• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Games Showcase Announced for June 11 before the Starfield Show

Hype check time!

• Phil won't let us down, he always delivers!

Votes: 18 13.2%
  • It won't be difficult to surpass the Sony shitshow in any case.

Votes: 65 47.8%
  • Phil my boy, this is your last chance of redemption.

Votes: 29 21.3%
  • It will suck, can't convince me otherwise.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • First-party stuff only or bust!

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wulfer

I love how the thread for the Xbox showcase has 10x fewer comments and more than 10x fewer views than the Playstation showcase thread despite the latter only being made a few days ago.

Not a whole lot of hype...
rio losing GIF
That's quite interesting given Sony's show is an hour long and MS's show is 2 hours long. Both have been holding back, lets see who surprises us the most? Also, MS has time to react to Sony's show for a last minute game change if that's needed at all...

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That's quite interesting given Sony's show is an hour long and MS's show is 2 hours long. Both have been holding back, lets see who surprises us the most? Also, MS has time to react to Sony's show for a last minute game change if that's needed at all...

To be fair, half the Xbox show is dedicated to Starfield.

That being said, if any game deserves a 1hr show, it's Starfield.

zomboden

Banned

I swear I saw somewhere it was 1.5 hours Xbox 30 minutes Starfield. Do you have a source for the runtimes?

Edit: I think my source was tom warrens tweet about him thinking it was 90/30. But I can't find a definitive source that says exact run times.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Microsoft shows about everything they can. They did the whole "next twelve months" thing last year because everything past 2023 was not ready to be shown. We know that a lot of their projects are having or have had development problems.

Wulfer

Microsoft shows about everything they can. They did the whole "next twelve months" thing last year because everything past 2023 was not ready to be shown. We know that a lot of their projects are having or have had development problems.
We don't know squat and we should wait until the show happens to see what happens!

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Not sure if I'm right, but didn't they build hype by releasing trailers of games they couldn't fit in the main show a few days early?

That would be pretty cool.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Annnnnnd my point exactly. People here literally beating the dead horse, talking shit about Xbox, making Xbox doom and gloom posts. Alienating anybody who supports Microsoft's goals and remains optimistic about the future.

I personally like Phil Spencer. On the record.

Sorry mate, but this is fucking stupid. I would say the same to anyone who is a "fan" of Nintendo, Playstation, PC, or Mobile. If you are so easily butthurt over valid criticism over a publisher (who, by the way, doesn't even know you exist and couldn't care less if you stopped buying their products), you have serious issues that need to be addressed.

Console Warriors on all sides are mentally challenged individuals, but here you just out and out say you are a warrior. Seek help, seriously.

ProtoByte

We don't know squat and we should wait until the show happens to see what happens!
We do.
The Initiative imploded, Undead Labs was reported to have issues keeping State of Decay 3 in pre-prod up until at least this time last year, Everwild was acknowledged by the devs to not have a coherent concept or dev plan, Redfall and Starfield got delayed out of 2022 by ten and eleven months each (and we know how the former turned out), and I think it's fairly clear that Fable has not been smooth production. They've euphemised exactly what's gone on, and that in itself as an admission.

Speaking from intuition of what we don't know for sure, I think it's fair to say that Hellblade 2 (announced in 2019, by the by) and Avowed either barely started past concept when they were announced, and/or are having their own problems. My personal opinion of the gameplay we saw of Hellblade back in 2021 was not good.

They've not even dared announce what Compulsion is working on 5 years after purchasing them, and their factually proven track record indicates that developmental issues are par for the course; see Halo Infinite.

Does that mean it will continue to be a disaster from here on out? No. But to pretend like "we don't know" or can't figure out anything is bizarre.

Last edited:

zomboden

Banned
Sorry mate, but this is fucking stupid. I would say the same to anyone who is a "fan" of Nintendo, Playstation, PC, or Mobile. If you are so easily butthurt over valid criticism over a publisher (who, by the way, doesn't even know you exist and couldn't care less if you stopped buying their products), you have serious issues that need to be addressed.

Console Warriors on all sides are mentally challenged individuals, but here you just out and out say you are a warrior. Seek help, seriously.
People have preferences. I've said before on this forum multiple times that I am a fan of Xbox and I am biased in that kind of way. I don't think Sony/PlayStation should fail, but I want Xbox to be at least competitive.

What's the difference between being a fan of a specific sports team, a clothing brand? People who only buy iPhones? People who only buy Androids/Samsung phones? People who swear by one MMORPG and think the others aren't good?

There's nothing wrong with being a fan of a product.

Topher

Gold Member
People have preferences. I've said before on this forum multiple times that I am a fan of Xbox and I am biased in that kind of way. I don't think Sony/PlayStation should fail, but I want Xbox to be at least competitive.

What's the difference between being a fan of a specific sports team, a clothing brand? People who only buy iPhones? People who only buy Androids/Samsung phones? People who swear by one MMORPG and think the others aren't good?

The purpose of a sports team is the competition with other teams. The purpose of products is for your own personal enjoyment. Treating a product like it is a sports team is the problem. That's why those who do that are called warriors.

Last edited:

zomboden

Banned
The purpose of a sports team is the competition with other teams. The purpose of products is for your own personal enjoyment. Treating a product like it is a sports team is the problem. That's why those who do that are called warriors.
Okay? What about the other examples I used. Nice cherry picking.

And examples of people "warring" over products is in human nature. People prefer Dodge/Chevrolet/Ford make fun of people who have the other cars. They're just cars right? For your own personal transportation? Wrong. iPhone/Android, just phones, right?

You're asking people to deny human nature. The only difference between me being honest and saying I prefer Xbox and literally clicking on a random forum goer (yourself included that's for sure bud)'s profile and reading how they laugh emoji to almost anything Xbox positive and froth at the mouth of anything Sony related is that they don't say it outright. That's the difference.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Its not being a fan its being constantly tormented for being a fan of said sports team

You can be a Yankee fan or a Mets fan but eventually the Mets fan will stop going to sports bar because of the ribbing from Yankee fans

Nothing wrong with being a fan of anything but I also don't blame people for not coming back here (or anywhere for that matter) when taking constant beatings

Is it Xbox fault?

Sure

But when people come into an Xbox thread to shit it up over and over but just stop coming

I know people shit post in PS threads as well, its just there are tons more PS fans and fanboys talking shit

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I would say that 99% of users on GAF want the same thing. The difference is, sane people rightly criticize platform holders when they fuck up. Xbox has been fucking up for *years*. Sony did for a long while too and you can go back and check at the start of the PS3 generation and lots of criticism towards Sony. Nintendo also fucks up once every 10 years or so and you can easily see that they are criticized here as well.

There is a difference between being a fan and being a warrior. You are clearly on the latter end of the spectrum. I enjoy iPhone, but I won't dismiss other phones if they come out with something cool/useful/neat in concept. I will buy what is the best product on the market. For video games, this means I will buy every platform because I am not a poor child and I want to enjoy great games that exist on all platforms. If you limit yourself to one platform or one company, you are not an intelligent person. End of story.

This is a gaming hobbyist forum. Not an Xbox forum. Not a Sony forum (as many xbox warriors try to cry about). Not a Nintendo forum. Not a PC forum. This is a place for everyone to talk and enjoy games. Callout warrors when they need to be called out, report them to the mod team. Not difficult, not hard.

Last edited:

Vognerful

I know this picture was debunked already but when look at it, I find it weird that who ever made it did not bother with more realistic examples of games that were announced but not yet released?

now I that remember...... I think it is missing the following:

• Outerwolrds 2(can't wait!, I think the guy who made outerwilds joined them)
  • what was that Russian/Ukrainian game that looked cool?
  • contraband
  • replaced
  • Avowd (but not interested in it)

at the same time:

• is Halo Tatanaka supposed to be the battle royal mode of halo?
  • do we have any knowledge about wolfenstien 3?

FbLLkYn.jpg

Varteras

Gold Member
I know Xbox isn't doing great lately. But I'm not shaken at all by it. Because I have faith in the product/leadership and the ability to bounce back.

The issue I have, is the "kicking while you're already down", and the "beating the dead horse". Jim Ryan memes, Conversations that allude to the idea that if Microsoft ever owns a studio its doomed to be terrible and never make a good game again. More recently, the idea that if a game isn't a PS5 exclusive it's doomed to be forever shit. Fantasizing about Sony acquiring major publishers despite them already being the market leader by far. You see that kind of banter commonplace. It's like Sony's camp has been empowered and basically given a ticket to say whatever the hell they want now.

The Xbox fanboys have never been any better when it comes to their behavior. They just lose a lot more often than they win. If you're not someone who engages in the console war, then just ignore the idiots who do. Report them if you must. Because you're not going to change them by complaining about it openly. It just makes you look, in fact, shaken by it all.

If you DO engage in that stupidity, well, you played the stupid game and now you get the stupid prize. That being the ridicule you earned being a corporate cheerleading jackhole for the losing team. A LOT of the Xbox fans around here engaged in that behavior.

Now, they're not showing their faces because Team Green has been getting its shit pushed in. Again. At this particular point, they really have nothing to fire back with. I promise you that if the showcase and/or Starfield bangs, they'll be right back here.

That being said, people are allowed to criticize Microsoft for its constant failures. If you're getting emotional because it is repeatedly pointed out how bad Xbox has been dropping the ball, because they have repeatedly done so, that's a YOU problem.

I will not stop being critical of a company with several hundred billion dollars in assets constantly faceplanting because someone with a misguided emotional stake might get offended. That's not my problem. I will stop being critical when they stop being fuck ups who charge people $500 for a console that offers little of anything special compared to its competitors.

When Xbox gets its early-360 mojo back, I'll shut the fuck up. Most people will. Look at Nintendo.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

And examples of people "warring" over products is in human nature. People prefer Dodge/Chevrolet/Ford make fun of people who have the other cars. They're just cars right? For your own personal transportation? Wrong. iPhone/Android, just phones, right?

You're asking people to deny human nature. The only difference between me being honest and saying I prefer Xbox and literally clicking on a random forum goer (yourself included that's for sure bud)'s profile and reading how they laugh emoji to almost anything Xbox positive and froth at the mouth of anything Sony related is that they don't say it outright. That's the difference.

No. It is not "human nature". The vast majority of the human civilization doesn't engage in such petty, pathetic, infantile crap. Only mental invalids do.

Topher

Gold Member

Seems you need to reread your own post. You talked about sports and a variety of "products". So what exactly am I "cherry picking" again?

Well, if that's what you think then you really have no reason to whine about PlayStation fans who make fun of Xbox, now do you? Since you think it is "human nature" and all.

As for me, I cheer for Xbox when they succeed at making great games. Always have. I've said plenty of times that I favor PlayStation only because PlayStation makes games I enjoy. If PlayStation stops making those games then I stop being a fan of PlayStation. Games are the entire point.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Seems you need to reread your own post. You talked about sports and a variety of "products". So what exactly am I "cherry picking" again?

Well, if that's what you think then you really have no reason to whine about PlayStation fans who make fun of Xbox, now do you? Since you think it is "human nature" and all.

As for me, I cheer for Xbox when they succeed at making great games. Always have. I've said plenty of times that I favor PlayStation only because PlayStation makes games I enjoy. If PlayStation stops making those games then I stop being a fan of PlayStation. Games are the entire point.

Same. A good game will be talked about as a good game. Pentiment and HiFi Rush both were talked about well here, because they were incredibly good games. Same with Ori, Cuphead, and others. What is matter has always been the games. Not the platform. It is why I am always baffled when people say they are *fans* of a platform and not fans of particular publishers, developers, or franchises.

As for PlayStation, that is why I play on it remarkably less now. They make games that don't interest me and games I have long since grown tired of. It is why I am not criticizing Nintendo as much as they are making games that I am enjoying more currently (and its why I raked them over the coals during the Wii U era).

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member

You should take the Gom Jabbar.

Vognerful

You should have ignored the wiener

adamsapple

I know this picture was debunked already but when look at it, I find it weird that who ever made it did not bother with more realistic examples of games that were announced but not yet released?

• contraband
  • replaced

at the same time:

Yes, Tatanka is the internal project name for the BR mode and we got no idea about Wolf 3 :(

But ID / Machine Games gotta announce something soon-ish I reckon.

Based on this rumor, shall we expect to see P3R in the xbox or playstation showcase?

At least two different 'insiders', and one whose supposedly vetted by Era mods and leaked the existence of P3 remake last year, have said the same thing.

Might be something to it.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Same. A good game will be talked about as a good game. Pentiment and HiFi Rush both were talked about well here, because they were incredibly good games. Same with Ori, Cuphead, and others. What is matter has always been the games. Not the platform. It is why I am always baffled when people say they are *fans* of a platform and not fans of particular publishers, developers, or franchises.

As for PlayStation, that is why I play on it remarkably less now. They make games that don't interest me and games I have long since grown tired of. It is why I am not criticizing Nintendo as much as they are making games that I am enjoying more currently (and its why I raked them over the coals during the Wii U era).

See.....that's exactly what I mean. PS isn't doing it for you and so you went elsewhere. That's the way it is supposed to work. I game primarily on PC, but I do still enjoy PS exclusives. That's why I've always advocated PS games on PC day one. Same games, one less platform.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
See.....that's exactly what I mean. PS isn't doing it for you and so you went elsewhere. That's the way it is supposed to work. I game primarily on PC, but I do still enjoy PS exclusives. That's why I've always advocated PS games on PC day one. Same games, one less platform.

Eh, not a fan of exclusivity going away. Exclusives push consoles and drive competition, IMO. It pushes the big platforms to do better which means we get better games. I hate that Xbox releases day and date on the PC. It makes the console feel completely pointless aside from having physicals (which didn't matter for the first two years because of their retarded DRM policy).

2-4 years post launch is a good timeframe to release on PC for exclusives IMO.

While I may not be the biggest fan of first party AAA PS games atm, that may change in 4-10 years. Things always change and alter. I remember when Nintendo was big into focusing primarily on 2.5D platformers, now they are more into open world design. Sony used to be more into gameplay-focused content and now they are narrative focused. Things change and none of us can predict what may catch our eye. Plus even if there aren't great AAA games for me on one platform, that doesn't mean the AA, A, or Indie exclusives aren't fantastic. Its why I buy every major platform I can.

Vognerful

as a guy who mainly games on PC and switch, I can't say I feel the same way about games anymore as the daily bickering and overblown hype killed it for me. I will give the example that I always make about FF7 (as a die-hard final fantasy fan) and how it was locked in Sony consoles for so long. And when it was released, I was really underwhelmed as I did not find it fun at all and playing it was more like doing work. It was the same thing with Witcher 3, and I guess it will be the same with FFXVI.

I mean yeah, you shouldn't fall under fomo pressure. But when everyone tells you it is good and you should try it (and some assholes enjoy the idea of games taken away from PC), then you start second guessing.

Vognerful

• contraband
  • replaced

at the same time:

FbLLkYn.jpg
Stalker 2!

I remember how this game stole the lights in that showing

adamsapple

Stalker 2!

I remember how this game stole the lights in that showing

I won't expect STALKER 2 any time soon but that goes far beyond game development.

If they are able to get the game to an acceptable state even with that, nothing short of a miracle.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Too much "warrior" talk and not enough hype.

Someone make a fucking hype train.

I am hyped to see some proper HELLBLADE II gameplay. And a fucking release date.

Same for Perfect Dark.

If both of these have great showings, I am back on board with the X. (Minus the S)

Last edited:
The only game im interested in whose date we don't know about that has a chance at launching soonish is Avowed. I'm all up for a Bethesda-esque fantasy 1st person rpg. Hellblade looks pretty, but if I was into that style of game I'd own a PS.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I hope to hear something bout state of decay 3. Love the 1st and 2nd game. Been waiting for the 3rd for ever it seems since I heard it last
Same. Rumours were they were going all in for a AAA State of Decay 3. Cannot wait to see what that looks like!

supernova8

Banned

(treading lightly since I got a warning for console warring eek)

Not sure it's good to read too much into the Xbox show being 2 hours, given that last time there was a lot of developer talk fluff. The last few Playstation SoPs and the last showcase (feels like a lifetime ago) were almost entirely without developer commentary fluff.

They've all pretty much been back to back games, so I personally wouldn't expect that much of a difference in terms of the number of games shown.

Plus like you said, half the show is Starfield. Honestly, I don't even know if I want to see an hour's worth of Starfield. Surely they could show us what we need to see in like 10-15 minutes, no?

Last edited:

Not sure it's good to read too much into the Xbox show being 2 hours, given that last time there was a lot of developer talk fluff. The last few Playstation SoPs and the last showcase (feels like a lifetime ago) were almost entirely without developer commentary fluff.

They've all pretty much been back to back games, so I personally wouldn't expect that much of a difference in terms of the number of games shown.
about 10

adamsapple

Plus like you said, half the show is Starfield. Honestly, I don't even know if I want to see an hour's worth of Starfield. Surely they could show us what we need to see in like 10-15 minutes, no?

The 'half show is starfield' is just my guess, other folks like Tom Warren have said it's 90 minutes Xbox and 30 minutes Starfield.

Varteras

Gold Member

Number of games really isn't as important as how impactful the exclusives were collectively. That is the biggest factor for how platform showcases are judged. Every game matters. But a showcase of 50 Concrete Genies wouldn't stand a chance against a showcase of 10 Spider-Mans. People wouldn't stop talking about the latter for weeks or months. The former would be forgotten in a matter of days.

Same. Rumours were they were going all in for a AAA State of Decay 3. Cannot wait to see what that looks like!
Before MS got them. Wasn’t they gonna trying to make a mmo or some kinda massive online game with state of decay. Remember hearing there road map bout that before the first state of decay even released

Top Bottom