• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live: Fall 2011 Dashboard update preview

Zabka

I don't mind the current XBL interface because most of the ads are for new game releases and deals. Plopping a big ad for a fucking movie (or whatever non-game bullshit they have) as the centerpiece of your interface is too much for me to overlook.

enzo_gt said:
When I turn on my Xbox currently, I see ads for game-related shit. Maybe in the US y'all get bombarded with ads of unrelated content, but up here in Canada, not really, my homepage is full of game-related shit from Major Nelson to sales.

And I just posted the picture of the home tab taken up with 2/3rd non-gaming related ads.

enzo_gt said:
Also, you might be severely lost on all of this if you think you need to pay $60 to access XBLM.

I took the liberty of screen capping this for you. What's that price next to the "12 months"?

YQbC9.png

strata8

weekend_warrior said:
I took the liberty of screen capping this for you. What's that price next to the "12 months"?
For christ's sake, just read what others are saying to you. You most certainly do not have to pay $60 per year to access the Marketplace.

Dug

Banned
weekend_warrior said:
That's bullshit. In the very first picture you can see that full 2/3rds of the "usable" space is devouted to ads. One for a movie, one for a tv show, and one for a phone.

xbox2011dashupdate1236usb.jpeg

This is a paid service, people have to pay to have xbl. And it's service that's almost universally offered for free on every other platform. PSN is free, Steam is free, Facebook is free. It's the audacity of Microsoft that upsets people. It's not enough to charge for XBL, it's not enough that they offer an inferior product (that some people feel), but then they have to throw in ads. Not even in the store, but right in the home tab, the first thing you see when you turn your xbox on, ads. Ads for movies I don't want to see, shows I don't watch, and phones I can't afford.
I'm gonna be honest here, I just ignore the ads. They just don't bug me that much. *shrug*

Sydle

weekend_warrior said:
And I just posted the picture of the home tab taken up with 2/3rd non-gaming related ads.

YQbC9.png

The "ads" and additional services available are region based. Outside of the US there's a lot less movie and music content available so they don't see the same ads.

Totally missing the point. XBL is just a multi-media content platform and anyone can access it, shop, and buy anything they see. XBL Gold is to get online multi-player and access additional services (Netflix, Last.fm, Zune unlimited, Facebook, Twitter, etc.).

You're confusing the two to be the same thing, and making it incredibly clear you don't have a Xbox 360. It's a little strange you're even in here and kind of nutso that you're putting so much into it.

Majukun

weekend_warrior said:

YQbC9.png
yeah,that is the official price.
but you can find it easily at a much better price on internet, like 35-38 euros/dollars

strata8

weekend_warrior said:
Where did I say that? Quote me please.
Well, you quoted it yourself:
weekend_warrior said:
enzo_gt said:
Also, you might be severely lost on all of this if you think you need to pay $60 to access XBLM.

XBLM = Xbox Live Marketplace. And even if you didn't pick that up, Xbox Live still isn't a paid service.

Dug

Banned
weekend_warrior said:
Where did I say that? Quote me please.
weekend_warrior said:
Is that how you rationalize all the the ads, by saying "the whole UI is a store"? So people have to pay $60 a year for the privilege to shop at microsofts store?

(at least, that's what people think you were implying.)

Majukun said:
yeah,that is the official price.
but you can find it easily at a much better price on internet, like 35-38 euros/dollars
1 dollar is too much for XBL Gold so it is kind of irrelevant. Either way paying for a "premium" service and then getting ads is pathetic.

strata8

MTMBStudios said:
1 dollar is too much for XBL Gold so it is kind of irrelevant. Either way paying for a "premium" service and then getting ads is pathetic.
Do PS+ subscribers still get advertisements in the store?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
weekend_warrior said:

YQbC9.png
Oh wow.

Okay you are hearing and not listening to a SINGLE thing anyone is telling you in this thread. And you have proven you have never used, nor do you know anything about Xbox Live, at all. We are telling you what XBL and XBLM are and you refuse to distinguish the two in favor of the preconceptions you have in your head. Seriously, what did MS do to you for you to be this upset about something you know very little about?

NotTarts said:
Do PS+ subscribers still get advertisements in the store?
Yeah... in the store. On the PS3 it is actually possible to play any game without seeing any ad except the RSS feed. On the 360 this is IMPOSSIBLE whether you are gold or silver (while being online). I really do not have a problem seeing some light advertisements for products when I am actually shopping.

Sydle

MTMBStudios said:

You're right. I'm going to call Time Warner tomorrow and send a strongly worded letter to Amazon about my Prime membership. It will probably go something like:

"No, I don't want to know what content you have available that I may enjoy. I'll find it myself by reading blogs and keeping up on forums. Kthnxbye."

strata8

MTMBStudios said:
Yeah... in the store. On the PS3 it is actually possible to play any game without seeing any ad except the RSS feed. On the 360 this is IMPOSSIBLE whether you are gold or silver (while being online).
The store is integrated into the Xbox Live UI. That's all there is to it. By signing in to Xbox Live, you're 'entering the store' so to speak.

Dug said:
I'm gonna be honest here, I just ignore the ads. They just don't bug me that much. *shrug*
Ditto. One quick press of the up button, and all I see is games. Not sure how the new one goes.

I wonder if he's going to blow a gasket when he realizes that on of the tabs is "bing". Think about it. AN ENTIRE TAB OF THINGS YOU'D NEVER USE!

eastmen

Banned
MTMBStudios said:

I went to ren fen. I could have parked for free and walked 15 minutes through a forest to get to the fair , or I could have paid $5 for parking within a minute walk of the fair.

To me the $5 was well worth my time and effort esp since I would be walkin all day long and at the end of the day the walk back would be annoying.

To me using both psn and xbox 360. I will easily say the systems built into multiplayer xbox live are well worth the money I pay.

I pay $25 a year for my xbox gold which is $2.08 a month or 7 cents a day. To me its nothing , i skip out on a coffee twice a month .

Its well worth the service I'm given from xbox .

enzo_gt said:
Oh wow.

Okay you are hearing and not listening to a SINGLE thing anyone is telling you in this thread. And you have proven you have never used, nor do you know anything about Xbox Live, at all. We are telling you what XBL and XBLM are and you refuse to distinguish the two in favor of the preconceptions you have in your head. Seriously, what did MS do to you for you to be this upset about something you know very little about?

That's because I thought you wrote XBLG. I wasn't talking about the marketplace, I'm talking about the services MS charges you for, that are normally offered for free. Like multiplayer and Netfix, and yet still that flood you with ads.

That was the whole point of the tangent.

NotTarts said:
The store is integrated into the Xbox Live UI. That's all there is to it. By signing in to Xbox Live, you're 'entering the store' so to speak.

And that's terrible UI design.

MTMBStudios said:
Sometimes I wonder how many people would drop XBL Gold if the Online Play wasn't paywalled? 95%? I know it is a little off topic but has anyone done like polls or surveys on that topic?

Then why would you pay for Live gold, but then again there are people that pay for PSN+ so I digress.

Sydle

MTMBStudios said:
Yeah... in the store. On the PS3 it is actually possible to play any game without seeing any ad except the RSS feed. On the 360 this is IMPOSSIBLE whether you are gold or silver (while being online).

Tsk, tsk. On PS3, even if you start on the Game icon you have to go past the Playstation Store icon to get to your game. Or, if you start on the Playstation Network icon you'll see the What's New icon and window (unless you disable it), the Home icon, and the Playstation Store icon. Remember! Anything that isn't the game you want to play is an ad!

And, whew, boy, if you accidentally go past the Game icon you'll see TV/Video Services which has ads for DirectTV, MLB.TV, Vudu, Netflix, and NHL. Commence meltdown!

It's also not impossible to never see an ad on 360. You can boot straight to disc, or you can choose to start without auto-signing in, start your game, and then sign in via the guide.

weekend_warrior said:
That's because I thought you wrote XBLG. I wasn't talking about the marketplace, I'm talking about the services MS charges you for, that are normally offered for free. Like multiplayer and Netfix, and yet still that flood you with ads.

That was the whole point of the tangent.

There are ads on multiplayer and Netflix?

You should go to bed, you don't even know what you are arguing for or against right now.

Paco said:
Tsk, tsk. On PS3, even if you start on the Game icon you have to go past the Playstation Store icon to get to your game. Or, if you start on the Playstation Network icon you'll see the What's New icon and window (unless you disable it), the Home icon, and the Playstation Store icon. Remember! Anything that isn't the game you want to play is an ad!
That is the thing. You have a choice. MY PS3 starts up to the Game section.

Also...
Boots up PS3.
On game section it defaults to the game in my tray, not the store. Tsk, tsk. So quite literally, zero ads except the RSS feed. Then I can push down and go to my PSN games if I want and still see zero ads.

AlphaTwo00 said:
Ditto. One quick press of the up button, and all I see is games. Not sure how the new one goes.

I wonder if he's going to blow a gasket when he realizes that on of the tabs is "bing". Think about it. AN ENTIRE TAB OF THINGS YOU'D NEVER USE!

If Bing work as advertise on their preview, I think it will be the best thing they could have add to the UI. The store is so messy and confusing, now you can just have everything present to you. I used to like when you can click Y on the game you are playing and it will show you all the available contents but they took that out to speed up the UI (which apparently after awhile it doesn't seems to matter, now My Xbox library is just as slow before NXE.

As for the new Metro, your game is right there at Home screen so you don't have to flick up. (Though you know there are all those "in your face" tiles now that you can't avoid).

Sydle

MTMBStudios said:

Also...
Boots up PS3.
On game section it defaults to the game in my tray, not the store. Tsk, tsk. Zero visual ads except the ticker.

But you still have to SEE the Playstation Store ad, son.

Paco said:
But you still have to SEE the Playstation Store ad, son.
See what ad? The IMAGE of the Playstation Store ICON? I don't really think that is an ad as much as saying the video icon is an ad. I see no advertisements for other games, gamer fuel, mw3, or any other none sense. I just see my game.

