• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live: Fall 2011 Dashboard update preview

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
kZLcp.png

If you look at an advert, will you literally die? Is it that bad? Because you're all reacting like it is.

I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about. You don't have to click the advert, just pay no attention to it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
clashfan said:
Is this release suppose to add youtube?

No Youtube.

toythatkills said:
If you look at an advert, will you literally die? Is it that bad? Because you're all reacting like it is.

I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about. You don't have to click the advert, just pay no attention to it.

Just look at how much screen estate it's taking. It's annoying. Do you like ads plastered all over the place?

Most people pay for Xbox Live too, so it feels like Microsoft is slapping us.

I would like the adverts more if they actually targeted me. You know, like hey there's a new expansion pack out for a game you have played in your history, or hey there's a new movie available now to rent from a director you've watched two movies from. Stuff like that. It's gotta be all in a database somewhere right?

epmode

toythatkills said:

Wait, you mean I don't actually have to click on the ads? Shit, I've been doing this all wrong! For years now!

Dabanton

clashfan said:
Is this release suppose to add youtube?

Yeah.

Though they seem to underplay it a bit.

Naturally, the question of YouTube came up, but the build I was able to check out didn't have it in there. For Farrell, the priority is really getting Bing where the company wants it and promoting the console's streaming content. "For us, right now, the goal is to focus on more of that long-form content: music, movies, games and TV shows," Farrell said. "Lower down on the list is something like YouTube. YouTube is kinda crazy with the amount of titles people can name and just throw up there. We can't guarantee we'll have all of that stuff day one, but we'll be continually evolving the Dashboard on the back end to get it there."

Wario64 said:
Just look at how much screen estate it's taking. It's annoying. Do you like ads plastered all over the place?
It's taking screen estate that would be used for nothing, otherwise. They've got the important stuff in the "home" tab, it seems. You can launch your disk or quick launch something else. Without adverts, they'd just make those icons four times bigger and the dash would be no more or less functional.

Sure, they could bundle a bunch of options together and have three things along the top or something, but then it starts to get muddled and confusing for simple people.

Do I like ads plastered all over the place? I don't like or dislike them, I just ignore them. They're really not intrusive, it's not like they're actual adverts that play while the game is loading and you're not allowed to play until the advert is finished. They're a small box on a screen that has no impact on anyone's life if they just don't worry about them.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Dabanton said:

Hey You said:
What? I thought this update was adding Youtube?

Oops, I totally misread an article earlier today. I thought it said no Youtube but it said it wasn't ready for preview

Also, considering that this dashboard is targeted for Kinect, screen estate does matter cause you have a smaller area to aim for to launch a game, right? Unless you really want me to say "XBAX PLAY GAME" out loud

Wario64 said:
No Youtube.

In what world are these ads? It's just, content, stuff.

It's like calling Amazon product pages "ads".

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hated it. Just give me blades back, MS, god.

Wario64 said:

And people keep on letting themselves get slapped. Which is exactly why they keep pushing things further and further.

TheSeks said:
Hated it. Just give me blades back, MS, god.

I used to say/think I preferred blades over NXE too.

But I saw a pic of blades today

xbox_blades_interface.jpg

Have to admit I probably wouldn't want to go back to that.

I just can't get over how an ad for a new movie in the marketplace is bigger than the icon for the game in your disc drive lol. And the middle option is probably what's going to be highlighted when the console boots up.

Just boot to disc if you don't wanna see the ads. OMG crisis averted.

Usually they're just ads for games, demos etc. Not like they're advertising tampons, although some of you act like you may need to change yours.

alr1ght

LocoMrPollock said:

Usually they're just ads for games, demos etc. Not like they're advertising tampons, although some of you act like you may need to change yours.

you shouldn't have to boot to disc to avoid ads on a pay service. right there is a 30 Rock ad and a windows phone ad.

Dabanton

specialguy said:
In what world are these ads? It's just, content, stuff.

It's like calling Amazon product pages "ads".

I don't get it either.

If it was 'ad' ad's i would have a problem but it's telling us what new game, music, movie and TV that is available.

Would people prefer the hideous PS3 way were we actually have to sign into the store.

Number one reason why i buy so little content on my PS3.

LocoMrPollock said:

Agree with this 100%

alr1ghtstart said:
you shouldn't have to boot to disc to avoid ads on a pay service. right there is a 30 Rock ad and a windows phone ad.

There is a 30 Rock "AD" because it is offered on a service for the 360.

LocoMrPollock said:

Yeah guys, it's a great UI. If you completely avoid it.

Dabanton said:
I don't get it either.

If it was 'ad' ad's i would have a problem but it's telling us what new game, music, movie and TV that is available.

Would people prefer the hideous PS3 way were we actually have to sign into the store.

Number one reason why i buy so little content on my PS3.

Yeah ok, you have to sign into the PS store. That makes great sense.

Wario64 said:
Also, considering that this dashboard is targeted for Kinect, screen estate does matter cause you have a smaller area to aim for to launch a game, right? Unless you really want me to say "XBAX PLAY GAME" out loud
That's a fair point. I tend to forget Kinect even exists most of the time.

I guess that won't be a problem soon WITH ALL THESE BLOODY ADS!

Dabanton

weekend_warrior said:
Yeah ok, you have to sign into the PS store. That makes great sense.

Is does to me as my PS3 is always signed out.

And whats that waiting for me another update that i have to install before i can see anything.

alr1ght

They could easily have a "store" tab at the top that lists all the sales, new releases, etc. You could see what's going on without having to have the terrible burden of signing in to the store.

Dabanton

upJTboogie said:

I just have it set that way. So i'm not bothered when i'm watching something. As you don't need to sign in if your just watching iPlayer or 4OD.

upJTboogie said:
..Why

And how are you going to get content from either marketplace if you're not online.

My 360 is usually signed in. As i'm gaming on that mainly and i can change my preferences to make myself look like i'm offline if i'm watching a movie on that. :D

angelfly

Dabanton said:
Is does to me as my PS3 is always signed out.

And whats that waiting for me another update that i have to install before i can see anything.
You choose to not have your PS3 auto sign in like you have your 360 set to do.
You choose to sign into PSN for a month therefore missing updates when they get released.

It's the fault of you and not the system.

I like it and I really don't care about the ads either way. I find myself checking them out from time to time as they are connected with sweepstakes promos. Of course a dashboard with less advertising or none at all would always be better, but will we get one without any? Probably not.

I think it looks better than the current one. I look forward to the new Metro look. I hope I get into the beta if there is one this time around.

Dabanton

angelfly said:
You choose to not have your PS3 auto sign in like you have your 360 set to do.
You choose to sign into PSN for a month therefore missing updates when they get released.

It's the fault of you and not the system.

And that's why i will remain signed out of PSN for now.

alr1ght

I have never heard of someone complaining that you have to actually sign in to see a console's online store. I've heard it all now, gaf.

Top Bottom