• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Games with Gold July: Guacamelee/Max (Xbox One), Gotham City/Battleblock (360)

hawk2025

Well, if we are going to have only one game a month, then I hope it's always a brand new one, or at least new to the platform :)

I guess they never specifically said the new games each month would actually be new to the service... Well played Microsoft, well played.....

TK Turk

Banned
I think it'll be one or two games per month. The fine print allows them to get away with just one per month, but I can definitely see them offering two in the future.

BTW, I can't take credit for that picture, I saw it posted on reddit. But this is exactly the wording I remember when it first started.

Also, didn't PS4 start with only one game per month?

I think it'll be one or two games per month. The fine print allows them to get away with just one per month, but I can definitely see them offering two in the future.

BTW, I can't take credit for that picture, I saw it posted on reddit. But this is exactly the wording I remember when it first started.

Nope. They had two at lauch - Resogun and Contrast. Contrast replaced Driveclub.

Google

No. Two completely brand new games that had not been released on any other platform - Resogun and Catherine.

I think that's why I'm so apathetic towards this.

Not only is the game they're releasing this month a port of a game that's been extremely successful on multiple formats but they're also keeping the same (poor) game from last month.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Ehh, the PS4 was released at the same time and hasn't repeated months, I don't see why this should be any different?

The ps4 and xbox one library have a different amount of digital download games, so yeah, i'm going to expect some discrepancy.

hawk2025

So did Xbox One... I guess what I'm asking is, did it continue with 2 after the first month?

PS+ on PS4 had one brand new free game a month from December-May.

Starting in June, the new Pixeljunk Shooter was joined by Trine 2, while in July Strider, Doki Doki Panic and Towerfall Ascension are the featured games.

Google

That doesn't contradict what I said.

So what point were you trying to make? That a game that's been available for a long amount of time and released on multiple other formats perhaps wouldnt be a great candidate to make a huge amount of money on a new format?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They literally just announced that games for gold would be two games per month on Xbox one and 360. They hadn't planned that out past one month and are already changing it?? Maybe it was 'up to 1 to 2 games'?

Ryse in August will make up for it MS :p

see5harp

PS+ on PS4 had one brand new free game a month from December-May.

Starting in June, the new Pixeljunk Shooter was joined by Trine 2, while in July Strider, Doki Doki Panic and Towerfall Ascension are the featured games.

PS+ has been better but I don't think Trine 2, Pixeljunk Shooter ports were anywhere close to being as good as Resogun. Hell, Contrast is super terrible.

Cool on getting Guacamelee but Max again? That's kinda weak. Yeah, I know.. it's hard to not come across as entitled saying stuff like that but I was hoping they would've swapped out the two xbox one titles every month.

Also, the 360 offerings are quite good.

TK Turk

Banned
They've had two (or more) games a month that are playable on PS4.

But that's not what you asked

Shit. You're right - I forgot about that.

Gotcha. I do expect MSoft to eventually start offering 2 games per month, and will be disappointed if they don't. For now, I'm just happy to be getting Guacamelee. BTW, nice Avatar. With the Grim Fandango announcement, I'm hoping the same happens with the Monkey Island franchise.

hawk2025

PS+ has been better but I don't think Trine 2, Pixeljunk Shooter ports were anywhere close to being as good as Resogun. Hell, Contrast is super terrible.

Well, there's nothing on either console that's as good as Resogun, so that doesn't come as a surprise!

Trine 2 and Pixeljunk Shooter Ultimate are excellent games.

One new xbox one game per month (read the bottom print). Not sure why a lot of you were expecting two. I thought they said June was a special month due to the start of the program and E3.

Ggpl2y4.jpg

The fine print is pretty clear....... I just don't understand why they had to put the major details of one of their biggest additions to Xbox Live in fine print...

jesu

They literally just announced that games for gold would be two games per month on Xbox one and 360. They hadn't planned that out past one month and are already changing it?? Maybe it was 'up to 1 to 2 games'?

Ryse in August will make up for it MS :p

When did they actually announce it was 2 X1 games a month?

Didn;t know guacamele was even coming to X1 so that is nice.
Bit disappointed about them repeating max, but then again I guess we should give them a brake as they just started, and they don't have a lot of indy games on the X1 yet.

border

As disappointed as I am with them repeating Max: The Curse of Brotherhood, I would feel kind of spoiled complaining about it.

Guacamelee is a brand new release, and honestly I would prefer that they strive to give us one new game for free rather than two old games.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Ehh..different strokes for different folks, but I will agree that Contrast looks terrible.

The fine print is pretty clear....... I just don't understand why they had to put the major details of one of their biggest additions to Xbox Live in fine print...

b3vY5Ho.gif

atr0cious

So what point were you trying to make? That a game that's been available for a long amount of time and released on multiple other formats perhaps wouldnt be a great candidate to make a huge amount of money on a new format?

On only one console. I haven't played it yet, and I own it on steam and humble bundle. I'm specifically waiting for the Wii U version myself, but there are others who were probably waiting for it on their xbone. That they're part of the giveaway deal means they are hoping to broaden their horizons and hopefully get recognition that way, much like indie gala bundles, but weren't expecting much of anything to begin with.

If Guacamelee comes out on Wii U at a super discounted rate, then your point would make more sense.

When did they actually announce it was 2 X1 games a month?

They didn't.

I'll quote myself from another thread when someone said same thing and I replied.

Just reading back on PR.

June’s system update will debut Games with Gold on Xbox One, with two great games – “Max: The Curse of Brotherhood” and “Halo: Spartan Assault.”

Nowhere can I find any mention of it being 2 games a month for xbox one, just they started the program with 2 games.

Anyone found anything as it's now looking like 1 game a month for xbox one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The xbox one hasn't been out for a year, i'd cut them some slack. They can't give their whole library away.

so it's free

I'd give them complete slack if they'd said 'one Xbox one game free per month', when they launched games for gold. The wording they used was vague at best. It's just bad PR. I had no expectations at the start, but now I am disappointed

TK Turk

Banned
I'd give them complete slack if they'd said 'one Xbox one game free per month', when they launched games for gold. The wording they used was vague at best. It's just bad PR. I had no expectations at the start, but now I am disappointed

Yeah, it was super vague. "One game per month on Xbox One". I mean, seriously, what do they even mean by that?

But they never actually said 2 games per month. They debuted with two, which might have mislead people to think 2 were coming each month, but I think that was just a special case since it was the beginning of the program.

Here's what was officially announced (notice where it says explicitly 1 XB1 game per month):

One new xbox one game per month (read the bottom print). Not sure why a lot of you were expecting two. I thought they said June was a special month due to the start of the program and E3.

Ggpl2y4.jpg

Jigorath

Banned
What a weak month. Already own Guacemelee on my Vita but I guess I'll replay it on XBO. Only one game per month is pretty lame. Gotta step it up MS.

93xfan

Banned

I believe we got 2 free games at launch. And the x1 started at 0 and is now finally offering 1-2 games a month at $10 more.

Etnos

Banned
That's precisely why they should be working hard to try to at least offer what Sony has been for years now. Not what they're doing now which is pretty sketchy especially given the fact that most people just assumed (right or wrong) that they were doing 2 a month. You can say that consumers should do their due diligence and all but, c’mon, it seems pretty clear that they continue to have every intent on being dragged into parity with PS+.

Dude they are giving free games away, they already cut it down the need of Gold for netflix and media, they already took away kinect. They will be selling the Master Chief collection at $50 (quite possibly the best videogame deal ever), and they have way more actual exclusives than Sony has at least for this first year.

Yet people keep bitching on them like if they were the bane of videogames, I'm not even the biggest xbox fan (I spent way more money and time on PC), but common... some objectivity here please. If so Microsoft is responding to the market way faster than the PS3 did when they dropped the ball last gent, they took like 4 years to realize: Ohh well I guess we screwed up guys, we just lost 80% of the market.

Evo X

I already own all these games. Also sucks, that we get Max again. Seems like the whole 2 new games per month thing was a load of BS.

Alchemy

I was hoping for Crimson Dragon. Should have bitten when it was on sale :(

Game isn't that great honestly. About 1/3rd of the way it starts to get very grindy and begins to feel like a free to play title. Totally killed my drive to continue playing.

Flintty

The new edition of Guacamelee is a great get. I'm jealous.

Yeah, and it's the first time the game has been available on Xbox, so it's a pretty big deal that it's free.

This! Everyone complaining about Max but Guacamelee being free as a new game is pretty damn big. I can't wait to try it.

see5harp

Well, there's nothing on either console that's as good as Resogun, so that doesn't come as a surprise!

Trine 2 and Pixeljunk Shooter Ultimate are excellent games.

...that I had already paid for, played, and beat on another platform. Shooter was a good game. Trine 2 was Max Curse of the Brotherhood tier. Good ideas, poor execution. It's a step above Rochard.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Dude they are giving free games away already, they already cut it down the need of Gold for netflix and media, they already took away kinect.

Haha. What do you mean already?

edit: and where are you getting $50 for MC Collection?

Blue Volt

Banned
This! Everyone complaining about Max but Guacamelee being free as a new game is pretty damn big. I can't wait to try it.

Guacamelee isn't a "new game".

I'm slightly shocked that it wasn't LocoCycle to be honest, I mean they own the bloody developers. Nobody is going to buy it, they might as well throw it out for free to make GWG look more attractive.

Dude they are giving free games away, they already cut it down the need of Gold for netflix and media, they already took away kinect. They will be selling the Master Chief collection at $50 (quite possibly the best videogame deal ever), and they have way more actual exclusives than Sony has at least for this first year.

Yet people keep bitching on them like if they were the bane of videogames, I'm not even the biggest xbox fan (I spent way more money and time on PC), but common... some objectivity here please. If so Microsoft is responding to the market way faster than the PS3 did when they dropped the ball last gent, they took like 4 years to realize: Ohh well I guess we screwed up guys, we just lost 80% of the market.

Good points and fair enough. Can't disagree with this. Thanks for a well worded argument that actually has given me a bit of perspective. Cheers!

Top Bottom