• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live coming to the PC

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
NO PLEASE STAY AWAY

Well, I would put up with it if it meant I'd have access to the Live Arcade. Lots of awesome stuff on there.

....Actually, no, just stay away.

This is what I was telling one of the GFWL guys years ago. GFWL was a stupid name. Just go with Xbox Live.

If they put a Xbox page on Windows 8 which connects to a Games Marketplace and they actually bring some of their games to PC for a change (they should start off with putting all of the Halo and Gears games on PC along with Forza 4), then it could be really interesting.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Sweet. Now there's a new way to enjoy Microsoft's lineup of great games like Fable III and Solitaire.

It's so much better than Steam because it allows me to do things inefficiently.

Shambles said:
In our reality it just means reskinning GFWL with a different name, same shitty service except now they try to charge people money for it.

I imagine so, yes.

Considering that at the moment I actively refuse to buy any game that uses Microsoft's abhorent system (following a 100% failure rate for me), they'll need to perform some sort of divine miracle to make me accept their XBL system onto my PC, let alone pay for it.

And I don't think they're capable of divine miracles.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Everyone keeps saying XBLA is a good thing, but how many of the best games on the service dont make it to PC, where they inevitably go on sale a lot more?

thetrin said:
I fail to see how this is great news.

It is great news because any video, music, saves or other content you get on one device will automatically be accessible on the other.

It also means that Live Marketplace content will be available on both.

Hopefully, it will also mean more developer support.

If they can actually make Windows version of Live EXACTLY LIKE Xbox Live, then it will be a great service.

Obviously GFWL is fucking terrible and nowhere close.

Veritas_

Hari Seldon said:
MS has a long way to go if they want to win over PC gamers. The Master Race holds long grudges.
Ensemble Studios - Never Forget

Really, the last thing I want is another login service to go through to play. GTA IV requires a Steam, GFWL, and Rockstar Social Club login.

It would be particularly awesome if they could develop a system that would allow for complete parity--playing and buying Live Arcade titles or even 360 games on both.

I know that wouldn't be universally possible and devs would have to program for it, but it would still be cool to be able to pop certain 360 games into my PC and play them. Maybe with some kind of label "Works with both 360 and PC."

i-Lo

I am not a PC gamer at all. However, I absolutely, unequivocally believe that online gaming on an open platform like PC should remain FREE.

STEAM should keep the problem in check.

confused

Banned
HK-47 said:
Can I has a list plz?

Look at XBLA, if there's a title there, chances are high it ain't on PC. Just to mention a few :

Geo wars 2
Shadow Complex
Trials HD
Megaman 9 & 10

And pretty much everything else that didn't come to XBLA after being released on PC first

Windows 8 looks fucking sweet. If XBOX live on 8 brings over all the Arcade games for tablets to play on. Hell Yes. Will not pay for multiplayer though.

Oreoleo

HK-47 said:
Can I has a list plz?

Trials HD
Shadow Complex
BF 1943
Geometry Wars 2
Splosion Man
Marble Blast Ultra
Perfect Dark
Banjo Kazooie 1 & 2
Dead Rising 2 Case 0
Dead Rising 2 Case West
Mega Man 9
Mega Man 10
N+
Soul Caliber
Rez HD
Pac Man CE & DX

There are way more but those are the ones that stick out to me.

alstein

thetrin said:
I fail to see how this is great news.

XBLA Marketplace heading to Windows- that's what I really want.

Just think HDR, the KOF UM games (and hopefully someone hacks GGPO into those games), bunch of good classic arcade games, Guardian Heroes.

