• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One’s Game DVR, SmartMatch, NFL, TV Guide Restricted To Xbox Live Gold Members

Short and simple Microsoft seriously fucked up on the strategy of this system. The shit keeps piling on. Sweeping policy changes late in the game, spec changes (even if minuscule) on the shipping hardware, and just a fundamentally inexplicable approach to media delivery. So i pay for Netflix Hulu etc but I should pay msoft also for the privilege of watching on their console?
Come on now...seriously...

since I see that stat brought up a lot, I wonder how many of those "never connected 360 to the internet" consoles are due to the fact that the original 360 models never came with a wireless adapter, and were ethernet only.

Deriok

Banned
Yes you can. You can create a generic login and play games not connected to Live at all. Much like you don't need a PSN account to play PS3 games.

Thanks. Just for the sake of thinking this through, let's say we have 28 million Gold for 50 million functionning Xbox. That's 50%. Now there's a good portion of people that don't use their Xbox anymore, and there's also countries where internet is not such a common thing. The Xbox One is a new console though, so the first point won't apply. For the 2nd point, I believe the Xbox One won't be sold in underdeveloped countries from the get go, so that should shrink the numbers even more so. If you take the number of 360's which are still in use and were sold in developed countries, I'd be surprised not to see a very serious Xbox to Gold ratio.
Now I'm not trying to play the straw-man. But if you're going to throw numbers around, you have to consider the circumstances of said numbers and appropriately reflect them to another scenario if you want to get answers out of them. I'd say 50% of Xbox to Gold is pretty skewed if we're talking about actual active Xbox, in countries where the Xbox One will be available for sale. That is the demographic we should be looking at if we really want to know how many gamers really do play offline and actually can buy an Xbox One.

N2NOther

Banned
Why should Gold be necessary if I'm recording a single player game and uploading it online? Really?

It seems everyone is assuming people will only record multiplayer gameplay footage....
I'm gonna go with the "uploading it online" part with the "online" part being key.

Also, Sony has a "share" button on the actual controller so I highly doubt an on controller feature would be behind a paywall.

There should be more people saying, "Fix this shit MS!" instead of people saying, "I'm not shocked; it's expected". Maybe they would do another 180, since they're so keen on listening to the consumers these days. Yeah right; wishful thinking.

Portugeezer

is there a link where sony confirms this feature is not behind PS+? I
Not that I know of.

But Sony seems to be more logical with as far as what requires PS+ such as netflix/etc and f2p games not requiring PS+.

Wouldn't make sense for this system wide feature to be locked out when you don't even upload footage to Sony servers. It's Ustream.

aceldama

Banned
Why are people getting bent out of shape over a feature that absolutely no one will use anyway? It's a useless feature to begin with.

Monsieur

Banned
And this is why I wouldn't buy another Microsoft product. I didn't even have a ps3 this Gen and wished I would because of free apps + online. Don't even use my Xbox anymore cuss its basically useless without gold.

If I wanted media apps like YouTube or Netflix, I'll just buy a roku, chromecast, neogear, etc. Am not gonna pay for a subscription for my other subscriptions. Ugh such a shit company as far as satisfying the customers is concerned.

JudgeB

Banned
How many? More than 30 million.

Last numbers quoted was that out of 77 mil X360s sold, 46 million were XBL subscribers.

Yes, that number include the free Silver membership.

Let's assume 60-65% pay for Gold. That is only around 30 million Gold members.

No, that doesn't mean that over 30 million people don't use Gold. It's not as simple as taking the difference of consoles sold and Gold members.

You are assuming there is only ONE Xbox purchased per Gold member. Meaning that any Gold member who ever bought an Xbox only bought ONE xbox. My house personally accounts for 2 Gold members, but we have purchased a total of 6 machines over the 360's life cycle. Now, not sure how the silver plays in, but I doubt it's that cut and dry as others have stated.

On the flip side though, some households have 1 or 2 Xbox(s), but 4 Gold accounts (family membership).

Either way you look at it, there's really no way of telling what the actual percentage or number is, so people need to stop pulling random numbers, such as 30 million in your post, out of thin air.

x8xseu9xje.gif

Keep grasping, duder.
Seriously. I'm on my third X360. Only paid for it once.

Microsoft really is just winging it, and figuring it out as they go along with this console, right? I know that a lot of the teams at MS are mismanaged, with important decisions being held up by middlemen and needless bureaucracy, but they really don't have a vision for this console after the 180.

Why is this a big deal again? Who the fuck would buy an XB1 without gold, or a PS4 without PS+ anyways? These are next-gen consoles selling at a premium. If you can't afford 40-50$ per year, you should maybe reconsider buying these consoles in the first place and put your money elsewhere.

