• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

Jin

Been using it for an hour and loved it. I can't find any reason to NOT use the hair trigger mode. What's the benefit of longer trigger pull? Just personal preference?

senahorse

Been using it for an hour and loved it. I can't find any reason to NOT use the hair trigger mode. What's the benefit of longer trigger pull? Just personal preference?

For things where you want a more gradual increase, e.g. accelerator in a driving game.

Sargon

I think if you were playing something like a driving game you would need the full trigger range, but for shooters I imagine hair trigger mode is almost always the way to go.

I found that using the Halo 4 control scheme in Halo 5 I can get every meaningful button on just two paddles. Map jump and crouch to them and you're golden.

There's no need to map reload and switch weapon.

This controller is simply amazing. Best gaming peripheral ever. The poster above is right - everything else feels like a cheap toy now.

Well I got mine and it's fucking fantastic. It's got one huge con though...the rubber they used for the matte finish. I don't know if it's the same compound or anything but it feels exactly like the logitech mx518 mouse. If the rubber broke down and started peeling on your mx518 like mine did, you would know what a con this is.

I dunno, I hope I'm wrong and maybe this will last forever. Anyways, that shouldn't happen for a while,but I just thought I would mention it lol

Now to experiment on some paddle configs 🎮

I'm staring at this thing and I honestly can't tell any difference whatsoever. Nevermind, I'm an idiot. I was thinking it was modifying the paddles, not the triggers. Whoops!

anigif_enhanced-buzz-18535-1432289931-10.gif

lol Happens to the best of us mate. :D

Justinh

Well I got mine and it's fucking fantastic. It's got one huge con though...the rubber they used for the matte finish. I don't know if it's the same compound or anything but it feels exactly like the logitech mx518 mouse. If the rubber broke down and started peeling on your mx518 like mine did, you would know what a con this is.

I dunno, I hope I'm wrong and maybe this will last forever. Anyways, that shouldn't happen for a while,but I just thought I would mention it lol

Now to experiment on some paddle configs ��

I had the same concerns since my old nostromo n52te had a rubbery touch layer on top and it just naturally peeled off, even when sitting in a box. The coating on this, though, feels a lot harder so I'm hoping it'll last longer.

Chorazin

Love the hell out of these sticks! They're so smooth and responsive. Cranked the aim sensitivity in Halo 5 up to 8 and it's so smooth. Might even try going higher!

arhra

You can also rename your controller to whatever you want anytime you wish.

That option doesn't seem to exist on the retail dash (and after hooking mine up to my surface and using the app there to name it, that name doesn't show in the xbox app - it still just says "arhra's ELITE". I'm guessing the app was primarily built as a win10 universal app (so they have one codebase for both xbox and windows), and the version you get on the retail dash is a bare-bones downport to bridge the gap until the NXOE goes live and the real app is available to everyone.

Which sticks are you guys using? I was thinking about using the tall stick for my right analog stick.

Tall on the right is working out pretty well for me after spending a few hours in Warzone adjusting (I mean, I still suck, but it's starting to feel natural). The domed ones are almost perfect, height-wise, but they need a bit more of a texture to them. They're just a bit too slick as-is.

Now I just need to stop accidentally clicking the paddles when going for the triggers or bumpers when someone comes round a corner in front of me.

Falchion

Got my controller today and spent about 4 hours playing Halo with it. At first I was completely lost, especially with the paddles but I'm finally getting the hang of it. Sometimes I still accidentally press the bumper for boosting when I don't mean to just because of the way I'm gripping the controller but keeping my thumb on the right stick all the time is such a big advantage when I'm tracking targets.

Vestal

Gold Member
So a general question in regards to use.

How are you guys holding the controller?

Index on Bumper + Middle Finger on Trigger?
Index for both Trigger and Bumper?

I tried option one but god damn its hard to get used to. Always have been an index for both type guy, just curious what others are doing.

Mapping wise I went Top right A, Bottom Right B, Top Left X, Bottom left Y.(In halo 5 atm).

GECK

So hair triggers. Fastest pull is 0_1 in the configure?

Just can't use the right paddles atm since I'm trained to hit the right trigger with my middle finger. Accidental presses all over the place.

SpacLock

What do you Halo 5 Bumper Jumper players use for the paddles?

I use only two short paddles, both on the top.

Top left: dash
Top right: grenade

I experimented with having sprint and reload on the paddles, but it didn't make much sense. Sprinting is usually used when I'm trying to run away or chase someone down, so I can allow my thumb to leave the right stick in those situations. I also don't feel the need for my thumb to stay on the stick when I need to reload since I'm dead in the water during that short period regardless.

I also mapped jump to my left hair trigger too so I don't really need to move my fingers up top too much. It also forces me to use the paddle for grenade which has helped me relearn the game with this new controller.

This controller truly is the bees knees.

Vestal

Gold Member
So hair triggers. Fastest pull is 0_1 in the configure?

Just can't use the right paddles atm since I'm trained to hit the right trigger with my middle finger. Accidental presses all over the place.

Well in theory you could use your Pinky for bottom and Ring finger for top paddle.

SpacLock

I forgot to mention.

There is a terrible dead zone in the sticks for Halo 5. I thought it was the controller at first and it freaked me out, but no, it's Halo 5.

I switched my right analog to aggressive sensitivity and it pretty much eliminates the dead zone in Halo 5. Highly recommend it.

I had the same concerns since my old nostromo n52te had a rubbery touch layer on top and it just naturally peeled off, even when sitting in a box. The coating on this, though, feels a lot harder so I'm hoping it'll last longer.

I hope you're right. Anyways, these seem popular (and expensive) enough that if it does become an issue, microsoft would have to respond due to the uproar it would cause. At least I hope.

Madness

Quality wise you think they'll last? I think I'm going to buy the Elite controller when they're back in stock. The detachable magnet sticks had me a bit worried, plus how is the battery cover? My white sunset controller is definitely feeling the creakiness of long game play now.

RedRum

Banned
Should have paid more attention. I bought ene's and didn't need to. USB recharge pack from my old controller works fine.

Verdict: This controller is fucking amazing.

Chorazin

I use only two short paddles, both on the top.

Top left: dash
Top right: grenade

I experimented with having sprint and reload on the paddles, but it didn't make much sense. Sprinting is usually used when I'm trying to run away or chase someone down, so I can allow my thumb to leave the right stick in those situations. I also don't feel the need for my thumb to stay on the stick when I need to reload since I'm dead in the water during that short period regardless.

I also mapped jump to my left hair trigger too so I don't really need to move my fingers up top too much. It also forces me to use the paddle for grenade which has helped me relearn the game with this new controller.

This controller truly is the bees knees.

I put both reload and sprint on my paddles. Since Sprint stays on when you hit it, that's the top left paddle, and reload is top right. I want to keep tracking my target even when reloading.

This controller is worth it just for the rubbery gripped underside alone. Love that shit, just feels great on the hands. One of the best parts of the PS4 controller, so glad Xbox has it now too.

I'm a simple man who uses just one paddle - short upper right of course - for thrusting in Halo 5. It's awesome.

Chorazin

This thing seems to be sold out everywhere. Did Microsoft release a limited initial batch to test the market?

They didn't think this many people would buy it. IIRC one of the dudes behind the project said it'll only sell to super hardcore MLG dudes and "maybe a few people will grab it off the shelf."

Turns out, people will pay good money for high quality products!

Justinh

That option doesn't seem to exist on the retail dash (and after hooking mine up to my surface and using the app there to name it, that name doesn't show in the xbox app - it still just says "arhra's ELITE". I'm guessing the app was primarily built as a win10 universal app (so they have one codebase for both xbox and windows), and the version you get on the retail dash is a bare-bones downport to bridge the gap until the NXOE goes live and the real app is available to everyone.

Now I just need to stop accidentally clicking the paddles when going for the triggers or bumpers when someone comes round a corner in front of me.

Oh, my apologies then. I don't mean to misinform...

Yeah, the times I most accidentally activate the paddles is when I'm pulling the trigger. I guess I just squeeze my entire hand when I want to shoot.

Squeeze, don't pull...

RedRum

Banned
They didn't think this many people would buy it. IIRC one of the dudes behind the project said it'll only sell to super hardcore MLG dudes and "maybe a few people will grab it off the shelf."

No shit right?? This thing completely outdoes SCUF in my opinion in every way.

Justinh

Damn might have to pick this up. Impressions in this thread make me want to make the plunge.

Good luck man (I genuinely mean that, not in some snarky asshole-ish way).

I'm kinda upset I didn't get two, but not really.
I want to get one for a family friend for Christmas now, but I'm not going to give him this used one and I just found out recently he has an Xbox One now (I got him a PS4 at launch as an early Christmas present that year). Hopefully I'll be able to find him one in the next couple months.

I know this is especially true at least for me when it comes to things I'd be using all day like keyboards and mouses
no mice
, so hearing about this when they revealed it as a high quality, premium thing I'd have my hands on a lot really got my attention.

Edit: uh oh! QUICK! Edit out all those dirty jokes about Phil-do!

Xbox_Phil

Banned
This thing seems to be sold out everywhere. Did Microsoft release a limited initial batch to test the market?

We are definitely pleasantly surprised by the consumer response to this product. The controller was designed for a niche consumer base, for the hardcore and pro players. We did not expect the demand that this controller received. We do plan on increasing production of the product to meet consumer demand. On another note, I'm pleased to be reading the positive impressions from you guys. Really glad you guys are liking this controller!

We definitely pleasantly surprised by the consumer response to this product. The controller was designed for a niche consumer base, for the hardcore and pro players. We did not expect the demand that this controller received. We do plan on increasing production of the product to meet consumer demand. On another note, I'm pleased to be reading the positive impressions from you guys. Really glad you guys are liking this controller!

You did well. Keep up the good work.

nomis

We definitely pleasantly surprised by the consumer response to this product. The controller was designed for a niche consumer base, for the hardcore and pro players. We did not expect the demand that this controller received. We do plan on increasing production of the product to meet consumer demand. On another note, I'm pleased to be reading the positive impressions from you guys. Really glad you guys are liking this controller!

It's really a revelation, man. Every single time I pull the stick and let it go I'm impressed by the confidence and force it has returning to the upright position. This thing is like nothing else on the market.

Dominator

Picked it up on a whim, and its really a fantastic controller you guys cooked up. Well done!

malfcn

It is pretty amazing how much interest it got. The premium price has garnered alot of discussion, but ultimately hasn't been a barrier fire sales.

May be getting one this week.
Wonder how popular the custom faceted dish and paddle market will be next.

Vestal

Gold Member

Phil all I am going to say is "build it and they will come". When you guys put out products like this, the surface and now Surface book consumers will respond. I was fortunate enough to get a hands on today with the Surface book and it is one sleek piece of hardware, just like this controller is. I am hoping this is the beginning of a focus from the Xbox brand to bring to market accessories such as this, and that in future consoles this type of "pro" controller would be available at launch.

To you guys who are still learning to love/already learned to love the paddles, how do you guys handle naturally reaching for buttons?

I limited myself to just two paddles for now, Upper Left and Right. Upper Left is mapped to RB (Thrust) and Upper Right is mapped to A (jump). Trying to keep it simple, and I figured both of these would be to have.

I still naturally reach for the A-button to jump though, should I just allow myself too, or should I force myself to ONLY use the paddle by maybe disabling the A-button to not having any function at all?

RedRum

Banned
We are definitely pleasantly surprised by the consumer response to this product. The controller was designed for a niche consumer base, for the hardcore and pro players. We did not expect the demand that this controller received. We do plan on increasing production of the product to meet consumer demand. On another note, I'm pleased to be reading the positive impressions from you guys. Really glad you guys are liking this controller!

Great job you're doing Phil. Please keep up the good work by continuously moving the Xbox brand forward.

Vestal

Gold Member
To you guys who are still learning to love/already learned to love the paddles, how do you guys handle naturally reaching for buttons?

I limited myself to just two paddles for now, Upper Left and Right. Upper Left is mapped to RB (Thrust) and Upper Right is mapped to A (jump). Trying to keep it simple, and I figured both of these would be to have.

I still naturally reach for the A-button to jump though, should I just allow myself too, or should I force myself to ONLY use the paddle by maybe disabling the A-button to not having any function at all?

Well depends really. I still reach for(A) it every now and then, it simply muscle memory. I am guessing it will take a couple of days for my memory to adjust to this new configuration but in the end I think its worth it. I had a stretch of like 2min were everything just clicked so well that the difference the paddles brings became very noticeable hehe.

HUELEN10

You guys nailed it, used a friend's today. Just get Sonic Unleashed and Generations on BC, and I'm buying this.

Grazzt

Looking forward to getting my hands on it.
It sucks that we have to wait 10 extra days in Australia.

Top Bottom