• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One and Samsung 40in 1080p Smart HDTV for $500 (Best Buy 8/9)

noomi

Just order it for store pickup...

So I put mine up on eBay for $280 +$30 ship. Does anyone have experience shipping something like this? Since it comes unopened in a box, should I do anything else?

You can still get this deal. Just have them order it for you. They were willing to do this for me, but my parents got it at a different store instead.

It keeps saying "This item is not available for store pickup in your area."

What the hell, I need dis!

TMC

It keeps saying "This item is not available for store pickup in your area."

What the hell, I need dis!

I was referring to actually going to a Best Buy location. They will be able to order it for you in their system in store.

noomi

I was referring to actually going to a Best Buy location. They will be able to order it for you in their system in store.

Ahhhh ok gotcha, I thought you guys were ordering online and then just going to the store when it shipped. I'll check it out during my lunch break, thanks.

TMC

Ahhhh ok gotcha, I thought you guys were ordering online and then just going to the store when it shipped. I'll check it out during my lunch break, thanks.

No problem. It shouldn't take long either for it to arrive in store. I know there was a guy behind me who wanted to order it yesterday because they had the TV's but were sold out of Xbones. They told him that they could get the Xbone in on Wednesday.

Lnkn52

Looks like I was too slow to jump on this, sold out everywhere in my area :(

When you go to the store, make sure to have the TV Model (or have the bestbuy page with the sale on your phone). When I went yesterday, the employees had no idea of the sale.

Edit: Well I start Destiny on Xbone as well....
NOPE

noomi

When you go to the store, make sure to have the TV Model (or have the bestbuy page with the sale on your phone). When I went yesterday, the employees had no idea of the sale.

Edit: Well I start Destiny on Xbone as well....
NOPE

I'm honestly more excited for the TV, my wife and I are due for an upgrade. I will most likely sell the xbox right away... maybe...

Quantum Break is all I want :p

Lnkn52

I'm honestly more excited for the TV, my wife and I are due for an upgrade. I will most likely sell the xbox right away... maybe...

The TV is pretty good. It's a Smart TV with Netflix, Hulu etc. I have it in the bedroom and the wifi antenna is more than capable of receiving the signal and streaming without hiccups.

The Xbox in in the living room with the other consoles.

Skilletor

I'm having issues that are really bothering me. Haven't bothered googling anything and haven't been keeping up on XB1 stuff since I had no intention of buying one so soon. Probably super common issues with really simple solutions and I'll look stupid for having asked, but any answers would be appreciated:

1. My controller will randomly disconnect for like 1 second, pause the game, then require me to press a button to unpause the game.
B. The download and install speeds are seriously ps3 slow. The console says I'm getting 24mb/s download, but this is not reflected in my download speeds. I'll deal with that, but the console doesn't seem to install stuff when I put it in rest mode. I do not have it in "energy saver mode," the console IS in the instant on mode.
3. There are several games from the rare replay that need to install. I don't know why this wasn't done automatically. Are these games that need to download instead of installing from disc? They're all 360 games.
3Q. These games would not install automatically, they just queued up and required me to initiate installation manually. Is this normal?
5. Ori and the Blind Forest is amazing.

Thanks for any answers.

Contrast being at 100 cannot be right. I know there are some calibration methods which do not work that great and you can't really tell a difference when increasing or decreasing the contract setting. The contrast is only at about 76 comparatively on my primary TV.

See, that's what I thought, but turning down the contrast definitely dulled the white colors, so it seemed to be working as intended. It's not like the setting wasn't working, it's that right before turning it up to the point on the calibration picture said it should be, it maxed out. I'll take another look at it after the TV has had more use, I did this basically first thing once I turned it on

I'm having issues that are really bothering me. Haven't bothered googling anything and haven't been keeping up on XB1 stuff since I had no intention of buying one so soon. Probably super common issues with really simple solutions and I'll look stupid for having asked, but any answers would be appreciated:

1. My controller will randomly disconnect for like 1 second, pause the game, then require me to press a button to unpause the game.
B. The download and install speeds are seriously ps3 slow. The console says I'm getting 24mb/s download, but this is not reflected in my download speeds. I'll deal with that, but the console doesn't seem to install stuff when I put it in rest mode. I do not have it in "energy saver mode," the console IS in the instant on mode.
3. There are several games from the rare replay that need to install. I don't know why this wasn't done automatically. Are these games that need to download instead of installing from disc? They're all 360 games.
3Q. These games would not install automatically, they just queued up and required me to initiate installation manually. Is this normal?

Thanks for any answers.

1. This is a known problem. I haven't experienced it myself so I don't have any troubleshooting for you, but there is a thread on here dedicated solely to that problem. I don't know if anyone found a fixed, but it's not just you! I'd search it up and see what's what

2. This I don't know what to tell you. It looked like it was going pretty slow for me last night, but MCC is a big fucking game. In my experiences with downloading software, your speed-test speeds (for you, the 24mbps) NEVER match the actual download speeds. Ever. But on the whole, there could be a variety of things causing a slower download. As for not downloading in rest mode, I'd do a full console restart (turn on energy saving, turn off, unplug, turn back on, change it back to instant-on) and see if that does it

3. The Xbox 360 games in Rare Replay are installed separately from Rare Replay, since these games specifically use the Xbox 360 Backwards Compatibility as opposed to the emulation present in all the other titles. So yes, you will have to manually install them. They should be able to install from the disc
3Q. Yes, that's normal for those specific games from Rare Replay

5. I hear it totally is, can't wait to try it

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Just so I don't feel like a complete idiot, I can see a line of white just above the Samsung logo on the bezel. I tried changing the picture size and position but it's always there. This isn't intentionally there, is it? That light drove me mad last night and I haven't had a chance to call in today.

Skilletor

See, that's what I thought, but turning down the contrast definitely dulled the white colors, so it seemed to be working as intended. It's not like the setting wasn't working, it's that right before turning it up to the point on the calibration picture said it should be, it maxed out. I'll take another look at it after the TV has had more use, I did this basically first thing once I turned it on

1. This is a known problem. I haven't experienced it myself so I don't have any troubleshooting for you, but there is a thread on here dedicated solely to that problem. I don't know if anyone found a fixed, but it's not just you! I'd search it up and see what's what

2. This I don't know what to tell you. It looked like it was going pretty slow for me last night, but MCC is a big fucking game. In my experiences with downloading software, your speed-test speeds (for you, the 24mbps) NEVER match the actual download speeds. Ever. But on the whole, there could be a variety of things causing a slower download. As for not downloading in rest mode, I'd do a full console restart (turn on energy saving, turn off, unplug, turn back on, change it back to instant-on) and see if that does it

3. The Xbox 360 games in Rare Replay are installed separately from Rare Replay, since these games specifically use the Xbox 360 Backwards Compatibility as opposed to the emulation present in all the other titles. So yes, you will have to manually install them. They should be able to install from the disc
3Q. Yes, that's normal for those specific games from Rare Replay

5. I hear it totally is, can't wait to try it

Word, thanks. I did the full shut down this morning before work because one of the games in the rare replay had been stuck at 51%.

That sucks about the controllers.l I have a second controller that I haven't tried yet. I'll play with that and see if it happens. I love the analog sticks and rumble on these.

noomi

Well.... I went to my store in person, and they were not able to order this for me. They are now being completely blocked from ordering more of these deals in every store apparently.

The sales person I spoke with told me to call best buy 800# and they told me the same thing. The person I spoke with on the phone told me to ask for a rain check, so if they get more of these tv's in stock I'll still be able to get the deal.

They actually had the tv's in stock but already committed to someone online, if they don;t pick their tv up in 8 days the deal is mine, or if they get more tv's in I get the deal as well..

Now I wait....

Well.... I went to my store in person, and they were not able to order this for me. They are now being completely blocked from ordering more of these deals in every store apparently.

The sales person I spoke with told me to call best buy 800# and they told me the same thing. The person I spoke with on the phone told me to ask for a rain check, so if they get more of these tv's in stock I'll still be able to get the deal.

They actually had the tv's in stock but already committed to someone online, if they don;t pick their tv up in 8 days the deal is mine, or if they get more tv's in I get the deal as well..

Now I wait....

DAMN. Was hoping to order in store after work today

Chris1

Thanks for any answers.

1. I've never had this issue but I've heard its an issue with too many electronics messing up the signal. Try moving your phone or whatever away from your console and see if that helps it.
2. I get normal speeds, try running speedtest through the console(Detailed network stats, not speedtest.com) and checking the bandwidth usage section, that will show exactly how fast your internet is downloading at that time.
3. It's backwards compatible titles so yes this is normal.
3q. One of them should have automatically downloaded, when that finishes it should move onto the next. Do a hard reset if it doesn't
5. Indeed

Thanks for any answers.

controller is defective. RMA it.

Syriel

Word, thanks. I did the full shut down this morning before work because one of the games in the rare replay had been stuck at 51%.

That sucks about the controllers.l I have a second controller that I haven't tried yet. I'll play with that and see if it happens. I love the analog sticks and rumble on these.

You either have some crazy interference or it's a defective controller.

The only time my controller disconnects is when the battery is about to die.

jadedm17

Mad that I missed out on the deal but I can get the xbox for 285. Good deal to GAF or wait for BF?

Fatwallet.com and Slickdeals.net are your friends.
You could have got a new MCC bundle + controller + $50 giftcard from Bestbuy recently for $350, so I'm gonna say no, not the best.

Heysoos

Now I wait....

Hm. My friend did an order just today. Guess it depends on the district.

cyber_ninja

If that was a PS4 I'd go home and break my TV just to sell the idea to my wife.

Go home, break your tv, then go buy that bundle and trade your xbox for ps4. :)

Btw, does anyone not need the xbone and willing to sell it or trade it for ps vita and some cash? If so, pm me.

Qwan3356

ordered mine at one store for pickup at another closer to my home. Couldn't pass this deal up. I need the TV. . . not so much the Xbone thou.

Scarphace

Fatwallet.com and Slickdeals.net are your friends.
You could have got a new MCC bundle + controller + $50 giftcard from Bestbuy recently for $350, so I'm gonna say no, not the best.

I know, I missed out on that didn't have the funds then. I wish something like that would come back around.

I got the bundle yesterday, but I'll be selling the TV. I wouldn't have minded an upgrade over my 39in Insignia I've had for a few years, but I couldn't get the picture configured in a way that made my PC look right when plugged in.

I use my PC on my TV and one of the issues I had with this Samsung was when I highlighted a sentence in Microsoft Word and colored it red, the text was practically unreadable, like the black text was blurring into the red highlight. I tweak about every setting, but I just couldn't get it to look as sharp as my older 39in TV.
The quality of the blacks on the TV were good, better than my Insignia, but I found the ghosting to be a little more noticeable on it to the point where it bugged me (I tried the Master Chief Collection and I could definitely see it when I looked around).

Still happy I jumped on the bundle though, if I'm able to get $350 for the TV on Craigslist I'll basically have gotten my Xbox One for $150!

I got the bundle yesterday, but I'll be selling the TV.
Still happy I jumped on the bundle though, if I'm able to get $350 for the TV on Craigslist I'll basically have gotten my Xbox One for $150!

Sweet.
I did the reverse. Keeping the TV to give as a birthday present, and I just sold the bone for a reasonably cheap 300 flat, local so no shipping. End result: TV for $217, not bad at all.

Put the TV on craigslist and someone took it off my hands for $350. Really happy I got this deal right as I actually started to take some interest in the Xbone. Thanks as always GAF you have allowed me to attain so many awesome deals. This was almost as cheap as the Every Two Minutes promotion we managed to get Xbones from.

Wallach

I ordered online yesterday, and it looks like they shipped my order today, though in separate packages (the XB1 looks like it'll get here tomorrow while the TV not until Friday).

Anyone know if these boxes are using the controllers with the updated bumpers? Or are those not even out yet?

Anyone know if these boxes are using the controllers with the updated bumpers? Or are those not even out yet?

I didnt even know there was a controller revision. What was wrong/changed?

Or do you mean the super expensive elite controllers? Those are definitely not here.

Wallach

I didnt even know there was a controller revision. What was wrong/changed?

Or do you mean the super expensive elite controllers? Those are definitely not here.

They're switching over the bumpers to ones that apparently behave more like the 360 bumpers. I know the Elite controller will already have them since it doesn't ship until late October but I wasn't sure when the regular controllers would switch over.

dci260

I got the bundle yesterday, but I'll be selling the TV. I wouldn't have minded an upgrade over my 39in Insignia I've had for a few years, but I couldn't get the picture configured in a way that made my PC look right when plugged in.

I use my PC on my TV and one of the issues I had with this Samsung was when I highlighted a sentence in Microsoft Word and colored it red, the text was practically unreadable, like the black text was blurring into the red highlight. I tweak about every setting, but I just couldn't get it to look as sharp as my older 39in TV.
The quality of the blacks on the TV were good, better than my Insignia, but I found the ghosting to be a little more noticeable on it to the point where it bugged me (I tried the Master Chief Collection and I could definitely see it when I looked around).

Did you happen to try it in game mode? I only ask because I still haven't decided if I should keep it over my current TV or not, and as of now I have yet to remove it from the box...
*Any insight from other adopters of this bundle would be appreciated as well*

I ordered online yesterday, and it looks like they shipped my order today, though in separate packages (the XB1 looks like it'll get here tomorrow while the TV not until Friday).

Definitely the old controllers. No 3.5mm jack on the bottom, either. Is the new one supposed to have that?

DirtyLarry

Alright, picture quality is definitely decent. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a "true white" out of the contrast options (even maxed out it wasn't white enough. Don't know what I expected with this set). The main thing with the calibration is that setting it to game mode (which you need to do) also turns off a lot of options. Some of them are good (it automatically disables stuff like dynamic contrast and motionflow) but some of them are weird (it locks you into Limited black range, which isn't terrible since you can just set your console to output that but it is baffling). It also locks the sound output to game mode with no way to change it.

Now I'm not saying you should copy my calibration settings, because lord knows I'm not super into this and probably fucked something up, but here's what I came away with (all calibrated in a pitch dark room, btw. That does make a difference):

Contrast: 100
Brightness: 44
Snarpness: 10
Color: 43
Tint: G49/R51
Picture Size: Screen Fit
Color Tone: Warm2

In speaker settings I had to up the audio delay to 80, since I am using the TV speakers for now until I move/get a sound system

The input lag seemed totally fine on my end, no issues whatsoever. However, take that with a grain of salt since I only notice that stuff if it's pretty bad, and on PC I generally play with vsync on all the time, which purist cry adds input lag. Which I'm sure it does, I'm not saying they're wrong, I just don't notice it.

For the price (that is, $250) I am more than satisfied.
Thanks for sharing, going to give it a whirl later on tonight when I go to bed, and I am quoting it so I can easily find it. Cheers.

charpunk

Apparently they are doing substitutions for the Xbox and tv. Any of the 500gb units, and two different tvs that are both garbage. One is an Insignia, the other a Toshiba. Both of them are less than $300 normally, and both are bottom of the barrel models.

Besides the problem of the tv, the other 500gb units are super discontinued. Really hoping they cave and start offering the 1TB unit that has mcc with it.

Did you happen to try it in game mode? I only ask because I still haven't decided if I should keep it over my current TV or not, and as of now I have yet to remove it from the box...
*Any insight from other adopters of this bundle would be appreciated as well*
Yeah, I tried pretty much all the settings trying to get it looking right (at least what I consider right) with my PC plugged into it.

I didn't actually play any of the Xbox One games in "game mode", so I don't know if that improves the ghosting at all.

Top Bottom