• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Arcade (XBLA) News and Announcements Thread - 2012 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raskulls is pretty bad. It was very close to last place aswell in the Most Popular tab here in Australia.

No. Raskulls is awesome and has very fun MP.

i just went on a shopping spree

Sine Mora
Alan Wake American Nightmare
Porsche expansion for Forza 4
Assault Heroes 2
Geometry Wars 2
Bloodforge
Warp
Sonic 4 episode II

I think i'm set until the holidays :)

You poor thing ;_;

ektoll

Damn it microsoft!

I want Alan Wake: AN, there are 600pts sitting in my account but since I'm not gold, I can't buy it. :mad:

IIRC, 24h pass don't grant you the possibility to buy the DOTW, right? So, where can I buy the cheapest 1 month pass?

Not sure about Stacking. I didn't have enough patience for the demo, so I'm not sure it makes sense for me to buy it, despite the ridiculous price.

I don't think Stacking's a very good game, but it's still worth 300 points to dip into for 20 minutes now and then.

overcast

So guys, any ideas on a Co-Op game to play with my GF? We have beaten Trine 2 and Scott Pilgrim together. We enjoyed SP more.

Recently beat Rayman Origins as far as retail games go (we both had a blast with it).

What are the best co-op XBLA has to offer?

So guys, any ideas on a Co-Op game to play with my GF? We have beaten Trine 2 and Scott Pilgrim together. We enjoyed SP more.

Recently beat Rayman Origins as far as retail games go (we both had a blast with it).

Got Castle Crashers?

Card Boy

Banned
I'm abit disappointed in Geometry Wars 2. I thought it was gonna be like the DS/Wii version where you get those Perks/power ups and assumed it would of had different map sizes, planets and map shapes.

Most of the beat em ups are co-op, Castle Crashers and Guardian Heroes would maybe be the most fun when viewed without nostolgia goggles.

For platformers, there's Spelunky. Splosion Man and Ms. Splosion Man also have separate co-op level sets.

Of the stuff that's on sale right now, Simpsons Arcade and Rocket Riot have full co-op. (So do the Sonic 4 games, but well...)

Vert boil

Released today,

boxartlg.jpg
boxartlg.jpg

Dogfight 1942 - 1200msp, 1.99GB.
Kung Fu Strike: The Warrior's Rise - 800msp, 535MB.

Also,

Pinball FX2
--Plants vs. Zombies Table - 240msp

JAM Live Music Arcade
--Three music packs

-----

Looks like the L.A. Noire pass is a one day sale. Grab it in the next few hours if you want it. Full price again now.

Mortal Kombat
--Season Pass - 600msp (was 1200) **Likely a one day sale**

Is your girlfriend newer to gaming or also into all sorts? I think Perfect Dark is really fun in co-op, not to mention counter-ops is really amusing as well. Figured I'd suggest this since most people ignore it when talking about co-op Xbox Live Arcade titles.

Assault Heroes 1 and 2 are both on sale for 200 points this week and are also co-op and decent. I think they get a bit boring unless played in short bursts but I haven't played the second and reviews make it sound like there's some improvement.

Oh, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is fantastic. I loved that game.

Feindflug

Get both Assault Heroes games for 400 points - they are really fun at co-op, also 'Splosion Man, Castle Crashers & Lara Croft: TGOL are great co-op games.

Mr YuYu

Tomb Raider: Guardian of light. My girlfriend loved this game!!

ShogunX

Sega-Vintage-Collections-Covers.jpg

Both 800 points each and both contain three games to work your way through on co-op.

bradigor

There's a game that really shouldn't have gone for the "but everyone else is doing it!" 1200MSP price point. I'm betting it gets like 100 sales.

The 1200MSP will put people off and is a bit high. However, the game itself isn't too bad. Shame about the lack of online.

Card Boy

Banned
Both 800 points each and both contain three games to work your way through on co-op.

Better off buying the Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection instead. I'm very sure it's dirt cheap by now.

Mega Drive/Genesis games (40 total)

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Alien Storm
Altered Beast
Beyond Oasis/The Story of Thor
Bonanza Bros.
Columns
Comix Zone
Decap Attack
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Dynamite Headdy
Ecco the Dolphin
Ecco: The Tides of Time
ESWAT: City Under Siege
Fatal Labyrinth
Flicky
Gain Ground
Golden Axe
Golden Axe II
Golden Axe III

Kid Chameleon
Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium
Ristar
Shining Force: The Legacy of Great Intention
Shining Force II: The Ancient Seal
Shining in the Darkness
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Sonic & Knuckles
Sonic 3D Flickies Island/Blast
Sonic Spinball
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3

Super Thunder Blade
Vectorman
Vectorman 2

Unlockable extra games (9 total)

Alien Syndrome (arcade)
Altered Beast (arcade)
Congo Bongo (arcade) (under original title "Tip Top" in some regions)
Fantasy Zone (arcade)
Golden Axe Warrior (Sega Master System)
Phantasy Star (Sega Master System)
Shinobi (arcade)
Space Harrier (arcade)
Zaxxon (arcade)

ShogunX

Better off buying the Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection instead. I'm very sure it's dirt cheap by now.

Good shout but as far as I know the Vintage collection has a little more care put into it and isn't using the backbone emulator that everyone hated. Still as long as the Ultimate Collection has online and local co-op then like you say it definitely offers the better value.

Rlan

No online in the Ultimate Collection I'm afraid, and the emulation is of lower quality than the more recent crop of Vintage Collections from SEGA.

