• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One adds Xbox 360 backwards compatibility

MacBosse

Ok MS, get a digital store running on X1 for compatible 360 games and my wallet will be on fire. No joke. Just manly tears of joy. Gaming joy.

Since the only way to get these games digitally is to either own an Xbox 360 already or buy them from the web store, is MS finally going to get around to removing the fuckery behind not allowing you to buy games from the 360 web store without having a credit card on file even if you have enough credit on the account to buy the game?

I'll have to imagine that by actual launch there will be a section of the Xbox One store that offers Xbox 360 BC games. Telling people to go to the website isn't a real solution

This will be a huge boon for Microsoft's digital game sales. Publishers are gonna love this! I don't think they'll have any problem approving games for BC.

Majine

Banned
So third parties will have to give their "go ahead", but what about Microsoft themselves? The cynical part of me thinks they wouldn't greenlight Gears of War when Ultimate Edition exists.

I'll have to imagine that by actual launch there will be a section of the Xbox One store that offers Xbox 360 BC games. Telling people to go to the website isn't a real solution

Without a doubt in my mind that's what they are planning on doing. Makes perfect sense.
Also, Games with Gold and EA Access adding 360 titles, too.

My fingers are crossed for a stealth Xbox Originals section, too.

So third parties will have to give their "go ahead", but what about Microsoft themselves? The cynical part of me thinks they wouldn't greenlight Gears of War when Ultimate Edition exists.

They said all their first party titles will be there - excluding Kinect stuff since that won't work. Multi-Disc titles are iffy right now, Phil said they would take extra tweaks to get working.

That being said, their page on the Xbox.com site has this image:

lEnrdLJ.jpg

Gears is in there, so expect it. :)

So is Halo Wars, Halo Reach, ODST (which is already in MCC @ 1080p60 sans Firefight) Alan Wake, Fable 2, Halo 3, Borderlands (which they demoed in the vid) and more. I'm thinking the library will be quite vast.

Microsoft already said yes to all first-party stuff. They're even offering the Rare games even though they'll also be included in the Rare Replay later this year

In my mind, there isn't a reason for publishers NOT to do it. If their games are being sold on Xbox Live that means the licenses are all good and it's legal to sell. It also means that the publishers have a desire to see their games continue to sell digitally otherwise they'd pull them. So really just giving the thumbs-up to MS and say "Yeah, put it on the BC store" makes a lot of sense and zero effort on their part

cool_dude

Banned
I was just reading the "eat crow" thread that was bumped from last year about how we'll never get BC and the mods locked it due to "console wars"??? Whaaaa? There was no mention of any console superiority in there, only serving crow. Why did it get locked???

Any good Xbox news on GAF is shot down so quick!

stn

If they actually make all my 360 games BC, I'll be investing in a 1TB XB1. The thought of having everything on one console is VERY enticing.

Erasus

Sort of but not really. Xbox One runs Xbox 360 OS as an app, which runs the game. No specific fixes required for each game, apparently, but the full game does need to be downloaded (with emulator) and it runs off the hard drive. Discs are simply used as authentication method.

Pretty sure early PS3 had PS2 hardware built in for backwards compatibility.

Yes. Those could run all PS2 games.

Im talking about the PSN PS2 games.
You can play those on any PS3. And they are not remasters. They are basically ISO dumps + gamefixes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_Classics
Example:
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...saga/cid=EP4015-NPED00140_00-GSHINMEGAM000001

Sony are dumb and hides the complete list...

You can play those on any PS3. And they are not remasters. They are basically ISO dumps + gamefixes.

Example:
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...saga/cid=EP4015-NPED00140_00-GSHINMEGAM000001

There are exactly 100 PS2 Classics on the PSN Store. Basically no big titles, though, I assume for emulation-related reasons. The PS2 emulator in the PS3 is actually really shit, and a lot of publishers had trouble getting their games to work properly

In my mind, there isn't a reason for publishers NOT to do it. If their games are being sold on Xbox Live that means the licenses are all good and it's legal to sell. It also means that the publishers have a desire to see their games continue to sell digitally otherwise they'd pull them. So really just giving the thumbs-up to MS and say "Yeah, put it on the BC store" makes a lot of sense and zero effort on their part

The only reason a pub might say no is they are planning to release a HD Xbox One version and they don't want to undermine that.

