• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live: Fall 2011 Dashboard update preview

mik83kuu

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
They could easily have a "store" tab at the top that lists all the sales, new releases, etc. You could see what's going on without having to have the terrible burden of signing in to the store.

Oh hahaha :-D

Kafel

Banned
Highlighting the last big movies of their on-demand service are hardly ads.

Unless you complain too when you see the last XBLA game getting its own tile.

RdN

Cant wait for this update. I check Major Nelsons twitter everyday to see if he posted something about the preview program. Seriously.

Kafel said:
Highlighting the last big movies of their on-demand service are hardly ads.

Unless you complain too when you see the last XBLA game getting its own tile.

There are a lot of whiners when it comes to XBOX Live.

feel

Zeouterlimits said:
Youtube is the key component of this update, and they're insane if they think otherwise.
Just casually telling the xbox what I want to do or play is way bigger to me, I already have youtube in a million other devices. :)

The ads really don't bother me as long as they're not slowing me down and getting in the way of my ability to access features, and this whole interface seems to be much more streamlined in that regard (especially when taking Bing into consideration). I'm sure if you were to have a dashboard race between blades, NXE and this, this would win the vast majority of the time.

Zeouterlimits said:
Youtube is the key component of this update, and they're insane if they think otherwise.
Nobody will care about YouTube after a week. You can watch YouTube on virtually anything with a screen. Bing is the key component, in my opinion. Being able to access content that would otherwise require quite a bit of menu digging.

KageMaru

Not sure how I feel on the metro look, may have to see how well it works before judging.

upJTboogie said:
It's still trying to persuade you to buy something, it's an ad.

I understand how ads aren't ideal, but what you (and many other members) are ignoring is that many people wouldn't know about this content if it wasn't advertised on the dashboard. Ads may be ugly, but they are necessary to build both awareness and revenue. The better Live members are aware of content, the more likely said content will sell, which should result in even more content.

With how these systems provide a plethora of content, it really can't be avoided.

For the record, I don't mind the ads on PSN either.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
alphaNoid said:
Check your glasses, they look nothing alike. Also.. Windows Media Center was around long before XMB.. oh noes!
Functionally, they look very much the same. And who said anything about WMC?

KageMaru said:
I understand how ads aren't ideal, but what you (and many other members) are ignoring is that many people wouldn't know about this content if it wasn't advertised on the dashboard. Ads may be ugly, but they are necessary to build both awareness and revenue. The better Live members are aware of content, the more likely said content will sell, which should result in even more content.

With how these systems provide a plethora of content, it really can't be avoided.

For the record, I don't mind the ads on PSN either.
The ads about 30 Rock and X-men can easily be in the TV tab, if people were interested in buying Tv shows that's where they would go.

KageMaru

upJTboogie said:
The ads about 30 Rock and X-men can easily be in the TV tab, if people were interested in buying Tv shows that's where they would go.

That's not how it works. How can there be interest when there is no awareness? Sales of those items would be less if MS (or Sony) relied on their users to go to the respective marketplace on their own. It's a heads up on what's new for the more ignorant masses, I guess that's the point I'm trying to make. No different than when I load up PSN and there's a block of ads telling me what's new.

I would much rather there be no ads as well, but that's not going to happen.

KageMaru said:
That's not how it works. How can there be interest when there is no awareness? Sales of those items would be less if MS (or Sony) relied on their users to go to the respective marketplace on their own. It's a heads up on what's new for the more ignorant masses, I guess that's the point I'm trying to make. No different than when I load up PSN and there's a block of ads telling me what's new.

That would never happen on Microsoft's console that's for sure, but it would be better if there was ways to never see them whenever you turn on the box.

KageMaru

upJTboogie said:
That would never happen on Microsoft's console that's for sure, but it would be better if there was ways to never see them whenever you turn on the box.

Yes because MS is the only money grubbing corporation in the video game industry, right?

We saw ads when we turned on the box with the Blades and NXE. No reason to keep bitching about this 6 years later.

KageMaru said:
Yes because MS is the only money grubbing corporation in the video game industry, right?

We saw ads when we turned on the box with the Blades and NXE. No reason to keep bitching about this 6 years later.
No, they're not the only money grubbing corporation, they're just the only one who forces you to see ads for movies, phones and other crap on the dashboard.

KageMaru said:

just say the average user is fucking retard, and thus is treated as such, and we can all move along here.

:D

Tenkei

xxracerxx said:
Are you saying that they functionally act the same, therefore they look the same? By that logic, "functionally, a car and a motorcycle look very much the same."

If you mean that, because XMB and the Metrofied UI share the concept of "simultaneous category and item navigation", the newer UI is ripping off the older UI, then be proud that you haven't noticed the obvious similarities between Metrofied UI and Vista Media Centre, or have used the main menu bar near the top of most desktop applications.

Then again, Apple can sue Samsung for a grid of icons on a desktop, so maybe I'm the one who is out of touch with reality.

eek5

xxracerxx said:
That doesn't even make sense. He brought up WMC because it came before XMB and I guess "functionally" it "looks" the same. Draw whatever conclusions you want lol.

eek5

Letters said:
That would be the people pointing out that XMB ripped off Microsoft's previous work.
Lol nobody actually thinks that. People are just pointing out how ridiculous saying MS ripped off XMB is.

eek5 said:
Lol nobody actually thinks that. People are just pointing out how ridiculous saying MS ripped off XMB is.

Does that mean they are going to now run a constantly streaming ad in a ticker telling me about the new Weezie single?

xxracerxx

Tenkei said:
Are you saying that they functionally act the same, therefore they look the same? By that logic, "functionally, a car and a motorcycle look very much the same."

If you mean that, because XMB and the Metrofied UI share the concept of "simultaneous category and item navigation", the newer UI is ripping off the older UI, then be proud that you haven't noticed the obvious similarities between Metrofied UI and Vista Media Centre, or have used the main menu bar near the top of most desktop applications.

Then again, Apple can sue Samsung for a grid of icons on a desktop, so maybe I'm the one who is out of touch with reality.
I am not saying MS nor Sony ripped off the idea. I am just saying that the new dashboard looks and seems to function much more like the XMB than before. I just thought it was funny how they are now more similar, and I found it especially funny when the guy posted "XMBNXE" so I posted Basically and two images.

EDIT: Some people are so defensive, can't even have a laugh anymore.

Sydle

upJTboogie said:
No, they're not the only money grubbing corporation, they're just the only one who forces you to see ads for movies, phones and other crap on the dashboard.

This reminds me, I need to go purchase another block of 1600 points for impulse purchases. I just can't believe how much money I've sunk into XBLA, so easy to shop for new stuff.

Mastperf

xxracerxx said:
I am not saying MS nor Sony ripped off the idea. I am just saying that the new dashboard looks and seems to function much more like the XMB than before. I just thought it was funny how they are now more similar, and I found it especially funny when the guy posted "XMBNXE" so I posted Basically and two images.

EDIT: Some people are so defensive, can't even have a laugh anymore.
I think it was mentioned and argued over (probably several times) in other threads about the update. It was more of an anti-thread derailment reaction.

xxracerxx

Mastperf said:
I think it was mentioned and argued over (probably several times) in other threads about the update. It was more of an anti-thread derailment reaction.
Ahhhh, this is the first time I have seen the new look. Ah well, people will get defensive about their consoles.

Apath

angelfly said:
You choose to not have your PS3 auto sign in like you have your 360 set to do.
You choose to sign into PSN for a month therefore missing updates when they get released.

It's the fault of you and not the system.
It's just a pain in the ass to deal with it, especially when every single other system I have doesn't pain me in the ass like this. If Sony wants to throw updates out so often, they need to stream line it and make it faster. Otherwise it will continue to just be a giant burden. Being forced to play the system regularly or expect long down times every time you want to play is a bullshit ultimatum.

The first point is 100% right though.

Tenkei

xxracerxx said:
I am not saying MS nor Sony ripped off the idea. I am just saying that the new dashboard looks and seems to function much more like the XMB than before.
You do realise that your statement is analogous to saying that Warhammer is similar to Warcraft, right? You're surprised that people will take issue with that?

xxracerxx

Tenkei said:
You do realise that your statement is analogous to saying that Warhammer is similar to Warcraft, right? You're surprised that people will take issue with that?
Sure. And I realize that now.

Cartman86

Banned
It's a media device that needs to promote new content. If not only to make money, but to make people aware quickly what is going on. The majority of people don't want to have to go into a specific section to find out what's new. If you can devote some space on the main pages why not? Just make sure you separate content correctly (home has general content, games has games etc.) I do however understand the argument about paying for Xbox Live Gold and still getting random ads that have nothing to do with content being sold on the system.

eek5 said:
IskBy.jpg

I know some people still like it but no thanks.

It was by far better than the NXE dashboard. The current dashboard is a complete mess in organization and I hated it ever since I got the early development build of it. This new dashboard looks like a huge improvement though and I hope they get it right. Especially the Kinect integration cuz the current integration is a mess too.

I'm hoping this is the case:

Metro > Blades > NXE

I will bet the house and kids they STILL won't have any of the following:

-- A friends list not capped at 100
-- The ability to appear offline when signing in to Xbox Live automatically
-- A customizable shutdown timer

Also, I bet the big fucking grey blob that covers half of the goddamn dashboard background will still be there.

Kenak said:
It's just a pain in the ass to deal with it, especially when every single other system I have doesn't pain me in the ass like this. If Sony wants to throw updates out so often, they need to stream line it and make it faster. Otherwise it will continue to just be a giant burden. Being forced to play the system regularly or expect long down times every time you want to play is a bullshit ultimatum.

The first point is 100% right though.
http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/history/

Huh

strata8

Am I using the same NXE as everyone else? The default 'Spotlight' section on NXE has just as many ads, if not more, than the home screen in this Metro interface. And even then, all the advertisement is for content inside Xbox Live.

IrishNinja

DjangoReinhardt said:
Hideous yet again. Give me an optional lite version without all of the nonsense, please.

this. i think i want to see my friends list, newest stuff on arcade, and be on about my business.
as a matter of fact, if all the XBL gold stuff could be hidden with an icon that wags its finger at me and calls me a cheap peasant or something, id be alright with that too.

Alx

The voice features on this update are nice. I hope they will be available in Europe too. :(

Anyway one of the nice aspects of that feature is that it makes all the ad-complaining irrelevant : you won't even need to look at your screen to start the functionality you want, you could just boot up your console and say what you want while doing something else (like looking for a game disc or grabbing popcorn), and your precious eyes won't have to suffer the sight of horrible ads. And it would even be faster than browsing the menus with a remote or a gamepad.

God Damn Metro looks amazing on the 360!

But still, why the hell can't I customise the games homescreen to have tiles for games that I want to access straight away by clicking on them, like Windows Phone 7? (Of course, that would mean less space for ads...)

Top Bottom