Would be so awesome.

marrec

Banned
Xbox Live is a great service on the console, so I welcome any integration with the PC. This, in my mind anyway, can only mean good things. (I already pay for Multiplayer.)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Orellio said:
Trials HD
Shadow Complex
BF 1943
Geometry Wars 2
Splosion Man
Marble Blast Ultra
Perfect Dark
Banjo Kazooie 1 & 2
Dead Rising 2 Case 0
Dead Rising 2 Case West
Mega Man 9
Mega Man 10
N+
Soul Caliber
Rez HD

Marble Blast, N, Geometry Wars 1, and Trials are all on PC. I'm not sure if the installments you list will ever make it there, but the games themselves are. Sequels may or may not be. It's kinda like saying "Worms XBLA isn't on PC"--no, it isn't, but previous installments are, and subsequent installments ended up being. Now, to be extra controversial; Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie 1/2, Mega Man 9/10, Soul Calibur, and Rez are all playable on modern PCs as well. 1943 is not available but in the timeframe we're talking about the servers will likely be shut down.

The real candidates there that may or may not make it in any form are Splosion Man and Shadow Complex.

Scipius

Well, that's proving once again that Microsoft continues to be the greatest threat to PC gaming.

I'm holding all of you Xbox gamers responsible by the way. Stop encouraging Microsoft's gaming efforts.

i-Lo

marrec said:
Xbox Live is a great service on the console, so I welcome any integration with the PC. This, in my mind anyway, can only mean good things. (I already pay for Multiplayer.)

Except, people shouldn't have to pay for it on PC. It's an open platform. I pay for Live too (though I seldom use it). However, XBL is a closed network unlike on PC.

It means great things if it's just the market place and not imposing "pay to play" on PC gamers.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Snuggler said:
Wait.

I just had a terrifying vision. My desktop...hijacked by an Avatar. Becoming a PC gamer was my way of escaping awful things like that. If my PC were to be infested by that kind of perversion, I would truly have no where left to go.

Please lord, keepeth them away.
"It looks like you're...Trying To Circumvent The DRM On A Product You Own. I can't help you with that, but I have notified the publisher, and they are now locking you out of your games. Would you like help...Changing Your Desktop Background?"

Danny Dudekisser

alstein said:
XBLA Marketplace heading to Windows- that's what I really want.

Just think HDR, the KOF UM games (and hopefully someone hacks GGPO into those games), bunch of good classic arcade games, Guardian Heroes.

Would be so awesome.

That's why it won't happen.

I don't know why people are looking at this as anything more than a rebranding of Microsoft's malware. It's not going to do anything positive for you, but it will probably add advertisements to the already shitty GFWL interface.

Oreoleo

Stumpokapow said:
Marble Blast, N, Geometry Wars 1, and Trials are all on PC. I'm not sure if the installments you list will ever make it there, but the games themselves are. Sequels may or may not be. It's kinda like saying "Worms XBLA isn't on PC"--no, it isn't, but previous installments are, and subsequent installments ended up being. Now, to be extra controversial; Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie 1/2, Mega Man 9/10, Soul Calibur, and Rez are all playable on modern PCs as well. 1943 is not available but in the timeframe we're talking about the servers will likely be shut down.

The real candidates there that may or may not make it in any form are Splosion Man and Shadow Complex.

I can give you the console ports, but he asked for XBLA games and they are XBLA. Sure they can be emulated but the XBLA versions (At least for Perfect Dark) generally have better textures and/or modeling. Rez HD also has much more content than the DC version as far as I'm aware. Trials and N on PC are vastly inferior to their XBLA counterparts. GeoWars1 is literally half the game GeoWars2 is. Marble Blast is the only one I legit did not know had a PC version.

And what about the Dead Rising 2 expansions? Are those somehow not important enough to you to be worthy of discussion? Personally, more than any other games I listed, the absence of those on PC hurt the most.

confused

Banned
Chacranajxy said:
That's why it won't happen.

I don't know why people are looking at this as anything more than a rebranding of Microsoft's malware. It's not going to do anything positive for you, but it will probably add advertisements to the already shitty GFWL interface.

Why wouldn't it happen ? They are specifically talking about being able to acces your content across multiple devices. Ie. play you XBLA games on PC, watch your Zune content anywhere

Cimarron said:
Interesting... Will my achievements on both platforms be added to my gamer tag? If yes then I may soon be ascending to the PC master race.
Games for Windows Live games already added to your gamerscore.

njr

This will be the new internet explorer. If it's hard to remove, just deal with it by removing any shortcuts and installing steam.

Would this sharing of content also extend to video games? It would appear so. Buy a game via the LIVE store on your PC, play it online. Go on your Xbox and continue playing that game on Xbox Live.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
i-Lo said:
Except, people shouldn't have to pay for it on PC. It's an open platform. I pay for Live too (though I seldom use it). However, XBL is a closed network unlike on PC.

It means great things if it's just the market place and not imposing "pay to play" on PC gamers.
i highly doubt microsoft would make you pay to play online on the pc. Its not like they could get away with it anyway. This announcement is more about bringing the marketplace etc.. to the pc.

Danny Dudekisser

confused said:
Why wouldn't it happen ? They are specifically talking about being able to acces your content across multiple devices. Ie. play you XBLA games on PC, watch your Zune content anywhere

Did it actually mention XBLA games? Because they're probably referring to movies and such that you buy on their shitty service rather than games... which'd probably have to be reprogrammed to run on PCs anyway.

Danny Dudekisser

Windu said:
i highly doubt microsoft would make you pay to play online on the pc. Its not like they could get away with it anyway.

If I'm not mistaken, they already tried that, didn't they? Like back in the Shadowrun days?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Windu said:
i highly doubt microsoft would make you pay to play online on the pc. Its not like they could get away with it anyway. This announcement is more about bringing the marketplace etc.. to the pc.
They tried once before. Maybe they're thinking they can try again if they bundle it with other stuff.

confused

Banned
Chacranajxy said:
Did it actually mention XBLA games? Because they're probably referring to movies and such that you buy on their shitty service rather than games... which'd probably have to be reprogrammed to run on PCs anyway.

Could be anything, really. All we know is that they want us to be able to share content across devices.

Cheech

On some level, I think Microsoft is doing this simply to sell more copies of Windows 8 to the gaming crowd. They also need a total end-to-end solution for their Windows 7 Phone gamers, and this gives them that.

The tin foil hyperbole is pretty thick in here.

Danny Dudekisser

confused said:
Could be anything, really. All we know is that they want us to be able to share content across devices.

All I'm sayin' is that people should temper their expectations. This is a company that really hasn't done anything positive for gaming since probably 2005 or so.

Why would anyone think this push is for a more PC-centric gaming initiative? Microsoft is not going to aggravate 360 sales for the sake of PC gamers, It's the other way around.

confused

Banned
Chacranajxy said:
All I'm sayin' is that people should temper their expectations. This is a company that really hasn't done anything positive for gaming since probably 2005 or so.

That's just bullshit and you know it.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
If MS plans on imbedding this into Windows 8, Valve should start hiring lawyers RIGHT NOW! MS has rejected PC gamers and PC gamers have rejected them right back. I have the terrible feeling that MS' plan is to force a Windows 8 upgrade by having dx 12 exclusively on the new os, then imbedding this crap onto your pc to try and funnel away some business from Steam. Well, you know what? FUCK YOU MICROSOFT! You want pc gamers to use your service? Make some games. Give gamers some valid reasons to use your services rather than having no other choice.

It may be time to get on the Apple bandwagon. Just typing that makes me feel dirty.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
chuckddd said:
If MS plans on imbedding this into Windows 8, Valve should start hiring lawyers RIGHT NOW! MS has rejected PC gamers and PC gamers have rejected them right back. I have the terrible feeling that MS' plan is to force a Windows 8 upgrade by having dx 12 exclusively on the new os, then imbedding this crap onto your pc to try and funnel away some business from Steam. Well, you know what? FUCK YOU MICROSOFT! You want pc gamers to use your service? Make some games. Give gamers some valid reasons to use your services rather than having no other choice.

It may be time to get on the Apple bandwagon. Just typing that makes me feel dirty.

chuckddd
Fear of an MS Planet

Top Bottom