• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Arcade (XBLA) News and Announcements Thread - 2012 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I see limbo on sale and I hear it's awesome. So limbo or fez? Really enjoyed dead light but I hear it drops off dramatically in the second half.

Limbo is a good game with interesting atmosphere worth playing through. It fits somewhere in the top tier of independent 2D puzzle-platformers. I liked about 3/4s of the "levels" (the forest, which is the game's opening chapter, is probably the best part of the game). It can be finished in maybe 4-5 hours.

Deadlight is short but a good "clunky platformer". The last 20 minutes of the game have some annoying trial and error segments that aren't difficult but that require you dying and failing a few times to figure out what to do. The first third of the game and then again from about 66-80% of the way through the game is excellent. Speedrunning the game once you've finished it is very fun, and I also had a good time finding the collectibles.

Fez is spectacular, a stunning achievement in gaming. Many of its ideas are unprecedented in the realm of gaming. If you think Fez is a puzzle platformer with a 3d/2d mechanic like Crush or Super Paper Mario, you're dead wrong. That's the first quarter-to-third of the game. It's also an utter triumph of an adventure game in the mold of the best classics of the genre. It's the first video game in maybe 15 years where I took pages and pages of notes to get through. The rabbit-hole is so deep. Clues are hidden all over the game that only become apparent after you've finished the game at least once, and maybe not even then. There are puzzles that will break your brain. Don't use a FAQ. If you can't figure something out, move on, and don't ask or look for help until you're sure you've solved everything you can in the whole game world.

As I understand it, there's one puzzle that still hasn't been solved--a team of online players brute-forced the solution by pushing random buttons until they figured it out, but even now no one knows how the puzzle was actually intended to be solved.

The thing that struck me the most as I was playing it was homages to 2001: A Space Odyssey and Flatland. The game never really makes it 100% explicit, and 99% of the people playing it wouldn't be aware that it was anything, but Fish clearly did a lot of reading and watching and reflection when coming up with his game world.

If I had to pick one of the three, I'd pick Fez.

mujun

I am so pissed that I bought Bloodforge, not to mention that I did so at full price just before the sale. It's my own fault, of course. The game is just so bad. So janky, repetitive and downright not fun.

I am so pissed that I bought Bloodforge, not to mention that I did so at full price just before the sale. It's my own fault, of course. The game is just so bad. So janky, repetitive and downright not fun.

Yeah, the demo showed exactly this for me. Kung Fu Strike, however, is quite good and fun for melee, if a bit old-school frustrating (in the mostly good way). Haven't regretted picking it up.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Yeah, the demo showed exactly this for me. Kung Fu Strike, however, is quite good and fun for melee, if a bit old-school frustrating (in the mostly good way). Haven't regretted picking it up.
Yeah, Kung Fu Strike is the business. It's like someone made a game out of the burly brawl in The Matrix: Reloaded.

The Splatters is pretty great too. It's half off right now. But there's an improved PC version coming so it may be better to wait it out.

Draconian

You'll get better. :)

Did you unlock all of the modes? Which one is your favorite? Me, I'm a Waves guy. Love me some Waves.

Waves is fun. It gets chaotic pretty fast though lol. I like the idea of pacifism, I'm just probably the worst at that. I like deadline because I can die an unlimited number of times. Tbh all the modes are pretty fun. I just need to get to the point where I don't die in a way where it's clear I could've easily gotten out of it.

triggaz

Banned

Just played the demo of this loved it. If Asura Wrath had this combat system it wouldve been awesome!

mujun

That game is on my "might buy" list. I'll see how I go at the game store today, if they don't have anything might grab it.

Rlan

First Homerun Stars screenshots

boxartlg.jpg

DEVELOPER: Smoking Gun Interactive Inc.
PUBLISHER: Microsoft Studios
GENRE: Sports & Recreation, Kinect

Step up to the plate and swing for the fence in Home Run Stars, featuring Avatar Fame Star! Progress through the League mode through all three unique stadiums! Each one features a vast number of spectacular targets to aim for and earn big points. Compete with your friends in multiplayer for the highest score. Use your device supported by SmartGlass to compete in a Duel with a friend!

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Home-Run-Stars/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258411266

screenlg1.jpg

screenlg2.jpg

screenlg3.jpg

screenlg4.jpg

screenlg5.jpg

screenlg6.jpg

screenlg7.jpg

overcast

Hey guys, if I delete a game can I re-download it with my account? Or no? I am running out of room, and Trine 2 takes a gig.

Lakitu

st5fu
Well, I guess I'll post this in here. I'm going to catch up on some XBLA titles that I've missed out on due to not paying much attention this past year. Any recommendations GAF? I just bought American Nightmare and Mark of the Ninja.

jbug617

Banned
Well, I guess I'll post this in here. I'm going to catch up on some XBLA titles that I've missed out on due to not paying much attention this past year. Any recommendations GAF? I just bought American Nightmare and Mark of the Ninja.