How about not try to rip off consumer that already make them plenty of money.

Please do share your insider info with us.
You don't need insider info to read what Sony has publicly stated. That these feature aren't behind a paywall. They even made a handy chart for E3 to show exactly what PS+ includes. The only difference to current gen is online multiplayer. F2P games can opt out from that if they want. Netflix and all the other apps are free as well.

What is wrong with that post?

Microsoft's road to launch has been anything but a smooth ride.
Besides the DRM crap, what else hasn't been typical of any product launch?

Seriously, the guy made a big deal about MS updating graphics drivers 4 months before the console launches.

Why are people getting bent out of shape over a feature that absolutely no one will use anyway? It's a useless feature to begin with.
Useless? Sony devoted real estate on the PS4 controller for this "useless" feature. Obviously there are people who want this functionality.

Portugeezer

since I see that stat brought up a lot, I wonder how many of those "never connected 360 to the internet" consoles are due to the fact that the original 360 models never came with a wireless adapter, and were ethernet only.

Probably less than the amount which is from users who bought a second console due to having a faulty one.

No you seriously junior? He made a few good points.
No he didn't. It's the typical clueless drama queen BS that has become canon around here. Besides the obviously bad DRM PR debacle, what has MS done that isn't typical of any product launch?

In this case, it was MS staying with the status quo, yet this guy decided it was a good opportunity to pile on.

Krakn3Dfx

Reading through this thread, the same people who are okay with/defending MS continuing to put 90% of their console behind a pay wall are the same people who defend everything MS does and says.

It's pretty crazy just how far those people are willing to be pushed in the name of Halo.

Either way you look at it, there's really no way of telling what the actual percentage or number is, so people need to stop pulling random numbers, such as 30 million in your post, out of thin air.

Fair point. I shall exercise more caution in making assumptions.

Sandfox

Why is this a big deal again? Who the fuck would buy an XB1 without gold, or a PS4 without PS+ anyways? These are next-gen consoles selling at a premium. If you can't afford 40-50$ per year, you should maybe reconsider buying these consoles in the first place and put your money elsewhere.

What about people who only use their consoles for things besides games?

Reading through this thread, the same people who are okay with/defending MS continuing to put 90% of their console behind a pay wall are the same people who defend everything MS does and says.

It's pretty crazy just how far those people are willing to be pushed in the name of Halo.

Is there a term for pushing to a higher level of Stockholm Syndrome? If not, there needs to be.

JawzPause

At this point it's news if something isn't behind the XBL paywall, so I automatically assumed that this is.
Tbh ever since this whole 180 bs they've been pulling I've been expecting them to announce Netflix isn't behind the paywall on XBO, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
So we are moving from arbitrarily locking online features that are free on other platforms behind a paywall to also doing the same for offline features.

How do you like that taste of the corporate wet dream cloud computing / software as a service future?

They've been doing this for years, Durante.

They arbitrarily delay game demos for non-gold users, for instance. I wouldn't call that an "online" feature either. And most online games used peer-to-peer connections, not servers.

It's always been about arbitrarily inflating the value of Gold to get people to accept the notion of a paywall for online gaming.

Sony's doing the same thing with PSN+, except they're using a bait and switch tactic (start PSN+ as a discount/free games service, transition it to a multiplayer paywall and make the deals on discounts and "free" games less generous over time). You WILL see PSN+ libraries grow more slowly over the next few years than they have previously.

It could be that those people OK with the pay wall actually like the services that are offered. Xbox Live has always been far ahead of PSN and if it takes a fee to make that happen, I'm all for it. PS + is a great deal, but it doesn't make PSN any better for online gaming. Obviously this could change for PS4, but I'll wait to see it, first.

You're also assuming Xbox One is a Halo box. That's like saying PS4 is an Uncharted box... completely ridiculous.

rothbart

How could anyone be shocked at this? I mean really.

I don't think anyone is really shocked that Microsoft is arbitrarily doing this, what I find shocking is that several people are trying to legitimize/justify Microsoft's reasoning/thinking on this topic. It really comes down to "because we f*cking can and you'll gobble that sh*t up" nothing more, nothing new.

Steroyd

Is that all you play? Are you getting PS+?

What if's are like quifs.

Personally my single-player-that-doesn't-need-to-be-online clock time heavily outweighs online multiplayer to ever justify subscribing to XBL.

PS+ I'm already subscribed to because they offer alot of single-player-that-doesn't-need-to-be-online games to play.

Top Bottom