As for cooperative XBLA games:

Alien Hominid HD
Bionic Commando Rearmed and Rearmed 2
Guardian Heroes
Lara Croft: Guardian Of Light
Marathon: Durandal
N+
Shank 2
Spelunky
Toy Soldiers: Cold War
Perfect Dark
Serious Sam: The Second Encounter
The Simpson's Arcade Game
Fruit Ninja Kinect!
The Fancy Pants Adventure
Splosion Man
Ms Splosion Man
Outland
ilomilo
Crimson Alliance
Iron Brigade (I think)
A World Of Keflings
Dungeon Defenders

Schizoid, always forgotten but a cool co-operative experience, give the demo a try, gets you on your toes as you need to protect each other.
Will also say Lara Croft and Guardian of Light is a fantastic co-op game, right amount of co-op platforming, puzzle and action. Really enjoyed that.
Outland, haven't played too much of this yet in co-op.
Splosion Man and Ms. Splosion Man if you like co-op platformers OH and N+ as well.

Lima

Outland is very confusing in co-op. At least it was for me. But then I always have problems with co-op in 2D games because I always forget which character I control.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Good shout but as far as I know the Vintage collection has a little more care put into it and isn't using the backbone emulator that everyone hated. Still as long as the Ultimate Collection has online and local co-op then like you say it definitely offers the better value.
The Backbone problems came from their single releases early on in the cycle (2007's Genesis releases). 2009's Ultimate Collection is much better, and a great price. No online play, however.

surly

Banned
Anyone bought that Kung Fu Strike game?

I tried the demo and I really like the combat system! It seems overly simplistic when you first play, but once you figure out the range of things you can do it feels really fluid and it's very satisfying when you kick the ass of about 8 doods at once.

The only thing I didn't like about the demo is that it locks out the upgrade and item menus - it would be nice to see what's in there, because my one worry is whether the game would get repetitive quite quickly.

There's a review here where it gets 7/10: -

http://www.platformnation.com/2012/09/05/kung-fu-strike-the-warriors-rise-review-xbla/

overcast

Tomb Raider: Guardian of light. My girlfriend loved this game!!

Got Castle Crashers?

Is your girlfriend newer to gaming or also into all sorts? I think Perfect Dark is really fun in co-op, not to mention counter-ops is really amusing as well. Figured I'd suggest this since most people ignore it when talking about co-op Xbox Live Arcade titles.

Assault Heroes 1 and 2 are both on sale for 200 points this week and are also co-op and decent. I think they get a bit boring unless played in short bursts but I haven't played the second and reviews make it sound like there's some improvement.

Oh, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is fantastic. I loved that game.
Thanks for all the responses guys. She is relatively new to gaming, trying to get her to play all types of games and we've done well thus far. Definitely considered Castle Crashers and Lara Croft. Only thing is, isn't Lara Croft online Co-op only? I absolutely love Perfect Dark, so I have considered that as well. I loved Splosion Man too, very fun game. Never played Ms. Splosion Man.

Thanks for all the responses guys. She is relatively new to gaming, trying to get her to play all types of games and we've done well thus far. Definitely considered Castle Crashers and Lara Croft. Only thing is, isn't Lara Croft online Co-op only? I absolutely love Perfect Dark, so I have considered that as well. I loved Splosion Man too, very fun game. Never played Ms. Splosion Man.

My girlfriend adores both Splosion Man games, Castle Crashers, and Ilomilo. Especially for a 'new' gamer, Ilomilo is a great "couple" game.

ShogunX

Bought Rocket Riot for 200 points and I don't think the online works?

Tried to access multiplayer and it tells me to sign into a Gold enabled account. Is this an known issue or has the multiplayer been shut down?

aku:jiki

Bought Rocket Riot for 200 points and I don't think the online works?

Tried to access multiplayer and it tells me to sign into a Gold enabled account. Is this an known issue or has the multiplayer been shut down?
You need to sign out of your gamertag, start the game and sign in again on the main menu. But there's no one online to play multiplayer with you anyway.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Anyone bought that Kung Fu Strike game?

I tried the demo and I really like the combat system! It seems overly simplistic when you first play, but once you figure out the range of things you can do it feels really fluid and it's very satisfying when you kick the ass of about 8 doods at once.

The only thing I didn't like about the demo is that it locks out the upgrade and item menus - it would be nice to see what's in there, because my one worry is whether the game would get repetitive quite quickly.

There's a review here where it gets 7/10: -

http://www.platformnation.com/2012/09/05/kung-fu-strike-the-warriors-rise-review-xbla/
I played the PC demo and it's probably one of, if not the best beat em up released this year. But it looks really weird at 30fps because it moves so fast. It's extremely chaotic. The PC version has an unlocked framerate.

The new PFX2 PvZ table is nice-looking and -sounding, but really boring to play. Meant for kids or casual players, I guess. The squeaky "C-c-c-combo!" sample is funny, though.

Kung-Fu Strike is pretty fun, though it has some serious spikes in difficulty at every new level, starting with the swordsman fight on the rooftop. At least, its fighting system is mildly different than most and it is satisfying to nail counter/blocks in succession.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

If you don't have Castle Crashers it should immediately become your next purchase.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

Schizoid, Splosion Man, and N+.

I'm surprised to say that I am finding the demo for Kung Fu Strike to be pretty fun. It feels pretty good to play as well. I might end up getting this during a sale. It sounds like the PC version is better with the unlocked framerate so maybe on Steam instead.

Fonz72

I may go with Castle Crashers. Ilomilo looks very interesting. That's up there too.

So can I play Lara Croft offline co-op? Pretty confused by what I read online.

Yes, Lara Croft HAS offline co-op. Castle Crashers is great, my wife doesn't game much and loves grinding xp in it.

nullref

Check out Renegade Ops.

Lima

Yeah, in fact it only had offline co-op for several months if I can remember correctly.

Yes they patched in the online co-op a couple months down the line.

Close to finishing Joe Danger. Those last directors cut levels are a bitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom