• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Games with Gold July: Guacamelee/Max (Xbox One), Gotham City/Battleblock (360)

Etnos

Banned
uh huh I don't know how having DRM on the Xbone would change the way AAA games are made.

Yes competition is a good thing.

Not sure how that quote has to do with anything, but yeah... god forbid people pay fair money for their entertainment business of choice AKA (videogames).

If gamestop can milk the industry why can't we!? good old street justice!

Kayant

Yeah, it was super vague. "One game per month on Xbox One". I mean, seriously, what do they even mean by that?

Seeing as it wasn't on the site and still isn't that point is valid. I mean they have gone to the extend of removing the dates - http://i.imgur.com/wbfRhfo.png

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/games-with-gold

Why the need for this info not to be online as well?

This is really confusing.. what do they mean by "one game"? Is that like two Xbox One games or something?

Exactly what it means one game. But I think one will rotate every three months maybe. Come August you will know if max is replaced.

But they never actually said 2 games per month. They debuted with two, which might have mislead people to think 2 were coming each month, but I think that was just a special case since it was the beginning of the program.

Here's what was officially announced (notice where it says explicitly 1 XB1 game per month):

Except everyone actually read this release:

http://news.xbox.com/2014/05/xbox-delivering-more-choices

Nowhere does it mention only one title per month there, not even in the fine print. They tell you Xbox One is getting Games with Gold and announce two titles for June, what would make you think it's only one title per month? I don't think anyone in that Gaf thread about this release thought it was only one title per month. I didn't read reports from any journalists that it was only one title per month (in fact, some reported it was two).

Microsoft didn't lie to us, they just deliberately misled us. It continues the wave of anti-consumer policies they've been putting in place since last year, and I find it troubling. As a gamer who loved his Xbox and Xbox 360 more than the other consoles from those generations, it's just frustrating how badly Microsoft is handling things this generation.

greenegt

I'll give MS a pass for extending Max, since there's not a big pool of content to pull from. GwG offerings should improve as time goes on.

Guacamelee is a brand new release, and honestly I would prefer that they strive to give us one new game for free rather than two old games.

100% agree with this.

Until there's a significant library to choose from, the chances are I've played any old game on the Xbone that would interest me anyway.

Take PS4 for example, excellent month in theory but since I've played Strider and Towerfall already it's pretty useless for me (not counting Doki Doki)

Xis

Yet people keep bitching on them like if they were the bane of videogames, I'm not even the biggest xbox fan (I spent way more money and time on PC), but common... some objectivity here please.

Microsoft has definitely made a lot of progress! But they still aren't delivering the same value that Sony is. And considering that Microsoft's sales are lagging behind Sony's by quite a bit, they shouldn't be aiming to equal Sony's offerings - they should be trying to better them.

kevin1025

Banned
I wonder if every new game will be available for two months. So Guacamelee might be available until September, with an overlap game that will also last for two months. That way they always have two every month, technically.

greenegt

Except everyone actually read this release:

http://news.xbox.com/2014/05/xbox-delivering-more-choices

Nowhere does it mention only one title per month there, not even in the fine print. They tell you Xbox One is getting Games with Gold and announce two titles for June, what would make you think it's only one title per month? I don't think anyone in that Gaf thread about this release thought it was only one title per month. I didn't read reports from any journalists that it was only one title per month (in fact, some reported it was two).

Microsoft didn't lie to us, they just deliberately misled us. It continues the wave of anti-consumer policies they've been putting in place since last year, and I find it troubling. As a gamer who loved his Xbox and Xbox 360 more than the other consoles from those generations, it's just frustrating how badly Microsoft is handling things this generation.

Anti-consumer? All of the 180s MS pulled since the XB1 unveiling have been pro-consumer. I don't blame anyone if they don't like MS, but let's be fair.

TK Turk

Banned
Microsoft has definitely made a lot of progress! But they still aren't delivering the same value that Sony is. And considering that Microsoft's sales are lagging behind Sony's by quite a bit, they shouldn't be aiming to equal Sony's offerings - they should be trying to better them.

I think many of you forget that MSoft and Sony are businesses. Giving away free things may appear awesome to the consumer, but don't always work out as well for the company. If anything, maybe Sony should follow MSofts lead, since MSoft seems to be in much better shape overall.

Madness

Even though they're "free", won't lie I feel the Xbox 360 games are a bit of a let down. Dark Souls and Super Street Fighter IV: AE to Battle Block and Gotham City Impostors?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Anti-consumer? All of the 180s MS pulled since the XB1 unveiling have been pro-consumer. I don't blame anyone if they don't like MS, but let's be fair.

You mean pro-sales. They saw the writing on the wall and changed positions.

LOL. They're "pro-consumer" because there was such an enormous backlash against their anti-consumer practices that they had no choice but to do a 180? Ummmm, okay...

Etnos

Banned
You mean pro-sales. They saw the writing on the wall and changed positions.

And do you honestly believe the 180 Sony did from early ps3 to ps4 has anything to do with them being "good guys" ?

They lost 80% percent of the market from ps2 to ps3. All big corporations are pro-sales. As I said if so, MS is responding to the market way faster than Sony did.

MattVT

In my eyes, Guacamelee is a near-perfect game. The controls are razor sharp, and it has an excellent soundtrack. It's very cool they're giving this away as a free game, and I'm glad it will be available to an even wider audience.

Swass

Well said and my sentiments exactly. Just more sleazy tactics from this company, and to think I just subbed to gold for a year after this announcement. I feel like they got one over on me and I'm not very happy about it.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I'll check out Guacamelee but gutted since I already bought Max when it released.

Lets hope Microsoft double dip and release a bigger game for August due to Max running through 2 months.

Prezhulio

So this is what they meant by two titles per month...

Nonetheless guacamelee is an awesome get for those who haven't played it yet.

Xis

I think many of you forget that MSoft and Sony are businesses. Giving away free things may appear awesome to the consumer, but don't always work out as well for the company. If anything, maybe Sony should follow MSofts lead, since MSoft seems to be in much better shape overall.

I would wager that Sony is much happier about how the PS4 is doing than Microsoft is about how the XB1 is doing.

greenegt

And do you honestly believe the 180 Sony did from early ps3 to ps4 has anything to do with them being "good guys" ?

They lost 80% percent of the market from ps2 to ps3. All big corporations are pro-sales.

Preach.

Sony were arrogant in '06, they learned a lesson, got some great guys in position of power, and now they are rolling.

MS (Xbox) started humble, lost their way towards the end of the 360 run, learned a lesson, got some good guys in position of power (Spencer, Charla), and now they are working to right the ship.

I'm giving Microsoft the benefit of the doubt here on Max. If they swap games out like they have been for some dealson the Xbox One, Max should be switched out later in the month.

But it remains to be seen. That's what has happened when they were running two seperate deals starting at different times but both lasting a different amount of time.

Ricky 7

I'm not quite sure what Games with Gold is but does this mean I can download Guacamelee for free? I was going to buy it on Wii U but if I'm getting it for free that'll be awesome.

Why is Max going again?
Get yo crap together MS, thats ridiculous.

In fairness, there's not many other games they could offer. More and more digital titles are coming though, so I expect the number will jump from one a month to two a month before years end.

I wouldn't be surprised if they launched two a month with a retail title. Perhaps Ryse or Zoo Tycoon.

VanWinkle

Man, one of the biggest reasons I are subscribed to Gold for a year yesterday was the two XB1 games a month. Now today I learn that it's only one game added a month.

Very disappointing, and deceiving wording when they said we would get two a month.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I'm giving Microsoft the benefit of the doubt here on Max. If they swap games out like they have been for some dealson the Xbox One, Max should be switched out later in the month.

Max will be available until August 3...there will only be one XBO Games with Gold per month as per their fine print.

I'm not quite sure what Games with Gold is but does this mean I can download Guacamelee for free? I was going to buy it on Wii U but if I'm getting it for free that'll be awesome.

As long as you have a Gold membership, you can download it for free and keep it for as long as you are a subscriber of Gold.

In fairness, there's not many other games they could offer. More and more digital titles are coming though, so I expect the number will jump from one a month to two a month before years end.

I wouldn't be surprised if they launched two a month with a retail title. Perhaps Ryse or Zoo Tycoon.

Gucamelee is old as hell though or is this the first time its been on the MS ecosystem?

Kinyou

Not a good month for me :/

At least some more people get to play Guacamelee

Gucamelee is old as hell though or is this the first time its been on the MS ecosystem?
It's been on 360 for a while, but not on the xb1

edit: nevermind, apparently it wasn't on 360

Top Bottom