• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Arcade (XBLA) News and Announcements Thread - 2012 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hearing Deadlight is only a few hours long makes me happy. I have disdain for games that feel artificially longer than they should have been. I respect a developer who feels the same.

Hearing Deadlight is only a few hours long makes me happy. I have disdain for games that feel artificially longer than they should have been. I respect a developer who feels the same.

Yeah, this is definitely the thing. The fact that it's short isn't the issue in itself, as long as people know about it before they spend their 1,200 points on it and can make the decision to do so knowing what they're getting.

LuchaShaq

Banned
After watching the deadlight quicklook I can't see why people are excited.

Lazy/cheap/ugly motion comic cut scenes?

Zombie game #878534?

Rats steal guns/axes? (wtf)

Clumsy platforming?

Really really bad voice acting?

Can't think of how to make it less appealing at this point besides making it crash every 10 min.

Seems like something that would be 3$ on xblig not 15$ and on Summer of arcade.

Zombie game #878534?

Clumsy platforming?

Can't think of how to make it less appealing at this point besides making it crash every 10 min.

Didn't watch the quicklook, but goddamn yes...I was excited for this game...until Vinterbird impressions offcourse :D

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Zombie game #878534?

Clumsy platforming?

Living up to your avatar, I see.

iavi

Wow. And next to Dust, Deadlight was the only SOA game I was going to be getting this summer... I'll still give the demo a go, but these impressions are scathing.

I would urge you to try out the demo. It's apperantly a game you either like or not. I talked to Rlan yesterday and he's in the same camp as me, but others here don't agree.

So I would really recommend just giving the demo a go, and see what you end up feeling. I just hope the demo has some substance to it, so people can make a fair judgement.

I'll probably download the demo, but this has gone from a guaranteed day one purchase to possibly day one to wait for it to go on sale.

I've been very disappointed with this years SoA, hoping and praying that dust delivers.

Finished Might and Magic Clash of Heroes HD last night, finally. Freaking 30 something hours but I did everything in the SP. Fun game. I encourage anyone to give it a shot as the gameplay is pretty solid and I don't play many strategy games at all. Good for newbies.

Really glad you enjoyed it.

Also: HOLY CRAP DUST SOON SO EXCITED/READY FOR IT TO MASSAGE MY EYEBALLS!!!

Wow. And next to Dust, Deadlight was the only SOA game I was going to be getting this summer... I'll still give the demo a go, but these impressions are scathing.

Scathing?

One person is ripping into the game. Several others who have also played the game disagree with that person. Someone else also posted a review giving it a 9 out of 10, and the impressions are "scathing"?

lol

Yamibito

Zombie game #878534?

Clumsy platforming?

Hahaha that was a guy.

The production values look great besides the voice acting- you're overreacting just a tad.

The eight hours he claims in that is amazing :lol

I can't begin to imagine how you could pull eight hours out of this game. Even the collectibles aren't that hard to find.

Scathing?

One person is ripping into the game. Several others who have also played the game disagree with that person. Someone else also posted a review giving it a 9 out of 10, and the impressions are "scathing"?

lol

Well, me and Rlan whenever he decides to chime in with his opinion.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

Zombie game #878534?

Clumsy platforming?

Because the setting looked interesting and 2D action adventure isn't an over-saturated genre yet.

I think Dust and Hybrid are the SoA stand-outs this year but I still had a great time with the Deadlight floor demo. YMMV

Guys. Dead Light isn't a bad game but its one some people will really enjoy and others won't.
What IGN claims about people not seeing the ending, well I called it in my Lets Play I was filming the other day. I even say what I think is going to happen towards the end, and yep I got it.

As for the game itself, I really enjoyed it and I want to replay it. Seeing as its short and I missed some collectibles, I can give it another go. There was two parts I got stuck on and one I was doing the right thing and if it wasn't for fellow neogafferss I'd have been stuck until he suggested the answer and I retried it a few times and finally it "worked".

My DeadLight Video Review, (told ya its not a "normal" review) Now loading up my Lets Play.

Here is the start of my complete Lets Play DeadLight for those of you who are on the fence.

Guys. Dead Light isn't a bad game but its one some people will really enjoy and others won't.
What IGN claims about people not seeing the ending, well I called it in my Lets Play I was filming the other day. I even say what I think is going to happen towards the end, and yep I got it.

As for the game itself, I really enjoyed it and I want to replay it. Seeing as its short and I missed some collectibles, I can give it another go. There was two parts I got stuck on and one I was doing the right thing and if it wasn't for fellow neogafferss I'd have been stuck until he suggested the answer and I retried it a few times and finally it "worked".

