• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live coming to the PC

Soon any device that Microsoft makes will be an "Xbox", if this news is any indication.

Dude 1: "Hey man, your new PC looks awesome!"
Dude 2: "That's not a PC, it's an Xbox! Oh, hold on a second, I need to answer my Xbox phone."

I don't really understand the point, but okay. I mean, I understand jettisoning the failed Games for Windows brand in favor of a different, more successful brand. However, after the spectacular failure that was Games for Windows Live, they've got their work cut out for them. It's going to take more than a rebranding and OS integration for them to make this a winner.

Then again, I don't really see this as a bad thing. Regardless of whether I trust the motivations of these companies, the fact that Microsoft and EA are focusing on digital PC platforms I think represents a good movement for PC gaming as a whole.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
Houston3000 said:
You all realize that GFWL is still around and kicking right? I mean, it's absolutely a shitty shitty abomination but games as recent as Dirt 3 and Red Faction: Armageddon shipped with it a couple weeks ago . Tons of games use that crap - all the shitty Capcom ports (Dead Rising 2 for example), Codemaster games, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, the last two Red Faction games, etc. It's still around, it won't die.

:(

Microsoft's moneyhats are like a T-virus for GFWL

Interfectum

The_Darkest_Red said:
Soon any device that Microsoft makes will be an "Xbox", if this news is any indication.

Dude 1: "Hey man, your new PC looks awesome!"
Dude 2: "That's not a PC, it's an Xbox! Oh, hold on a second, I need to answer my Xbox phone."

No, I think it's going to be more like Zune and Skype. Xbox is becoming a software service and the brand they use for interactive entertainment. Kinda like how Zune went from being an mp3 player to a music/movie service on xbox. At least that's how I'm seeing it so far.

Think about it like... You get a Windows Phone that features Xbox Live, Zune and Skype.

kadotsu said:
If live arcade makes it to PCs there will be no reason for me to own a current or future XBOX.

Pacman CE DX on PC? Yes please! Not to mention all those Indie Arcade games. Of course, I'm dreaming here.

dionysus

Yaldog
Alien Bob said:
Microsoft's moneyhats are like a T-virus for GFWL

Any proof of this. All indications are that MS doesen't give 2 shits about PC gaming, so I don't think they moneyhat anything.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
dionysus said:
Any proof of this. All indications are that MS doesen't give 2 shits about PC gaming, so I don't think they moneyhat anything.

I'd give you proof, but they gave me a moneyhat to destroy it all

Mrbob

mclaren777 said:
All I really want are XBL Indie Games on PC. They can keep the rest.

Cthulhu Saves the World is coming to Steam soon. :D

Don't even need XBL Indie games on PC. Don't need XBLA either. Devs just need to get their games up on Steam.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Will every country be supported now?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Mrbob said:

Don't even need XBL Indie games on PC. Don't need XBLA either. Devs just need to get their games up on Steam.
Exactly.

Minsc

Gold Member
XBLA on the PC would definitely get me to pay attention, it could even require a 360 pad for all I care. Make it happen!

Mrbob said:

True, but there's a ton of wonderful stuff tied up in XBLA that I don't ever see coming to Steam (ever). Getting it through MS would be the only way I think, and the content would be worth it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Mrbob said:

Exactly.

Heysoos

Jesus Christ, we have no idea how exactly this is going to be implemented and people are already overreacting.

Q: Will Xbox offer games on certified phones, similar to what Sony's PlayStation is doing with Android phones?

A: We think there's a lot of potential on the Windows phones. With the Nokia relationship, we're going to have a lot more distribution of phones and Live will be the primary entertainment service. I think that's going to be a good play for us.

If we have that and the PCs to leverage, that will be a big Live base. It's our job to make "buy a movie in one place and play it everywhere, buy a game in one place and play it everywhere." Making things portable will be a big focus of ours.
Hell, this actually sounds kind of cool.

JaggedSac

There won't be any difference from a gaming aspect from this. Just merely for movies probably and leveraging cloud game saves. PC Live gaming already utilizes the same databases as XBox Live gaming.

sleepykyo

MrPing1000 said:
Could Microsoft even do this in Europe?

