• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One adds Xbox 360 backwards compatibility

The Flash

Banned
This is depressing

tumblr_lrdkhknLCw1r22bauo1_500.gif

I remembered that Guardian Heroes HD was a thing and voted for it as soon as I remembered. I hope that it comes out, there's no way that game and Radiant Silvergun are pushing the 360 that hard so the emulation shouldn't be too tough.

shanafan

The debate over "This game doesn't deserve to be number one" or "Why is this game not even in the top 20" is so completely objective, let's just celebrate that Xbox One is even getting backwards compatibility!

Xx9gcWK.png

I get the sense that the BC might not be up to snuff for some of the more taxing games right now. What's the most taxing game it currently supports, ME1? And that game suffers from some framerate issues.

While i would love for them to open the floodgates and let the games flow, clearly there's still some work happening to bring the emulation up to snuff. Rather they get that ironed out some more so that the more complex and trying games are as close to 100% as possible

I get the sense that the BC might not be up to snuff for some of the more taxing games right now. What's the most taxing game it currently supports, ME1? And that game suffers from some framerate issues.

While i would love for them to open the floodgates and let the games flow, clearly there's still some work happening to bring the emulation up to snuff. Rather they get that ironed out some more so that the more complex and trying games are as close to 100% as possible
Wasn't the framerate issue because Xbox One v-syncs ME1 and not the original? I'm sure they are aware of more taxing games wanting to be ran in BC mode.

Idk. Something is up IMO. At the rate MS has been going with updates on the system I'm surpised it's taken this long to add more games. Yes, it's only been a month and, yes it's only in preview but they push out updates quite regularly on the system. If it was that simple I feel they would have added at least one or two more games by now.

Doing so would at least further increase confidence in the community that this is legit and not another Xbox 360 emulation fiasco.

Wasn't the framerate issue because Xbox One v-syncs ME1 and not the original? I'm sure they are aware of more taxing games wanting to be ran in BC mode.

If it's really that simple then they need to shift over to a triple buffering vsync solution (this allows for vysnc with little to no performance penalty) or just leave games as is. If ME1 is really dropping because of Vsync then that means that they're using double buffering, an older vysnc solution that can drop a ton of frames and one that really shouldn't be used at all given that emulation is taxing enough as it is.

Ungh. I only want the console exclusives. Mostly...

• Red Dead Redemption
  • Halo Reach
  • Crackdown
  • Earth Defence Force 2017

I feel like we're so close to having every mainline Halo game at 60 fps on XB1 that having Reach be the exception when even ODST got a remaster would be a real shame. Reach is my favorite of the Halo games gameplay-wise so I hope that it comes. I can see why they're in no rush to bring that out given that people would expect the MP to come over, too, unlike with ODST.

Now, i'll totally settle for BC support regarding Halo Wars lol

man i'm dying to play civilization revolution, i hope that's in the next update.

That game is on iOS devices. It's the same exact game, other than the graphic presentation. Also, it's too damn easy. If you've ever been into a PC Civ game, you'll breeze through CivRev, even on the hardest difficulties.

HTupolev

Wasn't the framerate issue because Xbox One v-syncs ME1 and not the original?
Digital Foundry thought that was the issue, but the difference is very large in spots, and the frame-time graph is indicative of a triple-buffered approach that in theory should have almost no effect on framerates.

Bizzquik

I believe Phil Spencer tweeted we may not see many new games as they are testing the emulation not the games themselsves as much. If they get the emulation worked out the games will follow if I understand correctly.

Yup, he already said not to expect new games during Preview.

His tweet: Preview as really us working on emulation, not the portfolio, with the way BC works it's more about getting emulation right.

Top Bottom