My DeadLight Video Review, (told ya its not a "normal" review) Now loading up my Lets Play.

Here is the start of my complete Lets Play DeadLight for those of you who are on the fence.

I will not get this. Not my type of game.

Nice vids BTW ;)

I'll buy Deadlight, but not for 1200pts for such a short experience. When you compare that with what you get for 400pts from Telltale, it's just not worth it. It'll be on sale eventually and I'll grab it then.

DD-11

I'll buy Deadlight, but not for 1200pts for such a short experience. When you compare that with what you get for 400pts from Telltale, it's just not worth it. It'll be on sale eventually and I'll grab it then.

I find 1200 too much for almost any game on XBLA. I'm waiting on several to drop to 800 before I buy (Minecraft and Splunky most recently).

Rlan

I've played 2/3rds of Deadlight and I agree with Vinterbird. I think it's a pretty awful game. The silhouette art style is more of a hindrance that anything, making things that you can't jump on look like you can jump on them. Some of the choices in world rules are awful to watch
Randal can't swim, even in water that covers his head by just a few inches, ones that he can jump out of. Looks bad.
, terrible tutorial placement, buggy collision detection, nothing really redeeming at all.

Just feels like a slightly better looking version of that War Of The World game from last year, and that was pretty naff too.

Grisby

I dunno, I mean, Limbo was $15 at 3 something hours. I try not to equate quality to cost but I do like a meaty game.

GB's quick look is selling me though. Game has a really good style.

-GJ-

Just completed it. I thought the ending was alright. Nothing special. Loved playing every minute of it though. It was a very fun game to me :). My review will be up tomorrow or the day after. I'll post a link here then.

edit:

How do you unlock
the handhelds
? I have
0/3
and I didn't find 'em in the main game.

Galdelico

I still have to play the game (so, who knows, I may agree on some of the rest) but this sounds totally inappropriate: I'm not a huge fan of comic-style cutscenes in videogames but I find Deadlight's artwork really classy and beautifully drawn.

Jackson

WARNING - THIS SPOILER IS THE ENDING TO DEADLIGHT. DO NOT REVEAL.

The family he was looking for IS ALREADY DEAD. Because he killed them when the cataclysm happened. YAWN.

LOL! I was actually going to joke post in my question
"are the wife and son already dead?" Though, I thought they'd turn out to be zombies.

Jackson

BTW -- This is the worst reviewed SoA ever. Even if Hybrid and Dust review high, these 3 first games have pulled it way down.

I'm feeling pretty confident about Hybrid though. :) I'm very proud of it.

4Ju3C.png

Well if we're all sharing our Deadlight reviews, mine went up on XBLAFans.

I appear to be on the low end of the scale, which I find baffling. There are certainly things to like but not enough for some of the scores and reviews I'm reading. Jim Sterling's seems to be the only review from a big site that lines up with mine, which I was not expecting.

Super excited for Hybrid dude, really enjoyed the beta. Can't wait to play it again.

Rlan

BTW -- This is the worst reviewed SoA ever. Even if Hybrid and Dust review high, these 3 first games have pulled it way down.

Also based on my Leaderboard analysis for Wreckateer, they look like they're the worst selling. They only have 6,629 players on their Leaderboards.

Rlan

Tony Hawk did pretty well though, right?

Leaderboard wise it sis 98,743 in its first week for 132,598 players for the month. It's done well thanks to nostalgia, but the game is pretty buggy. I had a point where the game made me fly in the air for several minutes and couldn't land because I clipped through some geometry, and has one of the worst cases of "turn on ragdoll physics" I've ever seen.

That's a shame. It's actually a far better game than people might expect.

I saw some guy on twitter bigging it up like its the best Kinect game ever made. I slightly regret selling my Kinect but didn't use it enough.

Looking forward to at least trying Dust out.

I bought Jeremy Mcgrah's off road last week as felt that it was a well enough polished game for the points and it was good fun (graphics are impressive in places too) crappy menu and UI let's it down a little though. I've not bought any other XBLA game in the last 12 months after buying at least 1 a month for years.

I saw some guy on twitter bigging it up like its the best Kinect game ever made. I slightly regret selling my Kinect but didn't use it enough.

I bought Jeremy Mcgrah's off road last week as felt that it was a well enough polished game for the points and it was good fun (graphics are impressive in places too) crappy menu and UI let's it down a little though. I've not bought any other XBLA game in the last 12 months after buying at least 1 a month for years.

You really chose the wrong game to break your fast on, there's been so many amazing games this year.

That's a shame. It's actually a far better game than people might expect.

I agree. Wreckateer is one of the best Kinect only games.

You bought Jeremy McGrath, but not Trials Evolution?

facepalm.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom