• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Games Showcase Announced for June 11 before the Starfield Show

Hype check time!

• Phil won't let us down, he always delivers!

Votes: 18 13.2%
  • It won't be difficult to surpass the Sony shitshow in any case.

Votes: 65 47.8%
  • Phil my boy, this is your last chance of redemption.

Votes: 29 21.3%
  • It will suck, can't convince me otherwise.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • First-party stuff only or bust!

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LordCBH

Before MS got them. Wasn’t they gonna trying to make a mmo or some kinda massive online game with state of decay. Remember hearing there road map bout that before the first state of decay even released

I completely forgot about State of Decay 3. 2nd one wasn’t great, but honestly had a charm to it. Have there been any rumors about the 3rd one at all?

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Xbox Games Showcase is 90 minutes and Starfield Direct is 30 minutes. Hoping to see gameplay trailers for -

- Avowed
- Contraband
- Fable
- Hellblade 2
- Indiana Jones
- Perfect Dark

All hopefully running off Xbox Series X instead of PC but I highly doubt this will happen. I'm also hoping for major third party AAA multi-platform games being shown at the showcase because Microsoft needs to eliminate the Game Pass only mantra. It's fucking stupid. Go get marketing deals for popular games because it brings consumers to your brand and in turn, they will look at Game Pass.

I completely forgot about State of Decay 3. 2nd one wasn’t great, but honestly had a charm to it. Have there been any rumors about the 3rd one at all?
No, all I remember bout the 3rd one. Is the cgi reveal during the series x/s reveal the same year I think or the year after. After that. Nothing more. Other than they working on it I hope still.

LordCBH

No, all I remember bout the 3rd one. Is the cgi reveal during the series x/s reveal the same year I think or the year after. After that. Nothing more. Other than they working on it I hope still.

I hope we see something of it soon. Enjoyed 2 a lot more than I expected I would.

supernova8

Banned
The 'half show is starfield' is just my guess, other folks like Tom Warren have said it's 90 minutes Xbox and 30 minutes Starfield.

Right, sorry, I thought you were working for Xbox so.. ;) (just kidding, don't ban me!)

Yeah.............. I am kinda excited for the Xbox showcase but at this point it just feels like they announced a bunch of stuff way too early and now they probably don't have a whole lot to surprise us with. I think the only way I would get excited is if they showed off actual gameplay/visuals from Perfect Dark and Fable AND they both look good. Gears of War would be nice too but... hmm.. not sure.

Ideally, I'd want to see concrete updates (and some sign of firm release dates) for most of the games they already announced, especially Hellblade 2, but I'm not sure I have faith in them delivering all that.

At the moment I'm just enjoying my Series S and Game Pass for what it is. I figured that if I just assume none of the first party titles are coming any time soon, I'll be pleasantly surprised if they are coming soon.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
(treading lightly since I got a warning for console warring eek)

Not sure it's good to read too much into the Xbox show being 2 hours, given that last time there was a lot of developer talk fluff. The last few Playstation SoPs and the last showcase (feels like a lifetime ago) were almost entirely without developer commentary fluff.

They've all pretty much been back to back games, so I personally wouldn't expect that much of a difference in terms of the number of games shown.

Plus like you said, half the show is Starfield. Honestly, I don't even know if I want to see an hour's worth of Starfield. Surely they could show us what we need to see in like 10-15 minutes, no?
I got the same fear when it was anounced, but I think that it will not as bad as previous E3 before Covid. Not putting Starfield allows them breathing room, so we do not look at the whole conference waiting for it. They will need another game to act as a main event. And another to act as a surprise at the end. And of course a good trailer at the beginning is crucial. 3 good surprises, or confirmations, is already good. I think that since their developer direct they will go down on developer talk. Put one or 2 good third parties first reveal,marketing deals, or whatever like a Ubisoft game, or even Armored Core 6, and you get a pretty good showcase. Xbox will make their developers talk a little, but not a 50/50( or worse) like in their E3 were in the past. Just a few snipets to explain and promise things for games that are nebulous right now, and that they can't show yet in full. I only hope that they don't let the recent Pr blunders got to them and made them fire a bunch of CGI for games that are not ready. This burned them in the past.

Vognerful

I got the same fear when it was anounced, but I think that it will not as bad as previous E3 before Covid. Not putting Starfield allows them breathing room, so we do not look at the whole conference waiting for it. They will need another game to act as a main event. And another to act as a surprise at the end. And of course a good trailer at the beginning is crucial. 3 good surprises, or confirmations, is already good. I think that since their developer direct they will go down on developer talk. Put one or 2 good third parties first reveal,marketing deals, or whatever like a Ubisoft game, or even Armored Core 6, and you get a pretty good showcase. Xbox will make their developers talk a little, but not a 50/50( or worse) like in their E3 were in the past. Just a few snipets to explain and promise things for games that are nebulous right now, and that they can't show yet in full. I only hope that they don't let the recent Pr blunders got to them and made them fire a bunch of CGI for games that are not ready. This burned them in the past.
For 3rd party games it doesn't have to be AAA stuff. I think hollow knight is locked to appear.

And if they manage to show more stuff about hades 2, or announce any dates about the game in the event, that would be huge.

xqMudti.jpg

Vognerful

For the last 2 years, they would have the show one day, and then developers talk on next day.

State of Decay 2 is so much better now than it was when it launched. Damn near a different game.
State of Decay 3 will be very good, for sure.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
For 3rd party games it doesn't have to be AAA stuff. I think hollow knight is locked to appear.

And if they manage to show more stuff about hades 2, or announce any dates about the game in the event, that would be huge.

xqMudti.jpg
Absolutely. Hades 2 will be huge. And I think that they have/ had a gamepass deal with the makers of Rogue Legacy 2. I would love for them to be given more money from Xbox to do something.

Calverz

Yeah if your that sensitive to the point of getting emotional over videogames you have bigger problems. Become mature human beings first and then you can actually enjoy these forums instead of having mental breakdowns instead. It's their own fault for being so childish and immature.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the show.
Case in point. It can be a hostile environment for Xbox fans so I guess some just choose to leave.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
All I have wanted more than anything is a Fallout 3/New Vegas remaster. That's literally it. This is pathetically low hanging fruit that MS refuses to grab.

If this was being developed and was given a release date of this year, I'd immediately give the show an A+++

Seriously, that is literally all MS has to do to make me happy.

But it won't happen.

I'd love to see what id software is up to now that Doom Eternal has been out for 3 years.

What's sad is that my expectations couldn't be lower, and yet somehow I expect to come away disappointed. I have this weird way of hoping that just once MS will finally pleasantly surprise me.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Will this save Xbox after Phillyboys glourious interview?

I Dont Think So The Muppets GIF by ABC Network
Xbox will continue, but Phil won't last this year. You can feel the switch to Sarah Bond as the replacement already. I can see Phil going after Starfield releases, either a great sign off to his reign or the patsy if Starfield doesn't meet expectations. Hopefully not the latter.

Mr Hyde

Anybody else fucking stoked for this? Deep dive with Starfield. Possible first look on Fable and Awowed. Hellblade 2 is guaranteed to be there. Hopefully release date for Eiyuden Chronicles. And, if a man can dream... The Evil Within 3.

Vognerful

Anybody else fucking stoked for this? Deep dive with Starfield. Possible first look on Fable and Awowed. Hellblade 2 is guaranteed to be there. Hopefully release date for Eiyuden Chronicles. And, if a man can dream... The Evil Within 3.
I have to confess that since I was never into fallout or Skyrim, starfield show would only be interesting for me if the space sim aspects are emphasized in the show.

But since a lot of complaints came about gunplay, I am afraid that they would choose to show that instead.

I am also not a fan of extensive looks into games and prefer to see few short trailers that hooks me, and then I avoid any other information until the game is out

Love the show to open up with the new Jet Set Radio. But in the real world, I hope for Forza and Contraband to be the showcase games this year...

reksveks

I wonder if they announce a gamepass exclusive game?
As in one that you cant buy? Probably not.

It would further complicate licensing and that might be important for M&A remedies/deals.

Also they have only done it once for an indie and maybe once for some elements of goldeneye/rare replay.

Godot25

Banned
My little showcase predictions

100% will be there
Starfield (if you are counting Starfield Direct as part of showcase)
Forza Motorsport
bunch of third-party Game Pass announcements

Likely will be there
Hellblade 2
Avowed

Probably will be there
Stalker 2
Contraband
The Wandering Tower
Age of Mythology Retold

My hopes
Gears/Fable collections
Fable
some kind of new XGS Publishing project

I'm not expecting but I will be pleased to see
State of Decay 3
Perfect Dark
Everwild
new id Software game
new ZOS game
new Arkane Lyon game
Gears 6
Tatanka
new Double Fine game
Indiana Jones
The Outer Worlds 2
Kojima XGS game
Forza Horizon 6

Don't want it to be there but it will be there
Halo Infinite Season 4
Sea of Thieves content drop
Pete Hines segment with ESO and Fallout 76

I would like it to be there, but I'm not sure
Project Midnight
Project Cobalt

My secret hope
Banjo remake

ulantan

As in one that you cant buy? Probably not.

It would further complicate licensing and that might be important for M&A remedies/deals.

Also they have only done it once for an indie and maybe once for some elements of goldeneye/rare replay.
It would be an interesting move if some first party games moved to gamepass only. I think they could do but they would have to be very careful.

Pelta88

I am tempering my expectations. Hoping for the best kinda thing. My issue with XBOX showcases is the heavy reliance on CGI.

I'd love for Phil Spencer to come out and say something like "Everything you're about to see was captured on a Series X" My hype levels would hit the roof. Unfortunately, and given their history, I'm expecting a heavy reliance on third party animation/cgi studios. Like the ones that made the Fable animation/cgi etc

reksveks

It would be an interesting move if some first party games moved to gamepass only. I think they could do but they would have to be very careful.
I don't think they would and suspect if they had plans, we may have seen it in the ABK investigation. Their position has been that MGS (subscription) is another incremental distribution route.

Re it being interesting, I agree but u don't think it's likely.

Vognerful

I don't think they would and suspect if they had plans, we may have seen it in the ABK investigation. Their position has been that MGS (subscription) is another incremental distribution route.

Re it being interesting, I agree but u don't think it's likely.
Also, you really don't want games locked to a platform where it might go away when that platform is gone.

Case in point: PS3 exclusive games, stadia, etc.

Vognerful

I am tempering my expectations. Hoping for the best kinda thing. My issue with XBOX showcases is the heavy reliance on CGI.

I'd love for Phil Spencer to come out and say something like "Everything you're about to see was captured on a Series X" My hype levels would hit the roof. Unfortunately, and given their history, I'm expecting a heavy reliance on third party animation/cgi studios. Like the ones that made the Fable animation/cgi etc
I actually find gameplay trailers quite boring. I mean show a prerendered scenes with few glimpse of gameplay.

It is not like they are having the best players to demonstrate the game.

Vognerful

I wasn't following on all the details, but is it confirmed that FF7R is fully blocked from Xbox?

If it is not, this event would have been good way to announce it.

Pelta88

I actually find gameplay trailers quite boring. I mean show a prerendered scenes with few glimpse of gameplay.

It is not like they are having the best players to demonstrate the game.

Gameplay trailers or the lack thereof are a huge part of XBOX's messaging issue. Showcasing CGI will always lead to talks of "downgrade" when the actual gameplay is shown.

Gameplay trailers might be boring to you but that doesn't make them less essential to XB's gaming efforts.

reksveks

I'd love for Phil Spencer to come out and say something like "Everything you're about to see was captured on a Series X" My hype levels would hit the roof.
Cause I have a pc and Series S, I don't massively care but they do 100% need to be more explicit on what they are showing and then I would prefer it to on Series X cause 1) it makes more sense for general audience and then I can set expectations better.

I think like all things it's about balance and context. I think you should be generally focused on the next 12 months and therefore most of it should be gameplay trailers or in-engine trailers with a decent amount of gameplay.

I dont think there was an issue about the lack of gameplay in the last year's showcase but they weren't clear on the platforms and the dates just were off/wrong.

Eotheod

Case in point. It can be a hostile environment for Xbox fans so I guess some just choose to leave.
Do what I do: don't invest enough in the hobby to throw out the joy of playing video games because someone on a niche forum called your platform bad. Honestly, our opinions here mean bugger all as we have skewed focal points comparitive to the general public. However, it's still great to have the niche discussions to expand one's understandings and general appreciation for the simpler things like playing games.

At the end of the day, billion dollar companies aren't going to listen to what a member on GAF says, no matter how many threads are made jesting about a headpiece quitting.

Roberts

It's weird, but the game I want to see the most is the one made by Compulsion. I have a feeling it should be completed sometime soon.

splattered

All camps will be very well fed this summer. These next few weeks are going to be amazing for gaming.

As much as this guy loves crapping on Xbox it's kind of interesting to hear him say that... I was more of the mind set that Xbox was going to hold back this year while they were still working on the acquisition.

Vognerful

Gameplay trailers or the lack thereof are a huge part of XBOX's messaging issue. Showcasing CGI will always lead to talks of "downgrade" when the actual gameplay is shown.

Gameplay trailers might be boring to you but that doesn't make them less essential to XB's gaming efforts.
Ok, when was the last show for Xbox that was basically CGI?

Since 2021, all there shows are basically gameplay trailers.

Riky

$MSFT

Definitely think we will see Avowed as Spencer said he's played it recently. I'd only expect CGI trailers for new announcements, pretty high hopes as I believe we'll see a load of gameplay and a heavy emphasis on UE5.
Hype through the roof if we see Perfect Dark and announcements of new Banjo and Quake.

Astray

Gold Member
Yep, the 2 hr slot has been derived from fans using the time slots and the 30 minutes for SF and 90 for Xbox is something Tom Warren etc are speculating.
Tom Warren doesn't speculate on anything Microsoft afaik.

We're talking about the guy that is always the 1st person to tell us that Windows 11 is changing the white point color of the mouse pointer to 6500K or whatever. The most miniscule Microsoft moves are always reported by him every time.

He's also literally founded and ran a Microsoft-focused blog before going to the verge, he's absolutely connected at Microsoft.

Vognerful

Tom Warren doesn't speculate on anything Microsoft afaik.

We're talking about the guy that is always the 1st person to tell us that Windows 11 is changing the white point color of the mouse pointer to 6500K or whatever. The most miniscule Microsoft moves are always reported by him every time.

He's also literally founded and ran a Microsoft-focused blog before going to the verge, he's absolutely connected at Microsoft.
Yeah, he is more like an unofficial Microsoft spokesperson

Fredrik

Your last line is the crux of the problem, numerous active posters here call anyone posting positively about xbox as shills, cult members yada yada.

Everyone should be thick skinned on the internet by default but it gets tiresome after a while seeing the same thing over and over in literally every topic about remotely anything related to xbox.
I just put people who always troll on ignore and go on with my life. I’m just here because I love talking about games with people on the other side of the planet, if I can’t have a normal conversation because a game is on a box with a X on the power button then I don’t see the point trying to have that conversation. Board is mostly calm now, maybe a bit inactive at times but it’s okay I don’t have time to read everything anyway.

Top Bottom