• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Ultimate Game Sale (Feb 18th - 24th)

Dunlop

Worst sale ever, if only because of the cold feet MS apparently got. Meh.

I'm disappointed because I wanted MCC, but to be fair it was never officially listed at 60% off

I was lucky that I jumped on LoTF when it was under $10

Tsukumo

Wanted to buy LOTF, Halo MCC and Alien but after these shenanigans I'll take my money elsewhere. Going to grab Tomb Raider DE on Ps4 and Killzone on the PS4 sale.

jesu

Get Sherlock. Alien can still drop further and likely will before the Summer, but Sherlock getting a price cut feels like it might be one of those once in a blood moon type deal.

If anyone is bummed about MCC possibly not being in the sale, drown your sorrows in Sherlock.

Halo wasn't the bargain I hoped it would be, so I went with Sherlock.
I played one of the last gen ones that was pretty good.

Worst sale ever, if only because of the cold feet MS apparently got. Meh.

I thought it was great, got Lara Croft, Sherlock Holmes, How To Survive, Kinect Sports and Sniper Elite 3 for $60

And South Park Stick Of Truth for £7.49

Wow, I specifically bought other games on sale so that I would have $24 left for when Halo MCC dropped, and now its $36. Now considering getting something else instead, so far I have bough Alien Isolation, Styx, and Guacamelee. Maybe Trials.

Fantasia and pes2015 worth the sale prices? Been playing Fifa the past couple years but used to play a lot of the ps2 winning elevens, I take it there are no option files for this one?

Fantasia I thought would be a decent game for the wife to try out.

PES has a demo in the store. I think it plays far better offline than FIFA, and MyClub is a good addition, but it's underpopulated compared to FIFA. Master League is fun, but the mechanics behind it are admittedly more arcade than sim - but it plays a great game of football.

And you're right, no option files for next gen - limitations imposed by Microsoft and Sony, apparently. You can just stick to the licensed divisions though - France and Spain both have licensed second tiers in PES 2015, and that helps a lot for immersion in Master League and Become a Legend. I think it's a return to form.

Can't really help you on Fantasia though, sorry.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I bought Costume Quest 2 for 4 quid, should be worth that hopefully.

It is. I picked it up yesterday and have really enjoyed it. Its exactly the same as the first game so if you liked that you are safe.

Really disappointed with not being able to get Lords of the Fallen. That's the type of game I would never pay full price for because I know I wouldn't put a lot of time into it. But now that I can't rent games anywhere I miss out on trying it out.

jesu

Wow, I specifically bought other games on sale so that I would have $24 left for when Halo MCC dropped, and now its $36. Now considering getting something else instead, so far I have bough Alien Isolation, Styx, and Guacamelee. Maybe Trials.

Sherlock is 24, that's what got instead of halo

So MICROSOFT just pulled a 180 on the MCC, SMH. I was ready to jump at 24, but for 36 I'm out. Let me look into Sherlock holmes. How I never heard of the game until now, idk

So MICROSOFT just pulled a 180 on the MCC, SMH. I was ready to jump at 24, but for 36 I'm out. Let me look into Sherlock holmes. How I never heard of the game until now, idk

SH is great. Its not all that difficult but its fun to go through the cases, do the investigations, I really liked it a game that I was very impressed by

flkraven

Evidence that something really fucking weird is going on with this sale, despite it seeming random and harmless:

1. Early leak of the sale document from the 'TEST' site. I've never seen them run a TEST like that before.

2. Lords of the Fallen goes on sale for $9-$10 for a few hours and is prominently displayed on the sale screen. Suddenly it disappears, and MS pretends it was never supposed to be on sale (despite it being on the test doc and actually listed on sale for several hours). Does not return for the weekend specials.

3. For some reason, MS holds back some sales for the weekend only. I remember them doing daily sales in the past, but I never remember them doing weekend-exclusive specials. It is strange and unprecedented.

4. Halo goes on sale, but for 40% off not 60%. Not much of a controversy since it was never formally listed at 60% but strange nonetheless.

5. (Possibly Canada only) Trials Fusion has a tile listed at 60-67% off. When you go to the tile, it just has the vanilla game and the season pass as 2 different options. Trials Fusion is not on sale, and is listed as the regular price. The game + season pass IS on sale, but is not on the sale page. It needs to be found via search.

6. There is a wide array of games that are currently on sale, but aren't listed or advertised ANYWHERE as on sale. These are actually decent sales, and include games like Strider (66% off) and How to Survive: Storm Warning Edition (60%).

7. Very strange marketing decisions, ie. Shadow of Mordor is on sale all week, but the Season Pass is a weekend only special?

In conclusion: Something is up. This really feels like they had no plans of throwing together a big sale, and decided to do it at the last minute. I've gotten a few games so I can't complain, but this really feels like an incompetent mess.

3. For some reason, MS holds back some sales for the weekend only. I remember them doing daily sales in the past, but I never remember them doing weekend-exclusive specials. It is strange and unprecedented.

I don't think there is an issue with that, perhaps its something they want to do, it might be new but theres wrong with them deciding to do it and it is clearly listed in the pic of the OP (from the leak) that they are planned weekend things

flkraven

I don't think there is an issue with that, perhaps its something they want to do, it might be new but theres wrong with them deciding to do it and it is clearly listed in the pic of the OP (from the leak) that they are planned weekend things

I'm not saying there is anything inherently wrong with the weekend deals. I like the novelty of it, and despite there being big cons in the way they do their daily specials, I like those also. Makes them feel unique and special.

However, when you look at it as a whole, it looks a little strange. With all of the other issues. The leaks. The unmentioned sales. The strange choices (ie. Mordor). The LoTF swap. And now the fact that they are taking a new approach. It just seems... off.

I think the reactions are based off MS actually leading with those "test" discounts and then pulling them.

Those who are having said reactions based on a TEST page should have taken those prices with a comparably sized grain of salt.

I was excited at the prospect of trading in my physical copy to get a more or less even trade for the digital copy, but decided to wait and see if the thing would actually go on sale and for what price. Turns out waiting was the right thing to do. For $36, I'm just going to hang on to my physical copy.

I just found them. Very disappointing. For some reason I was expecting more from MS. I should know better by now after being an xbl member for 10 years. Maybe next time.

So in 10 years experience you know better then to expect much in their sales but you still hold out for "maybe next time"? That makes no sense

Still no word on when/if Lords of the Fallen is coming back?

Also, when (if ever) was Sniper Elite III retailing at £50? That digital tax.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
What kind of RPG is Costume Quest? How are the achievements?

Very simple turn based combat. All of your characters attack first and then the enemies get their turn. Hitting the attack button at point of impact can increase damage (can also increase guard/defense in the same way).

Characters build up a super attack through battle.
Achievements are very simple. Most are earned through basic gameplay. Some through finding all the hidden items (that aren't all that hidden)

E92 M3

Very simple turn based combat. All of your characters attack first and then the enemies get their turn. Hitting the attack button at point of impact can increase damage (can also increase guard/defense in the same way).

Characters build up a super attack through battle.
Achievements are very simple. Most are earned through basic gameplay. Some through finding all the hidden items (that aren't all that hidden)

Ah thanks. How long does it take to complete normally? I am in a mood for an RPG with good mechanics.

6. There is a wide array of games that are currently on sale, but aren't listed or advertised ANYWHERE as on sale. These are actually decent sales, and include games like Strider (66% off) and How to Survive: Storm Warning Edition (60%).

Which version of Strider is on sale? Both shows full price to me.

cakely

No $9 Lords of the Fallen and no 60% off Halo:MCC?

I was defending this sale before but it actually ended up being extremely "meh".

Chris1

In conclusion: Something is up. This really feels like they had no plans of throwing together a big sale, and decided to do it at the last minute. I've gotten a few games so I can't complain, but this really feels like an incompetent mess.
Agreed this has been one funny sale, and a complete mess. Don't forget the halo sale being delayed for a good 15 or so hours too, something I don't think has ever happened before. Kind of makes me think they never planned to put it on sale, but people expected it so they just went for it.

While Halo was never formerly announced to be a 60% price drop, I feel they should have just kept it at that. Lots of people were excited for it and expecting it, and were willing to buy it at that price despite the game STILL being broken, for them to then change it to 40% just doesn't make a whole lot of sense and anyone could see the frustration coming from a mile away. For 40% off I won't bother with halo, half of the game (and the most important half to many people) is still broken, so if they want to tempt me into buying it, it's going to need to be at least 50% off.

But yeah, it really does feel like MS did a rush job of it and had no plans of ever having an ultimate sale. The only thing I don't get, if they couldn't get a half decent sale going properly without weird stuff going on, why not put MS published games on sale? I'd jump on Ryse for $10-$15 for example and I doubt that game is selling in decent numbers any more, instead the only time that's went on sale was for 17% off which is just ridiculous.

Anyways, rant over.. Going to look into that sherlock holmes game since it's getting a lot of praise here. Hopefully next weeks deals with gold are much better.

Cavalier

Banned
60% turned into 40% off on MCC. No thanks.

If they fixed the matchmaking I wouldn't mind paying that much for the game. I'll pass for now.

Top Bottom