• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Music rebranded as "Groove", Xbox Video now "Movies & TV"

I dunno I think I like the new name. Gives me a weird Zune vibe. I still think the Zune software is one of the best looking things out there.

So I think that rebranding them something not Xbox makes more sense if they want them to do anything outside of Xbox [i.e. on Windows 10 and such] but the names are kind of meh

shandy706

They wanted to brand everything Xbox when the brand was strong at the end of the 360 days.

Now they want to remove the Xbox brand now that it isn't as strong I guess.

Pretty sure it makes a lot more sense to change it to something that has nothing to do with gaming.

Confident it has nothing to do with the "brand" of Xbox and its popularity. Not sure how one even comes up with that?

Xbox music is a good service I gladly pay for, the new name is fine. Sounds like some back end improvements too.

I like it because they give away tons of free albums sometimes...lol. The only "music" service I "sort of" pay for is Prime Music...and that was added to my already long running Prime membership.

"Groove" is a million x better than "Xbox Music".

hawk2025

Pretty sure it makes a lot more sense to change it to something that has nothing to do with gaming.

Confident it has nothing to do with the "brand" of Xbox and its popularity. Not sure how one even come up with that?

I like it because they give away tons of free albums sometimes...lol. The only "music" service I "sort of" pay for is Prime Music...and that was added to my already long running Prime membership.

You come up with that by seeing that it was changed to Xbox Music, then changed back. It was a clear attempt at leveraging the Xbox brand to other entertainment venues. It stands to reason that, if it's changing to something else, the plan didn't quite work.

Trup1aya

Sony renames their Music unlimited to PlayStation Music and MS renames Xbox Music to Groove which is quite opposite and strange. Even Sony Video unlimited now PS Video and Xbox Video to Movies & TV so Sony wants move to Playstation and MS wants move away from Xbox.

Well, Playstation is the best brand Sony has going for it at the moment, the same can't be said for MS and Xbox...

MS has too many non-gaming customers to be labeling their entertainment services "Xbox"... It was truly confusing for a windows only consumer to understand why they should subscribe to Xbox Music Pass... On the flip side of that, if you are a Sony customer right now, it's probably because you are a gamer...

Begaria

48947-Bruce-Campbell-groovy-gif-Eui2.gif

I'll see your Ash and Austin and raise both of you an Earthworm Jim!

1334887610459.jpg

foxdvd

they can call it what ever they want as long as the rumors of tivo/dvr coming to xbox one is true....

urbanOSU

Banned
I could care less what they call it, just catch up to Soony and allow me to stream music (not snapped) while I play a game. Sony nailed it with Spoitify.

facelike

Groove, really?

They should have just called it Microsoft Music. That uses the strong brand and explains to anyone, no matter the age, what you'll find there.

Wondering if they were pondering names like "Watch" or "Look" for the Movies and TV.

Groove, really?

They should have just called it Microsoft Music. That uses the strong brand and explains to anyone, no matter the age, what you'll find there.

Wondering if they were pondering names like "Watch" or "Look" for the Movies and TV.

I think Groove is a more catchy name than Microsoft Music. Someone sees me listening to music on my phone and they ask what it is, I feel like "Oh it's Groove" would stick with someone more than "Oh it's Microsoft Music." Microsoft also doesn't have the 'cool' factor that Apple does. I think Apple can get away with Apple Music, I don't think Microsoft would have as much success with Microsoft Music.

I'm terrible at photoshop, but someone alter the box art for How Stella Got Her Groove Back to instead be about Microsoft/Xbox.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Calling it 'microsoft' or 'windows' anything would be a terrible move because those brands really don't have much positive mindshare.

Groove is still quite terrible though. Zune is a thousand times better.

Alx

I was ok with just "Music" and "Video". Groove is better than Xbox, though. Hopefully the new voice commands will be smart enough to make saying the full name unnecessary.

Calling it 'microsoft' or 'windows' anything would be a terrible move because those brands really don't have much positive mindshare.

Groove is still quite terrible though. Zune is a thousand times better.

I'm not sure they could go back to Zune. A lot of people have a pretty negative connection with the Zune name. It lost hard to iPod and was seen as the mediocre competitor, I still hear people mock the brand now and then. Starting fresh is probably their best bet.

facelike

I think Groove is a more catchy name than Microsoft Music. Someone sees me listening to music on my phone and they ask what it is, I feel like "Oh it's Groove" would stick with someone more than "Oh it's Microsoft Music." Microsoft also doesn't have the 'cool' factor that Apple does. I think Apple can get away with Apple Music, I don't think Microsoft would have as much success with Microsoft Music.

I think that with a name like "Groove", a good amount of people would just ignore it without giving it a shot. I'm constantly teaching people about Streaming services and most people have no idea about them. Many of these folks are older than 30 normally but love our new music options when I introduce them to it. If I told them the service was called 'Groove', they probably wouldn't take it as seriously as a 'Apple Music' or 'Google Music'.

I'm sure MS wants many people of all ages, music tastes, etc to be part of the service and I don't think Groove works for that, unless the 'cool' demographic is their target audience, then I agree with you about the name.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Not a fan of the name, but it needed something to distinguish itself.

Good move, the Xbox name for anything other than the Xbox, or gaming related systems seems weird to me. Groove is a bad name though, so I guess it's maintaining the status quo.

I liked the word Zune more. You might suspect that I do since my avatar looks like the Zune logo.

This.

Why did they need to think of new name, let alone the one as generic as "Groove"? And it's not like Zune brand was damaged somehow or so... it's just faded without flop. (Not like flopped name can't be used for another time - Nokia used N-Gage brand for Symbian gaming service in mid-late 2000s.)

It would be actually a good idea to proberly introduce the Zune brand in Europe, by the way. I bet more people here know Zune for that free Windows XP theme:

Still, it's far better brand name than "Groove", and the Xbox services rebranding could be an ideal way to stop Zune brand from fading into obscurity.

shandy706

You come up with that by seeing that it was changed to Xbox Music, then changed back. It was a clear attempt at leveraging the Xbox brand to other entertainment venues. It stands to reason that, if it's changing to something else, the plan didn't quite work.

Nah, would be stupid even if Xbox was the #1 brand in the world. When I get on a windows PC, looking for "Xbox Music" would be the last place I'd think my music is located or purchased.

Or maybe they just want Xbox associated with gaming?

Makes sense.

Yep

Frog-fu

Banned
Good. Finally. For years I been saying they'd reach a much larger audience if they rebranded XBM, which is a really good service with a huge selection but alienates people outside of their ecosystem. Groove is a good name, now they should find one for XBV.

Top Bottom