MTMBStudios said:

Also...
Boots up PS3.
On game section it defaults to the game in my tray, not the store. Tsk, tsk. So quite literally, zero ads except the RSS feed. Then I can push down and go to my PSN games if I want and still see zero ads.

So if you except the ads you see then you don't see any ads? That's pretty cool.

Sydle

MTMBStudios said:
See what ad, the IMAGE of the playstation store ICON? I don't really think that is an ad as much as saying the video icon is an ad.

That's an ad according to some GAF. Something you have to see that you weren't looking for.

bigtroyjon said:
So if you except the ads you see then you don't see any ads? That's pretty cool.
A scrolling white font rss ticker at a low size font is not really comparable to a nearly fullscreen image saying BUY GOLD.

MTMBStudios said:
A scrolling white font rss ticker at a low size font is not really comparable to a nearly fullscreen image saying BUY GOLD.
LOL, we have gone from a small image that most people barely notice, to "2/3 of usable space", to "nearly fullscreen". I wonder what it will turn into next!

stephen08 said:
It looks okay, I suppose this means all the themes are going to look weird again as well?

I think they look strange even with current UI. Have they shown what Bing screen looks like? I am assuming they will probably used Bing splash screen photograph. It would be cool if Bing screen is your wallpaper ...

I am partial to Metro design so I really like the current step Microsoft is taken in unify all their UI across all their products.

Iknos

Looks good to me. Voice support really makes this work for me and it's about tine companies used all of their technologies to their potential. Hoping the games list loads quicker I have almost 2 dozen arcade games and that is taking longer and longer to load.

Already have a kinect but if this didn't work with headsets that would be pretty sad.

So not watch NASCAR weekend warrior you will have a heart attack.

Persona7

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Buy em again, sucka!
Have they even repackaged any old themes to resell?

I have a old bulletwitch theme that I loved on the Blades but when I use it now it sucks and there is not a updated version.

zoner said:
You guys do know you can just set the xbox to immediately launch the game in your disc, right?
upJTboogie said:
Not close to a good enough solution, there are a lot of things people want to do on their Xbox besides launching to a disc.
Actually, that's not the case. I think you'll find that if people are completely ignoring all forms of advertising, then they wouldn't have any idea what the Xbox does aside from play games. They certainly wouldn't be using Netflix or XBLA or anything. They also wouldn't even own any Xbox games anyway because they wouldn't have any idea what was available on the system. System? What system? They wouldn't even know the Xbox existed without advertising. It's baffling that people are still bitching about adverts on a forum which is basically dedicated to spreading the word about new games, which is, erm, a form of advertising.

I went into GAME yesterday to buy a new game, and they had a poster on the wall about buying Kinect bundles. I was all "SCREW YOU, GAME. I CAME IN HERE TO SPEND MONEY AND NOW YOU'RE ADVERTISING TO ME?!" I smashed that shit up. True story.

Not a true story.

What is a true story, though, is that I was on my dashboard yesterday waiting for something to download, and so I clicked on the Gumball ad. I watched a couple of Gumball videos and they made me laugh, so now I'm aware of Gumball which is a cartoon that I would enjoy watching. OH, THE HORROR.

CozMick

Banned
Surely the advertising on the dashboard can't get any worse.

Did a count a few minutes ago...55 adverts on the dashboard before even clicking into a menu

Disgusting!

CozMick

Banned
Zeouterlimits said:
55? Explain please.

Advertising for games, deoderant, sky tv, zune, dlc, movies.....

There are 55 individual squares of adverts.

For comparisons sake there are 2 on the PS3 xmb, Whats New and Music Unlimited.

CozMick said:
On PS3 there are 2, Whats New and Music Unlimited.
And this is why games sell better on XBLA, which tempts more developers to the platform, which means we have better games to play on our 360s.

CozMick

Banned
toythatkills said:
And this is why games sell better on XBLA, which tempts more developers to the platform, which means we have better games to play on our 360s.

Well that's a nice spin you put on it, to each there own I suppose.

Personally with that amount of advertising I shouldn't be paying for my XBLA games nevermind my Gold subscription.

CozMick said:
Advertising for games, deoderant, sky tv, zune, dlc, movies.....

There are 55 individual squares of adverts.

For comparisons sake there are 2 on the PS3 xmb, Whats New and Music Unlimited.

I am pretty sure you don't have to scroll through all 55 "ads" to get to your game. And again, don't care to see ads or what being offer on Live then don't sign into Live. Just as if you don't want to see what PSN have to offer don't sign into PSN store.

wwm0nkey

CozMick said:
Well that's a nice spin you put on it, to each there own I suppose.

Personally with that amount of advertising I shouldn't be paying for my XBLA games nevermind my Gold subscription.
no

Can you count thro'ugh these 55 non-menu click ads. Because before the only non menu ones are the 6 on the spotlight menu.
CozMick said:
Actually you must be crazy, never mind.

Top Bottom