• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Games with Gold July: Guacamelee/Max (Xbox One), Gotham City/Battleblock (360)

The old bait and switch from Microsoft. Can't say I didn't see something like this coming.

Really pathetic

Where did they ever say it's two new games every month? Welcome to my ignore list.

I'm glad Max is still up there. It's such a good platformer and if people missed it this month there's NO excuse now to not play it.

I've never played Guacamelee, but I've heard so many great things about it. Can't wait to download it.

Bending Kermit

Neo Member
Where did they ever say it's two new games every month? Welcome to my ignore list.

I'm glad Max is still up there. It's such a good platformer and if people missed it this month there's NO excuse now to not play it.

I've never played Guacamelee, but I've heard so many great things about it. Can't wait to download it.

I'm sorry I've offended you

Swass

They are trying to match Sony with two games for the Xbox one each month. Having one game stay on for an extra month is the switch

Agreed, they intentionally allowed people to run with a way of thinking without even an attempt at issuing a correction in hopes to sell a few more subs and consoles. Just comes off super sleazy and it's incredible so many are giving them a pass because of Guacamelee.

image.php

I believe in you.

def sim

I already own it, but it's definitely worth checking out. Even without the Johnny Bravo, Manny Calavera, or Zangief skins.

muzzymate

Battleblock Theater & Guacamelee are both excellent choices. Gotham City Impostors looks like a pass.

I was missing BBT since selling my 360, so I just got it for cheap on the Steam Summer Sale. Awesome platformer with a hilarious announcer.

I already have Guacamelee on Steam from a Humble Bundle, but haven't actually played it beyond the opening bits. I've heard great things about it and looking forward to acquiring it on the Xbox.

Salty Hippo

I also assumed it would be 2 new offerings for X1 every month. Almost renewed my Gold last month to start stacking free games before buying the console like I already do with PS4 and Vita. Glad I waited, this is still miles behind what Sony offers.

Disappointing that it's not two games, but Gucamelee is really good and brand new. Is it possible to redeem X1 games through the store, even if you don't own the console (like it's done on PSN)?

Shin-Ra

There was also an expectation that with the "you 100% own it" switching to the PS+ method of owning it as long as you're subscribed, there'd be an increase in the $ value of individual 360 games offered but if anything it's gone down.

They could give us a first party game for even cheaper no? I can't imagine Viva Pinata is making them any money.

Sure, 1st party games are free. Just move some numbers around on the books or whatever. But given that there's a lot of cosmetic DLC stuff for Gotham City Imposters, and given that it's a 2 year old game that's already gone F2P on PC, I'd guess Microsoft probably didn't have to pay a dime for it either.

Razdek

Banned
The people working in the Xbox division are all tainted and have no clue how to run it. Shitty sales, recycling Max, no advance notice of indie games coming out, etc. Gucamulee is a good game but there should be no excuses to recycling Max.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Ok THIS is what sucks about having all 4 consoles.

Same games appearing on multiple free game platforms. Damn it. Not going to start a new game of Guacamelee on One. Already have it on PS3 and Vita.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
There was also an expectation that with the "you 100% own it" switching to the PS+ method of owning it as long as you're subscribed, there'd be an increase in the $ value of individual 360 games offered but if anything it's gone down.

No the switching the PS PLus method was for the One. You still own on 360.

Jomjom

Banned
The people working in the Xbox division are all tainted and have no clue how to run it. Shitty sales, recycling Max, no advance notice of indie games coming out, etc. Gucamulee is a good game but there should be no excuses to recycling Max.

What about people who just got gold for the first time in July. That sounds like a pretty good reason.

Razdek

Banned
What about people who just got gold for the first time in July. That sounds like a pretty good reason.

Then those people would get another game other than Max. I'm sure a lot of people who buy Xbox Ones don't buy it so they can play Max and if they want it so bad they can pay for it.

stn

The selection for 360 is lacking. No retail title release? I'd take almost anything over 2 XBLA games, both of which I'll try but probably barely touch.

MrMatt555

people need to stop getting aggravated about the Max thing and realize that plus took time to really get going as well.. I was there right after e3 when they rolled out th service and you know what they had for free? avatar pictures. You know what they had for discounts? 2 years of extended PlayStation warranty. Give them time, sheesh....

MYeager

Guacamelee does not disappoint.

I was kind of disappointed. I love the art and it plays well, but after hearing how great it was I thought the metroidvania stuff felt too forced, like here are mystical blocks that impede your progress that are only there to impede your progress until you get an uppercut. Here's a different color of the same looking block, but this color can only be headbutted. Same goes with the enemies with different colored shields. Given how creative and amusing the game was otherwise I felt disappointed with how that creativity didn't stretch to make those things seem more natural to the setting and aesthetics of the game instead of just arbitrary video game contrivances.

Yay, free stuff though. I just got Battleblock on Steam but will still download this version and Gotham might be fun for a bit.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Damn, and people complain about not getting retail PS4 games? Sucks to be only getting one X1 game per month, but at least it's Guacamelee.
Don't know anything about Battleblock, and is anyone actually playing Gotham City Imposters? Wow, after coming off Street Fighter 4 AE and Dark Souls, this is a big downgrade.

Razdek

Banned
people need to stop getting aggravated about the Max thing and realize that plus took time to really get going as well.. I was there right after e3 when they rolled out th service and you know what they had for free? avatar pictures. You know what they had for discounts? 2 years of extended PlayStation warranty. Give them time, sheesh....

You must be joking. The way to do it right is there on PS+. We're not asking them to do anything different and their own way clearly sucks. If they're going to go a different route then they have to be better or equal than what's already out there which they're not.

Alchemy

We're not comparing Games with Gold to PS+ 2 years ago, we're comparing it to PS+ right now. No business has ever been excused for a sub par performance compared to its competitors simply because it is newer.

Maybe they ran into a last minute licensing issue with another title. We have no idea if this will be repeated or if it's a one time thing.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Is their a learning curve in providing a second free new gen game like PS Plus?

jond76

Banned
You know what's embarrassing? - people dropping into a thread and leaving hit and run, holier than thou posts to make themselves feel superior. No, actually it's pathetic.

I've posted a couple of other times in here, thanks. I'm commenting on really terrible attitudes where folks froth at the mouth that they are not getting enough free shit. You could always cancel your Gold sub, I think they are still prorating refunds.

A lot of the behavior in here is downright ugly. I read a thread like this , then move to a thread like the Gamestop $5 code farm-a-thon, then over to the Alien Isolation "devs are lazy because that aren't boosting ps4s graphics" whether or not the dev is happy with their own final product.

A good chunk of recent topics are awash in filth, and I'm calling it out. I read this shit and its no wonder that CliffyB feels compelled to tell us how his developer buddies feel.

Disappointing that it's not two games, but Gucamelee is really good and brand new. Is it possible to redeem X1 games through the store, even if you don't own the console (like it's done on PSN)?

Well technically it is two games just not two new games. As to your question, I'm pretty sure you can buy it on store.xbox.com or xbox.store.com...

Then those people would get another game other than Max. I'm sure a lot of people who buy Xbox Ones don't buy it so they can play Max and if they want it so bad they can pay for it.

So... Get rid of "free" games?

So correct me if I'm wrong here, but a friend of mine told me that Sony did the same thing with Resogun that MS is doing with Max by keeping it on. Is this true?

Top Bottom