• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE Indie Games - The April 2011 Thread

wwm0nkey said:
I swear I am going to kill DJkeemstar, he keeps on calling Fortresscraft his game. The developer really should just tell him to piss off already.

He's the idea man!

Idea 1: Make it more like Minecraft.

I bet the developer is telling this guy what to do so that his game gets negative and positive attention (any attention is better then none) and so he as a developer doesn't look bad because "No man I got nothing to do with my PR person!".

wwm0nkey

MTMBStudios said:
I bet the developer is telling this guy what to do so that his game gets negative and positive attention (any attention is better then none) and so he as a developer doesn't look bad because "No man I got nothing to do with my PR person!".
Can we still kill Keemstar though? :(

wwm0nkey

Well Keemstar took down the video (guess at the request of the real developer) and apparently they made almost 250k in the first day.

Despite the undeserved sales I am wondering if this will cause MS to focus more on the Indie game channel since they are also making a good amount of $$$ on this too.

qupe1975

Neo Member
OOzi is a nice game unfortunately I can see what some people may have been put off purchasing it.

The game is very slow to start off and you don't have even basic moves like a double jump. The initial story mode is fairly dull for the first couple of stages as you lack moves.

The first challenge/arcade mode should be open when the game starts. Edit: I think it may have been, but as they are all open I can't tell now, but this is the better part of this chapter for me.

The lead character could have done with a bit more animation. I know it's an 80pt game, but he kind lacks charm with that grin stuck on his face the whole way through and you see the polish on everything else.

The game does remind me a lot of Supercow on this service and not Superfrog as everyone seemed to compare it too.

OnPoint

wwm0nkey said:
Well Keemstar took down the video (guess at the request of the real developer) and apparently they made almost 250k in the first day.

Despite the undeserved sales I am wondering if this will cause MS to focus more on the Indie game channel since they are also making a good amount of $$$ on this too.

EDITED

I'm really bad at math.

If I'm doing this right, 250K is 70% of somewhere around $357,143, right? That means 30% would be somewhere around $107,143, which is what Microsoft's cut would be.

This is pocket change to a company like this. Do you think that's enough for them to rethink the entire service?

wwm0nkey

SmallCaveGames said:
I agree - and the report I saw was much lower sales than that (still really good, but not that good).
Yeah the actual creator siad they sold 30k copies so no way they made 250k like Keemstar said.

wwm0nkey said:
Yeah the actual creator siad they sold 30k copies so no way they made 250k like Keemstar said.
I don't care either way. It's none of my business really, but my girlfriend says $16K was their earnings on their first day.

They really need to fix the rating system to only allow people who have at least played the demo first, though.

wwm0nkey

Dark Octave said:
I don't care either way. It's none of my business really, but my girlfriend says $16K was their earnings on their first day.

They really need to fix the rating system to only allow people who have at least played the demo first, though.
This really needs to be addressed soon.

SmallCaveGames

Neo Member
MEAT

Yeah the Inca Blocks post was shocking but important. It basically taints all ratings in my book. I could have the top rated game tomorrow with a little legwork. Or (a smarter dev) do it in moderation just to get a nice bump without drawing attention.

BROKEN

Rough month - really hoping DBP takes the focus off all of this garbage and we get the obvious fixes installed in the meantime.

Onionkid

Hey, just wanted to post here real fast - been trolling these boards for a while, finally now have the ability to post and let me say that this is the best thread on this site IMHO. I've bought SO many games at your guys' recommendation...at this point I must own at least 30-50 indie games and I look forward to being able to post some relevant comments on new ones coming out!

Onionkid said:
Hey, just wanted to post here real fast - been trolling these boards for a while, finally now have the ability to post and let me say that this is the best thread on this site IMHO. I've bought SO many games at your guys' recommendation...at this point I must own at least 30-50 indie games and I look forward to being able to post some relevant comments on new ones coming out!
Welcome. Nice name and avatar. Glad we have helped fulfill your life in some way. Thanks for supporting indie games. Look forward to seeing you around.

Onionkid

Ty Dark Octave! Ha, I think *trolling* was the wrong word there, more like lurking. Point being, tyvm to this community! BTW: Top recommendations to any other newcomers as far as sheer money/value would be:

Epic Dungeon
Miner Dig Deep
Aban Hawkins & the 1000 Spikes
Breath of Death VII
Cthulhu Saves the World
Hypership Out of Control
radiangames JoyJoy
Score Rush
Soulcaster
The Drinking Game (I feel so bad recommending such a p.o.s. game, but I can't deny that it's gotten my friends and I drunk numerous times now, granted with varying rules to the drinking distribution ha...make your own rules up and it's fantastic!)
The TEMPURA of the DEAD
Protect Me Knight

By far, the most entertainment I've gotten outta XBLIG, but certainly not always the best games. Every single radiangames can be listed, as can games like Alawishus Pixel etc...but those games just on my personal basis have been absolutely worth the value x10, so wanted to share!

qupe1975

Neo Member
I am thinking of doing a top 50 Indies game list. However, I want it to be voted for by you guys and people from other forums, if possible. I'll collect information over a period of say a few weeks to a month so will have to create a cut off point for games that can't be included.

People PM me say 10-20 games and I'll collate the most recommended and publish a list. Just games, links and cost. No reviews.

Would anyone be up for it?

qupe1975 said:
I am thinking of doing a top 50 Indies game list. However, I want it to be voted for by you guys and people from other forums, if possible. I'll collect information over a period of say a few weeks to a month so will have to create a cut off point for games that can't be included.

People PM me say 10-20 games and I'll collate the most recommended and publish a list. Just games, links and cost. No reviews.

Would anyone be up for it?
Sounds good, but you need reviews. At least a line or two to say why the game is good. Lists are boring, and seeing a list of fifty names of games won't tell me why I should care about them and would just be ignored

EDIT: Goodbye, cute avatar :(

qupe1975

Neo Member
toythatkills said:
Sounds good, but you need reviews. At least a line or two to say why the game is good. Lists are boring, and seeing a list of fifty names of games won't tell me why I should care about them and would just be ignored

EDIT: Goodbye, cute avatar :(

I am thinking where to post to get people to vote. Here, possibly Grcade too, the Indie page on facebook. Know anywhere else I can grab people to do some lists.

If 20 games do you think it's best to do a score based system. First 20 points, 20th 1 point? or just base it purely on the number of votes? I could possibly do 20th is 0.5pts and 1st is 10pts.

Kafel

Banned
I've tried Hello Rocket last night and it was surprisingly good. Nice little game in the vein of Angry Birds/Boom Boat that everyone should try.

SmallCaveGames

Neo Member
Will do - for any ZPK2X fans, there's a small (8+) group of twitterers who are planning thursday evening sessions too. @SmallCaveGames, and then I can link you up.

I got my ass handed to me but it was fun.

For the top 50 list, do something different. I like lists, but I've see the same 50 games listed several times, and we already have a top 50 on the dash, the recent OXM list, etc. I can name 30 of the 50 that will be picked without even trying because they already have exposure.

Have you guys seen the pivot table on xboxindies.com? Use that and do something like "Top 3 co-op shooters" "Top 3 top-down racers" "Top 5 retro platformers for a buck" "Top 2011 puzzle games" or something.

Kafel

Banned
Some recent pictures from Owlboy. Apparently they're still alive and kicking at D-Pad Studio, with a release planned for this Summer.

screenBuccanaryShop01.png

screenBuccanaryShop02.png

imgOtusDiveSml.png

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Onionkid said:

Friendly, nice username and avatar, and you're already contributing. You'll do fine here :)

OnPoint

Kafel said:
Some recent pictures from Owlboy. Apparently they're still alive and kicking at D-Pad Studio, with a release planned for this Summer.

http://www.roflgames.com/DPadWebsite/www/Images/Owlboy/Screens/screenBuccanaryShop01.png[/IM]

[IMG]http://www.roflgames.com/DPadWebsite/www/Images/Owlboy/Screens/screenBuccanaryShop02.png[/I]

[IMG]http://roflgames.com/Images/Owlboy/Screens/imgOtusDiveSml.png[/IM][/QUOTE]

*drools*

That looks incredible

Feep

Banned
Kafel said:
Delta Energy 2.0 is out.

http://catalog.create.msdn.com/en-U...d=399a373f-68d3-4fe2-b60f-868357be1cd2&type=2

wtf.

the dev creates an impressive 3D tank game with helicopters and jets for 240 points but he ruins everything with cheap ridiculous sounds and noises
I know the sky is probably just a picture he took, but it still seems really impressive to me. = D

Number one thing indie devs completely ignore: Fonts. I swear to God if you don't spend at least three days looking for your font(s) you're doing it wrong.

Feep said:
Number one thing indie devs completely ignore: Fonts. I swear to God if you don't spend at least three days looking for your font(s) you're doing it wrong.
Absolutely. I'm sick of seeing the same fonts in XBLIGs over and over again and I know they're not professional, but it looks really unprofessional and you could at least try to give that appearance. I told a guy in playtest to change his font because it didn't fit with the game at all. Gonna mention it to another guy soon, too :)

EDIT: And Comic Sans. What are people thinking?

Feep

Banned
toythatkills said:
Absolutely. I'm sick of seeing the same fonts in XBLIGs over and over again and I know they're not professional, but it looks really unprofessional and you could at least try to give that appearance. I told a guy in playtest to change his font because it didn't fit with the game at all. Gonna mention it to another guy soon, too :)

EDIT: And Comic Sans. What are people thinking?
I will literally not give any business, digital or on the street corner, my hard earned dollars if Comic Sans appears in any context at said business.

I am such a nerd.

coamithra

Feep said:
I will literally not give any business, digital or on the street corner, my hard earned dollars if Comic Sans appears in any context at said business.

I am such a nerd.
What if it's a comic shop?

Feep said:

I am such a nerd.
I think I'll still hold out for Sequence: Comic Sans Edition, just in case.

Feep

Banned
toythatkills said:
I think I'll still hold out for Sequence: Comic Sans Edition, just in case.
WBuR1.jpg

xBB31.jpg

Sequence: Comic Sans edition comes with Comic Sans font and hilarious fart sound effects, all for only $19.99!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Those Owlboy screens look fantastic! Definitely will be one to watch...

I'm really impressed at how some of these 2D indie games have been looking nowadays... Oozi was another game that looked really pretty.

Top Bottom