• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox live credit card removal

LiK

bengraven said:
I know, I said it in the other thread about how they kept turning it back on for me.

So why is the option on the website if you need to call and get it "truly" changed?
Yea, makes no sense. Why can't people just go Silver if they want?

ElRenoRaven

desa said:
Holy shit. So I gave them a call just a minute ago to remove my credit card info. I used it to purchase a 12.50 for 4 months and those 1 dollar for a month within the last month. So the guy was like ok that's fine, no problem. Then he tried to offer me 40% for another year. Ok, standard shit. I declined and told him I'll think about that when the time comes. So he then tells me that when I remove my card for my file, I will no longer be an Xbox Gold member.

What??

So you mean to tell me those 9 months I paid for will be for nothing? I won't get a refund? If I remove my card and then proceed to log in tomorrow, I will be a silver member? WTF? How is this fucking right? He told me it was in the terms of agreement. Oh really? So I told him to take me to the specific paragraph that details this. He also gave me the page to look with him. I couldn't find it. After 10 minutes, he couldn't find it either but he assured me it was there. I told him I'll call back.

I've read many horror stories about removing your credit card but I have never heard anything like this. It's the reason why I even opted to use my card. Was this guy just fucking with me or is this really true?

Well it worked. He got you not to cancel it. His job is done. You're the next guys problem now.

This is so obnoxious. I paid for a full year of live, turned auto-renew off. Card got stolen, but I can't remove it from xbox.com because it is associated to a service (which I pre-paid for).
And that useless card always shows up on the top of list of payment options on the 360.
I am sure if I called they'd fix it but I shouldn't have to.
Small things like this make me want to not use live/marketplace again.

Dunlop

removing from the website only works in the US I believe.

Mine was a total clusterfuck, in the end they removed it and neded to cancel my membership and then e-mail me a code to reactivate live for whatever my remainder was. That was fucked up and it involved at least another 4 calls

I wish that was the first time I had issues with MS about credit card bullshit over the years but it will be my last. Should I need anything off of live again it will be with prepaid cards.

I agree with an above poster, Ihave no clue how it is legal for them to make it near impossible to remove your own credit card from their site if you do not have an outstanding balance

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
surly said:
No, cos you call up and cancel the auto-renewal first. Or you can just redeem a pre-paid card before your sub expires as you can stack up to 3 years of Live. Then once the time period that you'd paid for using the credit/debit card has ended, you can remove the card through Xbox.com.

But like people have said on this very board they've had their auto-renew activated again, I've rang up twice before to stop my auto-renew and they still billed me, the last time they did this I asked the supervisor for the address which I could give to my solicitor to start legal proceedings, the supervisor didn't know what to do, in the end he said under special circumstances they can put certain cases under review, three months later they refunded me so they knew they was in the wrong, I honestly would of 'attempted' to prosecute them if they didn't refund me, it wasn't about the money, it's the principle of the matter, and also I thought by sticking to my guns it may of helped change the system but no such luck.

koji

Uhm, can't you just remove your CC using the website, that's what I did a while back. (like a year ago)

edit; what the poster above said

malfcn

I have like 2 weeks until I get billed $40 or whatever for the Halo deal from last year. We will see how much of an issue they give me.

Sydle

Dealing w/ CC info on LIVE is a pain in the ass. However, I've found that it is usually quickly remedied when you demand to talk to a supervisor.

My worst experience with their customer service:

My situation was that my CC expired and then they banned me. I went out and bought a LIVE membership card w/ code and thought it would just turn right back on. Nope, still banned. I called and told them the situation....

Me: You're telling me that I cannot get back on LIVE even though I just bought a $50 code for it?

LIVE: Yes, it's the terms and conditions.

Me: I didn't know it was going to expire, I hardly ever use the card. Why didn't you use the back up card on the account? It's still good for a couple of years.

LIVE: The primary card must be valid.

Me: CC's expire and I couldn't remove it, so I put a backup assuming you were smart enough to use it.

LIVE: It doesn't work like that.

Me: Whatever. Look, I just went to the store and spent fifty bucks on a card to continue using your service.

LIVE: You violated the terms & conditions of service.

Me: You're telling me that I can never use your service again because my CC info expired. Look, just get that bullshit off my account so I can use the code I just paid for.

LIVE: I can't do that.

ME: Get your supervisor on now.

LIVE: He's going to tell you the sam...

Me: Your supervisor, NOW

LIVE Supervisor: How can I help you.

Me: CC info expired, wasn't aware, got banned, went to buy code, can't use code because I'm banned. Called to straighten things out and talked to one of your idiots and now I'm frustrated.

LIVE Supervisor: We'll lift the ban so you can use your code. Is there anything else?

Me: Your customer service is a disaster.

LIVE: Is there anything else I can help you with?

Me: No, bye.

surly

Banned
BitchTits said:
But if the Gold account is on a monthly renewal!......
Then call and cancel the auto-renewal, or switch to using pre-paid cards. If you pay for Xbox Live Gold monthly you're paying £71.88 a year for it, when you could just get it for £30 by using a pre-paid card.

soldat7

Can't you just call your credit card company and have them put a stop to the madness? We really need an |OT| for this.

FrancisH

A card on my file expired once (a few years ago) and instead of just making my account Silver and asking me to update my details if I wanted to, they decided to "Ban and delete" my account...

My account is now unbanned, and I see nothing has been deleted, but that is what the person on the phone told me, and it took him over a hour to get to that conclusion.

Stupidly after buying a new 360S (first one RROD) and taking up a 33% off offer on Gold I now have another card on file that I need to get removed but can't online because of the stupid auto renew feature.

Another lengthy hassle call to MS again soon it would seem :(

Edit: Seems like Paco had the same problem as me too!

Oppo

Dunlop said:
removing from the website only works in the US I believe.

I did it in Canada, but I remember that the link was really hard to find. It literally didn't look like a link, no underline or anything, just the word "remove" buried somewhere.

lowrider007

FrancisH said:
A card on my file expired once (a few years ago) and instead of just making my account Silver and asking me to update my details if I wanted to, they decided to "Ban and delete" my account...

My account is now unbanned, and I see nothing has been deleted, but that is what the person on the phone told me, and it took him over a hour to get to that conclusion.

Stupidly after buying a new 360S (first one RROD) and taking up a 33% off offer on Gold I now have another card on file that I need to get removed but can't online because of the stupid auto renew feature.

Another lengthy hassle call to MS again soon it would seem :(

So people are getting banned becuase their CC's expire?, is that really in the T&C's?

Dunlop

PortTwo said:
I did it in Canada, but I remember that the link was really hard to find. It literally didn't look like a link, no underline or anything, just the word "remove" buried somewhere.

I saw the remove link, it just told me I wasnt allowed (I didnt have an active live sub back then)

surly

Banned
lowrider007 said:
So people are getting banned becuase their CC's expire?, is that really in the T&C's?
If your Gold sub is set to automatically renew, MS will attempt to charge your card a short time before the renewal date. If it fails because your card has expired, they email you, then they try again and if it fails, they email you again. Your Gold sub will automatically renew, but if you don't sort it within the first 2 months and update your payment info so they can take the payment, you'll get banned.

It's your responsibility to keep your billing info up to date when you sign up for a contract that automatically renews. Either that, or call and cancel or use a pre-paid card before the renewal date.

Diablohead said:
You get banned for doing that, if they can't bill you they cancel your account fully after about 2 months of trying, then they ask you to pay for those bonus months.
Same thing if the card expires or is canceled apparently. Thought I'd be in the clear when I canceled the card they've got on file. Guess I'll have to call them...

Can't log in at xbox.com btw. 100% broken.
surly said:
use a pre-paid card before the renewal date.
Does that overwrite the auto renewal or just push back the date?

lowrider007

surly said:
If your Gold sub is set to automatically renew, MS will attempt to charge your card a short time before the renewal date. If it fails because your card has expired, they email you, then they try again and if it fails, they email you again. Your Gold sub will automatically renew, but if you don't sort it within the first 2 months and update your payment info so they can take the payment, you'll get banned.

It's your responsibility to keep your billing info up to date when you sign up for a contract that automatically renews. Either that, or call and cancel or use a pre-paid card before the renewal date.

That is completely ridiculous, you don't force your services upon a consumer if their card isn't billable, they should just revert your acc back to silver, wow, this like 1980's MS's underhanded bureaucracy all over again, it shouldn't happen, people pay up front for a service, they should have the right to remove their card at any time they wish to do so and then none of these problems would exist.

ElRenoRaven

schennmu said:
Wait, I really have to call them to turn off auto-renewal?

Yup. For awhile you could via Xbox.com but then after the last redesign they took that away again. So now you have to call again.

rivals

Why anyone still uses their actual card number (as opposed to virtual card numbers) with microsoft for xbl payments I will never understand.

PsychoRaven said:
Yup. For awhile you could via Xbox.com but then after the last redesign they took that away again. So now you have to call again.

Wow, that's horrible. Good to know because I recently gave into the 3 months + 600points deal. Still waiting for the points as well!

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
they changed it in Canada you have to call now.

I went thru the exact same thing.
When I called to remove the CC auto renewal, they insisted I needed to have another payment method or that Canceling my existing gold would mean i would lose all the months left on the gold account.(I had about 4months left).

I told them do it regardless I wanted the card off because I was canceling this card and didn't want to get banned if they tried to use that card.

Was so sickened by the bullshit lose your paid months that I haven't used my Xbox since,and have just been buying games and playing on Steam since..

Way I see it, its their loss not mine, since after that fiasco I'll never pay for Gold Live again.

surly

Banned
lowrider007 said:
That is completely ridiculous, you don't force your services upon a consumer if their card isn't billable, they should just revert your acc back to silver, wow, this like 1980's MS underhanded bureaucracy all over again, it shouldn't happen, people pay up front for a service, they should have the right to remove the card at any time they wish to do so and then none of these problems would exist.
Yes, but you're paying upfront for a service that automatically renews. If you don't like that, then don't sign up for it. The only way you'll get banned is if your card has expired, you haven't called to cancel or renewed using a pre-paid card, and you ignore the emails that MS send you that say they've tried to charge your card and you need to update your billing information. If that happens, your Gold sub carries on, but you're then in arrears and you own them money, hence the ban if you do not pay up.

When I removed my card I had 15 months left and the made me silver and then emailed me a 12 month code and a 3month gold code. Seems like a bug in their system how cards are attached to accounts.

Hixx

Last time I tried this in the UK you had to call to remove them but you can do it via the website now. Nice.

OMG... I'm worried now.

I bought two months of Gold some weeks ago because of a glitch ($1 per month)... but now I can't remove my credit card info. I didn't know about the auto-renewal.

I really don't care about my card being stored at the system... but I don't want the auto-renewal thing.

What can I do? Should I call?

5FcWd.png

You should just be able to go on xbox.com and remove your credit card on there. You just have to have at least 1 on your account.

AlmostMilk said:
You should just be able to go on xbox.com and remove your credit card on there. You just have to have at least 1 on your account.

Are you fucking serious? I only have 1 credit card, what am I supposed to do?

Akuosa

surly said:
If that happens, your Gold sub carries on, but you're then in arrears and you own them money, hence the ban if you do not pay up.
And that's what shouldn't happen.
You're paying upfront for a service that automatically renews, as you say. OK, not even going to discuss how you can turn on/off that renewal, we're going with this. The moment they can't charge you again for the renewal because of something that is your fault (not going to argue this either), that service is over and you're not a Gold member anymore. That's the way things work outside of MSland, instead of giving you the service anyway and then banning you because you owe them money.
If you can't charge me, don't give me the service, don't go ahead anyway and then tell me I owe you money... just do me a favor and stop doing me favors.

Xena

Fernando Rocker said:
OMG... I'm worried now.

I bought two months of Gold some weeks ago because of a glitch ($1 per month)... but now I can't remove my credit card info. I didn't know about the auto-renewal.

I really don't care about my card being stored at the system... but I don't want the auto-renewal thing.

What can I do? Should I call?

5FcWd.png
That's the same that happened with me yesterday when I tried to remove. I live in the US.
Today I called them and he said I have to call again when it expires to remove it. Apparently "they cannot remove it" until it expires completely. I did ask them to turn autorenew off; and it shows "on" my xbox due to my prepaid card I had posted 3 mon ago and not my credit card 1 year that was previousy.

bangai-o

Banned
is there some sort of better business bureau or something that Microsoft can be reported to? Having deathgrips on cc info seems shady.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
seabee said:
Apparently "they cannot remove it" until it expires completely.

That's the bullshit part..they can remove it but by doing that they cancel the remainder of your gold subscription.
They do it this way in hopes you'll forget to cancel till after its renewed for another year..and then the cycle continues..hoping you'll never remember to cancel before your CC has already been charged for another year.

Xena

bloodydrake said:
That's the bullshit part..they can remove it but by doing that they cancel the remainder of your gold subscription.
They do it this way in hopes you'll forget to cancel till after its renewed for another year..and then the cycle continues..hoping you'll never remember to cancel before your CC has already been charged for another year.
I explicit told him that the particular card on that account has been canceled due to psn and therefore the reason I wanted it removed. They wanted me to put another card instead but of course I told him I don't want any cc info anymore; prepaid cards from now on. Still he said he couldn't remove it.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
seabee said:
I explicit told him that the particular card on that account has been canceled due to psn and therefore the reason I wanted it removed. They wanted me to put another card instead but of course I told him I don't want any cc info anymore; prepaid cards from now on. Still he said he couldn't remove it.
they lied call back and tell them your going to use the gold live 12month cards from now on and you want the credit card removed from the account due to it being cancelled.

I dealt with the exact samething and once I explained that I would be using point cards and 12month gold cards instead they backed off and removed the credit card..tho they said I'd lose the remainder of my gold access I was fine with that.

Xena

bloodydrake said:
they lied call back and tell them your going to use the gold live 12month cards from now on and you want the credit card removed from the account due to it being cancelled.

I dealt with the exact samething and once I explained that I would be using point cards and 12month gold cards instead they backed off and removed the credit card..tho they said I'd lose the remainder of my gold access I was fine with that.
Like I said, I told him I wanted it removed because it was cancelled and I'd use prepaid from now on. However, he didn't mention anything about being able to remove it now and lose remainder days. Do I call again or should I wait till the 9th of next month, when it expires?

malfcn

Checking out there FAQ page.
http://support.xbox.com/en-us/Pages...account-management/remove-payment-option.aspx
http://support.xbox.com/en-us/Pages...nt-management/remove-payment-option.aspx#exp1

If you try to remove a credit card that is associated with an active Xbox LIVE Gold Membership, you will receive the following error:

This payment option cannot be removed at this time. Go to the Payment method information page to view services associated with this payment option.

You cannot remove a payment option that is associated with an active Xbox LIVE Gold Membership. However, if you associate a new payment option with your Xbox LIVE membership, you can then remove the existing payment option. Here's how:

On your console, sign in using your Xbox LIVE gamertag.
Go to My Xbox, and then select your avatar.
Go to Account Management, and then select Manage Account.

Death grip indeed.
Do they tell you that you will be locked in before you pay? They have to right?

fernoca

Yep, either the rep lied, or the OP misunderstood him, or a combination of both.

Removing a credit card doesn't cancel the current Gold subscription. Maybe he meant it in the "well, remember that when it expire you won't be Gold", or something like that; and in the rush the OP heard it was "you won't be Gold if you cancel now!"...

But no matter what, the OP will be fine and the subscription will stay active.

The only exception would be, IF they haven't charged the card for any upcoming/pending offer. Like, if they haven't charged for the $1-month offer.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
seabee said:
Like I said, I told him I wanted it removed because it was cancelled and I'd use prepaid from now on. However, he didn't mention anything about being able to remove it now and lose remainder days. Do I call again or should I wait till the 9th of next month, when it expires?

I wouldn't wait till the last minute myself
heres my info now..just to show yes..they can remove it if you insist.
30u4bq9.jpg

Top Bottom