• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox E3 Conference 6/11 2pm PST

Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is:

2018: Gears 2 Ultimate
2019: Gears of War V

Coalition is still a relatively new studio in terms of being a "franchise manager".
I kinda don't expect them to rush into a spin-off with a new/different storyline so soon.
That sound very posible and boring. It fits into lately MS' publishing decisions. I hope it isn't the cae.

I think the whole idea behind The Coalition was to be a franchise manager. Surely 343 could share some expertise in the matter to lever their leack of experience. At least we know they are overseeing the Gears movie.

blakep267

I don't really want a full blown gears RPG. I think it should just be more along the lines of. Rise of the tomb raider. Open world hubs with crafting mechanics. The guns and armor have stats, but you aren't adding numbers to your characters abilities etc

Decisive got disbanded.

We also aren't getting H3A, that has to be shot down before it picks up any steam.

tenor.gif

T.O.P

Banned
Only things that i care about

-Cuphead release date
-Forza 7 reveal
-New IPs

Scalebound still hurts so they better make up for it, hard

I don't really want a full blown gears RPG. I think it should just be more along the lines of. Rise of the tomb raider. Open world hubs with crafting mechanics. The guns and armor have stats, but you aren't adding numbers to your characters abilities etc
A metroidvania Gears sounds interesting and more feasible to develop witthing 3 years.

I doubt it seen as they are positioning it as Microsoft's Pirate's Destiny-like.

I really don't think that's what they are trying to position it as. It doesn't seem to have any of the big draws that Destiny has other than coop RPG-lite mechanics. I don't see the comparison personally.

Linkified

I really don't think that's what they are trying to position it as. It doesn't seem to have any of the big draws that Destiny has other than coop RPG-lite mechanics. I don't see the comparison personally.

Destiny is essentially an Open World instanced loot game that is what Sea of Thieves. If MS make Sea of Thieves F2P they have performed a Fable Legends and set it up to be cancelled.

speedomodel

The problem is now MS wants to own IPs that they put franchise resources to, and both the games you cited belong to the developer, not MS.
Well, that is another thing they need to get over haha.
They don't own either of those IPs (Sunset or Ryse), so it's probably not likely (they tried to purchase the Ryse IP and fund a sequel, but Crytek said no).

Something like a Recore sequel at some point is probably more likely.

Sigh, one can dream. Still haven't played Recore.

Doffen

Sea of Thieves is not going to be a free-to-play game. From Gregg Mayles:

""One thing I can tell you is it's not free-to-play. We didn't say anything last year and then some people made stuff up, y'know, 'it looks free-to-play!' But we can clear that up - we will not be free-to-play."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-16-sea-of-thieves-is-not-free-to-play-rare-confirms

That actually have me worried. This game is dependent on a healthy player base and constant revenue. It's not a story driven game, it's another service title.

Bsigg12

I could see a free to start kind of model for Sea of Thieves to get people to download and check it out. The more exposure the better.

Trup1aya

That actually have me worried. This game is dependent on a healthy player base and constant revenue. It's not a story driven game, it's another service title.

"Service" titles have done well without being F2P- Destiny being the most obvious example. The health of its player base will be determined by how the quality of the experience is received.

blakep267

WHEn it comes to SoT, there have been those types of games on the Xbox that have done well. It's not going to be the most played game, but it can do well enough. Ark was an unfinished mess that didn't have a ton of content but it sells like crazy at the same time Destiny and COD were out

Dabanton

The only big titel they miss is Destiny
Red Dead Redemption is delayed to 2018
CoD and Star Wars will be November
AC could likely release in time with the console in October

it's bad they can't take advantage of the Destiny 2 launch, but it's not like they miss every game.

I was hoping for mid or late September but this does make more sense.

Tbh the best news for MS is RDR2 getting delayed that gives that game much more build up and we'll get to hear more about the Scorpio version in the lead up.

Dynomutt

We wont know til E3 ;)

That fact that the definitive title people are waiting for is made by a third party is kinda of disconcerting. I expect or expected MS to have a true internal title to show off.

I mean if the only shots of RDR2 on Scorpio we get are from media like DF that's cool but it's all moot with out advertising deals or something to truly display a relationship between RDR2 and Scorpio.

I don't know I am expecting a banger from MS this E3.

Disappointing list. Mixed Reality will probably be a big focus is the impression I'm getting. No leaks is not a good thing from MS. Although KI3, Ryse and a few others were complete surprises.

There have been many more games that had not been leaked beforehand. I think Sunset Overdrive back in 2013 is one, Recore? And of course the BC announcement. Why would Mixed Reality get a big focus though? It wasn't too long ago that the boss of Xbox himself said he wasn't too keen on VR, but I guess mixed reality makes all the difference? Nah, doubt that. I'm sure they will have some stuff but not the biggest focus.

My guess is:

2018: Gears 2 Ultimate
2019: Gears of War V

Coalition is still a relatively new studio in terms of being a "franchise manager".
I kinda don't expect them to rush into a spin-off with a new/different storyline so soon.

The problem is now MS wants to own IPs that they put franchise resources to, and both the games you cited belong to the developer, not MS.

But for SO they were OK with Insomniac keeping the IP. Imagine how a Ryse 2 could look on Scorpio with all the necessary improvements over the first one. Yeah never gonna happen. :(

By the way as for Playground Games game, I read this on UnionVGF/Team Xbox :

"We're laying the foundations for a project based on a spectacular IP, and will be looking to grow a world-class team."

Wasn't aware it was an existing IP. And the one who came with that rumor about MS passing on it apparently was SneakersSSO and not too reliable either judging by his past claims.

Doffen

WHEn it comes to SoT, there have been those types of games on the Xbox that have done well. It's not going to be the most played game, but it can do well enough. Ark was an unfinished mess that didn't have a ton of content but it sells like crazy at the same time Destiny and COD were out

Sea of Thieves needs to do great to not get killed by Microsoft. Fable did well, where are they now? Also Ark is a mutliplatform title with big success on Steam and PS4.

We wont know til E3 ;)

We know.

Trup1aya

So does Sea of Thieves have the marketing power of Destiny?

No, It doesn't need it....

Unless you are arguing that a game needs to have Destiny's marketing power in order to have a population that is considered "healthy"- which I don't believe is the case.

Being a well received game with long legs a strong word of mouth has sufficed in the past.

Marketing helps people get in the door at launch, but they stay for the experience.

Another option could be a Gears RPG. With 4, the gears world has developed further, now it even has factions, so a RPG could help to present that extended world.
Obsidian was hiring for an: "Unannounced 3rd Action RPG (next-gen console)", so that could be.
I suppose to lever up Obsidian's jankiness, Coalition should handle the shooting aspect

I would want this idea to be true. I was getting the itch for gears 4 to be open world and let you explore while playing the campaign.

Microsoft needs to do a better job marrying their executive leadership with creative types to green light more creative games. I like their IP but I'd much rather see something new and cool. Have Turn10 create a mario kart battler. Have Coalition try a story driven 3rd person action game. Leave 343 on Halo cause I need my fix. How many Forzas do you need a generation? You can just release DLC.

I'd really love it if this was the year that Microsoft went broader than the guns and cars and brought a wide range of unique IP to the table.

Bring me more like Viva Piñata and Blue Dragon.

RPGamer92

Banned
I'd really love it if this was the year that Microsoft went broader than the guns and cars and brought a wide range of unique IP to the table.

Bring me more like Viva Piñata and Blue Dragon.
Crimson Skies plz. Even just a remaster would be great. Also my dream would be a Lost Odyssey 2.

Yep and it could easily work as a GaaS title as well. Have online dogfights and a story mode as well.

It's definitely very very unfortunate that MS is where they are at right now when it comes to first party. Reading that DF article on how the team absolutely nailed that Scorpio sounded great, like they really want to make a comeback so to speak. Realizing what they did wrong with Xbox One at the start and now correcting it.

They got that part covered, but it would have been so awesome if we knew they had been busy at work establishing new studios and trying out new IP. It remains to be seen what kind of games we can be expecting in the future on Xbox but I would have loved to see the Spencer really going after SP only games as well, fund new projects and drastically improve Xbox in terms of new games. Not expecting multiple Naughty Dogs to be built or anything, but at least something.

If that had been the case people wouldn't really have to keep their expectations in check, because they could expect plenty of new things. Now what we expect is reveals of games that we have known for quite a while about now. Ah well, it should be a good show nonetheless. But I get why people are skeptical.

willbsn13

If Forza 7 does end up being the only announcement, it'll be very interesting to see the feedback to that. I don't think even hardcore xbox fans will be too happy.

Trup1aya

Yep and it could easily work as a GaaS title as well. Have online dogfights and a story mode as well.

It's definitely very very unfortunate that MS is where they are at right now when it comes to first party. Reading that DF article on how the team absolutely nailed that Scorpio sounded great, like they really want to make a comeback so to speak. Realizing what they did wrong with Xbox One at the start and now correcting it.

They got that part covered, but it would have been so awesome if we knew they had been busy at work establishing new studios and trying out new IP. It remains to be seen what kind of games we can be expecting in the future on Xbox but I would have loved to see the Spencer really going after SP only games as well, fund new projects and drastically improve Xbox in terms of new games. Not expecting multiple Naughty Dogs to be built or anything, but at least something.

If that had been the case people wouldn't really have to keep their expectations in check, because they could expect plenty of new things. Now what we expect is reveals of games that we have known for quite a while about now. Ah well, it should be a good show nonetheless. But I get why people are skeptical.

Man, I just wish they'd have the balls to revive more of their old IPs. They are sitting on a gold mine- but lately have been more interested in following trends than bringing unique titles to market.

We'll see...

Ushay

The only thing I am looking forward to is a WRPG on a large scale (new IP or existing), especially with the loss of Scalebound :( ..

Man, I just wish they'd have the balls to revive more of their old IPs. They are sitting on a gold mine- but lately have been more interested in following trends than bringing unique titles to market.

We'll see...

Yeah man! As my above post says, would love an RPG like Lost Odyssey, Fable or Blue Dragon. They have SO much to work with.

I am very curious to see what 3rd party games Microsoft will show at their conference. With Playstation seemingly having marketing for almost all known 3rd party games this fall I am starting to wonder just what they will be allowed to show on stage.

I also am curious if they lost all these marketing deals simply because PS4 is doing better, or if it is because they are shifting resources away from marketing partnerships to make more 1st party games.

Anyways, I honestly just want a Below release date, some shiny Scorpio graphics, and some new IP. With Halo 6 not coming this year I am really intrigued to know what the closer could possibly be....

I am very curious to see what 3rd party games Microsoft will show at their conference. With Playstation seemingly having marketing for almost all known 3rd party games this fall I am starting to wonder just what they will be allowed to show on stage.

I also am curious if they lost all these marketing deals simply because PS4 is doing better, or if it is because they are shifting resources away from marketing partnerships to make more 1st party games.

Anyways, I honestly just want a Below release date, some shiny Scorpio graphics, and some new IP. With Halo 6 not coming this year I am really intrigued to know what the closer could possibly be....
Assassin's Creed, Shadow of War and another game.

They can simultaneously get marketing deals and invest in first party. So, yeah.

blakep267

Assassin's Creed, Shadow of War and another game.

They can simultaneously get marketing deals and invest in first party. So, yeah.
Pretty much. Also lets not act is if they haven't had deals with fallout 4, division wit her battlefield 1etc. this year they'll probably have as you said, shadow of war, assassins creed and maybe a random game like last year. They had tekken 7 and FFXV on stage

I did a questionnaire the other week for a company related to games testing and they asked a lot of questions about mech games and my thoughts/feelings on them.

MS bringing back Mechwarrior/Mech Assault would be sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom