• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox E3 Conference 6/11 2pm PST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, that wasn't smart. Nothing they did with the Pro was smart. The Pro seems like a weird afterthought for Sony. I don't get half the decisions on it.

For me, specially after Phil comments on having basically a trap card for 2016, makes it blatantly clear that Pro was a reaction to a hypothetical 2016 Scorpio to not concede the power race. They rushed with it even though they as a development platform weren't ready to support iterative updates and by they time they learned Scorpio was actually 2017 and more powerful it was already too late.

It was a stark contrast on how Ms handled it, and I just don't mean recently. Even during 360 lifetime developers complained that they didn't have low level assembly to the level they had on ps3, that the most low they could go was still within the bounds of the apis. That's what made BC possible today. And Ms plans to move towards an iterative model with the games just working was also leaked fairly constantly during the 360 era. All signs pointing that the only reason it didn't happened sooner was because they decided to built that in a unified platform that also encompasses windows, instead of branching to a Xbox only solution. Or also moving the Game Os to a virtualized environment so they could change the underlying hardware completely without breaking anything, something that was even touted in the leaked 2010 design document (which xbone followed to the book, except for having 360 compatibility through hardware, and a arm core for handling system tasks)

While at Sony all we hear is some executive saying that since Ps4 is x86 they could make a super charged Ps4 like 6 months before it leaked, and ironically the system didn't even used the touted x86 advantage it implied which is everything just runs better even if the hardware is drastically different.

Scorpio will be the entire show IMO. This is their updated Xbox One going forward. They will support legacy hardware and keep and Xbox One S sku out there but considering all games are supposed to function on the Scorpio I think we will see everything running on it. Why show software running on inferior hardware?
I mean having hardware stuff bookend the show. All footage will be on Scorpio, no doubt

jeffram

I think Microsoft is going to kill it with NEW game announcements. Sony has enough put-up or shut-up games and obligatory 3rd party blocks that they may not have much time for New announcements. Microsoft in the opposite situation and their hungry AF, so expecting them to round up a bunch of unknown quantities.

Hyped for today's show.

Syrus

Banned
60218-254075-PREDICTIONSDONpng-620x.jpg

Stahp.

Lets bury Mattrick please

jdmonmou

I think it worked like this:

Press guy (P) to Sony exec (S): "Have you heard the rumours about Microsoft? Building a new Xbox because PS4 is so strong?"
S: "Whaaaaaat. We gotta do something, can't let them steal our technology lead."
P: "Yes, it might be out as soon as 2016."
S: "AMD, what can you give me for holiday 2016? I want it. Double the performance, you say? Good. Goooooooood."
Early 2016, Phil Spencer talks to the press.
PS: "We believe we will see more hardware innovation in the console space than we’ve ever seen. We’ll see us come out with new hardware capability during a generation and allow the same games to run backwards and forward compatible because we have UWAs running on top of UWP. It allows us to focus on hardware innovation without invalidating the games that run on that platform."
S: "Fuuuu... it's really happening. We have to get this out now. We can't let them be stronger."
And so a Pro is released. A year too early, barely an upgrade over PS4 and with incoherent messaging and little guidelines for developers.

Having upgraded myself to a Pro from a regular PS4 three months ago I must say that this is the most redundant console I have ever had. Aside from The Last Guardian it had no impact on my games that I would've noticed.

I'm not a fan of the Pro either because I think that iterative consoles are unnecessary. But at least Sony didn't bank everything on the Pro like MS seems to be doing with Scorpio. The way Scorpio is being unveiled feels like the build up to a next gen console - not an iterative upgrade (e.g. the announcement at the end of last year's E3, the frequent tweets about it, etc.). Sony announced the Pro and released the same year. MS has been building up the Scorpio for more than a year. All this hype feels unnecessary for a console that's just an iterative upgrade.

Sounds more like an excuse rather than a legitmate strategy to promote new hardware. Perhaps the Pro would be selling even greater numbers if Sony had done better advertising for it. We will never know though.

An excuse that they didn't want to cut into PS4 sales too much? Sony has never really promoted the Pro in the same way MS has Scorpio. They just don't seem to want to because they are not in the same position as MS. Your right, we don't know if it would've sold more much like we don't know if there would've been an impact on PS4 sales.

End of the day, the Pro is selling fine by virtue of being associated with PS4 and will outdo Scorpio. Scorpio is getting a big push because it allows MS to redefine themselves, something Sony didn't need to do.

Edit: Lmao at the Pro being a rushed reaction to Scorpio post. What planet are you on.

DJwest

I think Microsoft is going to kill it with NEW game announcements. Sony has enough put-up or shut-up games and obligatory 3rd party blocks that they may not have much time for New announcements. Microsoft in the opposite situation and their hungry AF, so expecting them to round up a bunch of unknown quantities.

Hyped for today's show.
I sure hope so. This year has been lackluster to say the least for the X1. And they'll need great software to sell the Scorpio. Specs alone won't cut it.

Not the same.

Sony announced PS4 February 2013, and it released November the same year, just 9 months later.

Microsoft announced Scorpio at E3 2016, now a year later they doing the reveal, and officially its meant to launch later this year. There's going to be nearly double the amount of time between announcement and release between what Sony did with PS4 and what Microsoft is doing with Scorpio, assuming a Fall 2017 release.

9 months vs 17 or 18 months.

It doesn't matter what was the time length. My statement still stands that they announced PS4 in that Feb without a visual console and price until that e3

I'm not a fan of the Pro either because I think that iterative consoles are unnecessary. But at least Sony didn't bank everything on the Pro like MS seems to be doing with Scorpio. The way Scorpio is being unveiled feels like the build up to a next gen console - not an iterative upgrade (e.g. the announcement at the end of last year's E3, the frequent tweets about it, etc.). Sony announced the Pro and released the same year. MS has been building up the Scorpio for more than a year. All this hype feels unnecessary for a console that's just an iterative upgrade.

I disagree, as I think every Xbox from this point forth will be an interative upgrade. It makes sense to me why Microsoft would treat a launch like this.

Oh god all the Pro hate. If the Pro doesn't impress you then I doubt Scoprio will. What about Scorpio impresses you more? That it'll be true 4k?

gamz

Nah. It's a console (apparently) done right. I'm not sure how you can argue about them taking their time to get everything just right. The hype might feel unnecessary to you, but it's massive hype regardless and kudos for MS for taking their time with it.

Hype is good for the brand.

Ms is making a bigger deal with Scorpio and treating it like a new console launch (hype wise), because they have to. This is the console that says: Ok guys, Xbone was indeed a mistake we promise to never make this again. Here's the new console that's actually 360 -2, the most powerful console we could built today.

I think it worked like this:

Press guy (P) to Sony exec (S): "Have you heard the rumours about Microsoft? Building a new Xbox because PS4 is so strong?"
S: "Whaaaaaat. We gotta do something, can't let them steal our technology lead."
P: "Yes, it might be out as soon as 2016."
S: "AMD, what can you give me for holiday 2016? I want it. Double the performance, you say? Good. Goooooooood."
Early 2016, Phil Spencer talks to the press.
PS: "We believe we will see more hardware innovation in the console space than we’ve ever seen. We’ll see us come out with new hardware capability during a generation and allow the same games to run backwards and forward compatible because we have UWAs running on top of UWP. It allows us to focus on hardware innovation without invalidating the games that run on that platform."
S: "Fuuuu... it's really happening. We have to get this out now. We can't let them be stronger."
And so a Pro is released. A year too early, barely an upgrade over PS4 and with incoherent messaging and little guidelines for developers.

Having upgraded myself to a Pro from a regular PS4 three months ago I must say that this is the most redundant console I have ever had. Aside from The Last Guardian it had no impact on my games that I would've noticed.
lol

MaulerX

I just think if Scorpio is the entire show that would be a mistake. If you already have an Xbox One OG/Xbox One S/Windows 10 PC there's nothing new for you with the Scorpio. Microsoft will only be talking to a small number of enthusiasts. The main story they need to convey is that if you are within they're ecosystem of hardware then there will be some great content available soon that you won't find anywhere else. That's why games should be the focus of the show and not Scorpio. But I think you're right in that the entire show will be about Scorpio for better or worse.

How games look on Scorpio will be the big draw. Make no mistake.

you're falling for marketing, only can blame yourself

Thread is going pretty good, can we keep the console war shit bs out please? This isn't about the Pro.

Anyway, hoping they go for 399.99 but really having doubts now. I wonder if pre-orders will go live today?

Leyasu

Banned
Get the fucking sony/pro talk out of here please.

No mentions of Kings or who dropped the ball. Too many lurkers just waiting to pounce.

wapplew

For me, specially after Phil comments on having basically a trap card for 2016, makes it blatantly clear that Pro was a reaction to a hypothetical 2016 Scorpio to not concede the power race. They rushed with it even though they as a development platform weren't ready to support iterative updates and by they time they learned Scorpio was actually 2017 and more powerful it was already too late.

It was a stark contrast on how Ms handled it, and I just don't mean recently. Even during 360 lifetime developers complained that they didn't have low level assembly to the level they had on ps3, that the most low they could go was still within the bounds of the apis. That's what made BC possible today. And Ms plans to move towards an iterative model with the games just working was also leaked fairly constantly during the 360 era. All signs pointing that the only reason it didn't happened sooner was because they decided to built that in a unified platform that also encompasses windows, instead of branching to a Xbox only solution. Or also moving the Game Os to a virtualized environment so they could change the underlying hardware completely without breaking anything, something that was even touted in the leaked 2010 design document (which xbone followed to the book, except for having 360 compatibility through hardware, and a arm core for handling system tasks)

While at Sony all we hear is some executive saying that since Ps4 is x86 they could make a super charged Ps4 like 6 months before it leaked, and ironically the system didn't even used the touted x86 advantage it implied which is everything just runs better even if the hardware is drastically different.

Can't believe how smart Spencer is. Playing Sony like a damn fiddle.
This might be the best move in console gaming history ever. Maybe top that FF7 betrayal.

Oh god all the Pro hate. If the Pro doesn't impress you then I doubt Scoprio will. What about Scorpio impresses you more? That it'll be true 4k?

I feel so bad for you if you think 4k is the only reason Scorpio obliterates the Pro.

And yeesh, that post history.

Anyways, I can't wait to see what the name will be!

GHG

Gold Member
*Comes in to see if there have been any leaks*

*Sees PS4 Pro nonsense*

*Exits thread*

I'll come back when there is actually something to talk about...

Marvel

could never
I have been driving my family nuts for months talking about Scorpio, nice to finally be here today with the reveal via gameplay, design and hopefully price.

I feel like all messaging coming from Microsoft and by proxy is that this will have a premium price, which would lead people to think $499. With it's comparisons to a 1070 that seems like a fair price. But I feel like MS wants us to think it will be more expensive than it is so they can make a big splash when they announce it at $399 - which I think is the right price if they want this thing to have a good chance of selling well.

panda-zebra

Do you think they will show comparisons between Xbox S and Scorpio or would that hurt xbox S sales

At this stage, is that really possible? Everyone is already waiting on what Scorpio brings. YTD, NPD shows xb1 sales have slowed, and that's understandable. Showing how much better Xbox One games are on Scorpio is practically guaranteed, it's the best way to demonstrate the benefits of the new machine.

Part of me feels like they are going to go full console war and do side by side with the PS4 Pro.

oh please... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom