• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One’s Game DVR, SmartMatch, NFL, TV Guide Restricted To Xbox Live Gold Members

Deriok

Banned
Many Fighting game and hack and slash players don't play online yet would love the DVR functionality. People enjoy offline games and would like to access applications that are free on every other device ever.

Oh you mean these events without internet that broadcasts their tournaments on twich.tv? Gotcha.

In all seriousness, there are very few public places without access to an internet connection these days.

What an utterly ridiculous thing to say.

Many people buy an Xbox just to play single player games and at no time go online or have the need to access friends lists.

Why should these people not be able to record their gameplay just for their own use? Part of the product they are buying is that it is a DVR and they are being locked out of it.

Many people buy these consoles for offline use only? I'd be surprised by how "many" that is.

And I don't see the need to record gameplay for self use? The point is to share these videos with friends or on the internet. Now for the 0.001% of people that would like to look at themselves play and who don't have access to the internet, well tough luck I guess...

As I said, it's no big deal.

Short and simple Microsoft seriously fucked up on the strategy of this system. The shit keeps piling on. Sweeping policy changes late in the game, spec changes (even if minuscule) on the shipping hardware, and just a fundamentally inexplicable approach to media delivery. So i pay for Netflix Hulu etc but I should pay msoft also for the privilege of watching on their console?

Krakn3Dfx

I don't believe that shit for a second. They aren't that stupid, right?

They should be lowering the barrier if they want this thing to succeed as a media-box. Not add paywalls.

On the website listing for XBL Gold "Features" on the One, it lists:

"Experience premium entertainment apps including movies, TV shows, music, sports and more."

That sounds like where Netflix would sit to me.

kartu

Banned
Dear Sony,

please do us a favor and make "this is how you record video/watch youtube with Sony PS4".

Thank you in advance!

PS
<a virtual link to "american pie" animated gif that I forgot to bookmark the link to>

Pillville

They said that clips you save are automatically added to the cloud and can be accessed from anywhere.

Other than that, i think that specific apps like twitch (and I assume FB and YT too) can upload directly to their services.

"the cloud" doesn't mean anything. Someone help me out.

For XB1 and PS4, are we talking
MS/Sony Servers
Twitch
YouTube
UStream
??????????

Deku Tree

That's why I sold my xbox 360. When Bungie left xbox exclusivity, there was no more reason to put up with this cheapness.

Not surprised one bit. As many said, Xbox without Gold is useless.

I still don't understand why apps are behind a paywall, i really hate Microsoft for that and i can't recommand the console to my casual friends who want and video player and a game machine. These casuals will never pay a gold membership for apps, it's just ridiculous !

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Um how did you expect to be able to share any gameplay without gold? You cNt even use Netflix and that's not even something Microsoft runs off their servers.

You basically don't get to use any online capable feature without gold. So this isn't surprising.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Many people buy these consoles for offline use only? I'd be surprised by how "many" that is.

And I don't see the need to record gameplay for self use? The point is to share these videos with friends or on the internet. Now for the 0.001% of people that would like to look at themselves play, well tough luck I guess.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/12/02/mi...of-xbox-live-users-pay-for-gold-subscription/

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=22437

So, about 50%.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
They said that clips you save are automatically added to the cloud and can be accessed from anywhere.

Other than that, i think that specific apps like twitch (and I assume FB and YT too) can upload directly to their services.

Also there's the gamertag.xbox domains

So any clip you save will go on there - basically be a Facebook/youtube and maybe twitch style hybrid if they can get the integration.

(None of this has been confirmed yet)

An Xbox without Live Gold is pretty useless, anyway. Hence why I don't own one anymore.

Likewise. Gold with the X360 is a horrible deal if you don't play online games all the time. My X360 sits on the floor collecting dust. Don't even game on it anymore due to it sounding like a leaf-blower (launch refurb).

Skilletor

Oh you mean these events without internet that broadcasts their tournaments on twich.tv? Gotcha.

In all seriousness, there are very few public places without access to an internet connection these days.

And I don't see the need to record gameplay for self use? The point is to share these videos with friends or on the internet. Now for the 0.001% of people that would like to look at themselves play and who don't have access to the internet, well tough luck I guess...

I don't need to pay for Gold to upload offline matches to Youtube.

Stop being dense.

Also, wasn't it something like 30 million 360 owners don't use internet for the console?

mishakoz

So if you have a live account, play with it in say january, and then decide to go offline for a couple of months, during which your gold expires, will it let you record your games in march as long as you dont reconnect?

edit: or knowing MS it will delete the game recordings as soon as it sees "Oops you werent authorized to record yourself playing video games. only we can do that. /joke

This isn't a surprise at all.

When you look at the people who record gameplay footage....do you see them NOT being Gold members? I highly doubt anyone who is Silver has any intentions on recording footage and uploading it.

Really? Single player games don't need Gold. Do you know how many people upload game walkthroughs online?

Um how did you expect to be able to share any gameplay without gold? You cNt even use Netflix and that's not even something Microsoft runs off their servers.

You basically don't get to use any online capable feature without gold. So this isn't surprising.
I just expected them, moving into the next gen, to make some practices less shit. That was probably naive.

Raymo

"the cloud" doesn't mean anything. Someone help me out.

For XB1 and PS4, are we talking
MS/Sony Servers
Twitch
YouTube
UStream
??????????

Sony uses Sony servers to share videos across PSN. They stream with Ustream. You can also upload videos to facebook and youtube.

Microsoft uses the Cloud to share videos across Xbox Live. They stream with Twitch.

I think that is all we know right now.

mocoworm

Many people buy these consoles for offline use only? I'd be surprised by how "many" that is. And I don't see the need to record gameplay for self use? The point is to share these videos with friends or on the internet. Now for the 0.001% of people that would like to look at themselves play, well tough luck I guess.

It is tough luck I agree but your self-righteous, 'if you can't afford gold then don't get an X1' is the main point of disagreement here. Logic seems to evade you it would seem. Many people do not need online services.

[EDIT] 46m gold accounts - 76m consoles sold. You do the math... if you can.

Ardenyal

Why would you do that? The sharing thing is like free advertising when people are posting that shit on facebook etc.

farisr

Yeah, you have no clue. Xbox 360, a console lauded for its online functionality, had 50 million owners who didn't have a Gold subscription. That's a big portion when you see the total console sales for the 360 haven't even reached 80 million yet.

With so many people 'shocked' about this news, I have to wonder, were you really planning on picking up an XB1 without Gold? I feel like at this point, Gold is such a necessary feature, that it makes the Xbox pretty useless without it.

Unless of course you're not planning on picking one up at all, and then your genuine shock is justified...I guess. It is Microsoft after all.

Whenever the time comes when I pick up an XBone I won't be subscribing to XBL. Adding features which are free on everything else to your subscription model to create "added value" stinks. I don't play multiplayer games, so there is no way in hell I'd pay a subscription so I could upload videos, watch Netflix or Youtube. Where the value for money in that? I'll be able to do all that on my PS3/4/PC for no extra cost.

I don't mind paying for PS+ because it gives me something back in the form of games, so having multiplayer in there makes no difference to me, other than I'll actually still be able to play it if I did want to. If PS+ was purely about mulitplayer and hiding things behind a paywall I wouldn't pay for that either. Thankfully Sony actually offer you value to your subscription.

What an utterly ridiculous thing to say.

Many people buy an Xbox just to play single player games and at no time go online or have the need to access friends lists.

Why should these people not be able to record their gameplay just for their own use? Part of the product they are buying is that it is a DVR and they are being locked out of it.

xbox1.png

Because Xbox live subscription is a 100% attach rate

right

http://www.geekwire.com/2013/microsoft-24m-kinect-sensors-sold-xbox-live-reaches-46m-members/

JudgeB

Banned
Let's be honest a majority of people "shocked" at this will have Gold anyways, so it's a non-issue. Plus, it's MS and their paywall, hardly shocking by any means.

That's a pretty big deal for me...this is the next-gen feature I was most looking forward to. Once they did away with the DRM BS, I was back in the Day 1 crowd. Now, I don't know.

This is crossing another line, making offline features online-dependent again.

Pillville

Sony uses Sony servers to share videos across PSN. They stream with Ustream. You can also upload videos to facebook and youtube.

Microsoft uses the Cloud to share videos across Xbox Live. They stream with Twitch.

Thanks for the info, but "the Cloud" doesn't mean MS Server. It's not an MS term. It just means "server on the internet".
"CLOUD" can be MS, or Amazon, or Google, or Joe Smith's Cloud Emporium.

How many? More than 30 million.

Last numbers quoted was that out of 77 mil X360s sold, 46 million were XBL subscribers.

Yes, that number include the free Silver membership.

Let's assume 60-65% pay for Gold. That is only around 30 million Gold members.

I'm actually surprised. I figured they'd have the basic features for uploading/recording and then offer "benefits" for the people on Live, like in-app editing and more storage if it isn't YT or the like. Kind of like with Skate how you could 'buy' the extra camera features and such.

So we are moving from arbitrarily locking online features that are free on other platforms behind a paywall to also doing the same for offline features.

How do you like that taste of the corporate wet dream cloud computing / software as a service future?

Yup :(

This isn't just a swipe at microsoft... this is where everything is headed. It sucks.

Raymo

Thanks for the info, but "the Cloud" doesn't mean MS Server. It's not an MS term. It just means "server on the internet".
"CLOUD" can be MS, or Amazon, or Google, or Joe Smith's Cloud Emporium.

Same thing MS's cloud or ms's servers, whatever.

Tamanon

Banned

So they both use the Cloud then.

Guymelef

Well, Sony confirmed the feature is free.

With that said, you can share your recorded videos with your friends through PSN. It doesn't look like it is hosted on youtube facebook, or youtube in all cases. So, sony must be storing shared videos somewhere.

If the PS4 shared videos aren't simply embedded Youtube videos in PS4 interdace and are in Sony's servers i think that share videos will be behind PS+.

Top Bottom