• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Music rebranded as "Groove", Xbox Video now "Movies & TV"

Microsoft needs to step up their SEO game.

Pr2Eb0O.jpg

Edit: And here's for hoping they update their iOS app which is hot trash.

jelly

I don't think it's any worse than iTunes, Beats Music, Google Play Music, Google Play Music All Access, Spotify.

At least Groove is simple.

Zune was cool, even playing music on the desktop player right now but had it's time. Let it go.

PensOwl

Banned
Groove seems about equal to beats as far as names are concerned. I don't understand all the consternation over names when Microsoft doesn't have enough mindshare or invest enough effort to make the service competitive anyways.

Raide

Not sure about Groove but rebranding it away from Xbox Music makes sense. They want a Music system over all devices.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Let’s start with Music. Our fans asked for faster ways to access the music they love – quickly, efficiently, and on their favorite devices. And for that, we’re proud to introduce the evolution of our current Xbox Music experience, now titled Groove, with new features we think you’re going to love.

Who are these "fans" the MS is talking about? Windows 10 beta testers are fans now? Or anyone who downloads Windows 10 at the end of the month?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
All I know is my mother would never in a million years click on something labelled "Xbox"

"I'm not a gamer....."

etta

my hard graphic balls
Who are these "fans" the MS is talking about? Windows 10 beta testers are fans now? Or anyone who downloads Windows 10 at the end of the month?
Err, I thought Xbox Music passes sold well, didn't they?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Makes sense. Xbox is strongly associated with gaming, and the target group for music and movies is larger than gamers. They also avoid the misconception that these services are only available on Xbox consoles.

hawk2025

Nah, would be stupid even if Xbox was the #1 brand in the world. When I get on a windows PC, looking for "Xbox Music" would be the last place I'd think my music is located or purchased.

Yep

Hey, I'm not saying changing it to Xbox Music in the first place wasn't stupid.

Damn, not sure if I like it. I usually love the simplistic names, like Music, Movies and TV. Apple Music, Apple Pay. Hell, I hope the next Xbox is called just Xbox. I love that they changed from Smartglass to Xbox.

I hope they just call it Box.

etta

my hard graphic balls
They renamed Smartglass to Xbox? That's news to me. The app on my phone still says Smartglass.
On Windows 10. I assume they will change the smartphone/tablet apps either with Windows 10 launch or when the new dashboard hits.

Meanwhile Sony is renaming everything under the PlayStation brand, even a simple Spotify partnership as PlayStation Music.

Sign of the times, I guess.

Kinsella

Banned
So much for that short-lived plan of rebranding everything around Xbox. Not a good sign for the brand imo. As for the music service, it's great, and every year around Christmas they offer it for 50 bucks for a year. Unfortunately for them they were too stupid to make it so the service could be used in the background on Xbox One, so Spotify gets my money because it can be played while I grind in Destiny on PS4.

mcrommert

Banned
They wanted to brand everything Xbox when the brand was strong at the end of the 360 days.

Now they want to remove the Xbox brand now that it isn't as strong I guess.

Moreso that those in charge now don't want to dilute the xbox brand with non gaming stuff...last group wanted everything that was media to be xbox

Majine

Banned
So much for that short-lived plan of rebranding everything around Xbox. Not a good sign for the brand imo. As for the music service, it's great, and every year around Christmas they offer it for 50 bucks for a year. Unfortunately for them they were too stupid to make it so the service could be used in the background on Xbox One, so Spotify gets my money because it can be played while I grind in Destiny on PS4.

It's more of a re-positioning of Xbox as the umbrella brand for everything gaming, and nothing else. I think it will benefit the gaming brand.

Oh, branding. What a silly thing you are. And they all do it. Nintendo to a lesser extent, but it its still there. MS and Sony must have regular brainstorming sessions on this kind of thing regularly.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Oh, branding. What a silly thing you are. And they all do it. Nintendo to a lesser extent, but it its still there. MS and Sony must have regular brainstorming sessions on this kind of thing regularly.
Not silly at all. A good product without a good brand and marketing would not survive in this day and age.

Sydle

Makes sense. Every time someone asked me what music service I used and I told them Xbox Music the usual response was asking why I used a service that was accessible only on the Xbox.

I would have gone with the name Microsoft Music, or even go back to Zune, but whatever.

Bgamer90

Banned
Makes sense. Xbox is strongly associated with gaming, and the target group for music and movies is larger than gamers. They also avoid the misconception that these services are only available on Xbox consoles.

Exactly what I was going to say. Groove is a pretty silly name but most media services have silly names.

watership

Didn't they just brand them as XBox like a year ago or so?

Pretty close, 2.4 years ago. October 16, 2012. And Xbox Music the rebranding, re-org of the Zune music store, which was started in 2006.

Sounds like this branding the next stage to decouple MS services from single products. Having it called Xbox music made some of my friends think they can't use it because they didn't have Xbox Live.

UltraJay

They should have stayed with Zune. I still have a Zune80 and a Zune HD. The Zune software still has more features like autoplaylists than the new app ever did.

Magwik

Banned
Zune > groove > xbox music
Zune Software and hell the Zune web app were miles and miles ahead of the Xbox branding
What a waste

JP

It'd be interesting to know the reasons behind, not necessarily the reasons they're giving but the real reasons which may not be the same. I would have thought that they'd want toe Xbox brand associated with their services but I suppose with Windows 10 on the way they may not want to tie things into the Xbox brand too tightly.

It's the opposite of what Sony are doing with them adding the PlayStation branding to their additional services.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno I think I like the new name. Gives me a weird Zune vibe. I still think the Zune software is one of the best looking things out there.
I never had a Zune but back when Windows Phone 7 was new I had to use Zune software to sync data (photos, videos, music) between my phone and PC. It was (and still is) miles ahead what what you have to use now (ie. drag and drop in explorer which will sometimes time out, not copy mp3 tags correctly, etc.).

The Zune software didn't lag, and just worked. Not like itunes which has a heart attack anytime I open the bloody thing up.

/rant

Back OT I think getting rid of xbox form the name makes good business sense, too bad they could go for zune over groovy.

jelly

Next year: Groove Music rebranded back to Zune.

They'll probably bow out instead and go back to WMP. Speaking of that didn't that have something called Urge and there was also MSN Music, Play 4 Sure and when they shut that down so long to your purchased music, bravo Microsoft. Then came Zune which was ahead of it's time with the Social stuff, the Music pass, desktop software which is still great. They did kinda push Zune on 360 at least but their heart was never in it to improve and grow it. Xbox Music and Video didn't do much to improve either, actually got worse. Groove is a different name but if it's half arsed again, what's the point.

Top Bottom