Could see them getting into trouble... again.

Why not? That slap on wrist over bundling seemed like a good exchange for Netscape dying off and IE becoming the standard.

Stumpokapow said:
RF:A isn't GFWL, it is Steamworks.

New Vegas isn't GFWL, it is Steamworks.
Shit, you're right I even have New Vegas... fixed. Still, my point stands, it's still around unfortunately. Just this year Dirt 3, Bulletstorm, Section 8, Fable III, etc. Games like SSIV:AE, Dead Rising 2 OTR, F1 2011, whatever that new AoE game is and probably some more that are announced will have it as well.

gillty

Banned
It's not about gaming, it's about selling movies and crap.

Sounds like all of that msn messenger, skydrive, hotmail aka windows live mail, are all truly being integrated into Live.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Neuromancer said:
As an Xbox Live user, I would like to extend a warm greeting to my PC friends, soon to be my brothers!
PC guys will always see you as the bastard half-brother.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Heysoos said:
Jesus Christ, we have no idea how exactly this is going to be implemented and people are already overreacting.

We know its MS, we know they made GFWL, and we know they have done negative good things for PC gamers in the past decade.

sleepykyo said:
Why not? That slap on wrist over bundling seemed like a good exchange for Netscape dying off and IE becoming the standard.

$1.4billion is a slap on the wrist? :p

Although I don't think they've actually paid it yet, still appealing after all these years.

coopolon

Heysoos said:

I'd really like it if more XBLA games come to GFWL/Xbox Live on PC, so if that is something they're going to push with this then I'm a-okay with that. This is especially true for some games that Microsoft themselves published that are never going to come otherwise.

Oreoleo

coopolon said:
I'd really like it if more XBLA games come to GFWL/Xbox Live on PC, so if that is something they're going to push with this then I'm a-okay with that. This is especially true for some games that Microsoft themselves published that are never going to come otherwise.

That's how I feel too. If it means more PC games we wouldn't otherwise get, I'm all for it.

Interfectum said:
No, I think it's going to be more like Zune and Skype. Xbox is becoming a software service and the brand they use for interactive entertainment. Kinda like how Zune went from being an mp3 player to a music/movie service on xbox. At least that's how I'm seeing it so far.

Think about it like... You get a Windows Phone that features Xbox Live, Zune and Skype.

Sounds like Xbox live is becoming the new zune marketplace to me. He didn't come out and say Zune was done but it sure seemed like it.
Q: I don't think I heard the "Z" word in the keynote. Are you phasing out the Zune brand?

In general I think what you're going to see is us talking about 'music' and 'video.' I think what we're coming to the realization about is putting brands on top of brands on top of brands is not as, you know - if you want to look for music, just knowing it's under a category (music) is a good thing.

Q: Will Xbox Live be your cloud media service that works with your Windows PC as well as your phone and Xbox?

Xbox Live will the pervasive media service across devices.

Orayn

Sounds like something I'll be disabling with
Code:
Windows + r
Msconfig
And using occasionally, and only when I feel like it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Minsc said:
True, but there's a ton of wonderful stuff tied up in XBLA that I don't ever see coming to Steam (ever). Getting it through MS would be the only way I think, and the content would be worth it.

I'm not sure I agree with that assessment.

Consider, say, Cloning Clyde. Came out exclusively through XBLA in 2005. Pseudo-published by MS like most Indie games on XBLA. Showed up on Steam recently, maybe late 2010 or early 2011.

I've got maybe 100 XBLA games and I would say of the ones that are good or better in quality and originally exclusive to XBLA, almost all of them have eventually made it out to PC or should make it out to PC or some later iteration of them that is at least as good will make it out to PC.

I'm scanning my head for obvious counter-examples. Splosion Man hasn't made it to PC even though The Maw did from the same team. Limbo just showed up on the Steam registry recently. Hmmm.

Man

Valve will forever be exclusive to Steam.
Steam supports cross-sharing with Mac, don't expect Live there the first couple of years.
Live team wants to lead you into a pay-to-play system.

It would be nice if I can play the games purchased through my Xbox account on the PC. That is just so much WIN. Sales for Games On Demand would spike just for giving that option. Also Xbox will attract more PC users too.

Heysoos

HK-47 said:
We know its MS, we know they made GFWL, and we know they have done negative good things for PC gamers in the past decade.

To be fair, whatever Microsoft does is always negative to people. If Microsoft brings their first party games it immediately turns into -- "Xbox 360 has no exclusives." If Microsoft doesn't bring their first party games to the PC, it turns to -- "Microsoft hates PC gamers."

There's no denying Steam is light years ahead of GFWL, but in MY experience, it's been solid and has never given me any problems at all when playing GFWL games. Hell, Steam has given me more problems with games the GWFL. Granted, the solution has usually been simple, like making Steam run in admin mode to play a certain game.

Besides, it has Age of Empires Online and that's good enough for me.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Orellio said:
Trials and Shadow Complex

Trials came from PC and could easily go back to PC. I don't think Trials HD specifically will. Shadow Complex is starting to become one, though I agree.

Minsc

Gold Member
Stumpokapow said:
I'm scanning my head for obvious counter-examples. Splosion Man hasn't made it to PC even though The Maw did from the same team. Limbo just showed up on the Steam registry recently. Hmmm.

I guess I really just want Pinball FX and Marvel Pinball and Zen Pinball on the PC.

Glad to hear that indeed most of them do make it over to the PC though, I didn't realize so many of the better ones did.

Oreoleo

Stumpokapow said:
Trials came from PC and could easily go back to PC. I don't think Trials HD specifically will. Shadow Complex is starting to become one, though I agree.

Have you played the old Trials games recently? They are a nightmare in comparison to Trials HD.

mclaren777

Mrbob said:

Sure, that works too. I just want Miner Dig Deep and I'd gladly pay $20 for it.

Shambles

In the good alternate reality this means that all future xbox titles will cross compatable with PC. In our reality it just means reskinning GFWL with a different name, same shitty service except now they try to charge people money for it.

Heysoos said:
To be fair, whatever Microsoft does is always negative to people. If Microsoft brings their first party games it immediately turns into -- "Xbox 360 has no exclusives." If Microsoft doesn't bring their first party games to the PC, it turns to -- "Microsoft hates PC gamers."

There's no denying Steam is light years ahead of GFWL, but in MY experience, it's been solid and has never given me any problems at all when playing GFWL games. Hell, Steam has given me more problems with games the GWFL. Granted, the solution has usually been simple, like making Steam run in admin mode to play a certain game.

Besides, it has Age of Empires Online and that's good enough for me.

Although there is always someone complaining about everything you can't actually believe that most people would have that sentiment. The more games available to everyone the better for all of us. Don't confuse the notion that PC games hate ports because they are dumbed down versions of games with the notion that PC games hate ports because they think that other platforms shouldn't have any good games.

freddy

Banned
Orayn said:
Sounds like something I'll be disabling with
Code:
Windows + r
Msconfig
And using occasionally, and only when I feel like it.
I'm not so optimistic that it will be as simple as that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Minsc said:
I guess I really just want Pinball FX and Marvel Pinball and Zen Pinball on the PC. Glad to hear that indeed most of them do make it over to the PC though, I didn't realize so many of the better ones did.

Well Marvel Pinball is also on PSN so there's probably no reason why it couldn't come to PC, but given the license I wouldn't hold out hope because the game will probably expire at some fixed point.

Again, in the case of Cloning Clyde it took many years so I'm definitely not saying the situation couldn't be improved if Microsoft really tried to improve things, but I just mean if you're in it for the long haul you'll probably be taken care of.

ZZMitch

Sounds interesting. Too bad I don't own an Xbox 360 or Windows Phone but I will keep an open mind. If XBLA comes to PC I will be very happy.

sleepykyo

MrPing1000 said:
$1.4billion is a slap on the wrist? :p

Although I don't think they've actually paid it yet, still appealing after all these years.

For Microsoft, it kind of is.

That aside, depending on the pricing it doesn't sound that bad.

Top Bottom