• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox E3 Conference 6/11 2pm PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doffen

Don't worry when Norway becomes a real country we will hold a party for you, even the cake will be in tiers.
/s

DmBhH7J.gif

Keinning

He is talking about quality. Wich has been on point.

I'd argue that plastering your product all over the biggest football match of the year and having it on camera for most of the match is pretty darn quality advertising for it but i get what you mean, just don't entirely agree with it. Too few people got exposed to the halo ads no matter how well made they were, which doesn't qualifies them as 'good' in our market. I really hope Microsoft take the scorpion (no pun intend) out of their pocket (is "having a scorpion in the pocket" even a slang for being cheap outside latin america? no idea) to promote Scorpio when it releases.

Theorry

I'd argue that plastering your product all over the biggest football match of the year and having it on camera for most of the match is pretty darn quality advertising for it but i get what you mean, just don't entirely agree with it. Too few people got exposed to the halo ads no matter how well made they were, which doesn't qualifies them as 'good' in our market. I really hope Microsoft take the scorpion (no pun intend) out of their pocket (is "having a scorpion in the pocket" even a slang for being cheap outside latin america? no idea) to promote Scorpio when it releases.

Still. Doesnt change they were nicely made.

Azerth

Off topic but why would u have a scorpion in your pocket? Ive never heard that phrase before lol

I think it's quite obvious they will.

COD: Infinite Warfare runs at checkerboard 2160p on PS4 Pro and its resolution looks indistinguishable from many native 4K games I've seen—and as a result, that power is used effectively in other areas. Imagine what they could do with the 6TF in Scorpio?!

Agreed man and MS said they don't mandate anything for developers, so that's only good. With the extra power you'd think they can do a whole lot more. But it also remains to be seen how much extra work devs will put into it.

yurinka

I'm curious on how Sony will react to Scorpio's price. If it's $399 I think they'll cut the Pro's price. If it's $449 I'm not sure if they will.
I highly doubt Scorpio can affect Sony sales to a point they need to react, even if released at $299.

Obviously a good price (same, slightly higher or lower than Pro) would help, but they need (at least conole) exclusive content to justify the purchase of the console. Because now many players have a PS4 or have their friends playing there, and not have a 4K tv. So the changes for them in 1080p will be minimal compared to PS4 -the average gamer isn't Digital Foundry analyzing differences for multi games.

Considering Sony has like a 2 to 1 lead and that Pro have been like 20% of their sales, I highly doubt Scorpio will affect them, especially if we consider it would be more expensive than PS4 Pro.

Keinning

Off topic but why would u have a scorpion in your pocket? Ive never heard that phrase before lol

Guess the scorpion stings you every time you reach for your wallet so you just don't do it. I don't know either we just keep repeating that for ages

Still. Doesnt change they were nicely made.

They sure were. Which makes it even more wasteful that they weren't better advertised.

JaggedSac

Good news, just read the Verge article saying no VR mentions at E3 from MS. Bit selfish of me, but since they make me nauseous, I don't care about them.

Xiofire

I'm still pretty confident Scorpio will be called the Xbox One X.

It fits with the current branding with the Xbox One S, keeps it in the same product "family" by not distancing itself from the Xbox One brand, and best of all...

What's the abbreviation?

That's right...

X Box One X

XBOX.

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Wagram

I'm still pretty confident Scorpio will be called the Xbox One X.

It fits with the current branding with the Xbox One S, keeps it in the same product "family" by not distancing itself from the Xbox One brand, and best of all...

What's the abbreviation?

That's right...

X Box One X

XBOX.

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Let's be honest, it'll probably be called XboneX.

Xiofire

Let's be honest, it'll probably be called XboneX.

Nah it will be the Xbox Xobx

The only console to keep its name even when seeing it on a mirror

#feelthepower

guys pls

I want to believe :c

Also, can anyone raise the brightness on the Feel The Power tease and check if the Xbone controller has been revised with a USB C?

Just feels like something MS would do and I don't have Photoshop at my disposal rn.

Kei-

Don't they usually have a pre-e3 sale? Hoping to pick up Forza Horizon 3. If not, I'm sure it will be on sale during E3 week.

b.gif

Unless the Scorpio is more powerful than it seems, I think it's a bit short sited to keep trumpeting terms like "True 4K" and putting 4K on their chipset.

I'd be surprised if any of the big 3rd party games this year are "true 4K" on scorpio unless it's in very limited dynamic resolution cases.

They are setting up a difficult measuring stick for themselves.

I don't really care all that much about this resolution stuff honestly. As long as the game looks and runs great that's all I really care about. That said, I'm of a different opinion on Scorpio's ability to successfully do many games at true 4K. I suspect it will certainly run plenty very big, technically impressive releases at 4K. And in some cases even be able to improve visuals further on top of that fact.

And the beauty of the whole thing is even with the 4K marketing it never truly has to hit that mark at all times because Microsoft has made it clear from the start that developers are free to use the available resources however they like. A developer, if they truly want to, with a system packing the kind of specs that scorpio has can certainly always hit the 4K mark. It's all about whether the sacrifices or lack there of made to get there will be worth it. I tend to lean towards giving Microsoft the benefit of the doubt that all that emulation work they did and profiling of existing games and engines was done about as well as it can possibly be done, and they really did strike the perfect balance to succeed with their primary goal: any game that will run at 900p or better on the original xbox one or xbox one s can will run at 4K on Scorpio with 4K assets. And in certain instances devs may also be able to boost the graphics even further with scorpio specific enhancements beyond just 4K assets.

Great catch.

I am more and more thinking it will be called Xbox Scorpio. Gets away from the specific Xbox One branding and keeps the buzzword that people have been calling it for months.

I've been predicting that Microsoft has been trying to stealth start a new generation. They didn't want the lead-up to be months of people comparing Scorpio to the Dreamcast, so they went with iterative, like it is just a Pro version. There is no crawling out of the hole Mattrick created.

Dropping One would be a pretty good indication that this would be their goal. Unlike Dreamcast, full compatibility, not just BC, with the XB1 means this can launch with a library of games while publishers consider when to start shipping Scorpio only content.

For this to be true, though, they need to hit $399 as a price point. The speculation of $349 would be even better. That would allow them to start selling a lot of consoles day one, and convert a large % of XB1 owners to the new console in numbers you might see at a new console launch. Because if they are starting a new gen, they need third party publishers to viewing Scorpio as a target, with ports for the XB1, PS4, and even PS4 Pro.

That won't happen in year one. They need to sell enough Scorpios to create that push. If they go $499 or more, I just don't see how they can hope to hit those numbers. That would mean that this truly is just a premium version, and they will sell mostly XB1 S's.

JlNX

Can't really agree with this. The ads are still too few and too localized, xbox has barely any media presence outside US. meanwhile the champions league final had ps4pro ads all over the field just to quote one big example.

Which is weird because we had X360 ads here in brazil all the goddamn time and not a single peep for xbox one since launch (save for a one time only LATAM sale they had)

Like Theory said I meant in terms of quality

xbox don't even have ads in the US, obviously the division is allocated less money after the 2013 debacle. they're trying to exercise in profit.
What? Yes they do.
As expected, marketing team is treating scorpio as a new console.. not just a mid gen refresh
Phil killed gens, RIP
There is still no beam/mixer app for windows 10 right ? Wonder why they didnt develop a uwp
Nope, the Mixer team has stated that the Xbox app is a UWP app, so I guess it's only a matter of time, but for now it's website only on desktop.

jeffram

I don't really care all that much about this resolution stuff honestly. As long as the game looks and runs great that's all I really care about. That said, I'm of a different opinion on Scorpio's ability to successfully do many games at true 4K. I suspect it will certainly run plenty very big, technically impressive releases at 4K. And in some cases even be able to improve visuals further on top of that fact.

And the beauty of the whole thing is even with the 4K marketing it never truly has to hit that mark at all times because Microsoft has made it clear from the start that developers are free to use the available resources however they like. A developer, if they truly want to, with a system packing the kind of specs that scorpio has can certainly always hit the 4K mark. It's all about whether the sacrifices or lack there of made to get there will be worth it. I tend to lean towards giving Microsoft the benefit of the doubt that all that emulation work they did and profiling of existing games and engines was done about as well as it can possibly be done, and they really did strike the perfect balance to succeed with their primary goal: any game that will run at 900p or better on the original xbox one or xbox one s can will run at 4K on Scorpio with 4K assets. And in certain instances devs may also be able to boost the graphics even further with scorpio specific enhancements beyond just 4K assets.
I think it's a waste of resources to go after native 4K, and digital foundry has shown checkerboard 4K or 1800p is hardly a sacrifice. I agree it's a messaging issue, but Microsoft seemingly can't stop equating Scorpio Power to "True 4K".

Unless they change course, they are setting themselves for a PR backlash. The headlines will be "Scorpio not as powerful as MS promised? [AAA Game] does NOT run in 4K on Scorpio" And instead of measuring the improvement, they will be measuring the misses of Native 4K, and every game that's not 4K will be a story in itself.

Microsoft should underpromise and overdeliver, not the other way around.

Did not realize the conference is this Sunday instead of the usual Monday. That means I get to watch it live after all. Excited to see the Scorpio.

LKSmash

I think it's a waste of resources to go after native 4K, and digital foundry has shown checkerboard 4K or 1800p is hardly a sacrifice. I agree it's a messaging issue, but Microsoft seemingly can't stop equating Scorpio Power to "True 4K".

Unless they change course, they are setting themselves for a PR backlash. The headlines will be "Scorpio not as powerful as MS promised? [AAA Game] does NOT run in 4K on Scorpio" And instead of measuring the improvement, they will be measuring the misses of Native 4K, and every game that's not 4K will be a story in itself.

They've only ever claimed their first party titles will be at 4K. They've said repeatedly that they can't force other developers to do the same. So unless Forza 7 or Sea of Thieves or Crackdown are missing the mark, there won't be an issue if say Battlefront 2 isn't native 4K.

Disagree. The console can absolutely do Xbox One games at 4K. That's what it's at its core made to accomplish. Xbox One titles that can run at 900p and above on the original xbox one being run at framerate at 4K on Scorpio with 4K assets. That's the primary goal of Scorpio.

That's before any kind of enhancement or additional improvement thanks to Scorpio's additional horsepower. I think this is easily accomplishable with the specs as litsed, and, no, every game absolutely does not need to be 4K on Scorpio or else it will be a PR backlash. I'm just not seeing this backlash people are speaking of unless there's a concerted effort to manufacture one over something Microsoft made clear wouldn't be for every game from the start. Developers are free to use the power however they wish. Microsoft isn't making a 4K mandate, to my knowledge, with anything other than some of their own major first party franchises. Everywhere else developers are free to do whatever they want. Microsoft being able have some of the year's biggest games at true 4K alone would achieve Microsoft's core promise.j

I hope this doesn't get a stage demo and is just out now or a date with quick trailer. we seen it enough

We haven't seen the newest platforming sections they've introduced though. I'm guessing they've added a lot of stuff given the delay. I for one, would very much like to see more.

Besides...
cuphead-5.gif

this stuff never gets old.

Kibbles

Unless the Scorpio is more powerful than it seems, I think it's a bit short sited to keep trumpeting terms like "True 4K" and putting 4K on their chipset.

I'd be surprised if any of the big 3rd party games this year are "true 4K" on scorpio unless it's in very limited dynamic resolution cases.

They are setting up a difficult measuring stick for themselves.
Jez Corden said Battlefront 2 is and Im sure the EA sports games are as well. If BF2 can be 60fps/4k don't see why not CoD too.

Space_nut

Disagree. The console can absolutely do Xbox One games at 4K. That's what it's at its core made to accomplish. Xbox One titles that can run at 900p and above on the original xbox one being run at framerate at 4K on Scorpio with 4K assets. That's the primary goal of Scorpio.

That's before any kind of enhancement or additional improvement thanks to Scorpio's additional horsepower. I think this is easily accomplishable with the specs as litsed, and, no, every game absolutely does not need to be 4K on Scorpio or else it will be a PR backlash. I'm just not seeing this backlash people are speaking of unless there's a concerted effort to manufacture one over something Microsoft made clear wouldn't be for every game from the start. Developers are free to use the power however they wish. Microsoft isn't making a 4K mandate, to my knowledge, with anything other than some of their own major first party franchises. Everywhere else developers are free to do whatever they want. Microsoft being able have some of the year's biggest games at true 4K alone would achieve Microsoft's core promise.j

I have a feeling all the big games coming this fall will be native 4k with improvements like 4k assets and such. 5 more days :)

Microsoft didn't just build a powerful machine, they also profiled thousands of game engines multiple times and built the chip to take care of the bottlenecks that existed before

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom