• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox NEXT: The Games (we know about...)

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
I didn't want to have to go here, but you made me do it. Herein lies a compiled list of all the rumored and "confirmed" Xbox Next (Xenon) games. Updates or clarification from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Also, feel free to correct me if I've erred and feel free to provide short write-ups for the games I've just listed.

Confirmed(?) Xbox Next Titles So Far:

Black
Developed by Criterion - Published by Electronic Arts. Black is being touted as a revolutionary first-person shooter that makes you feel as close to the power of your weapon as possible. It's being described as some as doing to the FPS genre what the Burnout series has done to the racing genre. The game has alread earned high praise from the media who were lucky enough to see an early build at E3 '05.

Perfect Dark 0
Developed by Rare - Published by Microsoft. The original Perfect Dark on the N64 was one of the most highly-acclaimed FPS shooters of all time and this prequel has been one of the most heavily sought-after games in recent memory. Rare hasn't quite been the same as the Rare of old in recent years, but they can redeem themselve with a blockbuster release of PDO, which has been *heavily* hinted at by many Microsoft officials in the know. Story: A secret war has begun - between shadowy corporations bent on world domination. Joanna Dark and her father Jack are caught up in the fight for the future of the planet. A routine bounty hunting mission rips open a global conspiracy that will change Joanna's destiny - forever.

Halo 3
Developed by Bungie - Published by Microsoft. Whether it's touted as Halo 2.5 or Halo 3 (or both) another installment in the highly popular Halo franchise is guaranteed to be released early on in XBN's lifecycle because it's easily A) One of the most anticipated sequels of all time B) a lock to sell millions of units and console C) the one franchise that signle-handidly helped Microsoft compete with Sony and Nintendo. The story has purposely been left unresolved and many lofty features the Bungie team hoped to include in Halo 2 were left out.

Dead or Alive 4
Developed by Team Ninja - Published by Tecmo. The heads of Team Ninja and Tecmo have both expressed great admiration for Microsoft's upcoming next-gen console and have hinted at strong support. DOA4 has been confirmed by Itagaki himself and will feature the best graphics ever seen in a fighting game, online play, and (likely) new characters and moves. Where DOA Ultimate was essentially an online update to DOA3, DOA4 will be a completely new game in the popular franchise.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivian
Developed and Published by Bethesda. The sequel to one of the best-selling Xbox RPG's will yet again release early in the life of Microsoft's console. The developer promises an open-ended RPG with great depth and upgraded visuals, AI, and an even grander game world.

Ninja Gaiden 2
Developed by Team Ninja - Published by Tecmo. Ninja Gaiden for Xbox was one of the greatest action games of all time, sporting razor-sharp graphics, unbelievable combat, and great gameplay. The sequel will likely see the light of day towards the middle of XBN's lifecycle. Expect a whole new adventure for our hero, Ryu, with new weapons, new environments, updated graphics, and more online competitions. Many of the compaints of the first (difficulty and camera) will likely be addressed in this much-anticipated sequel.

Madden NFL Football 2006
Developed by Tiburon - Published by Electronic Arts. This upcoming version of Madden Football will be the only game that included actual licensed NFL teams, stadiums, and players. Say what you want about EA, but you have to admit that Madden series has evolved into an extremely high-quality product, with accurate graphics, gameplay and tons (and I mean tons) of modes. It's time for the Madden series to receive an engine overhaul for the next-generation of systems, so expect this XBN version to be as close to lifelike as you've ever seen in a sports game. Online play will be awesome as well.

The Godfather
Developed and Published by Electronic Arts. You play as an original member of the Corleone family in this GTA-styled game based on the popular Godfather movie franchise and your goal is to successfully complete missions to rise in the ranks of power in the your mob family. EA wants to one up the GTA series with better graphics and a "create your own adventure" type of story where your actions and decisions result in a unique story centered around you. Will this be the first true GTA-killer? Did I just say that? I'm such an ass.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Developed by EA Canada - Published by Electronic Arts. Anyone who's seen the early test renders of what a next-gen Need for Speed may look like can attest to the fact that this return to its roots can end up playing and looking awesome! The emphasis this time around will be on police chases like in Hot Pursuit because running from the police is cool nowadays, right? But don't think it'll end there. Expect multiple game modes, including old-school racing and a robust online mode.

Battlefield: Modern Combat
Developed by Digital Illusions - Published by Electronic Arts. The original uber-online World War II game, Battlefield 1942, was supposed to be released on Xbox, but never saw the light of day for whatever reason, unfortunately. To make up for it, Electronic Arts has scheduled a next-generation console release of a new version of Battlefield for XBN. Expect this game to feature tight graphics and center around the online experience (huge battles, clans, etc.). Don't expect controls or gameplay to be highly complicated because this franchise is surprisingly easy to learn, but difficult to master.

Fable 2
Developed by Big Blue Box - Published by Microsoft. Haven't had your fill of sequels yet? Good, 'cause here's another. Sure, Fable didn't live up to its hype--didn't deliver on its graphics, open-endedness, or much of anything else, but what it did do was create a fun little RPG that sold well enough (over 1 million!) to warrant work on a sequel. Eventhough this game took forever to come out, Big Blue Box still had features that were left out, and they will likely try to fit some of those things into the next iteration; whenever it comes out.

Burnout 4
Developed by Criterion - Published by Electronic Arts. What else can be said about a franchise that has improved with each iteration? The most recent, Burnout 3, was easily one of the best games of 2004, although sales were lackluster. With tons of cars, modes, and hours of fun to have, Burnout 3 proved its worth and Criterion proved its skill. Burnout 4 will raise the bar of super fast-paced street racing even higher.

Project Gotham Racing 3
Developed by Bizzare Creations - Published by Microsoft. Not much has been said about this new version of Project Gotham Racing, but hints have been all over the place, and all the signs point to a next-gen online-enabled PGR at launch. While PGR2's sales left much to be desired, its quality is unquestioned. It integrated online play and features like few games before it. The second-best selling Xbox launch title will have a sequel on XBN that will wow just as much as the first did on the Xbox.

Gears of War
Developed by Epic. What's being described as a third-person action game where you will be able to ride creatures and shoot stuff is yet another Unreal 3 engine-based game from Epic Games. You know it's going to look mindblowing. The question remains: How will it play and what will differentiate it from the rest of the 3rd-person action pack?

Code Chronus
Developed by Team Ninja - Published by Tecmo. Code Cronus will focus on the relationship between Kasumi and Ayane. It begins at early childhood and moves on throughout the course of their lives. It will be an Action-Adventure game for Xenon. (credit: Das Scotter)

More:

True Crime 2: Streets of Hong Kong
Dark Sector (from Digital Extremes)
Avalon (vehicular combat)
Heavenly Sword (think Dynasty Warriors)
Marvel vs. EA
FIFA Soccer 2006
NBA Live 2006
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 2006
SSX 4
Urbz 2
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
James Bond: From Russia with Love
FIFA Street 2
Half-life 2
DOA: Volleyball 2
Shadowrun RPG (MMORPG?)
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Quake 4
Tony Hawk's Underground 3
Ultimate Spider-Man
Call of Duty 2
Retribution FPS
Kameo
Sabreman Stampede
Condemned (Sega - Horror)
Mistwalker RPG #1
Mistwalker RPG #2

Probables:

B.C.
Sega Football 2K6
Killer Instinct
Conker 2
Rallisport Next
Citizen Zero MMORPG
New Banjo
New Crimson Skies
New Top Spin
New Amped
New Links Golf
Brute Force 2
Amusement Vision Game
True Fantasy Live Online
Soul Calibur III
Panzer Dragoon Next
Vanguard

Updated 2.28.05

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
sure is an aweful lot of xenon discussion this morning :lol

EDIT: pretty sure itagaki said their will be a sequel to dead or alive volley ball for xbox 2 as well, and whatever code chronus turns out to be

Solid

Official info on PDZ.

Perfect Dark Zero

--Now, you will be shown a brief description of Perfect Dark Zero - a prequel to the original Perfect Dark game.

Joanna Dark returns in the prequel to the multi-award winning first-person shooter Perfect Dark.

A secret war has begun - between shadowy corporations bent on world domination. Joanna Dark and her father Jack are caught up in the fight for the future of the planet. A routine bounty hunting mission rips open a global conspiracy that will change Joanna's destiny - forever.

Perfect Dark Zero is fully online compatible. Play through the story missions and experience multiplayer with more players than ever before on a home console.--

Blimblim

The Inside Track
You are missing quite a few games, like Shadowrun for example. Don't list it as a MMORPG though, I never heard it was one until last week's fatbabies rumor.

op_ivy said:
sure is an aweful lot of xenon discussion this morning :lol

EDIT: pretty sure itagaki said their will be a sequel to dead or alive volley ball for xbox 2 as well, and whatever code chronus turns out to be

Code Cronus will focus on the relationship between Kasumi and Ayane. It begins at early childhood and moves on throughout the course of their lives. It will be an Action-Adventure game for Xenon.

That is all that is known about Code Cronus.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
open_mouth_ said:
Confirmed(?) Xbox Next Titles So Far:

The question mark after confirmed is rather apt, no? ;) Like Ninja Gaiden 2, Fable 2, PGR3..they haven't actually been confirmed have they? Halo 3, technically, hasn't been announced yet (though, yeah, we know it's coming..but the others I highlighted..?)

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
gofreak said:
The question mark after confirmed is rather apt, no? ;) Like Ninja Gaiden 2, Fable 2, PGR3..they haven't actually been confirmed have they? Halo 3, technically, hasn't been announced yet (though, yeah, we know it's coming..but the others I highlighted..?)

Ninja Gaiden 2 was mentioned/hinted (clearly) by Itagaki in an interview. It's pretty much a given. As for PGR3, Bizarre Creations has a team dedicated to a new racing game and they're hiring (ASAP) 3D modellers for their upcoming racing game. PGR3 published by Microsoft at launch is a lock, imo.

Fatalah

The sooner these next gen consoles come out, the less "wow" they'll be. I need more time for the Gamecube's graphics to get stale. I mean, RE4 is awesomely beautiful, this gens power hasn't been squeezed the way the PSone and N64 was.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Fatalah said:
The sooner these next gen consoles come out, the less "wow" they'll be. I need more time for the Gamecube's graphics to get stale. I mean, RE4 is awesomely beautiful, this gens power hasn't been squeezed the way the PSone and N64 was.

That's true. But by the end of the year, all three consoles will have been pretty much milked dry (though for not as long as PS/N64 were).

ecofirt said:
Halo 3 published by Rare?

Didn't you hear? Rare is getting into publishing!

op_ivy

SecretSphere said:
Microsoft already starting with the viral marketing and hyping for xbox 2?

naw, just good ol' fashioned excitement. aint it great :)

Didn't Take-Two just acquire the XSN studio that put out Amped, Links, and Top Spin. They hinted those titles would also be released for Xbox2.

op_ivy

Amused_To_Death said:
Didn't Take-Two just acquire the XSN studio that put out Amped, Links, and Top Spin. They hinted those titles would also be released for Xbox2.

cant wait to see the next amped...

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Blimblim said:
You are missing quite a few games...

Any obvious ones that are already "common knowledge"? I don't want you to divulge any secrets that you're not supposed to. But anything else would be appreciated by all :)

I have a question about Battlefield: Modern Combat. I know this game was delayed to late 2005 and we haven't seen it since E3. Was it canned and moved to Xbox 2? Does anyone know how many player it will support etc?

I love the Battlefield series.

Same with Black, was it canned too?

Both are still very much in development. I'm not sure if MC will be released on all platforms because of the online intricacies, but the Xenon "port" was spoken of.

I have a question about Battlefield: Modern Combat. I know this game was delayed to late 2005 and we haven't seen it since E3. Was it canned and moved to Xbox 2? Does anyone know how many player it will support etc?

I love the Battlefield series. :D

Blimblim

The Inside Track
open_mouth_ said:
Any obvious ones that are already "common knowledge"? I don't want you to divulge any secrets that you're not supposed to. But anything else would be appreciated by all :)
I think you have listed most of the titles I "can" speak of and heard more than a simple rumour about. There is at least one more confirmed title I know, but this one I really can't talk about yet. You'll learn about this one sooner than you think anyway :)
Missing in that list are indeed the Ubisoft titles, I know there a few planned but I don't know anything more.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Doom_Bringer said:

I love the Battlefield series. :D

Black / B:MC and all other Q4 EA titles will be released on Xbox 2/Xbox/PS2 and NGC (not all of them on NGC though).

Blimblim

The Inside Track
PG2G said:
Hey Blim, how about some Sega hints? ^^
I really wish I knew more about Sega's titles since I'm a big fan of their games (when they are actually good). All I know is that the games hinted by AV's boss last year for Xbox could now be Xbox 2 titles. And this I know from one of my sources I trust the less.

jedimike

Thanks for the list buddy... I was actually thinking about doing this myslef yesterday, but you did it much better then I would have. Be sure to update it as things get announced.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
jedimike said:
Thanks for the list buddy... I was actually thinking about doing this myslef yesterday, but you did it much better then I would have. Be sure to update it as things get announced.

will do. if anything gets announced/cancelled/revealed, I'll be sure to update it here to reflect. Same if more details about a particular game arise. Help from others will make things easier and more accurate.

PG2G

Isn't there that game by the group that made Kung Fu Chaos also? I forget it's name...

Nm, think that was heavenly sword.

Datawhore

on the 15th floor
PG2G said:
And what the hell is Marvel vs EA?

IIRC, EA has licensed the rights to create a fighting game starring Marvel characters. In addition, the game will also star characters based on their existing IP (say, Moby from SSX) or completely new IP that EA creates. Marvel, in turn, has licensing rights to create comic books based on the new EA-owned characters that they create for the game.

COCKLES

being watched
XENON IS AWESOME!
xbanana.gif
xbanana.gif
AWESOME IS XENON!

Prine

Banned
Id like Rare to make PD Zero a 3rd person action adventure like RE4. The camera behind the back + strafe

Would rock

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
I hope I'm not the only person who thinks this is a REALLY uninteresting list of games. Out of all of those, the only ones I really want to play are Burnout 4, the new PDO game and SC3, and the second two are only "probables", not to mention the fact that BO4 and SC3 probably won't be exclusive.

Although this lineup looks like it'll be awesome for the Bungie's My First FPS loving crew. :lol

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
I must say I am looking pretty sold at this stage, a new Banjo game would be the icing on the cake!

banjo Kazooie is still the best 3d platformer IMO!

Wulfer

Say it with me, Next Box or NXBX it quick, it's easy, it marketable and it fall's right in line with Xbox Live or XBL. Think NXBL..... This is what M$ should make the name it just makes since. Next Box is catchy, and it sounds futuristic.

Suerte

I'm pretty sure XBox Next will be called XBox 2 or XBox Something and not Xenon, they won't want to drop the brand name they've built up.

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
Yeah, pretty sure Xbox 2 it'll be. I remember them running a survey with dumb names like Xbox 2000 and shit...

Top Bottom