Or if there's some weird backend cost to them. Like, MS charges the pubs some small fee if/when the BC version is downloaded.

Zabka

If it weren't for Bloodborne and SFV getting an Xbone would be a no brainer for me.

It's comforting to hear that, other than multidisk games, there's no work to be done to get 360 games on XB1 now that the heavy lifting of getting the emulated VM running is done. Hopefully this will encourage publishers to aprove as many games as possible since they can benefit from digital sales in the long run by having their games available in a current platform.

Yeah this is a really good sign that hopefully this support is carried on into future generations of systems. There are a bunch of retail and Live Arcade games that I can see myself coming back to over and over again for the next ten+ years.

The only reason a pub might say no is they are planning to release a HD Xbox One version and they don't want to undermine that.

Or if there's some weird backend cost to them. Like, MS charges the pubs some small fee if/when the BC version is downloaded.

Microsoft would still take their storefront fee, but not an extra BC fee.

When you buy a BC compatible game, you're not buying a BC version of that game, you're buying THE GAME. You could then go sign in to a real 360 and download it like normal

If they actually make all my 360 games BC, I'll be investing in a 1TB XB1. The thought of having everything on one console is VERY enticing.
Would be cool indeed, but you know licences from some games are just not going to be able to be made. I love the tech they have done though, running a 360 virtual machine and the One just recognising it as an ordinary game. It really keeps me hopeful for them carrying it on into a next generation in the future.

Erasus

There are exactly 100 PS2 Classics on the PSN Store. Basically no big titles, though, I assume for emulation-related reasons. The PS2 emulator in the PS3 is actually really shit, and a lot of publishers had trouble getting their games to work properly

Never said it was a great implementation, just that it has sort of been done on the PS3. And correcting the person I quoted.

MS seems to be throwing much more weight behind it though and have made a way better implementation.

Never said it was a great implementation, just that it has sort of been done on the PS3. And correcting the person I quoted.

MS seems to be throwing much more weight behind it though and have made a way better implementation.

I wasn't trying to correct you, just providing further info ^^

Example:

Yeah that's not really the same thing. For sure it's emulated and what not and they may run fine, but Sony makes you re-buy these to own on PS3. This feature is full backwards compatibility as in you can stick the 360 disc into the drive and are able to play at no extra cost. The games don't run off the disc, but the disc is required for authentication. Digital games will work straight up. If you buy the game from the store, you'll be buying the 360 game, and it will work on a 360 and an Xbox One - they aren't repackaged emulated/ports of old games that Microsoft are re-selling. As far as the game is concerned you are running the game on a 360, with all the 360 features like multiplayer, parties, etc. intact as long as the servers are still running. As far as the Xbox One is concerned you're running an app, so all the Xbox One features like DVR, etc. work over top.

Theonik

The big problem with PS2 software BC on the PS3 was that the PS3 was actually weaker than the PS2 is some aspects making it difficult to implement. Specifically the GPU memory bandwidth was much lower. This is why Sony was able to offer near perfect BC with software emulation of the PS2 CPU and hardware acceleration for the GPU on the G2 PS3s.

A limited number of games were compatible with a software emulator Sony built but Sony scrapped it until they released the feature for some PSN games.

What I'm wondering is, since the Xbox One is running the Xbox 360 OS in a wrapper, and the 360 OS could emulate some OG Xbox games, could this run OG Xbox games? I wonder... Star Wars Battlefront 2 and Halo CE, 2 would be awesome. I'm curious if that's even possible - they'd probably have to pay Nvidia - and it would probably be more efficient to just emulate OG Xbox hardware on the Xbox One. If they could do that I'd be floored.

Grabbed by the Ghoulies on the Rare 30 disc is almost certainly running on an OG Xbox emulator inside the Xbox 360 emulator.

Think about it. Rare is not going to port GbtG to Xbox One when there's already a 360 emulator, and when the 360 was already capable of running GbtG via emulation.

Not only am I virtually certain it is possible, I fully expect to see it made available at some point, at least for some of the Xbox Originals series.

BigDug13

You can't really compare this announcement to previous gens. People didn't have a library of DIGITAL PS2 games when PS3 came out. People didn't have a library of digital OG Xbox games when the 360 came out.

Now people have shit on their live account. I always said during the XBO reveal that it was a huge mistake to disregard BC in the first era where gamers have a digital library of games on console. It totally negated any hook to keep people in their ecosystem. If XBO had offered BC when PS4 wasn't, you better believe that much fewer gamers would have jumped ship from 360 to PS4. It may really help their sales to people still on the fence.

Erasus

I wasn't trying to correct you, just providing further info ^^

Alright, sorry :3

But yea the PS2 Classics PSN thing is really bad, there isnt even a way to list them all. Plus all the region restrictions.

I really wanted this but uuh.....
Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction
Not available Australia, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Netherlands, New Zealands, Norway,Poland, Portugal, Russia, Sweden, Turkey, Ukraine

Hope MS opens this up between regions too. And also that almost every 360 game will work, seems like they made most of their third party stuff available, demanding games like Halo and Gears too.

shanafan

It's like, COD fans, GTFO.

Srsly

Why all the hostility towards COD fans? We are just as excited for BC as anyone else and should have an equal say in what titles we wish to have on the list.

COD is one of my all-time favorite franchises, but I also am a big fan of RDR and ME. The more titles with BC, the better. This is a great service, and am very excited to see how much support Microsoft and third party publishers give to it.

Grabbed by the Ghoulies on the Rare 30 disc is almost certainly running on an OG Xbox emulator inside the Xbox 360 emulator.

Think about it. Rare is not going to port GbtG to Xbox One when there's already a 360 emulator, and when the 360 was already capable of running GbtG via emulation.

Not only am I virtually certain it is possible, I fully expect to see it made available at some point, at least for some of the Xbox Originals series.

They weren't joking when they said Xbox One had layers of OSes. I expect the digital Xbox Originals will work at some point, as like you said they're just the game running in the Xbox Original OS emulator and "repackaged" as 360 digital titles.

What would be SO COOL, is if they could get the Xbox Original discs working. If I could pop in Fable Lost Chapters (which worked on 360) and it downloads that game from their servers and it works... Not only would my mind be blown, but I would be so unbelievably happy. Fingers crossed HARD for that.

Ok, everyone that added me a friend up until now has now been requested to be in the preview program.

I'm up to date with everyone.

If you messaged me but didnt add me, then add me as its teh easiest way to do this. :)

Ok, everyone that added me a friend up until now has now been requested to be in the preview program.

I'm up to date with everyone.

If you messaged me but didnt add me, then add me as its teh easiest way to do this. :)

wanted to say thanks, i got into the preview only a couple hours after you messaged me, the registration is just in pending now. big big thanks!

It's a whole 360 VM, not ported APIs like WINE

I also don't believe it is frame accurate though Phil suggested otherwise

I have a hard time believing they could write a PPC emulator that would be fast enough on the XB1 to run a game like Mass Effect. It *has* to be taking advantage of APIs at some level.

clav

wanted to say thanks, i got into the preview only a couple hours after you messaged me, the registration is just in pending now. big big thanks!

Warning users that the preview builds are highly unstable on fast resume.

I can rarely shut down my Xbox properly unless the power setting is changed to energy-saving, which turns off fast resume and silent updates.

Without a doubt in my mind that's what they are planning on doing. Makes perfect sense.
Also, Games with Gold and EA Access adding 360 titles, too.

My fingers are crossed for a stealth Xbox Originals section, too.

They said all their first party titles will be there - excluding Kinect stuff since that won't work. Multi-Disc titles are iffy right now, Phil said they would take extra tweaks to get working.

That being said, their page on the Xbox.com site has this image:

lEnrdLJ.jpg

Gears is in there, so expect it. :)

So is Halo Wars, Halo Reach, ODST (which is already in MCC @ 1080p60 sans Firefight) Alan Wake, Fable 2, Halo 3, Borderlands (which they demoed in the vid) and more. I'm thinking the library will be quite vast.

I'm seeing Shadow Complex and Shadowrun as well. Good news!

I have a hard time believing they could write a PPC emulator that would be fast enough on the XB1 to run a game like Mass Effect. It *has* to be taking advantage of APIs at some level.

The crazy thing is from my testing last night Mass Effect actually runs better than on my Xbox 360. That could just be due to it running off the HDD though since the main improvement I noticed was virtually no texture pop-in and load times reduced quite a bit - at least 50% to the Presidium.

crpav

Got a question about a few games. I setup my cloud on my 360 and moved over saves I had for some of the supported games. Several games however don't have any save files to copy or move over and I have played them and never had cloud save setup previous.

Top Bottom