Trials Evolution
Fez
Spelunky
Dust: an elysian tail

Zia

Fez, Spelunky, Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown and Trials Evolution are all modern classics.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Out this week:

Double Dragon Neon - 800 MSP - Wednesday 12th September

boxartlg.jpg

Billy and Jimmy Lee are back to save their shared love interest, Marian from the evil Skullmageddon across 16 brawling levels filled with elaborate missions, malicious enemies and over-the-top battles. Trained by their sensei in a special form of martial arts, Billy and Jimmy are equipped with lethal combat skills and weaponry to bust some faces and battle the baddest goons around as they journey across the galaxy to rescue the love of their lives.

Red Johnson's Chronicles - 800 MSP - Wednesday 12th September

boxartlg.jpg

Get ready to solve a unique puzzle-based investigation that will immerse you in a noir world. Red Johnson, one of the best private investigators in Metropolis City has recently gained a fame that turns out to be deadly. A price on his head and a brother that has been abducted will force him to give the best of himself. To sort out this situation, you will need to use you wit, your persuasion skills and even your fists sometimes.

Joe Danger 2 The Movie - 1200 MSP - Friday 14th September

boxartlg.jpg

Download and play an exhilarating journey through the greatest action movie ever made, starring the world’s greatest stuntman and action hero Joe Danger. Take on Team Nasty in the Movie and Deleted Scene modes, then let your creativity work in the Movie Maker and four way Multiplayer modes to create cinematic history and entertain millions over Xbox Live!

Just curious if anyone else that bought three or more Summer of Arcade titles got an extra boost in points? I noticed I had a bunch more points than expected and after checking my points history they added 400 points four times in a row today. I can only guess it's due to the Summer of Arcade promotion.

I immediately bought Mark of the Ninja before the points went away.

Just curious if anyone else that bought three or more Summer of Arcade titles got an extra boost in points? I noticed I had a bunch more points than expected and after checking my points history they added 400 points four times in a row today. I can only guess it's due to the Summer of Arcade promotion.

That's definitely happened at least once in the past, guess it's just a quirk in their system. Good call on grabbing Mark of the Ninja too!

That's definitely happened at least once in the past, guess it's just a quirk in their system. Good call on grabbing Mark of the Ninja too!

Yeah, last time was that month where you got something like 5% back on what you spent for the month and most people got like four to six times that back in points. I made out like a bandit that time.

I've been wanting to buy Mark of the Ninja since it came out but I figured I'd wait until after playxbla.com's weekend achievement challenge to see if I won (and then was going to see if I could ask for Mark of the Ninja as one of the prize games since it's published by Microsoft but not yet listed on the site. Good work, official blog!) Game sound amazing and it's been tough holding out for a few days. But now I get it "for free" with 400 points to spare.

Holy shit thank you for bringing this up! I got like 4x the points as well. Is there a possibility that they can take take away the accidental extra points or do I have them for good?

I've pretty much bought everything that I've ever wanted on the store.

Edit - Okay I really need help since I don't know if I will still have these points by Friday for Joe Danger: The Movie or next week for Jet Set Radio HD. If I won't for either then I'm torn between getting Joe Danger: SE or the 3 Walking Dead episodes that are out now (would rather get it on PC). I'm completely torn on what to do!

Holy shit thank you for bringing this up! I got like 4x the points as well. Is there a possibility that they can take take away the accidental extra points or do I have them for good?

I've pretty much bought everything that I've ever wanted on the store.

Edit - Okay I really need help since I don't know if I will still have these points by Friday for Joe Danger: The Movie or next week for Jet Set Radio HD. If I won't for either then I'm torn between getting Joe Danger: SE or the 3 Walking Dead episodes that are out now (would rather get it on PC). I'm completely torn on what to do!

I found the thread from August of last year when it happened previously and people did have their points taken away that weren't spent. I'd strongly suggest you find something to spend the extra points on tonight as I don't suspect Microsoft will sit on it for long.

Erekiddo

I also received 400 pts x 4. I initially thought it was someone FIFA'ing me, so I went in and changed my password. I was checking my e-mail to see if I had received any purchase confirmations, and I hadn't.

It dawned on me that it was probably a glitched promotion. You guys verified it.

Mark of the Ninja is downloading as I type this.

Rlan

A real weird game got added to Xbox.com

boxartlg.jpg

Humanity discovered a new galaxy rich with resources and wonders and it's up to you to conquer it! Guide your space fleet through the depth of space, discovering new star systems and colonizing planets. Beware, you are not alone in the universe and other races also starve for living space and are ready to fight for it. Not to mention mysterious treasures, dark secrets, treacherous rivals and Bosses! Planets Under Attack is a fast and fun strategy game, easy to understand and to control, offering dozens of hours of tactical fun.

* Campaign consisting of 32 levels and multiple game modes
* Epic boss battles and Incredible alien foes
* Powerful techs to improve your strategies
* Online and offline Multiplayer for up to 4 players
* Team multiplayer
* 2 playable races

screenlg1.jpg

screenlg2.jpg

screenlg3.jpg

screenlg4.jpg

screenlg5.jpg

screenlg6.jpg

screenlg7.jpg

screenlg8.jpg

screenlg9.jpg

screenlg10.jpg

Vert boil

**Double check prices before buying. Updates have been bodged today.

DOTW - pop'n cap

Astropop - 400msp (was 800)
Bejeweled 3 - 400msp (was 1200)
Bejeweled Blitz Live - 200msp (was 400)
Feeding Frenzy - 200msp (was 400)
Feeding Frenzy 2 - 400msp (was 800)
Heavy Weapon - 400msp (was 800)
Peggle - 400msp (was 800)
--Peggle Nights - 200msp (was 400)
Plants vs. Zombies - 600msp (was 1200)
Zuma - 200msp (was 400)

-----

Kinect Central
Rhythm Party (Boom Boom Dance) - 400msp (was 800)

-----

Happy Tree Friends: False Alarm - 400msp (was 800)
Sonic Adventure - 400msp (was 800)
--DX Upgrade - 200msp (was 400)

Raiden IV - 1600msp/19.99$ (was 3200) (US only, region and probably IP locked)
Quite a few other GoD reductions as well.

Sales & Specials+ App (Mystery Wheel now available)
Forza 4
--July Car Pack - 280msp (was 560)
--Meguiar's Car Pack - 280msp (was 560)
--Porsche Expansion Pack - 800msp (was 1600)

Chain Reaction, Battlefield Bad Company 2. Vietnam - 800msp (was 1200) > SPECAT Upgrade Bundle - 160msp (was 480) > Onslaught Mode - 200msp (was 400) > Kit Shortcut Bundle - free (was 1200)

mujun

A real weird game got added to Xbox.com

Game looks awesome if you ask me. Problem is that it looks like a Galcon game and I find that they can be fun or insanely boring. Maybe if they have added some extra depth it'll be worth picking up.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Did AstroPop ever get updated?

It had that weird 50/60Hz error when using a VGA cable which meant you had to plug in an SD lead, change the Xbox to 60Hz, then plug back in to VGA to play.

Lima

Bought Mad Riders while it was still on sale and got the Raven Strike DLC for Ghost Recon.

Try to take the points away from me now suckers!

aww if I had known microsoft would cock up giving out too many points again I would have bought more summer games :p last time it happened when rewards.xbox.com gave out the month's points to people but 4 to 6 times too much.

Vert boil

They haven't finished updating yet so something is buggered over there.

The sales & specials+ app updated and the Mystery Wheel game is now available.

You have to buy spins for 80msp but it appears that you win every time. At the moment eight pieces of avatat can be won. Rules state that if you don't use the spins before the expiry date then you lose them, no refunds.

PopfulMail

Went ahead and checked my points after the mentions in the thread and found myself with 1600 extra also. Went with Mark of the Ninja as well. Thanks for the heads up all...

Lima

what is this sales & specials app I keep seeing around gaf, is it an xbox american app or something?

It is only available in the US and UK right now. You can download it and use it on your main account as well but they recently changed it so that your account needs gold to even download the app.

So you need to have an US or UK account with gold.

I bought 3 summer of arcade games and I had 1600 points added to my account this morning.

Interestingly, I also had 460 points added to my account a few weeks ago, and I assumed that was from the SoA deal.

I'm scrambling to spend them now, before it's too late. ;)

Yeah... I had picked up 3 of the SoA games.

Trying to figure out what to spend the other 400 on just in case they pull them....

I'm actually trying to do the exact same thing right now! I'm thinking Splatters is the best option at the moment.

Anyone got any quick suggestions? I need to make this choice ASAP.

PopfulMail

I really enjoyed Splatters... Have you checked the demo? Is it still on sale?

I just went ahead and picked up a few Rock Band tracks with my extra points.

I really enjoyed Splatters... Have you checked the demo? Is it still on sale?

I just went ahead and picked up a few Rock Band tracks with my extra points.

Yeah, I thought the demo was pretty interesting when it came out. It's only 400 points right now.

Anyone got any good 800 points suggestions?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Nyx

Awesomenauts!

Anyone got any good 800 points suggestions?

Depending on how much you already own there should be a lot for 800 points. As for me I spent my extra 400 rewarded points (and 400 of my own) on Kung Fu Strike since the few reviews seemed pretty positive and the Quick Look on Giantbomb.com looked really enjoyable. I was considering the Monster World Collection as well for 800 points but figured I'd never get to those.

If you don't own that many games I'm sure we could get you a better list of 800 point games, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom