and will be a successful mid gen refresh.

x-Lundz-x

The show will open with a big reveal possibly crackdown 3 and then they will come out and go balls to the wall about Scorpio for 15-20 mins and then show game after game. That's my prediction.

AmyS

Aye worked for Sony with the PS4 months before e3 right? Thought so

Not the same.

Sony announced PS4 February 2013, and it released November the same year, just 9 months later.

Microsoft announced Scorpio at E3 2016, now a year later they doing the reveal, and officially its meant to launch later this year. There's going to be nearly double the amount of time between announcement and release between what Sony did with PS4 and what Microsoft is doing with Scorpio, assuming a Fall 2017 release.

9 months vs 17 or 18 months.

jdmonmou

Scorpio will be the entire show IMO. This is their updated Xbox One going forward. They will support legacy hardware and keep and Xbox One S sku out there but considering all games are supposed to function on the Scorpio I think we will see everything running on it. Why show software running on inferior hardware?

I just think if Scorpio is the entire show that would be a mistake. If you already have an Xbox One OG/Xbox One S/Windows 10 PC there's nothing new for you with the Scorpio. Microsoft will only be talking to a small number of enthusiasts. The main story they need to convey is that if you are within they're ecosystem of hardware then there will be some great content available soon that you won't find anywhere else. That's why games should be the focus of the show and not Scorpio. But I think you're right in that the entire show will be about Scorpio for better or worse.

It was smart. Because Sony doesn't need Pro to be a big success or cut away from PS4 sales. That system, without much in the way of good advertising, is still trucking along and will be a successful mid gen refresh.
Sounds more like an excuse rather than a legitmate strategy to promote new hardware. Perhaps the Pro would be selling even greater numbers if Sony had done better advertising for it. We will never know though.

Starfield

Return of The King.

60218-254075-PREDICTIONSDONpng-620x.jpg

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

I think it worked like this:

Press guy (P) to Sony exec (S): "Have you heard the rumours about Microsoft? Building a new Xbox because PS4 is so strong?"
S: "Whaaaaaat. We gotta do something, can't let them steal our technology lead."
P: "Yes, it might be out as soon as 2016."
S: "AMD, what can you give me for holiday 2016? I want it. Double the performance, you say? Good. Goooooooood."
Early 2016, Phil Spencer talks to the press.
PS: "We believe we will see more hardware innovation in the console space than we’ve ever seen. We’ll see us come out with new hardware capability during a generation and allow the same games to run backwards and forward compatible because we have UWAs running on top of UWP. It allows us to focus on hardware innovation without invalidating the games that run on that platform."
S: "Fuuuu... it's really happening. We have to get this out now. We can't let them be stronger."
And so a Pro is released. A year too early, barely an upgrade over PS4 and with incoherent messaging and little guidelines for developers.

Having upgraded myself to a Pro from a regular PS4 three months ago I must say that this is the most redundant console I have ever had. Aside from The Last Guardian it had no impact on my games that I would've noticed.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
On that note, I wonder if there's any chance for Blinx to come back.

blinxxtqg9.png

The idea of time control was interesting. In the right setting it could work well. As a platforming title with a distinct visual I think it could excel.

karma2578

I just think if Scorpio is the entire show that would be a mistake. If you already have an Xbox One OG/Xbox One S/Windows 10 PC there's nothing new for you with the Scorpio. Microsoft will only be talking to a small number of enthusiasts. The main story they need to convey is that if you are within they're ecosystem of hardware then there will be some great content available soon that you won't find anywhere else. That's why games should be the focus of the show and not Scorpio. But I think you're right in that the entire show will be about Scorpio for better or worse.

all games shown will run on xbox one but you can bet all footage will be scorpio

Trup1aya

Even if they did, how would it work? I can't see any third party getting on board with this because there is no value in it for them. Sell your COD, get 20 % in store credit paid for by Activision and Microsoft, buy Battlefield from EA with the money? Or sell your "used" license to somebody else? Why would anybody be interested in that, the whole point of digital distribution is to get rid of used copies. We will get the refunds that are already there for preview members but that's it.

Firstly, the whole point of digital isn't just to cut out used copies. It increases margins by cutting out the middle man and simplifying distribution. Cutting out used copies is an added benefit.

One way i could see this working is if MS determined used an algorithm than calculated a titles demand (how often its being bought and how often its being resold). they'd use this value to award a refund up to %50 of the titles msrp. But rather than credit - it would be a new form of currency - I'll just call it 'chips'.

To insulate publishers from the cost of this program, MS would put a limit on the amount of chips that can be used on a new purchase. A 30%MSRP cap would mean only MS is taking a hit. A cap of anything less than 30% would mean MS still gets a share, the publisher gets the same cut they are used to, and the user still got to put their old unused digital games to good use.

Rösti;240034869 said:
On that note, I wonder if there's any chance for Blinx to come back.

blinxxtqg9.png

The idea of time control was interesting. In the right setting it could work well. As a platforming title with a distinct visual I think it could excel.

I think at one point Phil Spencer mentioned that he hates Blinx, so I doubt it, sadly.

OG Xbox BC is the most we'll get in regards to Blinx on Xbone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom