• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Arcade (XBLA) News and Announcements Thread - 2012 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Will XBLA have the same deals as PS Play? I heard about their Summer deals awhile back.

XBLA is the "Summer of Arcade". It's 5 games. Buy 3 or more and you get $5 (400 points) back.

The titles are:
Tony Hawk Pro Skater HD - $15/1200 msp
Wreckateer - $10/800 msp
Deadlight - $15/1200 msp
Hybrid - $15/1200 msp
Dust: An Elysian Tail - $15/1200 msp

Grisby

Hhhhmmm Raskulls looks like good fun, almost bought it on the last sale. I don't have many gamer friends though. I imagine the servers are probably pretty empty for MP?

Feindflug

Don't forget to buy the DLC.

:D

Yep, Hydro Thunder is a great arcade racer and this gen we don't get many of those.

Definitely getting Toy Soldiers: Cold War at that price and maybe Hydrophobia, also got Spelunky last week and still haven't started it but the demo was awesome...I've spent more money & play time on XBLA this year than retail. :p

XBLA is the "Summer of Arcade". It's 5 games. Buy 3 or more and you get $5 (400 points) back.

The titles are:
Tony Hawk Pro Skater HD - $15/1200 msp
Wreckateer - $10/800 msp
Deadlight - $15/1200 msp
Hybrid - $15/1200 msp
Dust: An Elysian Tail - $15/1200 msp

Thats a great deal, Dust looks wonderful.

So I made this mistake.

I fired up that Specials Application in order to get Raskulls for 400 MS points. Everything was fine, I click on "buy this" the application lead me to a purchase confirmation, etc.

But when the download started it immediately finished. So I got it. I already had bought Raskulls some months back. I added it to my backlog and never played it.

The Application let me buy the game twice.

Anyway to complain without going to troubles with their phone hotline? I have an american account but do not live in US at the moment.

If you want a refund, you'll have to phone and kick up a fuss. You'll get nowhere over email.

I remember billing.microsoft.com having a chat option. I will try it tomorrow.

Those type of thing should not happen in the first place, and if happens it should be corrected automatically. Big boo for this "sales" application.

I have double billings multiple times with Live on windows phone (due to some incompleted transactions being billed) but they were refunded to me without any complain.

I'm probably going to buy Raskulls with the quickness, I always thought it was sort of a "what could happen" to Mr. Driller if Namco wasn't retarded and actually decided to move forward with a sequel instead of porting the exact same game (that is even less of a game than a previous entry) to every system.

One thing that annoys me though is that they have two DLC packs that are just character skins and have achievements tied to them. That's poor design! Achievements should just for gameplay/content DLC if they're going to go that way. Unless I'm mistaken and the DLCs have gameplay/content additions.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I remember billing.microsoft.com having a chat option. I will try it tomorrow.

Those type of thing should not happen in the first place, and if happens it should be corrected automatically. Big boo for this "sales" application.

I have double billings multiple times with Live on windows phone (due to some incompleted transactions being billed) but they were refunded to me without any complain.

It happens because the Sales + Specials app has exclusive pricing not available in the Marketplace.

Honestly, not knowing what games you own is kinda silly, right?

Sure, but the marketplace not knowing what games you own is even sillier, no?

I wonder if there is something else at play, like multiple profiles or something. I can't check tonight, but will looksee tomorrow.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm probably going to buy Raskulls with the quickness, I always thought it was sort of a "what could happen" to Mr. Driller if Namco wasn't retarded and actually decided to move forward with a sequel instead of porting the exact same game (that is even less of a game than a previous entry) to every system.

One thing that annoys me though is that they have two DLC packs that are just character skins and have achievements tied to them. That's poor design! Achievements should just for gameplay/content DLC if they're going to go that way. Unless I'm mistaken and the DLCs have gameplay/content additions.

Each DLC contains 4 new characters and 4 new tracks. Such as this info here for re-enforcements 1:

Today we can officially announce the release of the first downloadable content for our XBLA game Raskulls! Featuring a new Grand Prix and four extra characters, you can download it today for just 160 Microsoft Points – which also adds three new Achievements for 50 extra Gamerscore!

The extra Grand Prix, known as the Shiny Stone Cup, features four race levels and includes the new “Castle” environment! You can play these level both online and offline, using any of the previous characters or one of the new four.

As far as the "Double Purchase"... well, they need some kind of second / alt marketplace listing, in order to keep the sale "hidden" in the app. So to THEM, at least on the storefront side, you DON'T own that same item. Of course, it must be the same after download, as all the DLC and stuff still works with it.

I agree that SHOULDN'T happen, but I guess most console-side store are still kinda newbie at this stuff. I appreciate Live's nicely merged PC and Xbox stores even more after getting my Vita; Sony's PC store is largely worthless (It has nice "how to use with the vita!" screens, but it's a pain to even find PRICES, and forget easy-access actual screenshots, or simple listings of the DLC), and even the Vita's own store seems like it's just a holdover to make you get the "real" experience in a PS3 (which I don't own, so this is pretty annoying.)

Anyway, hopefully, the "Double Purchase" problem disappears as the App becomes more common. Something like this happened to someone here with the Pinball FX DLC too, right? So at least there's some history out there, should help them identify and fix the issue...

These little quirks come when companies try new things...

Draconian

I don't see Raskulls on the sales and specials + app anywhere. The only thing I see is all the Oblivion and Fallout 3 DLC. Am I doing something wrong here or am I just blind?

Vert boil

Released today,

boxartlg.jpg
boxartlg.jpg

Quantum Conundrum - 1200msp, 1.47GB.

Zuma’s Revenge! - 800msp, 374MB.

Also,

--Babel Rising: Sky’s the Limit - 240msp

Galdelico

Sure, but the marketplace not knowing what games you own is even sillier, no?
Yeah, it's not just the MP since I made the same mistake on PSN a few weeks ago with a DLC for Street Fighter X Tekken.
Ok, I've been retarded there but I just believe it's a matter of basic customers' care (even the stupidest ones, yeah): everything you download - no matter if by purchase or legit free codes - should be locked and impossible to buy again.

madmackem

Yeah, it's not just the MP since I made the same mistake on PSN a few weeks ago with a DLC for Street Fighter X Tekken.
Ok, I've been retarded there but I just believe it's a matter of basic customers' care (even the stupidest ones, yeah): everything you download - no matter if by purchase or legit free codes - should be locked and impossible to buy again.

You cant rebuy things on psn can you? it tells you you own it and has a red basket on the item dont it?.

Galdelico

You cant rebuy things on psn can you? it tells you you own it and has a red basket on the item dont it?.
Yeah you're right: what I bought again was in fact another item which contained the same items I already bought in the past (costumes, in that case).

Just to explain: during E3 I remember Capcom saying they would have sold their remaining SFXT DLCs sooner than originally planned.
Straight after the event they released a patch for the game and this 'new' DLC costumes pack for all the characters (it had a new icon and it didn't replace the 2 previous separate packs) so I assumed - stupid me - it would have been the second batch of crossover outfits.
Sadly, I only found out myself re-buying the first two crossover packs combined, which I already got months ago.

Point is: since when you buy 'complete packs' the PSN usually locks out all the related stuff with the same contents in it - see Soldner-X 2, Motorstorm, L.A. Noire... - I just expected that crossover pack to be automatically locked out in case it was old, hence my mistake (I realised it contained stuff I already got after my purchase).

Sorry for the wrong statement and for derailing a bit, I just wanted to explain.

Pooya

well, the achievements are leaked today, that makes it kinda official I guess :p
it's odd that CC2 is making a new fighting game for Bandai and porting the DC game for Capcom at the same time. ha

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Looking to pick something up today. I've been on a bit of a platforming/action fix lately. I recently played through Super Castlevania IV and Bionic Commando Rearmed. Are there other XBLA games similar to those?

Looking for something like that, or maybe a good RPG.

madmackem

Yeah you're right: what I bought again was in fact another item which contained the same items I already bought in the past (costumes, in that case).

Just to explain: during E3 I remember Capcom saying they would have sold their remaining SFXT DLCs sooner than originally planned.
Straight after the event they released a patch for the game and this 'new' DLC costumes pack for all the characters (it had a new icon and it didn't replace the 2 previous separate packs) so I assumed - stupid me - it would have been the second batch of crossover outfits.
Sadly, I only found out myself re-buying the first two crossover packs combined, which I already got months ago.

Point is: since when you buy 'complete packs' the PSN usually locks out all the related stuff with the same contents in it - see Soldner-X 2, Motorstorm, L.A. Noire... - I just expected that crossover pack to be automatically locked out in case it was old, hence my mistake (I realised it contained stuff I already got after my purchase).

Sorry for the wrong statement and for derailing a bit, I just wanted to explain.

Ahhh yeah i know what you mean, i have had something similar with ridge race on vita cluster fuck gold and silver passes on there.

Looking to pick something up today. I've been on a bit of a platforming/action fix lately. I recently played through Super Castlevania IV and Bionic Commando Rearmed. Are there other XBLA games similar to those?

Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 would be the obvious choice for XBLA game similar to Bionic Commando Rearmed...

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 would be the obvious choice for XBLA game similar to Bionic Commando Rearmed...

I was thinking about that but I heard it was pretty lackluster compared to Rearmed. I'll give it a shot though.

Not sure how many people got into the Beta, but what I played of Hybrid was pretty badass. If you're into shooters, I think you'd do well to check it out.

Guiz

Spelunky could be a good pick if you don't own it yet.

aku:jiki

I was thinking about that but I heard it was pretty lackluster compared to Rearmed. I'll give it a shot though.
It is. It's by a different developer that didn't get it as well as Grin did; just the fact that they threw in jumping and simplified level design is pretty awful. There is no rewarding challenge and instead it's just enormously long, and since there's no challenge it just feels like it never ends. If you care about the achievements, they require you to beat the entire game like 5 times, so that sucks too.

It happens because the Sales + Specials app has exclusive pricing not available in the Marketplace.

Either way, the system should have access to your account information and purchase history, it is just lazy programming.

Are you new to GAF? Our backlogs are huge, man, really huge.

Same thing happened to me with the Pinball FX2 Core Pack last week. They refunded me quickly after a phone call.

Hopefully I can try something over a webchat. Or I will have to fire up a Skype call later tonight.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think this is the stuff from the list that hasn't yet been released or dated:

Aero Cross
Alien Spidy
Battleblock Theatre
Behemoth Builder
Black Knight Sword
Bonk: Brink of Extinction
Capsized
Caveland
Crimson Dragon (Kinect)
Deep Black Episode 2
Doodles
Double Dragon 2
Double Fine Extra Happy Action Theatre
Dragons Crown
Dreamland Tennis
Dungeon Twister
Fantasy Life: Mabinogi
Fire Pro Wrestling
Fireburst
Girl Fight
Gottlieb Pinball
Hearts of Iron: Road to War
Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit
Jam
Jeremy McGrath's Offroad
Jewels Beat
Jigoku
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure HD
Kinect Rush: Snapshot (Kinect)
Kinectopia (Kinect)
King of Campus
Kingdom
Lips Live
Magical Drop V
Mertalocalypse
Monster Battle
MX Vs. ATV Alive: Tournament
Ninja Arcade
Purple Giraffe
Red Johnson's Chronicles: One Against All
Retro City Rampage
Rock Band Blitz
S (Double Fine)
Saints Row Moneyshot
Scourge: Outbreak
Skulls of the Shogun
Skykid
Sonic Adventure 2
Spongebob Gravjet Racing
Sword of Legend
Tetris Splash
The Mystery of Whiterock Castle
Topgun
Transcend
Warlords (Kinect)
Wild Rush
Wildlife: Forest Survival
Woman's Flat Track Derby Association: Rollerjam
WWE Wrestlefest
Zombie Driver HD

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Tetris Splash has been out since like 2009.

If you remove 'games we know about' the list gets even smaller. When you look at it then it makes me think it's quite an old list and a lot of the games have been canned since.

acm2000

Double Fine Extra Happy Action Theatre, Tetris Splash, Jeremy McGrath's Offroad, Kinect Rush: Snapshot (Kinect) are out already

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Double Fine Extra Happy Action Theatre, Tetris Splash, Jeremy McGrath's Offroad, Kinect Rush: Snapshot (Kinect) are out already

EXTRA is the key word. Might be a sequel.

Stuff like Saints Row: Moneyshot (released on PSN as a bonus), Kinect Rush: Snapshot (the name of the Rush demo), Top Gun {released 2010 on PSN, and a retail game since then), makes me question a lot of the oddities.

Bonk was also cancelled early last year... so this list is from what, Summer 2010?

EXTRA is the key word. Might be a sequel.

Stuff like Saints Row: Moneyshot (released on PSN as a bonus), Kinect Rush: Snapshot (the name of the Rush demo), Top Gun {released 2010 on PSN, and a retail game since then), makes me question a lot of the oddities.

Bonk was also cancelled early last year... so this list is from what, Summer 2010?

Schafer mentioned a sequel in an interview a couple of months ago so it could have been in the works for a while.

[source]

Also 'S' could potentially be 'The Cave', as in Ron's game?

Galdelico

I still don't get where this is. Do I have to download this app? Was on Live over the weekend looking for the deals and couldn't find them. Maybe I'm blind.
Same here, but I remember reading somewhere on GAF that you need to be UK/US resident (or have an UK/US account) in order to get the Sales app. Am I right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom