• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE Indie Games - The October 2011 Thread

qupe1975

Neo Member
toythatkills said:
I was thinking, if there's a few people that wanted to make OPs we could just rotate between us and have a different person's take on the games every month. Could be pretty interesting, and I'd still be up for doing OPs every few months if some other people were doing them other times.

Splitting the load as I mentioned above (pg3.) is probably the best thing in this situation.

I tell you who I haven't seen in this thread for a while is Kafel, has he been banned again? He wanted to do something months ago but never seemed to do it.

Could you maybe each month cover a category of games in the thread also. So next month say Action & Adventure games you may have missed, the next month maybe puzzle games, but maybe cover 5 games a month or something. Maybe get people in the thread to mention suggestions for the following months category to be covered?

Feep

Banned
Hey guys,

What XNA games are currently on Steam? I'm trying to find one that uses XNA 4.0, but I'm having trouble. Bastion uses XNA 3.1, Blocks That Matter was ported over to native C++, and I don't know any others that are too recent...

Cthulthu Saves The World was released back in January, so that still could have used 3.1...not sure, though.

Edit: Magicka is also 3.1.

Feep

Banned
This is kind of an emergency. If I can't figure this out in about 80 minutes (I need to see a working XNA 4.0 installscript), I may need to push back the launch of Sequence till Monday. = (

slash000

Zeboyd Games
Feep said:
Hey guys,

What XNA games are currently on Steam? I'm trying to find one that uses XNA 4.0, but I'm having trouble. Bastion uses XNA 3.1, Blocks That Matter was ported over to native C++, and I don't know any others that are too recent...

Cthulthu Saves The World was released back in January, so that still could have used 3.1...not sure, though.

Edit: Magicka is also 3.1.

CSTW is 4.0

edit: Just saw your posts after this. I just wanted to clarify anyway, that indeed, CSTW is 4.0 :)

edit2: BODVII was converted to 4.0 for the PC as well.

wwm0nkey

Avatar Golf is on the Spotlight right now, seems that Xbox are advertising all the good indie games.

EDIT: Actually it keeps changing, now its Cthulhu Saves The World

wwm0nkey said:
Avatar Golf is on the Spotlight right now, seems that Xbox are advertising all the good indie games.

EDIT: Actually it keeps changing, now its Cthulhu Saves The World
Is this at any cost to devs? Did they win a contest? How does this work?

Dark Octave said:
Is this at any cost to devs? Did they win a contest? How does this work?

It is a Microsoft promotion where they picked which games to promote...and at no cost to the devs.

Pretty cool of them to do that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
slash000 said:
CSTW is 4.0

edit: Just saw your posts after this. I just wanted to clarify anyway, that indeed, CSTW is 4.0 :)

edit2: BODVII was converted to 4.0 for the PC as well.

IIRC you guys had some last minute installer hiccups too, right? Hahaha. Seems like it might be worthwhile for either yourself or Feep to make a public tutorial for XNA devs hoping to release on Steam ;)

slash000

Zeboyd Games
barkers crest said:
It is a Microsoft promotion where they picked which games to promote...and at no cost to the devs.

Pretty cool of them to do that.

Very cool of them. I think this is an experiment in promoting Xblig a bit better than it has been in the past. Perhaps if this meets whatever their criteria for success is, they'll proceed to rotate out the ad with other games in the future, I dunno. Whatever the case, it was an extremely cool thing of them to do.

Miutsu

Stumpokapow said:
IIRC you guys had some last minute installer hiccups too, right? Hahaha. Seems like it might be worthwhile for either yourself or Feep to make a public tutorial for XNA devs hoping to release on Steam ;)

That would actually be very convenient (although im FAAAAAAAAAAAR from releasing anything yet, let alone on steam.... *sad*)

qupe1975 said:
I tell you who I haven't seen in this thread for a while is Kafel, has he been banned again?

Yep.

Just downloaded another sack of games.
Also got Platform Hack. Not sure what to say about this one, although I can't imagine much of it being positive.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
Stumpokapow said:

Heh, we did. But I'm thinking that releasing some kind of tutorial regarding Steam would break certain things that were signed when working out the deal with Steam/Valve in the first place.

WaaghMan

Neo Member
No offense, but how exactly the promotion can help XBLIG? I said the same with the IGSU dashboad promotion, and the IGWU one. If you just let people download the advertised game, you're not letting them know there's a whole section called Indie games full of interesting titles.

So, good for the games promoted, no effect to the platform as a whole. End of story.

JFizzle

Neo Member
WaaghMan said:
No offense, but how exactly the promotion can help XBLIG? I said the same with the IGSU dashboad promotion, and the IGWU one. If you just let people download the advertised game, you're not letting them know there's a whole section called Indie games full of interesting titles.

So, good for the games promoted, no effect to the platform as a whole. End of story.
Well surely there's some percentage of people who saw the ads and became aware of xblig because of those ads and then went to browse the channel. Maybe they saw the ads and were like, "indie games? what?" and then went browsing the dashboard/internet to learn more, or maybe they checked out the dev's website after playing the game and learned about xblig through that, maybe they talked to a friend about it, etc.

And you're not thinking past stage 1. If MS continues to do promotions like these then devs are more likely to release better games for the channel, and get more exposure for the channel (every game has a chance to get press, go viral, advertise, etc.)

FunInfusedGames said:
A top rated approach that takes just the most recent stuff would be a better automatically created listing... for instance it would display the top rated games released in the past 30 days.

I don't think showing the Top Rated or Top Downloaded page first would be a good solution as those lists so often don't change and Top Downloaded would change even less if you present it first.
I don't think the top downloaded would change less if it was first, I could actually make a case for the opposite, but either way I think the difference would be very small.

It's also pretty dynamic, especially compared to top rated. Look back at the archives here, all green & red text are changes (only time there were blue-only days was when the list was frozen, but that's not a problem anymore thanks to the 7 day change). And take a look at the top downloaded now, there's new games in the top ten all the time.

So, why do yall want a new list that's based on ratings instead of sales? If the top rated games were better than the top selling games, why aren't they selling as much? Seems like the more hardcore gamers who post on forums/blogs are buying the top rated games, while a bigger demographic on xbox live are buying the top downloaded games. This group obviously outweighs you guys, yet you want another list that caters to your interests instead of theirs? And it should be presented first?

Why not use xbox.com, sort by release date and pick out some games that have above x stars? You don't even have to click on the games to see the ratings, they're right there. You can do the same on the dashboard, it just takes a little longer, but usually the box art and title is enough to tell me whether or not I might be interested in the game.

And if you want hand-picked new releases, again: Kotaku's Favorites. If you say this isn't very visible to newcomers, read my last post. It's visible on my tv without any scrolling, it might take one or two presses on the joystick to notice it on other tv's. But top downloaded & top rated are better for newcomers anyway, and before they've soaked those lists up, by the time they're hungry for another list, they'll have noticed Kotaku's Favorites by then, or maybe they'll have noticed you can browse by genre and sort by ratings/downloads if they're just so hungry for new games like you guys seem to be. So I really don't think there's a problem here. Everything is fine, and if MS is going to promote games like this, great.

So, why do yall want a new list that's based on ratings instead of sales? If the top rated games were better than the top selling games, why aren't they selling as much? Seems like the more hardcore gamers who post on forums/blogs are buying the top rated games, while a bigger demographic on xbox live are buying the top downloaded games. This group obviously outweighs you guys, yet you want another list that caters to your interests instead of theirs? And it should be presented first?

This is how the market has become... people looking for good games don't come here anymore or as often as people just looking for silly timewasters. A lot of us would like to make good games and have them sell well but the way XBLIG is organized isn't conducive to that. If you're wondering why the quality of games on XBLIG has declined, this is it. If you're happy with XBLIG becoming more and more filled with crap and with developers that want to make quality products going elsewhere, then leave things as they are.

And if you want hand-picked new releases, again: Kotaku's Favorites. If you say this isn't very visible to newcomers, read my last post. It's visible on my tv without any scrolling, it might take one or two presses on the joystick to notice it on other tv's.
I can tell you first hand that the sales you get from these lists is far less than what the first list (new releases) is. You should reward the better games with the best positioning. Right now it rewards new releases, meaning it pays more to release often. I can release a game every month and sell a thousand copies or I can spend 6 months on a better release and sell two thousand copies... financially the later makes little sense.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I bought Apple Jack (I've had the demo on my HDD for like a year and just never pulled the trigger) and Aron's Journey to Dreamland this weekend.

I really appreciate that XBLIG is one of the best ways to get the kind of games that used to be common as PC freeware, and it's nice to be able to pitch a buck or two to developers who are making quality product.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
WaaghMan said:
Any feedback on Avatar Panic, guys? I'd love to hear some, good or bad ;).

Very enjoyable! Legitamately feels like it's conscious of all the bells and whistles that made Buster Bros. a fun game. In a way, it feels like a solid "HD Remake", with litte things like the backgrounds rotating JUST a bit, to show they have 3D depth, or the half-laters used to restrict downward only movement, instead of letting you climb up and down everywhere.

Music and sounds are wonderfully appropriate, the avatar animations are pretty nice, the pacing in general feels good, the "pop" timing and float of the bubbles feels spot-on with your movement and shooting mechanics... just feels very solid, overall.

The addition of multiplayer makes it even better, though I could see it falling apart a bit with 4 players causing tiny bubbles to form everywhere over the screen.

Oh, and I REALLY like the "Other games" section with the boxarts, info blurbs, and screenshots that are provided here. For the amount of volume they have, Milkstone has produced some very nice releases. Some of the better feeling controls on the service, which makes Raventhorne a bigger disappointment, lol. It'd be great to see a "Version 2.0" update of that game.

-----

Random Props: I just got around to playing Doc Logic the other day... GREAT GAME! I liked it more than I thought I would. It's cover had cool artwork, but I kinda wish they used the covers from the other artist shown in the games awesome gallery. Hope we get to see a game with 16 bit Doc one day, too! ;)

Can the people who are interested in doing XBLIG OPs PM me their email addresses so I can send ya stuff, and let me know if you wanna do next month's thread or not!

WaaghMan

Neo Member
Thank you for the feedback SAB. We're going to publish an update that fixes some issues some people has found, such as the background being disturbing (moves a little bit too much, bright colors). I just wanted to gather some more feedback before I started the review process.

qupe1975 said:
Is anyone expereincing issues downloading games?

I can't download Lightfish, Oto or Castle of Pixelskulls

Yeah I can't download them either. I saw on twitter IndieGamerChick complaining about it too and apparently Xbox Support is aware it's an issue. Newest game up also has no boxart or screens again.

Made some posters for the office. The quality of them in real life is pretty nice.

rOHEy.jpg

They look ace. Got the ol' orange/blue thing going on =P

Finally was able to download Castle of Pixelskulls. It's a bit nice, but mostly horrible. I like how it plays a lot, very Platformance-y in a way, but with an attack button. Unfortunately, no controller deadzone will kill it for basically everyone with a 360 controller older than six months. Also, the time limit on levels seems, well, pointless. If you don't finish a level in time you're just kicked back to the title screen and have to start again. This is not how you add a challenge to your game.

toythatkills, are you going to keep your blog going?

SAB CA said:
-----

Random Props: I just got around to playing Doc Logic the other day... GREAT GAME! I liked it more than I thought I would. It's cover had cool artwork, but I kinda wish they used the covers from the other artist shown in the games awesome gallery. Hope we get to see a game with 16 bit Doc one day, too! ;)

Hey thanks :) Actually doclogic 2 was the original idea....doc logic 1 was merely an arcade-style prequel. Doc 2 is about the graphics changing in the game world from 8bit to hand-drawn (like the cover art)....doc notices this change, and it sparks an existential crisis, with doc ultimately discovering he's just in a video game. Kind of like movie "truman show".

Gameplay is basically metroidvania, with doc going back and forth between 8bit and hand-drawn worlds. It will be years before we start doc2 though, I need to learn more about existentialism first.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
HadesGigas said:
DLC Quest, the new game from Lair of the Evildoer dev Going Loud Studios looks pretty good:

What happens when DLC goes too far? Defeat the bad guy, save the world and get the girl! But first you'll need to find coins to buy DLC to enable animation, sound and even pausing.

Unless it plays like a cream pie sliding down a wall, 100% sold. What a fun idea, haha.

Gaspode_T

That's a very clever idea, can't wait to buy it and earn my DLC the proper way (in game)

By the way the dev of that game has a post mortem of Lair of the Evildoer here:
http://benkane.wordpress.com/2011/08/18/post-mortem-lair-of-the-evildoer/

I really wish I could play XBLIG games on the go. Most of them, in my opinion, are very suited for tablet form factors. If Windows 8 will support XNA apps on its app store, I hope to see all these games on there when I have a Windows 8 tablet in my hands.

I'm playing through a few games to have something for next thread. I won't be able to review but a few titles, but there are a few hidden jems from this month.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Played a bit of Escape Goat, pretty cool game with one of the better retro aesthetics I've seen on XBLIG. Very reminiscent of Solomon's Key, I'm gonna probably drop the $3 on it.

Top Bottom