• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Meanwhile at the hidden Sony lair:

Congratulation Double-Agent Phil Harrison for a plan well executed.

For only $3750 did you accomplish that now every YouTuber that speaks positively about the Xbone will be trolled endlessly about being paid off for your opinion on anything related to Microsoft, thereby poisoning the well for years.

We thought it would be too transparent by setting the budget so low and the obvious ethics violations but we underestimated that when it comes to Microsoft people believe anything.

AngryMoth

Yeah the whole don't tell anyone part makes this pretty gross. Makes you wonder how much of this stuff is going on unnoticed

If I understand this correct, what MS is doing is bribing YT channels for showing positive commercial about the Xbone WITHOUT showing it actually is a commercial? Normal ada and commercial are we being told they are ads and commecial, but not this?
Exactly. They want only positive user videos with no corporate attachment, no criticism no matter how justified.

I wonder how many "marketeers" has Microsoft hidden in Neogaf.

lRvVkni.gif
A shit ton over last summer.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Kotaku:

Tina Amini
How much did Sony pay you for this article? 4 minutes ago

Jason Schreier
Not nearly enough. Hear that, Sony? SEND MORE MONEY. 2 minutes ago

EVERYBODY BOUGHT
MUCH MONEY

swcpig

Banned
I think the uproar is a bit out of proportion. But it's been at least 3 hours since a negative story about Microsoft so two-feet, let's jump in.

I think it's a bit lame though. Good product should sell itself. And honestly, the Xbox One is a GOOD PRODUCT. Microsoft just seems to be a REALLY SHITTY promoter.

Then again, not sure how this is different than Sony astroturfing reviewers during their "launch reveal" with name plated PS4s.

The game industry is one big sess pool from a manipulation and marketing standpoint. Frustratingly, it lives in the shadow of Hollywood and will be bush league until this stuff stops.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
If I understand this correct, what MS is doing is bribing YT channels for showing positive commercial about the Xbone WITHOUT showing it actually is a commercial? In normal ads and commercials are we being told they are ads and commecial, but not this?

Yes. It's essentially video based astroturfing. However, they're using established people to do it.

fantomena

Meanwhile at the hidden Sony lair:

Congratulation Double-Agent Phil Harrison for a plan well executed.

For only $3750 did you accomplish that now every YouTuber that speaks positively about the Xbone will be trolled endlessly about being paid off for your opinion on anything related to Microsoft, thereby poisoning the well for years.

We thought it would be too transparent by setting the budget so low and the ethics violations but when it comes to Microsoft, people believe anything.

I remember Double Agent Phil.

He did interviews so bad after the Xbone reveal that everyone thought he was (is?) a secret Sony employeer. :p

Hey man, we're not all bad, I was calling this whole thing bullshit two days ago

I'm still waiting to see if the big dogs like Boogie or Angry Joe will comment.

Even if Joe doesn't comment (I'd be surprised if he doesn't, though) he's one of the few guys I'd trust not to have anything to do with this. I mostly think the same about Boogie but that whole Major Nelson thing kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

I think the uproar is a bit out of proportion. But it's been at least 3 hours since a negative story about Microsoft so two-feet, let's jump in.

Microsoft brings all this shit onto themselves.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I wonder how many "marketeers" has Microsoft hidden in Neogaf.

lRvVkni.gif

Probably not much anymore since Bish stepped up during the main invasion. Survivors are lying low, but there is also active group of members, called 'Church of Coldfoot' and they are hunting surviving marketeers/shills down.

NHale

So this is what Major Nelson was referring as the truth? He was so eager about the truth coming out, I'm guessing this is their definition of the truth. Brought to you by the Power of Kinect and the Magic of Bribery.

Its definitely gross, but I have full faith in MS legal. I think they'll be fine on that front.

Why do you have faith in Microsoft saving their asses on this? So your only worry is that MS isn't doing anything illegal even if it's completely shady and anti-consumer? I guess that dissipates any doubt about your interests...

kitsuneyo

I watched this video the other day from one of my favourite YouTubers, the lovely Rosanna Pansino:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ndxu7gg4cs

It's a tour of her new fridge, which full of branded products like Perrier (who buys that?) which are neatly arranged on the shelves. She says why she likes each one.

I thought to myself, wow, YouTubers can get paid for product placement and don't even have to disclose it! No wonder she hasn't made the jump to TV yet!

I'm thinking these FTC rules people are quoting probably don't apply to YouTube.

Aren't we piling on Microsoft for simply playing the system too well?

Yes this deal is gross, but isn't it the case that Machinema and other popular YouTube accounts actively facilitate this kind of scummy behaviour?

It's easy to criticise Microsoft (I do it all the time), but I think what's more important here is this news shatters the illusion that YouTube gaming channels like Machinema provide a more credible or authentic type of games coverage than the regular gaming press.

I think it's a bit lame though. Good product should sell itself. And honestly, the Xbox One is a GOOD PRODUCT. Microsoft just seems to be a REALLY SHITTY promoter.

Then again, not sure how this is different than Sony astroturfing reviewers during their "launch reveal" with name plated PS4s.

The game industry is one big sess pool from a manipulation and marketing standpoint. Frustratingly, it lives in the shadow of Hollywood and will be bush league until this stuff stops.

I see... so because MS has been fucking up we shouldn't make more stories about their different fuckups?

Mononoke

Banned

Woah. I completely thought people that were saying microsoft was bribing people to say good things about the X1 were just tin foil hatters.

Whelp. Time for me to go eat crow.

I knew someone that was in advertising, and the tin foil hatters aren't tin foiley enough! Marketing is embedded everywhere. They have gotten smart, and have people working their angles slowly in forums, and places like Reddit (this one a little bit more obvious).

Tripon

Here's what I don't get: Machinima has an editorial staff on site for its Inside Gaming section that covers news/events/what have you.

Don't you think Machinima as a company realizes how this compromises their editorial section to make it even more a joke it currently is?

If you ever took them seriously before, you simply can't now. And I actually like Inside Gaming, even if its just Dude Bro's giving news to other Dude Bro's. Inside Gaming is just fucked now.

Piggus

Just in case anyone missed this little gem from the official FTC document on this subject:

QAfFOlh.png

hzhAs3y.png

I threw in Example 8 as well to demonstrate that MS has absolutely no problem with violating FTC rules with the amount of fucking shills they throw at this place.

I'm really starting to hope that this is their last console.

Recall

MS can't catch a break here. right after a positive weekend of Titianfall impressions this drops in their lap. smh

or all the shit that has never come to light.

There are a lot of Activision shenanigans that forever falls by the way side as studio don't want to burn bridges.

AkuMifune

Banned
MS just doomed every legitimately positive YouTube video for at least the near future to be viewed with suspicion and the comments will be sure to highlight this issue. Scummy, possibly illegal and executed incompetently.

I know! It's the best.

You know someone on the marketing team thought they stumbled into the best idea ever. What could go wrong?

Yeah the whole don't tell anyone part makes this pretty gross. Makes you wonder how much of this stuff is going on

Which we will never know because I'm sure anyone who has participated can't / won't say anything. This story may not have legs if MS/Machinima refuse to comment.

Zornack

Even if Joe doesn't comment (I'd be surprised if he doesn't, though) he's one of the few guys I'd trust not to have anything to do with this. I mostly think the same about Boogie but that whole Major Nelson thing kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

I haven't watched much Joe but in the few epodes I caught around E3 he had a giant Superman logo chilling in the background and that was right around when the movie was coming out. What was that about?

PBY

Banned
Why do you have faith in Microsoft saving their asses on this? So your only worry is that MS isn't doing anything illegal even if it's completely shady and anti-consumer? I guess that dissipates any doubt about your interests...

I said it was gross. I was just engaging the legality discussion, so no that isn't my only worry.

Again, way to ignore half of my posts to twist them into some sort of console war thing.

AlexMogil

Last generation Sony created a fake PSP blog made by a some hip gaming meme dropping moron. As people caught on and posted responses on the blog that basically stated "We're on to you," the blog writers started deleting posts. Sony finally fessed up to it and admitted it was deceiving.

This generation Sony can stand in a building with the lights off and ship PS4s because Microsoft is doing all the promotion needed by repeatedly shooting themselves in the head, missing, and shooting again and again.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I watched this video the other day from one of my favourite YouTubers, the lovely Rosanna Pansino:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ndxu7gg4cs

It's a tour of her new fridge, which full of branded products like Perrier (who buys that?) which are neatly arranged on the shelves. She says why she likes each one.

I thought to myself, wow, YouTubers can get paid for product placement and don't even have to disclose it! No wonder she hasn't made the jump to TV yet!

I'm thinking these FTC rules people are quoting probably don't apply to YouTube.

Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by any of the products or brands talked about in this video. All of the brands I mention are things I use and enjoy.

The_Lump

Banned
My guess at how they'll inevitably squirm out of this: "We were not aware of this practice. An outsourced division of marketing took it upon themselves to set these contracts up, unaware that this was against our policies. We have taken the necessary steps....yadayadayada".

Top Bottom